1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

3rd gen - True crawlin thread.

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016+)' started by In4aride, Jun 10, 2019.

1. Nov 17, 2020 at 6:39 PM
    Tacoma1192

Tacoma1192 Well-Known Asshole

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Northridge, CA / Park City, UT
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB Sport
    BFG 39's, LT, 4 Link, Spidertrax 9"
    yep, I moved the frame rail 5” inward. The tire clearance is still close at full stuff on 39x13.5 BFGs. I gave myself plenty of clearance because I didn’t want to notch the frame twice. I cycled it like crazy with tires before welding the mounts in. I kept the shocks mounted to the axle as far out board as possible and kept the shock as close to straight up as down as possible. It takes times but worth cycling many times with tires mounted, measure and then measure again.

When @In4aride was doing his, I mentioned this to him the first time that his tires would rub... hahaha it happens. There’s a whole lot of moving parts and things to keep track of when linking.

7232B4CD-F82E-4301-9EF9-C5624697B250.jpg

2. Nov 17, 2020 at 7:21 PM
    Anderson5290

Anderson5290 Drive it like you stole it!

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Corona, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD OR 4x4
    Tuned Fox 2.5 resi with dsc, JBA HD UCA, total chaos knuckle gussets, rear trd pro fox shocks, Deaver U402 stage 1 rear leafs, archive garage u bolt flip with fox 2.0 air bumps, White knuckle off road rock sliders, BAMF 1/4” steel skids, Magnaflow exhaust, Archive Garage Hammer Hangers, Cbi high clearance rear bumper, 285/75/16 tires.
    I always remove the coils to cycle everything and leave the slider on since it’s the same diameter as the spring. Then slide it up and down on the shock body where it could touch the frame or tire and clearance where necessary. No biggie.

Epic3rdgen and In4aride [OP] like this.
  3. Nov 17, 2020 at 8:26 PM
    Epic3rdgen

Epic3rdgen Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    A-A-ron
    Vehicle:
    2016 ACab OR
    +2 TC LT Custom build Dosilate Motorsports Bumpers tires wheels gears lockers
    O wow ok I’m wrong again. I know you guys enjoy doing this to me... ok I just ordered 40’s. I hope CARB gives Magnuson the # .. my supercharger is paid for and sitting on there dock.. Thanks for all the tips guys. Hind sight is always crystal clear. I hope we’re all having fun cuz I sure am..

4. Nov 18, 2020 at 4:24 PM
    rlx02

rlx02 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Member:
    Western WA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Inferno DCSB TRD OR 4x4
    Sweet can't wait to see it done.

5. Nov 18, 2020 at 9:38 PM
    Epic3rdgen

Member:
    First Name:
    A-A-ron
    Vehicle:
    2016 ACab OR
    You !!! I’m just about over it ... it’s been down ...what 3 months. If I would have known the BS I’ve had to deal with and the mountain I had to climb to get the bracket lift installed with the long travel to fit the tie rod problems.Then King Shocks denying my measurements twice before they would help me on the custom shocks. Than build and engineer the super 3 link. Than fabricate it . Then modify the steering pump and all the new custom lines to support that. Then mount the shock towers and the shocks only to be wrong. This entire build has been 3 steps forward and 2 steps back. I probably would have just left my truck the way it was.. lol The new tires are KM3s 40x17x12.5. I’m so ready to go back to driving my truck to work every day. And get my boring normal life back..I’ll be done by Monday. This is the crawling thread ! I’m ready to crawl and enjoy the holidays. There going to shut down this country again...and all well have is enjoying our trucks and crawling..... Cheers

JTFisherman, rlx02 and In4aride [OP] like this.
  6. Nov 18, 2020 at 11:07 PM
    In4aride

In4aride [OP] www.warfabarmor.com Vendor

Member:
    Best-Slope, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Pile of go slow parts.
    Welcome to building anything outside of the box. You know the rules you got to fix it until it's broke.

