1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

4.0L 1GR 2nd Gen Oil Change Guide

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by chris4x4, Jul 8, 2008.

1. Mar 15, 2010 at 12:36 PM
    TacomaDan

TacomaDan Don't go off ninjin

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Woodland, CA
    Vehicle:
    1996 Toyota Tacoma Fully Not Loaded
    Love, Cobra 29 LTD BT CB w/ A2000 Highgear antenna, FOX/Fabtech Coilovers, Magnaflow
    Ok this may have already been answered and i just cant find it. Is there something you need to do to get your engine ready for full synthetic? i mean as far as flushing out all the old regular oil and have the syn not be contaminated or does it even matter... Than you for any help!
    EDIT: 96 3.4L

2. Mar 15, 2010 at 12:52 PM
    george3

george3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2008 2.7 Manual Trans Tacoma
    Seat belt beeper, Cabelas (Weathertech) floor liner gray, Covercraft Seat Savers in Taupe, Protecta Heavy Duty Rubber Truck Bed Mat, Pop n Lock PL5200, Pace Edwards Full Metal JackRabbit, Wolverine oil pan heater, Scangauge2, afe pro dry s filter, Remote Underbody 4 Piece LED Light Kit (White) used as Bed light, DIY Washable Cabin Air Filter, PA15-TOY, 4x4 Illuminated Switch, full synthetic, Redline Tuning Hood Support, Smittybilt Nerf Steps black powder-coated
    No. Just change it like you always do. They even sell syn mixed with dino. You can switch back and forth if you want to. I don't know why you would but you can.

3. Mar 15, 2010 at 12:54 PM
    TacomaDan

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Woodland, CA
    Vehicle:
    Love, Cobra 29 LTD BT CB w/ A2000 Highgear antenna, FOX/Fabtech Coilovers, Magnaflow
    ok cool. Ya im thinking of changing to full synthetic. So you can go 10k with a good filter an no worries?

4. Mar 15, 2010 at 1:24 PM
    george3

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    Seat belt beeper, Cabelas (Weathertech) floor liner gray, Covercraft Seat Savers in Taupe, Protecta Heavy Duty Rubber Truck Bed Mat, Pop n Lock PL5200, Pace Edwards Full Metal JackRabbit, Wolverine oil pan heater, Scangauge2, afe pro dry s filter, Remote Underbody 4 Piece LED Light Kit (White) used as Bed light, DIY Washable Cabin Air Filter, PA15-TOY, 4x4 Illuminated Switch, full synthetic, Redline Tuning Hood Support, Smittybilt Nerf Steps black powder-coated
    I just change to syn on Sun. I plan to go with 5k OCI. That seems to be a good number from people I respect. Chris 4X4 being on the top of the list around here. I was going with 3k OCI when I ran dino.

5. Mar 15, 2010 at 1:44 PM
    JKD

JKD Well-Known Member

Member:
    If you're out of warranty and your engine is in good shape, then it shouldn't be a problem.

However, whenever going with extended OCI you should do a periodic oil analysis. Blackstone Labs and Titan Labs are two popular choices. If your oil is not outside of allowable specs on any of the tested indicators, then you're probably safe at that OCI.

6. Mar 15, 2010 at 2:28 PM
    george3

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    I'm just a little curious. You and everyone else on here has $25k to $35k invested in a Tacoma. If you use syn and go with 5k OCI on average most of us will change it 2 or 3 times a year. If you DIY that's $50-$75 a year. Isn't that cheap to protect your investment ? You can test your oil but that's going to be $30 so you could add a oil change for that. Curious George:confused:

7. Mar 15, 2010 at 4:58 PM
    JKD

JKD Well-Known Member

Member:
    I drive about 25,000 miles per year. Do I want five oil changes, or 2-3? If I do five, am I wasting my money on the rest of them?

If an oil analysis says my oil is fine at 12,000 miles, it won't make any sense for me to change it at 5,000 unless there is a pressing reason--such as keeping the warranty intact. That is the only reason I am changing it at 5k right now.

I would be doing the oil analysis anyway, since it lets me track the health of the engine internals.

8. Mar 15, 2010 at 5:14 PM
    george3

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    I'd like to hear how the analysis goes. Maybe I'll rethink the 5K. Thanks.

9. Mar 15, 2010 at 5:31 PM
    TacomaDan

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Woodland, CA
    Vehicle:
    I dunno. Im still stuck. Obviously i am out of warranty being a 96 and 128k. Should i go 10k with synthetic or just stay at the manufacturers recommended 5k with reg dino oil. If staying at 5k intervals why even waste the money for full synthetic. I though the point was to extend oil change intervals?

