1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

4.7L V8 Engine Swap

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by big matt, Feb 25, 2012.

1. big matt

big matt [OP] New Member

Member:
    3 inch Pro Comp Lift Chrome Bull Bar Chrome Toolbox 285/75/16 Tires 16 inch Ultra wheels Flowmaster muffler 30% window tint Leather Interior Chrome Exhaust Tip
    Is a 4.7L V8 engine swap possible for a 2010 Double Cab? Will I need to replace any other parts? Any Recommendations on where to buy the engine?

2. Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '13 Ford F-150 SCREW
    F-150 Mod
    With enough money, anything is possible. You'd have to replace everything, the engine, ECU, make the drive lines work and possibly beef up the suspension to handle the extra weight. Unless your V6 is toast, it's not worth it in my opinion. If you want power, go for a supercharger, intake, headers and an exhaust.

3. Foihdzas

Foihdzas What is hummingbird?

Member:
    First Name:
    Danny
    B.C Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Dbl Cab 5' Box
    Extra fog lights behind grill, Pro Form rubberized undercoat, Fog lights on w/ high beams mod, Lighted 4wd switch, Husky Liners, 12v always on, Yellow wire mod, DEVIL HORNS BABY!! OME 885's Nitrochargers w/ 1.5" AAL with 1" lift block, Redline hood struts, front/rear winch wiring, Blue Sea systems Fuse Block, Spidertrax spacers, Wet Okle seat covers, ECGS front diff Bering Replacement

x2 , x3 and x4

lol

4. h.zack801

h.zack801 Goose

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Mobile, AL
    Vehicle:
    07 Double Cab SR5 TRD Off-Road 4x4
    1.5" AAL, 5100s w/ stock coils, TJM T15 bumper
    I agree about how much work it'd be. But I mean...if I had the money I'd do it in a heartbeat. I love my Tacoma, but I can't help wishing I had that low rumble of a V8. Not to mention if you had the V8, THEN supercharged it...

Besides...NObody else would have a v8 taco. "Hey man, check this out..." :thumbsup:

5. Warhorseforever

Warhorseforever Will The Thrill

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Sand Lapper
    Vehicle:
    2001 Toyota Tacoma Pre-Runner SR5
    Kenwood KDC-348U HU Kicker DS65 Front Doors Only 2 Polk Audio MM840 Kenwood KAC 8105D for subs SuperCrewSound.com behind rear seat sub box
    What he said, for the money you would put into doing a V8 swap properly I'd go with a diesel swap for the better economy, veggie oil is free if you went that far, better power band, and just because not many others will have it.

6. whippersnapper02

whippersnapper02 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Christian
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Vehicle:
    10 MGM TRD OR 4wd Auto DCSB
    Banks Monster Exhaust, Pop n Lock tailgate lock, Hook-Ups tie down brackets, USA Spec Ipod adaptor, WO seat covers, color matched grill with Grillcraft insert, Tuffy locking bed box
    I would buy something that will actually go fast if I wanted fast.

7. Night

Night Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD OR AC MagGrey
    Banks Monster Exhaust, aFe ProGuard 7, 3M Film, UnderCoating, alpine 920 headunit, alpine 6.5 components, 20% tint all around, JL Stealthbox, PDX-V9 Amp, Avid Lightbar, Avid Sliders, Full Metal JackRabbit Tonneau, TRD S/C
    The tranny is off a tundra with a 4.6L so just the engine really and accessories that you need to get it running.

8. Yamaha Dave

Yamaha Dave Well-Known Member

Member:
    Why do we get posts like this?

9. jbrenn

jbrenn Well-Known Member

Member:
    allen texas
    Vehicle:
    10 sr5
    Its already been done the 5.7 tundra engine will actually fit in the engine bay.
    http://www.topspeed.com/cars/toyota/2011-toyota-tacoma-x-runner-rtr-ar97724.html
    504 HP and 550 lb-ft of torque.

10. whippersnapper02

whippersnapper02 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Christian
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Vehicle:
    10 MGM TRD OR 4wd Auto DCSB
    Banks Monster Exhaust, Pop n Lock tailgate lock, Hook-Ups tie down brackets, USA Spec Ipod adaptor, WO seat covers, color matched grill with Grillcraft insert, Tuffy locking bed box
    I never really understood why either. Most OPs never end up doing anything because they don't have the means to. It is a cool idea but in the end you have a brick that can't turn and can only be fast when you find traction which is almost never.

11. Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    But just imagine how it'll look and sound totally Brodozered out hauling the 250 quads out to Glamis! Gonna need that power to get over the Banning Pass!

