1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

4.0 6spd Manual URD Stage 3 Clutch, TOB Sleeve & Lightweight Flywheel Install Write-Up

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by BassAckwards, Nov 15, 2018.

1. Nov 28, 2018 at 6:04 AM
    Superloki24

Superloki24 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Windsor, ON
    Vehicle:
    '14 X-Runner
    TRD SC, TRD CAI (Gen 1), Full URD Spec-U Exhaust, UCON EMS, , URD Lightweight Steel Flywheel, URD Stage 3, URD Trac Bar, OEM Oil Cooler, Detroit Tru-Trac, Truxedo Titanium Cover, 76mm Throttle Body, XII Performance drop, QA1 Rear Shocks, 4x4 Rear Leaf Springs.
    Haha, good catch......NO Slipping.

Changed the post.

Athlaos and BassAckwards[OP] like this.
  2. Nov 28, 2018 at 6:17 AM
    BassAckwards

BassAckwards [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    AWD Turbo 2TR-FE
    Very good! I was hoping that was the case. These things are too much work to have to change after that short amount of time. Are you running the twin disc setup now? or do you still have the stage 3 in your truck?

Just noticed this in your description.. This is kind of a twin friction material disc since one side is Kevlar and one side is ceramic.. Just wondering if you have the actual twin disc setup they sell

Athlaos likes this.
  3. Nov 28, 2018 at 11:38 AM
    Superloki24

Superloki24 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Windsor, ON
    Vehicle:
    '14 X-Runner
    TRD SC, TRD CAI (Gen 1), Full URD Spec-U Exhaust, UCON EMS, , URD Lightweight Steel Flywheel, URD Stage 3, URD Trac Bar, OEM Oil Cooler, Detroit Tru-Trac, Truxedo Titanium Cover, 76mm Throttle Body, XII Performance drop, QA1 Rear Shocks, 4x4 Rear Leaf Springs.
    I actually got the twin disk first but had to return it and get the single disk stage three.....just haven't updated my description yet.

The twin disk that I installed had some shaking issues. Not sure if it was the way I installed or what, but Gadget was awesome enough to let me switch it out to a Stage 3. The bad thing is that it shook my truck so much that it broke the quill right off the bell housing. So I had to take the entire transmission apart (the trans gear shaft are hooked to the bell housing from the inside so you have to take the entire trans apart from the back to the front just to swap bell housings) and put a used 4x4 bell housing on it.

Looking back I should have just gotten the stage 3 from the get go. It grabs just as hard and has the same pedal feel (maybe slightly stiffer but not by much). I also got rid of the accumulator too.

4. Jan 8, 2019 at 1:29 PM
    Kolunatic

Kolunatic Broke ass

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    07 DC peerunner
    Nice job op:thumbsup:

BassAckwards[OP] likes this.
  5. Jan 8, 2019 at 1:30 PM
    BassAckwards

Member:
    Vehicle:
    AWD Turbo 2TR-FE
    Thanks brother!! :fistbump:

Kolunatic[QUOTED] likes this.
  6. Jan 18, 2019 at 7:47 AM
    EatSleepTacos

EatSleepTacos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    West Valley, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2017 4Runner
  7. Jan 18, 2019 at 9:08 AM
    BassAckwards

Member:
    Vehicle:
    AWD Turbo 2TR-FE
    EatSleepTacos[QUOTED] likes this.
  8. Oct 7, 2019 at 8:38 AM
    Myz250f

Myz250f Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    daniel
    New York
    exhaust, headlight bulbs, k&n intake, programer, toytec boss front coil overs, toytec boss rear shocks, sway bar relocation, Dakar leaf pak, oc taco extended stainless steel break lines (red), kicker component front speakers, kicker 2 way rear speakers, pioneer head unit, mtx thunder amp, reverse light bulbs
    Sub

9. Jan 17, 2021 at 1:10 AM
    RocketTaco808

RocketTaco808 Resident Telescope Expert

Member:
    Maui
    Vehicle:
    08 4wd URD MKIII.1 6-Speed
    Poly bushings all around, URD Headers, Composite Carbon Stage II clutch, TRD short throw, URD Spec U Exhaust, Tow package, Bunny Trails, Fairy Dust, Triple Dynamat Insulated, Blood, sweat, grit and some good old fashion elbow grease.
    Perhaps I’m blind, but what did you use the red threadlocker for(was on the materials list but I did’t see it in the execution details?

Also, is there a thread or somewhere I can look into regarding the chance of slipping a tooth in cam timing if the flywheel does move? I thought everything was tied together like lamb and tuna fish :)

10. Jan 17, 2021 at 6:38 AM
    BassAckwards

Member:
    Vehicle:
    AWD Turbo 2TR-FE
    the red thread locker was used on the pressure plate bolts. I dont think i ever wrote out where to use it, just had a picture. Good catch, ill go back and add this

11. Jan 17, 2021 at 8:40 AM
    6 gearT444E

6 gearT444E Certified Electron Pusher

Member:
    Deep South
    Herculiner Hootus
    the flywheel moving only turns the crankshaft, as long as the timing chain is connected there’s no danger to slipping a tooth in any timing. Never heard of that before.

