1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

4.0 V6 MPG improvements

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Charged05, Aug 11, 2011.

1. Aug 12, 2011 at 3:02 PM
    JKD

JKD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Yet Whippersnapper's suggestion is to buy a Prius, which costs $25,000 or so. "Isn't the point of saving MPG to spend less money, overall?"

The point is to make the most of what you have, until your needs change and you get something else.

2. Aug 12, 2011 at 3:05 PM
    supralight

supralight Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Earth
    Vehicle:
    2013 4Runner limited
    Don't forget pumping losses. I think a gas engine is more efficient at high throttle due to this, which would probably lead to the 3 cyl to be more efficient with the correct gearing. Though it would be sad to get to 60MPH

3. Aug 12, 2011 at 6:25 PM
    JKD

JKD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Or, as is often the case, someone gets a truck because they need a truck, but they want it to be as economical as possible.

A 4cyl. base Tacoma would get better mileage than my V6 Prerunner. But I still keep my tires aired up, drive slower back roads when possible, and watch my driving habits to get the maximum reasonable economy I can get for my vehicle.

If I could make a small change to my truck and pick up 0.5 avg. mpg, taking me from 19.5 to 20.0, it would save me about 30 gallons of gas per year, or about $100. Buying a Prius would save me about 640 gallons of gas, or about $2240 per year.

But I would have to factor in renting a truck about once or twice a month, on average, to do things that require the bed space. But no one rents trucks in my area. So that means more miles to rent one out of town, drive it here, haul the stuff I need to haul, and then take it back. Suddenly, that one or two times I need a truck cost me around 2 additional hours and a couple hundred dollars in rental fees and gas per month. Suddenly saving $2400 per year buying a Prius doesn't look as attractive--and I haven't even considered the car payment yet.

And you know one of the things that gets discussed frequently on the Prius version of Tacomaworld? How to get better MPG.

4. Aug 12, 2011 at 6:49 PM
    originalthoughts

originalthoughts Well-Known Member

Member:
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    1997 Land Cruiser
    None, factory diff lockers are great.
    +1

5. Aug 12, 2011 at 7:38 PM
    AndrewFalk

AndrewFalk Science!

Member:
    The North East
    Vehicle:
    2010 5 speed 5 lug
    :)
    Some people spend money to have fun off road, while others would rather spend some money to make their vehicle more efficient. I really don't see why you are so closed minded about fuel efficiency. If you don't have anything of value to add to the thread, then why even bother posting?

6. Aug 12, 2011 at 7:53 PM
    worthywads

worthywads Well-Known Member

Member:
    Peoples Republic of Boulder
    Vehicle:
    05 5-lug access I4 Stick, 70 Challenger Vert
    Try this site for ideas.

http://ecomodder.com/

But forget intake, exhaust, ram-air, they do not increase mpg and you won't find them listed as effective mods at ecomodder.

7. Aug 12, 2011 at 9:42 PM
    colder

colder Well-Known Member

Member:
    MN
    Vehicle:
    2011 Access Cab TRD Sport
    There is a community for trying to get extreme MPG just like there is for off roading or any other car-related interest. These are the people going 60mph on the freeway, tailgating semis, shutting the car off going downhill, ditching their spare tire, any other crazy idea you can think of.

That's fine if that is what you are into. Buying a Prius, then modding for more MPG, then driving as lightly as possible for further MPG, all is heading in the same direction. Squeezing more MPG out of a Prius is like modding a truck to make it more of a truck.

It doesn't make a lot of sense to me to buy a pickup and then spend tons of money modding it to save a little money on each fillup. It's penny wise and pound foolish.

(and speaking of penny wise and pound foolish, if you're crazy about saving money on your car why stop at MPG, a Prius isn't your best deal, you should be driving a Yaris or an Echo or something)

But there's nothing wrong with discussing it. I like reading that others have tested various theories so I learn the outcome without the outlay $$

8. Aug 12, 2011 at 9:52 PM
    TacomaGus

TacomaGus Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gus
    Morgantown, WV
    Vehicle:
    08 White TRD Sport DC
    Tinted Tails, TRD Shift Knob, Kenwood Headunit, Ebay BHLM Lights, Trimmed Mud Flaps, 265/70/17 General Grabber AT2's, WeatherTech Mats, Black Badges, Sylvania ZXE Bulbs, AFE Stage 2 Si Intake, 17x8.5 Level 8 Guardian Wheels, URD SS, Custom 2.5" Catback with Aero 2525 and Vibrant Ultra Quiet Resonator, URD MAF CAL, JBA LT Headers, OME 884's, Nitrochargers, Dakars with 3rd lead removed, Light Racing UCA's
    Got almost 21mpg highway with my 4.0 6 speed. I have an afe pr dry s filter, wicked flow muffler, and lifted one inch. But something I did change on the trip was the shift early and stay under 70 mph mod, best previous to this was 18.5 mpg highway

9. Aug 12, 2011 at 10:09 PM
    DheadTaco

DheadTaco Pill it till you kill it!

Member:
    Gulf Coast, Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma PreRunner SR5 Impulse Red Pearl
    -Color Matched Grill & Toyota emblem -Headlights from WOTM -Tinted Fogs with Lamin-x (Tint) -Tinted taillights with Lamin-x (Tint) -6K HIDs in headlights and fogs -20% tint all around -Plasti-dipped badges -Plasti-dipped back bumper -Mud flap mod -'10 running-boards -LEDs all around -AFE drop-in
    This thread turned really bad, really fast.
    +1 for the 20+ MPG with a S/C. I get about that with just the 4.0.
    Also, running strong with all of those miles on it?