JG358, jubei, rlx02 and 3 others like this.
  7. Nov 19, 2020 at 4:26 PM
    Epic3rdgen

Member:
    First Name:
    A-A-ron
    Vehicle:
    2016 ACab OR
    And that’s words to by..Im definitely outside the box. ok I got one side fixed. Full stuf no problems.. Didn’t want to cut my frame so I just flipped the script... went to inside the frame.. much easer than notching the frame... the driver tire is 1” off the ground 36” to the bottom of the stuffed tire. Tomorrow I’ll cut off the other tower and flip it around... yaaaaa me .... 40670D7F-53DC-4D50-98F1-5956CFF996D6.jpg 2D94F794-D277-411C-98E9-FDD146D100CC.jpg

8. Nov 19, 2020 at 4:43 PM
    In4aride

Member:
    Best-Slope, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Pile of go slow parts.
    How much shaft do you still have in that pic? Doesn't look like it is full compression quite yet
    Do you have a picture of the shock angle from the back? Or how the joint looks on the lower control arm mount at the coilover? Just based on previous pictures I'm curious if you're going to run into any bind issues with the lower coilover mount.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2020
    ovrlndkull likes this.
  9. Nov 19, 2020 at 6:41 PM
    In4aride

Member:
    Best-Slope, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Pile of go slow parts.
    Never mind on the bind thing, did not see earlier that you had moved the shock onto the axle. the would eliminate my concern. I will say, your valving may be a little off with the changes but it should be decently close.

JTFisherman likes this.
  10. Nov 19, 2020 at 6:50 PM
    Aaronparker001

Aaronparker001 Just another basic dude in a tacoma

Member:
    Pacific Northwest
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDOR DCSB MT BLACK
    This has got to be one of my favorite threads. I have nothing to contribute but my compliments to you true crawlers. Keep it coming.

11. Nov 19, 2020 at 7:05 PM
    Epic3rdgen

Member:
    First Name:
    A-A-ron
    Vehicle:
    2016 ACab OR
    When I told Accutune off-road to build me the shocks. I did tell them I was at 90° 1tp1 on the axle. Then when I mounted the shock , I mounted it 4 inches up the control arm. We all see that didn’t work. Now the shock at 75° to the axle. The other shock was up against the frame couldn’t go up any higher.. that stuff is 1 1/2 shock shaft showing with plenty of room for more and my center diff hiem had lots more misalignment to go to.. tomorrow when I finish the other side I’ll get the forklift and go full stuff. Measure where my bump stops go and measure for purchase of limit straps..I think I’ll dump the Teflon Control mounts on the frame. I can see a little bind there. I think Hiems at both ends lower control arms will be better.? What you guys think?

Dirk Diggler likes this.
  12. Nov 19, 2020 at 7:09 PM
    Dirk Diggler

Dirk Diggler Under the Stun Gun

Member:
    Columbus, GA
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM OR DCSB
    I came for the carnage, but stay for the recklessness

rlx02 and Epic3rdgen like this.
  13. Nov 19, 2020 at 8:32 PM
    In4aride

Member:
    Best-Slope, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Pile of go slow parts.
    We are the black sheep crowd. Like a train wreck. A drunken, heavy throttled, haggard train wreck. But fun to watch :rofl::rofl::rasta::rasta:

Generally trailing arm you want axle end to twist and frame side to stay straight so it doesn't do any odd loading to lower shock mounts. As you are not trailing arm setup anymore,I think dual hard joints is fine. The input to the frame side mount will be more harsh, so be sure it's beefed up and doesn't crack from additional stresses and vibrations.
    Have you checked pinion with articulated and full droop/bump tests? At first I was worried about pinion dive at full droop, but your setup is so little droop I don't think it'll be issue. So more so about pinion rise at full bump. Strap a cam or have someone film as you take the truck full bump to full droop (whole axle, non articulated) without your springs in. Best way to watch the pinion through travel.