RocketTaco808[QUOTED] likes this.
  12. Jan 17, 2021 at 12:36 PM
    RocketTaco808

Member:
    Maui
    Vehicle:
    Poly bushings all around, URD Headers, Composite Carbon Stage II clutch, TRD short throw, URD Spec U Exhaust, Tow package, Bunny Trails, Fairy Dust, Triple Dynamat Insulated, Blood, sweat, grit and some good old fashion elbow grease.
    Got it, thanks! Now that I understand where you applied, would blue not be enough for that? Don’t recall the stock bolts for the PP having locker in them, and couldn’t imagine trying to take them out in 10 years with red threadlocker holding them in.

13. Jan 17, 2021 at 12:39 PM
    RocketTaco808

Member:
    Maui
    Vehicle:
    That’s exactly what I was thinking. Figured mayyyyyybe there was some weird thing if one were to turn the flywheel in the direction opposite to normal engine operation.

14. Jan 17, 2021 at 12:49 PM
    RocketTaco808

Member:
    Maui
    Vehicle:
    Btw, here’s what my stock clutch had left on it. At 165,000 miles. This thing was AWESOME, towed many things all over the place, taught two other people how to drive stick, and I always drove it like a stole it (btw F*CK thieves/meth heads that steal instead of applying themselves as the awesome mechanics they could be -fearless, energy- to earn their snuff), but never abused it.
    8BB837E1-C19A-4DED-AEF6-CA6F486CCDDD.jpg 8BB837E1-C19A-4DED-AEF6-CA6F486CCDDD.jpgE963EED3-4D92-469E-A09A-01B2D87FF65E.jpg E74EA014-3926-49BC-B95B-CF482FD15731.jpg

I recall reading once long ago that Toyota included tougher clutches and the engine oil cooler for the towing package. Engine oil cooler was a FANTASTIC idea which we have all seen, but still never heard anything else in regards to the clutches being tougher.

15. Jun 20, 2022 at 4:07 AM
    RocketTaco808

Member:
    Maui
    Vehicle:
    Update.. RED THREADLOCKER for pressure plate bolts is a Gooooood idea - says the guy who used blue threadlocker and is dropping the tranny after 20k miles due to loose pressure plate bolts lol

16. Apr 18, 2023 at 4:48 AM
    DesertRatliff

DesertRatliff Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mt. Hood, OR
    Vehicle:
    Mas Tacos Por Favor
    Thanks for posting this, @BassAckwards. How are you liking the URD clutch after a few years of use?

20somethingwidataco likes this.
  17. Apr 18, 2023 at 6:09 AM
    BassAckwards

Member:
    Vehicle:
    AWD Turbo 2TR-FE
    Hey there, glad you found the writeup helpful! I ran the URD clutch for about 25k miles and i was not ever nice to it. It served me well and it never had any issues. Ultimately, i ended up swapping it for a SPEC stage 2+ because the engagement point was starting to feel like it was towards the top of the pedal, and i started to worry it would leave me on the side of the road bc of how i had treated it in the past lol.

After swapping it out though, the new one has the exact same area near the top of the pedal throw where it starts to grab, so i dont think the URD clutch was on it's way out. The disc had lots of meat on it still when i pulled it out. Long story short, i really liked the URD stage 3 and i beat the crap out of it without any problems. Definitely would recommend it if you like a grabbier clutch, or have some power adders on your truck

18. Apr 18, 2023 at 7:00 AM
    DesertRatliff

Member:
    Mt. Hood, OR
    Vehicle:
    Mas Tacos Por Favor
    Awesome. Thanks for the info. I'd love to supercharge someday (loved it on my 1st gen) but for now have a few N/A power adders (cam gears, y-pipe/exhaust, intake, HPT tune) but the price tags on the performance clutches are hard to stomach. What are your thoughts on the stock Aisin gear for my application (N/A power adders, occasional 2k towing to the dump, light wheeling)? Thanks so much for your time.

19. Apr 18, 2023 at 7:03 AM
    BassAckwards

Member:
    Vehicle:
    AWD Turbo 2TR-FE
    I wouldn't have any issue with running a stock Aisin disc with your setup. Unless you add boost, i dont think you'll have any issues. Just keep in mind though, the stock clutches definitely arent rated for the TRD/Magnuson blower, even in stock form. Mine lasted 8k miles after adding the TRD blower with the stock pulley size. Just keep that in mind if you do add a blower one day, the clutch will probably need to be addressed again as well

20. Apr 18, 2023 at 7:09 AM
    DesertRatliff

Member:
    Mt. Hood, OR
    Vehicle:
    Mas Tacos Por Favor
    Great info. Thanks again.

To Top