10. Mar 15, 2010 at 6:01 PM
    hate2work

hate2work Well-Known Member

Member:
    Washington State
    Vehicle:
    06 standard cab
    I use synthetics and change at 5k, but I wait until I can get it on sale and then I stock up a bit. For example, I was able to pick up several 5 quart jugs of Pennzoil Platinum last Fall for $1 a quart after rebate. A more typical sale price for the syns I run is around $3 a quart, still a good deal for me. Watch for sale prices and/or rebates on PP, Valvoline Synpower, Napa full syn oil, etc. A very good oil that sometimes gets overlooked is the Motorcraft full syn oil, usually around $18 for a 5 quart jug at WM.

All the oils I mentioned will go 6k in most applications, and that gives a margin of safety, if you will. IOW, if I don't get a chance to change the oil right at 5k, I know I'll still be fine if I can't get it done for another week or two. And by watching for sale prices, I get the syn oil around the usual price of dino oil.

11. Mar 23, 2010 at 10:27 AM
    drifter379

drifter379 CenTex Honky

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma SR5 Prerunner
    Secondary Air filter mod,Removed running boards,AFE Pro dry filter,sirius satelite radio,relocated horns,sockmonkey decal,EZ change drain plug,color matched grille,grille craft mx, BHLM, Fog light mod, Hellas behind the grille
    I grabbed the wrong filter and didnt realize it untill too late. Some how I grabbed a 101. Already drained and took the old filter off. Not a big deal right? Well the filter wrench i use crushed the old filter on one side. BUt now I dont have a choice but to drive it to work and wont be able to change the filter untill tomorrow. The filter is not completely crushed just smashed in on one side. So I put it back on and will hope for the best.

12. Mar 24, 2010 at 10:28 AM
    amati5

amati5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prerunner TRD
    I stopped changing the oil years ago but when I did, I usually let the oil drained out before installing the new filter thinking it would drain more completely and faster because it's less air tight. Did that make any difference?

13. Mar 24, 2010 at 3:48 PM
    tacoteacher

tacoteacher Well-Known Member

Member:
    socal
    Vehicle:
    05 SR5 access cab 4wd
    Stock for now
  14. Apr 7, 2010 at 9:45 AM
    Veccster

Veccster bass turds

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Pittsburgh - The City of Champions
    Vehicle:
    2020 Pro
    Can I switch oil brands?

My truck has 12K miles and has had the oil changed 2x. Once at the dealership at 5K and once by me at 10K. When I changed it, I put in Penzoil Platinum Full Synthetic and a Mobil 1 filter. If I get Mobil 1 Full Synthetic on sale, is it a bad idea to switch? Should I stick with the same brand each time I change it?

I know I need to stay with synthetic but I'm wondering if brand matters.

15. Apr 7, 2010 at 12:07 PM
    neverstuck

neverstuck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vancouver Island
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB sport
    slide-in camper, OME Nitros w 884's and Dakars, Michelin A/T2, Pro EFX heated towing mirrors, Timbren HD bumpstops, KB VooDoo bed rails and tailgate cap, ImMrYo rvm bracket, G-Tek Fab door sill protectors, Ultragauge, window visors, hood deflector, Wet Okole seatcovers, in-vehicle safe.
    You don't have to even stick with synthetic if you don't want to. It's OK to switch brands or types at oil changes. If you have to top up for any reason make sure it's the same weight.

16. Apr 8, 2010 at 9:53 PM
    ryanf

ryanf Well-Known Member

Member:
    NY
    Vehicle:
    06 AC 4X4 6cly/6spd TRD-OR
    Rain Visors,
    took me 4 oil changes till i noticed the plug underneath there.

17. Apr 9, 2010 at 10:47 AM
    packrobottom

packrobottom Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pack
    Vehicle:
    Sky Silver SR5 DC v6 with sport mods
    I just did my first oil change on my 2010 prerunner access cab v6. It went fine besides one issue.

I let it drain for a long time atleast an hour and then put in one 5quart jug of Mobile1. I then added an additonal 1/2 quart for a total of 5.5 quarts. It's quite a bit over the second dot on the dipstick when I read it cold this morning.. Man is that dipstick retardedly hard to read and is it me or did Conan put on that factory oil filter. It was so ridiculous to get off. I finally got it off by using the top socket style oil filter tool and wrapping the filter in a dish washing glove for extra grip as it was stripping the tool.

Anyway I'm concerned that it's over full. Should I drain some oil back out?

18. Apr 9, 2010 at 10:54 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 [OP] With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    5.5 quarts is what it takes. Dont drain any out.

19. Apr 9, 2010 at 11:18 AM
    packrobottom

packrobottom Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pack
    Vehicle:
    Sky Silver SR5 DC v6 with sport mods
    I realize it takes 5.5 but why is it so over the fill line? My concern is too much oil.

20. Apr 9, 2010 at 11:20 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 [OP] With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Not sure. Mine reads over, if I check it first thing in the morning.

To Top