1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

4.0L 1GR 2nd Gen Oil Change Guide

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by chris4x4, Jul 8, 2008.

1. Jul 23, 2014 at 7:24 PM
    st101

st101 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fellas,

Looking for advice on type/brand of oil for first oil change. Going to try and do DIY. Total novice, though.

1. 2014 DCSB 4WD w/ Automatic V6
    2. Current mileage is 4,575
    3. I have an oil catch-can installed (ADD-W1)
    4. Located in South West desert (very hot in summer. Can get down to 20degF in winter at night. DRY DRY DRY)
    5. I drive fairly easy and rarely punch it
    6. Typically commute only 5 minutes to work at ~30mph. 2x per week I have to drive over a mountain range at ~20 degree grade. Highway speed limits are 75.. though I usually stick to 60mph while climbing grade.
    7. I hope to occasionally go off-roading (no crawling, though)

Seen people say to stick with regular oil. Seen people go synthetic.
    My inclination is to just go with standard oil at least until 10,000 miles, but I'm a n00b at this stuff.
    Open to comments/advice [either in-thread or via PM]
    Thanks!

-st

2. Jul 24, 2014 at 4:43 AM
    TenBeers

TenBeers Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Pro Cavalry Blue
    CBI bed rack and sliders, Backwoods Adventure Mods front and rear bumpers, etc. And some stickers.
    If you change the oil and filter every 5K miles, going with a quality regular 5W-30 is probably just fine. I am OCD and use synthetic because it makes me feel better. You can switch to synthetic anytime. In the long run there might be a slight difference in wear, but I think more important is changing it regularly and on schedule.

3. Jul 24, 2014 at 5:24 AM
    YOTA LOVER

YOTA LOVER Stay Calm, and Fire For Effect

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    NH
    Vehicle:
    2011 MGM Tacoma DCLB SR5
    A slew of pricey stuff my wife hates me for.

Picked up half a case of oem filters and crush gaskets from a member who sold his Taco. Started running Mobil full synth for two reasons, 1. It ran well in my 95 Taco, and they sell it in a convenient 5 quart jug. So far so good.

4. Jul 26, 2014 at 11:08 PM
    st101

st101 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Thanks for the replies, TenBeers and YOTA LOVER.
    I ended up purchasing a Synthetic (Penzoil Ultra Platinum) @ 5W-30.
    Had adventures with both swapping out the oil filter (my filter wrench was useless -- Ended up having to drive a screwdriver through the middle and corkscrewing off) and draining the oil (NIAGARA FALLS).

I'm letting the oil drip-drain overnight. My followup questions are: Should I be looking for anything in the old oil for signs of good/bad? What is this magnet/shavings check I keep hearing about? This is the first oil change on the vehicle (4,575 miles on it). Anything else aside from the tutorial on Page 1 of this thread I should consider for a first oil change? Thanks.

5. Jul 27, 2014 at 6:16 AM
    TenBeers

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    CBI bed rack and sliders, Backwoods Adventure Mods front and rear bumpers, etc. And some stickers.
    Drip-draining overnight is a little extreme, but to each his own.:p

I don't know if the oil drain plug is magnetic, I don't think it is. The diff drain plugs are, but that is completely different.

As long as you are changing the oil and filter on the 5K schedule, there's not a lot you need to check regarding the oil. Maybe just noticing anything that stands out as different from normal like a burnt smell, things like that.

6. Jul 27, 2014 at 9:56 AM
    st101

st101 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Just smells like oil to me. When it was pouring out it looked black but when looking at a single drop it's amber/transparent. I assume that's how it's supposed to be. Thanks for the feedback.

7. Jul 27, 2014 at 10:39 AM
    F250

F250 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Birmingham, AL
    Vehicle:
    2010 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4 DCLB
    Everything you're describing sounds completely normal.

If you want to moniter your engine and oil closer than this, your best bet would be to start doing oil analysis with every oil change.

Blackstone labs are good, my dad's been using them for years for his oil analysis. They send you a little container for an oil sample, then you fill it and send it back to them. They will send you a complete report on your oil including concentration levels of metals in your oil and how quickly your oil is breaking down. It can give you a pretty accurate look at how fast internal parts are wearing and how your oil is standing up to wear/use.