Realistically with you centered more on axle side mounts you'll have ability for tires to "chatter" more unless the shocks are set up right. The angle change isnt sever enough to be a sole reason to change the shock setup. But location change and angle might be enough to reconsider. But only time will tell with that.

14. Nov 20, 2020 at 11:28 AM
    Tacoma1192

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB Sport
    Notch the frame and get the geometry correct. With the coil overs mounted that far inboard will result in unstable driving characteristics. Combined that with the wishbone 3 link geometry, the truck is going to want to flip on its side when you drive it around any corner or crawling anything off-camber. It is more work but 100% worth the time to set up the geometry correctly the first time. There are some compromises you'll still have to make for packaging, but mounting the coil over in the middle of the axle tube will not work out well and it will handle worse than it did with leaf springs.

You also lost your trailing arm advantage. I'd do all that I could to keep that mechanical advantage.

literallynothing likes this.
  15. Nov 20, 2020 at 11:52 AM
    In4aride

Member:
    Best-Slope, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Pile of go slow parts.
    Like we talked about in Moab, I'd find a way to make trailing arms work if I did it all over again. The shortbed sucks for that, but man it'd be nice. I'm sure the engineering guys that designed all that will make sure he's set up safely and correctly.

ovrlndkull likes this.
  16. Nov 20, 2020 at 12:03 PM
    Tacoma1192

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB Sport
    Yeah, I'm in the middle of doing it on my brother's truck. I'm so close to saying fuck it and notching the cab out behind the seat but still working on getting it to fit.

There's no way possible to stable out the truck with the shocks that far inboard on the axle tube - I don't care what the engineering guys say. It's simple physics, a load that is supported by a narrower base is unstable. Maybe a wide stiff sway bar and stiff coil springs will help but that defeats all the advantages of a linked rear suspension.

In4aride [OP] and ovrlndkull like this.
  17. Nov 20, 2020 at 12:15 PM
    ovrlndkull

ovrlndkull STUKASFK - HC4LIFE

Member:
    First Name:
    Skip
    Burlington, NC
    Vehicle:
    2005 DCLB Silver
    63s, XD Machete, Beat not Babied
    Is it because the cab gets in the way?

18. Nov 20, 2020 at 12:49 PM
    In4aride

Member:
    Best-Slope, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Pile of go slow parts.
    I was partially being a smart ass. Been on road last few days solo so feeling a little feisty. I agree, it's going to let the wheels move a lot before the shocks have any control over them. Be Interesting to see how it pans out. Definitely don't need a 16 in that far. I say that location is no better or even worse than initial location. But :notsure:

Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
    literallynothing likes this.
  19. Nov 20, 2020 at 12:51 PM
    In4aride

Member:
    Best-Slope, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Pile of go slow parts.
    Yeah just not a lot of room between axle and cab to get a quality trailing arm setup in. Maybe an in or two in front of the axle, but that would hardly justify the work. The extra foot of space on the aclb and dclb right at the front is perfect for setting up a trailing arm setup.

ovrlndkull likes this.
  20. Nov 20, 2020 at 10:03 PM
    Epic3rdgen

Member:
    First Name:
    A-A-ron
    Vehicle:
    2016 ACab OR
    O wow ! Yep you guys are right. The truck will tend to waddle. The closer the shocks are moved it. The gas tank is in the way to notch the tank at the Control arms.. I need like a 10 or 12 inch shock on the control arm before the tire so at full stuff I won’t be hitting it... hum maybe .. just finished this design and ya ... going to have to find a way to mount the shocks way closer to the wheel. On the arms...I’m in this far... mid as well shoot for the stars... here is another example of what not to do. All right boys and girls let’s see what he turns out next week... And to think I’m being guided by seasoned off road professional fabrication guys.. I feel like the coyote right now.. I’ll catch that road runner... C4DE89A1-7222-41A7-B303-A5ACE4C0EBC0.jpg

CocaineAndCreatine likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top