1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

3rd Generation Tacomas will eventually smell like old socks

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by denver osborne, Nov 21, 2020.

1. Nov 22, 2020 at 8:27 AM
    Taco_Coma

Taco_Coma That's a lovely accent you have. New Jersey?

Member:
    South NJ
    Vehicle:
    2018 DCSB SR5
    you can try to Ozone it

2. Nov 22, 2020 at 8:33 AM
    Kev250R

Kev250R Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Orange, So.Cal.
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 6MT
    Floor mats, junk in center console
    I had this happen to me last summer in the mountains. Big temp difference between the inside of the truck and the outside and it stunk for the first couple of minutes after I started driving. I thought a Mouse had died in the HVAC or something, but then it went away. I never looked into it too far. I'll be curious to see what you find!

3. Nov 22, 2020 at 8:34 AM
    TacomaUSA

TacomaUSA Cross Country Tacoma

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4 Access Cab- 6 speed
    Seems like TW gave you a good list of places to look. It does sound/smell like water is getting inside somewhere. I'll add one thing which probably won't help your scenario, not sure if it has been said yet...

Run your heat on max, fan on high, A/C on, all vents, all defrosters, for 15 minutes or more. This will dry out your system and get rid of most smells in the system. This can be done on any vehicle.

Goodluck!

Kev250R likes this.
  4. Nov 22, 2020 at 9:44 AM
    Junkhead

Junkhead TRDude

Member:
    First Name:
    Serge
    Prince George, BC
    Vehicle:
    Black 4x4 Sport MT 2018
    Some Serious Tires
    Husky floor mats will prevent any water getting on the carpet. I have them and they are great. Can even get in with muddy shoes, no problem.

BillsSR5 likes this.
  5. Nov 22, 2020 at 10:18 AM
    Ice8

Ice8 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver, BC
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM Tacoma TRD Off Road SB
    A few listed in the signature
    I had the same problem about a year into owning the truck. I fixed it in an overkill fashion.

Here is what I did:

- Toyota tub style floor mats to keep the carpet dry
    - Changed my cabin air filter, which I do every 3-6 months due to my allergies
    - Ensured my brake light at the back was sealed ($1 worth of RTV silicone)
    - Used AC Evaporator cleaner (Frost King from Lowes worked great)
    - Never run recirculation on the HVAC system

The used product coming out of the evaporator was not pretty. I'd recommend everyone do it truthfully. I also did the evaporator drain hose mod as well, so it angles the drain downwards and it also exits in the wheel well instead of dripping onto the frame.

6. Nov 22, 2020 at 10:20 AM
    Sandy94

Sandy94 Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Commonwealth
    Vehicle:
    Toyota Tacoma
    This stuff doesn't cover up, it eliminates. Take it from a cigar smoker. You're welcome

61wcus6dlyL._AC_SX425_.jpg

7. Nov 22, 2020 at 1:32 PM
    bshammer0

bshammer0 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Nashville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB TRD OR 4x4
    Prinsu, TruckCovers USA, Coverking, OVTuned
    This - I didn’t use recirc all summer in the humid southeast this summer and my truck did not smell like old socks as it has before

BillsSR5[QUOTED] likes this.
  8. Nov 22, 2020 at 2:42 PM
    j-utah

j-utah Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    Can the AC drain hose can come loose in the cabin? :notsure:

9. Nov 22, 2020 at 2:54 PM
    eurowner

eurowner Duke Sky

Member:
    First Name:
    Scoty
    The Syncro Ranch, Salida ColoRADo
    Vehicle:
    '17 TRDOR DCLB FTMFWBBQ Silver Sky Met
    Bilstein 8112+650lb coils, 8100+Deaver Stage II leaf pack, SPC UCA, DuroBumps, Mobtown 0* sliders W/fill plates, Mobtown Recovery Bar, Radium PVC & CCV Dual Oil Separator Catch Can System, Snugtop Hiliner Sport, ATH bed Stiffeners (cuz bottle openers!) and front corner tie down, Badger plates for Firestone airbag + Relentless U-bolt flip + Daystar cradles, TRD Pro shift knob, TRD Exhaust, HPS Silicone intake tube, Green Filter, TRD Intake Air Accelerator, 265-70-17 Toyo Open Country ATIII on TRD 17"Rockwarrior Cold Forged wheels, TRD alloy front skid, RCI Aluminum transmission & transfer case skids. Much Meso awesomeness, FreshMexicanTaco TacoGarage Camera Controller + DDM, WarFab Sheridan hitch skid, Rago LCA steel skids + lower rear shock guards, ScanGauge II, FN Koning Countersteer 16" spare, OEM T4R 90105-14104 coilover lower mounting eye bolts
  10. Nov 22, 2020 at 2:54 PM
    photogr4x4

photogr4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    TRD OR
    Nada
    I don't have an old sock smell but I sure have the smell of two drooly dogs.

j-utah likes this.
  11. Nov 22, 2020 at 4:18 PM
    Bcjammerx

Bcjammerx I'm not ALWAYS an a-hole, I swear

Member:
    North East Texas
    Vehicle:
    ‘17 TRD Off-road 4X4
    wipe your ass better?

lol ok so all the recommendations are good and I have nothing to add, but the ac drain, you wouldn't believe how easily those things clog...specially if you have dirt dobbers around

12. Nov 22, 2020 at 8:17 PM
    jimmerheck

jimmerheck Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma Limited in white
    I'm betting on the third brake light leak. Seems to be fairly common on the early models. Easy to check for, just look for water running down somewhere under the rear window.