I don't think it's necessary for a brand new stock vehicle, but if you want to do it there's no harm at all.

8. Jul 27, 2014 at 12:26 PM
    YOTA LOVER

YOTA LOVER Stay Calm, and Fire For Effect

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    NH
    Vehicle:
    2011 MGM Tacoma DCLB SR5
    A slew of pricey stuff my wife hates me for.
    I would recommend buying a magnetic drain plug. It can help forewarn you of impending issues.

9. Jul 27, 2014 at 5:28 PM
    TheFang

TheFang No Big Deal

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Sport
    TRD Exhaust, URD Short Shift, TRD Supercharger, Hellwig rear sway bar, TWM shift knob, limo tint, URD Y-pipe, URD LT Headers, URD Rear O2 Sim, Custom tube front and rear bumpers, LED spot pods, K&N CAI
    After much reading and thought, I decided to change the oil in my '14 V6 4.0 taco at 3k miles just for the heck of it. I've changed oil dozens of times on multiple different vehicles, but having never owned a brand new one I was interested in all of the debate on metal shaveings and the pros and cons of an early oil change. I placed a very strong magnet on my drain plug and ran the engine for 7-10min. I attached a picture of the placement and the strangth of the magnet. I let the engine cool for about 2hrs then changed the oil. No shavings of any kind and the oil wasn't really that dirty. Put in full synthetic Mobil 1. It's all GTG. I do have a little better peace of mind running quality synthetic over the stock oil and filter. Metal shavings is apparently a myth this early in the game. Nothing on the magnet drain plug hookup and I even felt around in the bottom of the drain pan. Ill run the same set up on follow on oil changes and see what comes up.

IMAG0078.jpg
    IMAG0079.jpg

Last edited: Jul 27, 2014
  10. Aug 25, 2014 at 4:18 PM
    DrRabbitFurHead

DrRabbitFurHead Yeah, there's a TSB for that!

Member:
    Salem, VA
    Vehicle:
    X-treme Off Road Edition (4x4)
    Icon Extended Travel Coil Overs, Fox Rear Resi 8-Way Adjustable Shocks, Light Racing UCA's, OME Rear Leafs, M/T Classic Locks 17x9, Nitto T/G (285/70/R17), 5mm Billet Aluminum Spacers, Demello Sliders, All Pro Front Plate Bumper & IFS Skid Plate, PIAA 510's, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, O2 sims, Rear Timbren's & U-Bolt Flip Kit , 3* Rear Axel Shims, Extended Rear Brake Lines, 48" Hi-Lift with a ton of accessories, Wet Okoles, TRD bed mat, Borla Air Filter, Garmin Nuvi 765T, Viper 5901 remote start, 50% tint.
    OK, after 8 years of ownership I've decided to start changing my own oil. I can't figure out where the oil pan is as I have an All Pro skid plate blocking my view (I think). So... is the oil pan on the drivers side or passengers side of the truck? I'm sure people have not been removing the skid plate to change my oil, so any tips on accessing the bolt?
    Thanks!

11. Aug 25, 2014 at 4:47 PM
    toyotatacomaTRD

toyotatacomaTRD Senior Member

Member:
    It's the one closest to the front of your truck. I think it's right in the middle, but it might be a tad closer to one side. Grab a flashlight and scope it out. I was nervous the first time after reading how many people make the mistake of grabbing the transmission bolt, but once you are under there, it makes sense.

12. Aug 25, 2014 at 4:53 PM
    js312

js312 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    New England
    Vehicle:
    23 F150 PowerBoost Lariat 502a
    Husky Weatherbeaters, OEM Mud Guards, Wheel Well Liners, Bullet Spray-In Bed Liner, Gator Soft Tri-Fold Cover, Hankook DynaPro AT2 (Summer), Blizzak DM-V2 (Winter)
    I did it for the first time on mine this weekend. I just hit about 5k miles since I bought it. Found the same thing. Took some strength to budge it with a wrench! Fill cap was also tight enough so I couldn't budge it by hand! More reason for me to do it myself.