10. Aug 12, 2011 at 11:41 PM
    Kingfrog

Kingfrog Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Rugged Trail Edition
    Undercover,Pop n Lock, Hardwired GPS, Garage door opener , Scanguage II, wireless back up camera, X994 Basslink, ...Prefer stock and non invasive functional mods
    +1 Who buys 6 CYL 4WD (or 2WD) TRUCK then worries about fuel economy.......MMm I'll take that one Alex.....Who is a complete idiot?

11. Aug 13, 2011 at 12:03 AM
    2008taco

2008taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    chris
    san diego
    Meh, while the prius does get 40-45mpg realistically I wouldn't call that great. Some diesel cars in the UK are getting 70+ mpg, and that's stock to boot! The biggest thing that irked me about this thread is if the OP searched a little bit he would have realized that 19mpg for his truck WITH the mods he has is amazing. Second most manufacturers build their cars to get around the best mpg they can, So short of throwing 1000's into the vehicle you're not going to see major gains. By the time he gets this truck to the mid to high 20's he could have bought the prius AND kept his truck.

12. Aug 13, 2011 at 12:06 AM
    tacobo670

tacobo670 if you have to ask, u can't afford it

Member:
    First Name:
    Ray
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma Sport 4x4 AC 6spd
    Super cherry n some champion stuff on the side
    damn. i think im getting 9-10 MPG. Seriously. wow. i average 180-190 before i fill up.
    could it be my lead-foot mod?

13. Aug 13, 2011 at 12:43 AM
    MountainEarth

MountainEarth Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR Access
    Leer 100XR Shell, BedRug mat - comfy sleeping, GT Covers microfiber seat covers, BFG All Terrains 265/70r16, Dashmat, Antennax 13" shorty antenna, Weathertech liners, Ultra Gauge, Avid Light Bar, PIAA 520 ATPs, one old dog
    Mostly highway makes a big difference, but that you are getting nearly 20 with the 6-speed is pretty damn good as the 6-speed is notorious for bad gas mileage .. the exception being 65 and below where it does fantastic. I'm guessing most of your highway miles are in that range? Get a 6-speed above 70 and you start chewing through gas.

14. Aug 13, 2011 at 5:25 AM
    AndrewFalk

AndrewFalk Science!

Member:
    The North East
    Vehicle:
    2010 5 speed 5 lug
    :)
    Yea, I think you need a new foot hahaha.

15. Aug 13, 2011 at 7:34 AM
    Charged05

Charged05 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2005 TRD Charged 4.0 6SPD
    SuperCharged
    Wow, I did not think people would start arguing about this. I think its simple, if you dont like the topic then dont talk.

What is wrong with getting better fuel economy by spending some money? just like whats wrong with spending money to lower fuel economy to be able to do more off road.

It all comes down to preference of the idividual. I like to wheel and I still want the fuel economy. I'm not bitching about my MPG's im very satisfied now that I have feed back on others MPG's who have the same trucks. I just want to improve and asked for ideas and suggestions. All my mods are actually cheap because I got the meterial for free, at most I will spend 100 bucks for the Air-Dam, cold air intake and the electric fan set up. so why not try them and see what happens. My air-dam will be bolt on so I can remove to wheel.

Not everyone has money, some have imagination and creativity. possibly the upside of obtaining meterials for cheap or free. besides paint is cheap and doesnt paint make anything look better if a home made mod is created.

I dont view these forums as debate rooms, but as a place to share information and ideas for others who may not have thought of things yet. so Keep it simple and dont talk about topics you dont agree with or like. that would be alot more productive with these topics.

The MPG's could be all due to the octane level of location, in Colorado the levels go 87, 89 and 91 is premium.

I really appreciate all the helpful suggestions to possibly improve on what I already have.

If you cant afford gas for your comute how can you afford another vehicle?(unless your rich, well off or own a company and can rite it off)

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions and ideas. and sorry for the debate session

16. Aug 13, 2011 at 8:21 AM
    worthywads

worthywads Well-Known Member

Member:
    Peoples Republic of Boulder
    Vehicle:
    05 5-lug access I4 Stick, 70 Challenger Vert
    ^

You are correct than the altitude in CO is part of the reason you are getting 20. Thinner air creates less wind resistance. I've only left CO a few times with my truck, driving to Dallas, Memphis, and Vegas which is still up there and I got noticeably lower mpg especially in Memphis/Mississipi.

Another part at altitude the engine just makes less power, and less power means less fuel.

Here is a post from a guy making air dams.

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=351526

17. Aug 13, 2011 at 1:04 PM
    Syncros

Syncros Well-Known Member

Member:
    Cheapest and best mod is slowing down. I enjoy driving my truck and don't mind getting somewhere 5 minutes late.

18. Aug 13, 2011 at 1:17 PM
    RideFast

RideFast on the flats.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Albuquerque New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    ^^^^^ I had my wife do the slow down mod on the 4runner
    [​IMG]
    21 mpg

19. Aug 13, 2011 at 1:32 PM
    BrokenTusk

BrokenTusk I support a velociraptor free workplace.

Member:
    First Name:
    Marcelasaurus
    AB, Canada
    Vehicle:
    The Scarlett Whore
    Check Build Thread!!
    Why the sound deadoning....?

20. Aug 13, 2011 at 1:36 PM
    BrokenTusk

BrokenTusk I support a velociraptor free workplace.

Member:
    First Name:
    Marcelasaurus
    AB, Canada
    Vehicle:
    The Scarlett Whore
    Check Build Thread!!
    The whole few ounces of it?? :D

Products Discussed in

To Top