1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

3rz TRD supercharger on 2trfe

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by TireFire, Oct 30, 2017.

1. Nov 3, 2017 at 2:52 PM
    TacoTacoma97

TacoTacoma97 Eagle Scout

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Waco TX
    Vehicle:
    I think it's a Tacoma, let me go check again...
    *Cracks knuckles* Where do I begin?

What parts out of the kit do you need? I'm a smooth talker, I can get through this guy.

2. Nov 3, 2017 at 3:35 PM
    TireFire

TireFire [OP] Superunknown Member

Member:
    Olympic Peninsula
    Loaded question lol, ideally, to start the plenum from the charge side with the 4port head flange so I can work out fitment without blowing $3,500 for the whole kit.

TacoTacoma97[QUOTED] likes this.
  3. Nov 3, 2017 at 5:19 PM
    MrCrowntown

MrCrowntown Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alyn
    Ky
    Vehicle:
    06 Extended cab Prerunner 2.7
    Dirt King Mid travel with King 2.5 coilovers, Baja Kits chase SUA with 14in fox smoothies under custom hangars.
    A lot of people are confused with how LCE deals with the public. Those guys on 'tech support' are solely for their products on the shelves. Not with custom builds, or piece-togethers. If you want to inquire about custom stuff, thats where their manager comes into play.

4. Nov 4, 2017 at 9:08 AM
    TireFire

Member:
    Olympic Peninsula
    Yeah, all the guy was doing was send me links to their bolt on parts. It's chill, he probably just had a bad day. I get those...
    Who do I talk to at LCE? Hypothetically, if I already had their kit on a 95 3rz which got wrecked and I get into a 2004 and want to keep my charger. So now I just need the different 4 port plenum... Are they gonna tell me I'm SOL and have to buy a whole extra kit?? Would hope not.

5. Nov 4, 2017 at 10:16 AM
    MrCrowntown

Member:
    First Name:
    Alyn
    Ky
    Vehicle:
    Dirt King Mid travel with King 2.5 coilovers, Baja Kits chase SUA with 14in fox smoothies under custom hangars.
    I'm gonna let you know now, that yes, you will be SOL looking for an updated, differently designed plenum. They utilize a foundry to makes each supercharger, so to get a new mold designed and pour your part would take so much time and money invested that they wouldn't be interested in the risks for.

Now, don't lose hope in me, because I am 75% sure that I can get a flange sent to me from my friend which is all you need.

Feel free to ask me any custom questions when it comes to this motor. I'll do my best to asnwer you, because at this point, I know more than they do about the motor.

BassAckwards, bijick and TireFire[OP] like this.
  6. Nov 6, 2017 at 11:33 AM
    TireFire

Member:
    Olympic Peninsula
    1) I think you misunderstood slightly. I meant going from the older 95-99 8 port plenum/runners to the newer 00-04 4port runners/plenum. They already make that part and it bolts onto the Eaton M62 so there wouldn't be any new development. I was just curious if I could somehow buy just that part...
    2) I would still have to cut off the head flange and weld on the new one for the 2trfe. And you really got my hopes up to get me one. I'm ready to buy it, just let me know. It would be huge because I'm confident I can weld that onto the plenum but don't have the means to fab up the flange myself.
    3) you mentioned the 2tr has a thicker timing cover than 3rz. Are you sure? If the block is the same how could the crankshaft pulley still line up with the other accessory pulleys?
    4) I noticed that the 2tr has power steering hoses (feed&return) that would interfere with the 3rz supercharger pulley BUT I think I would solve that problem by making a hybrid power steering pump. Both motors' pumps are very similar. Take the reservoir from the return line fitting from the 3rz and the feed/pressure line as well and swap them over to the 2tr pump and boom, pulley interference problem solved. The pressure lines can just be closed into a loop on the feed line or plugged or capped off because the 2tr pump gets an electronic signal instead of intake manifold pressure

MrCrowntown[QUOTED] likes this.
  7. Nov 6, 2017 at 12:07 PM
    MrCrowntown

Member:
    First Name:
    Alyn
    Ky
    Vehicle:
    The primary reason I think the timing cover is thicker, is because of the VVTI cam gear.

The 2tr block is identical when talking about journal spacing, oil filter placement, bore spacing, oil galley placement, closed deck arrangement, but there is additional mounting points for the timing cover because it is significantly different than the 3rz dimensionally. I don't have a 3rz timing cover here to reference either, so I could be terribly wrong and it could be the same. Also the accessory mounts could be different but again, I don't have a 3rz to cross reference.