The truck took 5.5 qts dead on. Funny, the 3.0L H6 I had in my Outback would take nearly 7 before reading full!

13. Aug 25, 2014 at 4:57 PM
    DrRabbitFurHead

Member:
    Salem, VA
    Vehicle:
    Icon Extended Travel Coil Overs, Fox Rear Resi 8-Way Adjustable Shocks, Light Racing UCA's, OME Rear Leafs, M/T Classic Locks 17x9, Nitto T/G (285/70/R17), 5mm Billet Aluminum Spacers, Demello Sliders, All Pro Front Plate Bumper & IFS Skid Plate, PIAA 510's, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, O2 sims, Rear Timbren's & U-Bolt Flip Kit , 3* Rear Axel Shims, Extended Rear Brake Lines, 48" Hi-Lift with a ton of accessories, Wet Okoles, TRD bed mat, Borla Air Filter, Garmin Nuvi 765T, Viper 5901 remote start, 50% tint.
    So then, the skid plate is in the way...
    Anyone ever change the oil w/o removing the skid plate? Is that doable?

14. Aug 25, 2014 at 6:26 PM
    ImpulseRed008

ImpulseRed008 Gone But Not Forgotten

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 V6 w/tow pkg
    OEM SS tube steps, Access LE tonneau cover, pop n'lock, AVS in-channel vent visors, stubby antenna, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, rear diff breather mod, 4 extra d rings in bed, K&N air filter.
  15. Aug 25, 2014 at 6:59 PM
    toyotatacomaTRD

toyotatacomaTRD Senior Member

Member:
    So if you can't get to it due to the skid plate, I sure hope you had a dang good place changing your oil the last 8 years. My wife's Subaru has a very hard to reach oil filter, several years ago, it was really cold out and I didn't feel like doing it in the garage so I took it to a local place. The next time I changed it myself, it still had the filter I put on it two changes before... I know because I always write the mileage on the filter with a silver sharpie. They didn't even bother changing the filter because it was hard for them to get to. I now change it myself no matter the weather.

16. Aug 25, 2014 at 7:13 PM
    File IFR

File IFR "... Intercepting The Localizer"

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Central MA
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM 4X4 DC-LB TRD Sport

17. Aug 26, 2014 at 4:54 AM
    DrRabbitFurHead

Member:
    Salem, VA
    Vehicle:
    Thanks. Just purchased the valve with the nipple, the 3' hose and the new lever lock.

I got on my crawler in my work clothes last night in a dark garage and rolled around under the truck. I didn't see the oil pan which is why I asked. My truck has 68k miles on it and most of the oil changes have been at a local Toyota dealership that takes 90 minutes to change the oil. Maybe (hopefully) that's why...
    Either way, I've decided to switch to full synthetic and will change it myself once the valve arrives.

I'd still be interested to see what others with an off-road skid plate say about changing the oil with the skid plate in the way. Is the valve the only way around changing the oil w/o removing the skid plate?

18. Sep 4, 2014 at 11:05 AM
    matadorCE

matadorCE Well-Known Member

Member:
    Melbourne, FL
    Vehicle:
    '05 Prerunner Accesscab TRD Offroad
    Anyone know where (besides the dealership) to get that stupid plug for the filter drain area? Mine cracked pretty bad so it doesn't really work as a plug to hold any oil that gets into that little overflow drain area.

19. Sep 5, 2014 at 6:15 AM
    TenBeers

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    Most auto parts stores should have an assortment of vacuum plugs in different sizes, you could probably find one that works. If you use the hose trick, you probably don't really need one.

20. Sep 14, 2014 at 10:42 AM
    bluedust

bluedust Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Pittsburgh
    Vehicle:
    '12, Access, TRD, Off Road, ,
    Wet Okole Seat Covers, Charcoal & Black "TRD" stiching Stuby Ant., Husky Mud Guards WeatherTech Floor liners
    Damn, this worked out great!

Thanks for write up

Went with synthetic since the tire dealer changed to that last oil change.

Advance sold me a K & N filter for synthetic
    Saved time and $$$

Can't beat that!

To Top