13. Dec 5, 2020 at 8:30 PM
    denver osborne

denver osborne [OP] Octoyota

Member:
    First Name:
    Deej
    California coast
    Vehicle:
    toyotatruckonly
    Well strange as it appears it seems my leak has been an actual different source that reported here. Although the suggestions here were fantastic and may very well be the case of water intrusion in the future... this time the water appears to have came from the sunroof. The seal here is between a rubber ring around the window and the actual external body of the vehicle. it appears there was 'crud' that is some dirt, dust, pollen, a bit of lichen, grime, etc... this was apparently keeping the seal of the window from entirely keeping water out and it would drip slowly thru the 'seal' and into the forward part of the upper roof and onto the windshield. This was quite hard to find. After cleaning it all out very well it appears to have stopped. however, it is actually impossible to clean the aft surface of this without taking out the moon roof glass which i didnt do. When i got the truck i told the sales man i had no use for a sunroof as they would all leak at some point. He ASSURED me these would not leak, that they have been making sun/moon roofs for decades now and they dont leak anymore. Wrong. Unfortunately at the time it was the only way to get the features i wanted was to also get the sun roof. I also did a better job of sealing the 3rd brake light. used 3M marine 5200 sealant. IT will never leak. Was a bit surprised folks on here recommended silicon which is a joke to seal, but it is easilly removeable later if need. But i dont see the point in using silicon. The reason it is easy to remove later is because it really doesnt stay sealed that long.

14. Dec 7, 2020 at 11:46 AM
    Samurai Tech

Samurai Tech Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma SR5 Dbl Cab 4X2
    The seal around the glass panel that contacts the body does not seal water from entering the interior completely. The moonroof frame has water channels integrated with 4 drain tubes/hoses at each corner. Dirt and debris can accumulate in these tubes/hoses. When enough water enters and can't drain its spills over on to the headliner usually. The front 2 tubes in each corner are usually easily accessible to inspect/clean.

15. Dec 14, 2020 at 6:47 AM
    denver osborne

denver osborne [OP] Octoyota

Member:
    First Name:
    Deej
    California coast
    Vehicle:
    toyotatruckonly
    wow, thanks for that heads up, i will check these a bit later today and let you know. it sure does seem to have dissipated lately from the cleaning i mentioned. We just had lots of rain last night and i was doing a test to see what happened and the next couple days will be the answer if i found the leak or not. So far so good. will definitely take your tip and have a look. thanks so much,

16. Dec 14, 2020 at 7:00 AM
    zoo truck

zoo truck Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 quicksand sr5 tacoma
    None
    Back in the day we use to play a prank by putting a large hunk of blue cheese on an exhaust manifold in a truck. The smell it made would make old socks smell like new. It made a few owners puke.

17. Dec 14, 2020 at 7:03 AM
    CrazyAirborne

CrazyAirborne Who jumps out of perfectly good airplanes?

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Central Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Sport
    Glad you see to be on the right track to having a truck that doesnt smell as bad!

18. Dec 14, 2020 at 8:32 AM
    kgilly

kgilly Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kurt
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCSB SR5 4x4
    Bed cover and Mud flaps, OEM Audio, Super Bump stops, Sumo Springs, Bed Stiffeners, Stryker hood shocks
    i have a slight smell also in colder weather but just attribute it to not using the heat for awhile, its happened in other vehicles i have owned, not too worried about it but i do remember a time back in the day when a friend of mine threw up all over his dashboard when he was very drunk and it smelled like puke in his car for months....lol

19. Jul 18, 2023 at 11:56 AM
    spatterson82

spatterson82 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Vehicle:
    2020 White TRD OR
    I have a 2020 TRD OR that also has this old sock smell. No sunroof on mine. I will check out the 3rd brake light posts and try to figure out if there are any clogs under the wiper cowl thing. I did notice a couple months ago that water dripped onto my passenger floor mat after going through a car wash. Seems like annoying stuff to find the time to remedy.

20. Jul 20, 2023 at 8:16 AM
    Uscgamecock7

Uscgamecock7 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    West Columbia, SC
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma Trd Sport DCLB 4x4(SOLD) 2017 Tacoma Trd OR 4x4(SOLD) 2024 T4R TRD PRO
    Take out glove box and cabin air filter spray lysol into the fan for the ac system. Mildew smell gone

Products Discussed in

To Top