1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

3RZ Oil Leak

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by nzbrock, Nov 6, 2019.

1. Nov 11, 2019 at 10:37 AM
    nzbrock

nzbrock [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Noah
    San Marcos, TX
    Vehicle:
    99 TRD Prerunner 3RZ
    SAW 2.0 Coilovers Wheeler's 5 Leaf + 3 AAL Bilstein 5100s LCE long tube header Flowmaster Delta 50 Muffler FJ Trail Team Wheels 255/85/16 Cooper ST Maxx 4Runner overhead sunglass console 4Runner leather seats All LED lights Red/Clear Tail Light Tundra Brakes HID Projector Retrofits 4Runner Auto Up/Down Windows Bullet Liner Cargo tie down system E-locker axle swap w/4.56 Gears ARE MX Cap Prinsu Toprac Custom heated turn signal/puddle light mirrors Volant Intake Tube
    Just posting this here for others in the future.

The oil seal that is behind the coil pack mounting bracket is part number: 90339-36001
    I ordered one from Amazon here: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KTKX1DE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 where they call it an "engine expansion plug"
    This plug blocks off the hole where a distributor gear would pass through to the cam shaft. I'm not sure why toyota left this hole.
    I cannot find a definitive name for this seal/plug either. Toyodiy lists it as "standard part" and I cannot find it in any FSM.

Here's a diagram that shows it from a Japanese website.
    751170_1104_0004.jpg

EDIT: found a post here with the same leak
    https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/oil-leak-help.467666/

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
    cruiserguy likes this.
  2. Nov 13, 2019 at 9:38 AM
    jruiz555

jruiz555 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ok I'm back, my bad should have read the policy. So were you able to figure out the leak

cruiserguy likes this.
  3. Nov 13, 2019 at 10:19 AM
    nzbrock

Member:
    First Name:
    Noah
    San Marcos, TX
    Vehicle:
    99 TRD Prerunner 3RZ
    SAW 2.0 Coilovers Wheeler's 5 Leaf + 3 AAL Bilstein 5100s LCE long tube header Flowmaster Delta 50 Muffler FJ Trail Team Wheels 255/85/16 Cooper ST Maxx 4Runner overhead sunglass console 4Runner leather seats All LED lights Red/Clear Tail Light Tundra Brakes HID Projector Retrofits 4Runner Auto Up/Down Windows Bullet Liner Cargo tie down system E-locker axle swap w/4.56 Gears ARE MX Cap Prinsu Toprac Custom heated turn signal/puddle light mirrors Volant Intake Tube
    Yes, I confirmed my original leak is in fact the rear main seal. I got a cheap inspection camera and was able to see oil on it.

I discovered another leak if you look at posts #12 and #21. I'm still waiting on parts for that.

I did receive the bars rear main seal leak stop stuff, but I think I need to drain a little oil in order to put the full bottle in. Fortunately I have a fumoto drain valve so that should be pretty easy.

4. Nov 13, 2019 at 10:25 AM
    jruiz555

jruiz555 Well-Known Member

Member:
    if you can, stay away from the additives, and see if you can take on the repair direct and replace the part.

5. Nov 13, 2019 at 11:08 AM
    cruiserguy

cruiserguy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Elijah
    SLC
    Vehicle:
    2000 ext cab, 2.7L, auto, 4x4
    I think he's going that route just temporarily on the seal sweller stuff. Until he can get to pulling the tranny and getting the seal replaced.

6. Nov 13, 2019 at 11:26 AM
    nzbrock

Member:
    First Name:
    Noah
    San Marcos, TX
    Vehicle:
    99 TRD Prerunner 3RZ
    Correct, and I'm not going to pull the tranny just to replace that seal, unless it starts leaking a lot.
    At some point I want to swap to 4WD, so that is when I will most likely replace the seal.

cruiserguy[QUOTED] likes this.
  7. Nov 16, 2019 at 5:32 PM
    nzbrock

Member:
    First Name:
    Noah
    San Marcos, TX
    Vehicle:
    99 TRD Prerunner 3RZ
    I posted this in the what have you done today thread, but I thought I would update it here as well.
    I drilled a hole in the center and it pulled right out with a pick that I had. I was prepared to tap the hole and try to pull it out that way, but it just came out so easy. I put some FIPG in the hole prior to tapping the new plug in, which was a much tighter fit than the original. I did it this way because I didn’t want to pull the valve cover since it wasn’t leaking and I didn’t want it to start!

cruiserguy likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top