12. BMOC

BMOC Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paden
    Phoenix, AZ
    lol, this.

13. Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] ProEFI Pro128 EMS [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 170* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Aeromotive Stealth 340 LPH Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    The real questions need to be: what is your level of skill with something of this nature? Do you have plenty of tools incase something needs to be modified? If not, do you have a quality shop near you that can do the things necessary to make it fit?

Is this you DD, or do you have a second vehicle, since there will be a lot of down time?

I am pretty sure that the transmission is different for the 4.6 than the 4.0, but do you know for sure? You will need that ECU, and or a standalone to run it.

New drive shaft most likely as well. This is an extensive project. Need to be sure you are capable before you get knees deep.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2014
  14. SlimScotty

SlimScotty New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    03 tundra ( i used to have a taco )
    Brush guard , KC's , tires , skid plates , hitch winch , floods
    Why go though the trouble of putting a v8 4.7 in a newer taco when the 2000-2003 tundras are the same size and made for the engine ?

15. TurdTaco13

TurdTaco13 cuz my life is dope and I do dope shit

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Abq
    Vehicle:
    '13 TRD Sport 4x4
    6" BDS Lift, 18x9 XD Addicts, 35x12.5 Trail Grapplers, Aero Turbine 2525 muffler with turndown after the axle, AFE Stage 2 CAI
    1st post bumps a 2 and a half year old thread. Awesome. Welcome to TW! :rolleyes:

16. Fire252fighter

Fire252fighter Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Pittsburgh pa
    Vehicle:
    09 sr5 tacoma
    Westwood 6.1 inch nav head unit Jumper LEDs Headlights/fogs/corners/map &dome/third/reverse/plate lights Dipped emblems Jason cap
    Lol x2 had to look up to check but ya very first.

17. Eggbert

Eggbert Well-Known Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    '14 dcsb TRD OR Supercharged
    TRD Supercharger, MBRP DualCatback, DT Shortie Headers, Regeared with 4.56 ECGS 3rd and Clamshell, URD 2.55" Stealth pulley, AEM Methanol 5 gallon kit, URD Perf Thermostat, NST Lightweight crank pulley, URD 61lb injectors, Mishimoto Oil Catch Can, URD Fuel Pump upgrade, AEM Boost and Wideband gauges, OEM FPR Mod, RBP Black Exhaust Tips, Icon Stage 6, Fuel Octane wheels, Nitto Terra Grapplers 285/70/r17, Color match rear bumper, Color match hood with skewp, Color match grill, Color match valance, Derped grill emblem, Derped Tuffbar bullbar, OEM Skidplate, AVS Ventvisors, Bodyside Moldings, RBP RX3 nerf bars, Color Match Bushwacker Pocket Flares/Rivets, Undercover LE Tonneau, Katzkin heated leather, Bel Stir-Plus Radar, Sprint Booster, Dynamat/Hushpad, Polk dxi691 - front, Polk dx1651 - rear, Alpine KTP-445U Power Pack, Front tint 35 percent, Weathertech front mats, Smoked tail lights, LED DRLs, Coupe TRD Battery tie-down, Coupe TRD CAI Cover
    He's got a good point tho

18. Rock Lobster

Rock Lobster It wasn't a rock...

Member:
    First Name:
    Christian
    Orange County
    Vehicle:
    I don't want my Tacoma.
    Supercharger or fast car mod is much easier. :)

19. usptwins

usptwins Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Trey
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    Taco SR5 Stock stock stock
    Kyb shocks/struts, BFG 31x10.50's.
    First thing as to why he could possibly want to do it, because im pretty sure with the motor and trans included, it would prob cost around 5-8k. That most of the time isn't enough to buy another truck in "possibly" as good a shape as the one he already has, and not near enough to buy a "fast" car either. For another, I love my truck, but I would also like to do a 4.0-4.3 swap in mine when the 3.4 gives out too.

Its like, why do you mod your "fast" car? Why don't you just buy a faster one instead? Because its cheaper to mod than it is to buy better... "most of the time."

20. Burghlar

Burghlar Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Western Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    2009 OR 4x4
    5100 (x4), 884 coils, Wheeler's progressive AAL, Duratrac 265/75r16, TRD CAI, ImMrYo Mirror Bracket, Truxedo Tonneau
    5-8k for the motor and transmission. Add in wiring, ECU, suspension, possibly TC + front/rear diffs, labor... You can easily double or triple 5-8k. Not to mention you'll see zero monetary return on your investment.

To Top