1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

3rz rebuild question

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Unruhly27, Feb 17, 2017.

1. Feb 17, 2017 at 7:14 PM
    Unruhly27

Unruhly27 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Billings MT
    Vehicle:
    97 2.7 5 speed.
    I have a 2.7 3RZ 325k (I put 250k)I'm rebuilding the engine and front end and wrapping it in digi cam and it's going to be my hunting truck.
    Question is what can I do to add the most power for money rebuilding a 2.7?

2. Feb 17, 2017 at 7:45 PM
    bry838

bry838 Well-Known Member

Member:
    oregon
    Vehicle:
    '00 tacoma 2.7 4x4 reg cab 5speed x's 2. '01 T4R 3.4 5 speed
    Beyond some method of forced induction there really isnt much that can be done for real gains. Toyota did a pretty good job of getting most of the power out of these engines from the get go. Most things on the market you might come across are totally gimmicks! Like a throttle body spacer for example! Or a cold air intake, which is really a gimmick considering the stock intake is truly a CAI and any aftermarket is actually a "hot air intake" no exaggeration there either. Stock is best! A guy can get higher flow injectors but without forced induction thats pretty much pointless...there really just isn't much you can do and the couple things out there that aren't a complete gimmick dont add enough gains that would ever be felt or noticed besides maybe noticing your mpg have dropped slightly...

If you are lifted and running bigger tires or will do so after your rebuild and turning it into your hunting rig the best thing to do to keep some pep in its step is to regear! That in itself(besides forced induction) will have the single most biggest impact on a noticeable change in how the truck pulls, lol or just keep tiny tires on it. LCE makes some engine goodies for our motors but again they offer such minimal gains its really not worth it, again unless forced induction is involved then they might be useful but heck if you are forced induction you really wouldnt need anything else anyhow other than what would be needed to support being boosted...

Gosh, so, long story short the answer is no pretty much, haha...

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
    mechanicjon likes this.
  3. Feb 25, 2017 at 10:29 PM
    Siebler

Siebler Duck Killing Machine

Member:
    First Name:
    CJ
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    99 Long Travel 5 lug, 01 Tundra 4wd
    TC LT Front, F67 on 12" shackle, LCE Underdrive Pulley, Flex-a-lite fan, DT headers, Super 44 muffler, 4:11's and Aussie Locker, 22 Gallon Fuel Cell, Beard seats, sliders, bed cage
    Best power gain ive gotten with everything ive done to my 2rz was URD Underdrive pulley and E-fans.

4. Feb 26, 2017 at 6:24 AM
    2stroketrush

2stroketrush Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler Addison Rush
    Baltimore
    Vehicle:
    Built 97 ExtraCab
    Overland Purpose Built 97 going on 190K.
    LCE header was my best gain on 3rz

Products Discussed in

To Top