8. Nov 6, 2017 at 12:30 PM
    TireFire

Member:
    Olympic Peninsula
    Okay thanks for chiming in. I think either way it's not a show stopper. Can't be much more than an inch or so off so I should still be able to space out and align the nose drive pulley if need be... seen this done with a custom aluminum spacer on an Audi

9. Nov 8, 2017 at 12:35 PM
    bijick

bijick such mods much want

Member:
    First Name:
    E
    Stl
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM Singular Cabular Selectable
    OME 884’s ,Dakar hd’s, Jba uca, lce header, 4.88’s, Arb locker , j shift tcase-T4R, arb bumper, leer topper, 3500w inverter, mad wife, scratched paint, skid plates, snorkelerer, led flush mount reverse lights, etc..
    Best thread on this site atm.

10. Nov 8, 2017 at 3:24 PM
    TireFire

Member:
    Olympic Peninsula
    why thank you. It's all in its infancy still, I want to work this out in theory before diving in and buying the expensive parts because I want to stay well below the price of URDs kit. So far so good. I'm also in California where a turbo wouldn't be legal and neither is the URD kit, this supercharger might pass because it doesn't alter the exhaust system at all, they might not even notice it... And I already have a beautiful LCE long tube header I want to keep because it works great.
    2trfe in Tacoma just screams for boost! Same cooling capacity as the much larger 4.0 and even greater oil capacity!!

BassAckwards and Kuntrykid like this.
  11. Mar 22, 2018 at 5:12 AM
    Silver_Back

Silver_Back Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Washougal, WA
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma Pre-Runner
    Rancho 3" suspension lift Eaton Truetrac Torsen Locker URD short shifter Dual Optima Yellow Top Battery Setup with Separate Electrical Systems Spyder Industries Front Bumper Fabfour Rear Bumper Onboard Air Compressor System 1800 Watt Power Inverter Smittybilt Competition 10k LBS Winch Bushwhacker Pop It Fender Flares Striker 10-Band Radio Homelink Mirror Viper Alarm Frame Mounted LED Bars EBay Headlights & Taillights Better Built Truck Box Fire Stone Ride Rite Air Bags Eaton elocker in front Dual case tacobox Etc...
    Any updates on this?
    :popcorn:

12. Mar 22, 2018 at 10:53 AM
    bijick

Member:
    First Name:
    E
    Stl
    Vehicle:
    OME 884’s ,Dakar hd’s, Jba uca, lce header, 4.88’s, Arb locker , j shift tcase-T4R, arb bumper, leer topper, 3500w inverter, mad wife, scratched paint, skid plates, snorkelerer, led flush mount reverse lights, etc..
    Op is banned and @MrCrowntown is building his up for a monster turbo, I think this idea has gone by the wayside. Even though I’d like positive displacement boost best

iamroddy likes this.
  13. Mar 22, 2018 at 5:16 PM
    MrCrowntown

Member:
    First Name:
    Alyn
    Ky
    Vehicle:
    Big things coming.. everyone needs to stop buying so many LCE parts so they have time to finish my kit :laugh:

SamGoingHam and dirtdigginjoe like this.
  14. Mar 23, 2018 at 3:07 PM
    Wheelspinner

Wheelspinner Coco Customs

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    '13 4x4x4cyl
    :popcorn:

15. Mar 23, 2018 at 8:28 PM
    Silver_Back

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Washougal, WA
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma Pre-Runner
    Rancho 3" suspension lift Eaton Truetrac Torsen Locker URD short shifter Dual Optima Yellow Top Battery Setup with Separate Electrical Systems Spyder Industries Front Bumper Fabfour Rear Bumper Onboard Air Compressor System 1800 Watt Power Inverter Smittybilt Competition 10k LBS Winch Bushwhacker Pop It Fender Flares Striker 10-Band Radio Homelink Mirror Viper Alarm Frame Mounted LED Bars EBay Headlights & Taillights Better Built Truck Box Fire Stone Ride Rite Air Bags Eaton elocker in front Dual case tacobox Etc...
    Op's idea to adapt the LCE's supercharger (SC) kit (https://www.lceperformance.com/2RZ-2-4L-3RZ-2-7L-High-Boost-Supercharger-Kit-2000-p/7015200.htm) for the 3RZ to the 2TR's head is fairly achievable. Ideally, it would provide a cheaper alternative to other SC solutions that are available on the market. Presently, I see two obstacles for mounting the SC described above:
    1) Adapting the 3RZ SC manifold flange to the 2TR's head
    2) Extend the SC drive pulley to align with the 2TR's belt system
    Obstacle 1: I met with my friend's dad who owns a machine shop and describe the objective. We believe we have a viable solution to take a piece of 1" thick aluminum flat bar and overlay the two different intake manifold gaskets for each head (aligning the intake runner ports) and machining an adapter plate. This does assume the two intake runner port for each head are symmetrical with the exception of the small lobe on the bottom of each port on the 3RZ head as shown above in the thread history. For the 2TR head's intake manifold gasket, I'll remove my intake manifold and create a template. Then order the 3RZ intake manifold gasket. The present plan is to counter-sink the 3RZ bolt's head (Allen head bolts most likely) into the adapter plate so that they are flush with the part of the adapter's surface that mates to the 2TR's head. This will require the adapter plate to be mounted to the 3RZ SC's manifold first then mounting the adapter and SC to the 2TR's head next.
    Obstacle 2: Once the 3RZ SC is bolted to the 2TR's head, we can measure the distance with a true bar (ideally straight flat bar) from the 2TR's belt system to the 3RZ SC's drive pulley. Ideally, there will be an existing pulley solution on the market. However, if not then the task would be to machine a pulley on a lathe. This would require machining the pulley's center top hat such that it bolts to the SC's drive shaft while aligning with the 2TR's belt system. For this task, I would need to have a 3RZ SC on hand which I don't.

Bare in mind, the above narrative does not describe every intricate detail and I am not the owner of this thread but I want to contribute constructively. I live in the Spokane WA area if anyone wants to aid in the development. I will keep track of the expenses associated and hopefully the net result is cheaper than the alternatives. Once complete, I have the resources to create CAD and PDF's drawings of the adapter plate and pulley to share. Hopefully, LCE or URD can use this information to create a readily available cheaper solution for other Tacoma owners.

Does anyone have constructive feedback for mounting the 3RZ SC to the 2TR's head or an SC I can borrow for development?

Regards,
    Nate

16. Mar 24, 2018 at 7:54 AM
    bijick

Member:
    First Name:
    E
    Stl
    Vehicle:
    ... somebody get this man a supercharger. I’ve lightly browsed for blown/broken ones to no avail.

WorldWar546 likes this.
  17. Mar 25, 2018 at 5:56 PM
    Silver_Back

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Washougal, WA
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma Pre-Runner
    Update: The aluminum flat bar material & 3RZ intake manifold gasket are ordered. (Costs thus far 41.99+8.99=50.98) The material should be here by next weekend, 3/30. That weekend, I'll remove my intake manifold and create the second template. The Monday thereafter, I'll take it to the machine shop. The prototype adapter should be complete by the end of that week. At that time, it would be nice to have an SC in hand for the pulley measurements.

Does anyone have an 3RZ SC I can borrow for development? I would only need it for about two weeks.

For obstacle 2, does anyone have time to research pulley offerings for the M62 with different offsets?

Regards,
    Nate

FourBanger99 likes this.
  18. Mar 25, 2018 at 8:24 PM
    MrCrowntown

Member:
    First Name:
    Alyn
    Ky
    Vehicle:
    You will have an easier time making a 2tr flange and welding it to the runners from the 3rz supercharger. The ports on the 2tr head are the same spacing, just a different shape. The bolt patterns may overlap in ways you cant work around with an adapter plate.

FourBanger99 likes this.
  19. Apr 6, 2018 at 8:35 PM
    Silver_Back

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Washougal, WA
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma Pre-Runner
    Thank you for the feedback MrCrowntown.

The intake runner ports are a slightly different shape. After removing my intake manifold, creating a template, and overlapping the 3RZ & 2TR temples, I see where they are different.

Although the intake runner ports are slightly different, I believe the adapter plate is still feasible. A way to account for the differences is to cut the smaller port and then angle route the larger side such that both sides of the adapter plate match their respective ports. Keep in mind when looking at the templates overlapped that the 3RZ should have been flipped over. The mounting bolts are on the opposite side to one another.

Creating a 2TR flange and welding it to the 3RZ supercharger runner ports only partially achieves my intent with this project. The other goal is to make it available for others.

I received the 1"X3"X24" aluminum flat bar but it isn't wide enough to account for the 2TR's upper center bolt. So I'll order 1"X4"X24" piece.

Once I have to correct flat bar, I'll send it to the machine shop.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2018
  20. Apr 7, 2018 at 3:18 PM
    IronBagel

IronBagel Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2009 DCSB
    Sub'd. Very interested to see how this goes, keep up the good work! :thumbsup:

FourBanger99 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top