1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

3RZ No Spark

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by Blueback00, Nov 11, 2012.

1. Dec 29, 2016 at 7:08 PM
    Tappit

Tappit Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Toyota hilux 2004
    Issue fixed. A resister had failed in the ECU. I replaced it and away she went.

tacopashka likes this.
  2. Dec 29, 2016 at 7:11 PM
    2.7taco

2.7taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tan Tacoma Base 5 LUG: Beaten , abused and still running strong.
    Fat Bobs 2.75 lift and level with short AAL, 16x8 Level 8 Guardian Wheels, 245/75R16 Toyo Open Country ATII, custom trans shift kit(home made), Trans temp. and Vac gauge, URD fuel pump upgrade(going back to stock soon).
    Good to hear. :thumbsup:

3. Jun 24, 2017 at 10:47 PM
    tacopashka

tacopashka Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2000 tacoma
    Hey @Tappit
    Do you have info about which resistor that was!? Having this issue as well. Maybe I'll look there after I check my cam and crank sensors. Maybe save myself a little time rather than digging in places I shouldn't be! I'm only 7 months behind you! Lol

4. Jun 24, 2017 at 11:53 PM
    Tappit

Tappit Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Toyota hilux 2004
    Hello, it was awhile back mate.
    when i took the ecu apart i just used my multi meter to check that current was passing though each one.
    Took me about an 30 min to test each one.
    sorry i can be more help.
    IF YOU replace your ecu, MAKE SURE the number on it match exactly. Some muppets out there think it doesn't but
    you will have much pain if you don't get the right one. I am aware of one bloke that totaled his motor by not checking.
    Best of luck bud.

5. Jun 25, 2017 at 6:56 AM
    tacopashka

tacopashka Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2000 tacoma
    Oh okay! I appreciate it! Thanks for all the good info on this thread too!

6. Feb 15, 2021 at 5:07 PM
    Gabronius

Gabronius Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gabriel
    Vehicle:
    1985 SR5 Reg Cab
    1996 Tacoma 3RZFE, Halogens, 4” lift
    Resurrecting this thread in hopes of fixing the same issue. I finished putting a '96 3RZ into my 1985 pickup and I've got good fuel, good air, good crank but no start. I pulled a spark plug wire, tested it with a good plug, no spark. It's got a new distributor, new ICM, new plugs and new wires. I just ordered a new crankshaft sensor (even though it passes ohm test per FSM) and a new camshaft sensor. Once I swap those parts out, I will be without a clue as to what it could be. I've got the correct ECU to match the distributor type engine, manual tranny and 4x4. All fuses are good. Everything is grounded properly.

I'm guessing that once I swap these parts out, if there is still no spark, I'm going to have to test the ECU. I have no clue on how to do that but I'm sure that either the FSM or a Haynes will cover it. Other things to note: There are 2 plugs not connected right now: the VPS for the EGR (the EGR has been removed/capped) and the EGR plug itself, which has a resistor installed to keep it from throwing a code. OBDII shows no codes, but I don't trust that because it hasn't ran yet.

Any other suggestions for me to try/think about? There is voltage to the distributor. I verified TDC prior to install. Just no spark coming out, which leads me to believe its either the cam or crank position sensor. Dear Lord I hope it's one of them because I really don't want to have to pay someone to help me get it running when I did the whole darned engine swap by myself....

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Gabe

7. Mar 4, 2021 at 6:24 PM
    derektaco

derektaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1995 tac
    I got the same issue. just rebuilt my 4 cyl 3rz. turned it over... it started! then it stalled out. replaced the broken mass air sensor... then tried to start again... nothing. a couple hiccups during starting, but no real startup.. ugh. I know the feeling of doing all that work and then it not work... but there always seems to be something. I checked timing with timing gun, everything checked out. heard the crank sensor will prevent sparking if bad... so if my timing gun showed spark, I'm guessing my distributor and crank sensor is ok. I have fuel pressure...tomorrow I'm gonna check spark on all cylinders and then I keep guessing....

8. Mar 5, 2021 at 10:37 AM
    Gabronius

Member:
    First Name:
    Gabriel
    Vehicle:
    1985 SR5 Reg Cab
    Yeah, I replaced the crank sensor - still nothing. I have good power and grounds everywhere necessary including the ECU. So the only thing left that I can think of that would prevent the distributor from firing spark to the plugs is no signal to the distributor...so the ECU. I've got a new one coming. Hopefully that fixes it. Good luck with your 3RZ.

derektaco likes this.
  9. Apr 19, 2021 at 2:15 PM
    Gabronius

Member:
    First Name:
    Gabriel
    Vehicle:
    1985 SR5 Reg Cab
    Update: New ECU, still no spark. I'm completely stumped.

10. May 24, 2022 at 6:01 PM
    Wecheshic

Wecheshic New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe Don
    Vehicle:
    1999 Tacoma 2.7 distributorless
    Complete Professional Engine Rebuild

11. May 24, 2022 at 6:24 PM
    Wecheshic

Wecheshic New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe Don
    Vehicle:
    1999 Tacoma 2.7 distributorless
    Complete Professional Engine Rebuild
    Did you ever figure out the no fire condition ?? I have a good friend of mine who brought me his '99 Tacoma 2.7 Automatic 2wd it has 594+ miles on it. His grandson was driving the truck when the diverter valve ruptured loosing all coolant burning up the engine. I pulled the engine sent to a reputable engine machine shop I know well. They replaced everything in the engine turned the crank bored honed the cylinders. Assembled the long block and sent it back to me I installed the engine back into the Tacoma, everything on this engine was replaced with quality replacement or OEM parts. Only thing not replaced were the fuel injectors. It's cranks but will not run. Checked for battery voltage (12.9v) at coil connections, brand new 199 dollar battery, plenty of battery voltage. Double checked Crankshaft position sensor and Camshaft position sensor they are quality brand new senors ohm'd out with specs. Grounds have been checked, I'm thinking signal to trigger on the coil connections from ECM non existent. Long day today so in the morning I'll be searching for that trigger signal. Don't know what else it could be. Distributorless ignition with 2 coils on this 2.7.... any ideas ??

12. Dec 23, 2023 at 9:07 PM
    FoRunna

FoRunna New Member

Member:
    Did you ever figure out anything? Dealing with the same problem here

Products Discussed in

To Top