1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

4 banger manual tranny fluid change ?

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by 08pretaco, Jan 18, 2010.

1. Jan 18, 2010 at 10:36 PM
    08pretaco

08pretaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    az
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra 4x4 CM 5.7L SR5
    @ADSracingshocks - F 3 point ohh / R 2.5 - w/clickers @camburgracing - uniball UCA @rigidindustries - 40" amber/white split, Dually XL, D2 @coopertires - 35/12.5/17 STT MAXX @bayareametalfab - low pro bed rack @toyotausa - 17" rock warrior @sdhqoffroad - rock sliders, a-pillar @hondogarage / @apple / @gaiagps / @dualgps- navigation @wheelersoffroadinc - superbumps
    so reading into it a little bit i saw that it says 3 quarts when you drain the fluid from the tranny underneath the truck. i read somewhere else that a full flush was what like 10-12 quarts??

so my questions is when i get under the truck and pull the drain plug on the tranny is 3 or 12 quarts gonna come out? then the other question is if there is 12 quarts floating around somewhere in there where is it?

thanks in advance

oh and the 4 banger plugs are good for 100k right? so no need to mess with them

oh and do i really need to go bother the dealer to order me 2 new crush washers?

haha also got a steering wheel vib around 60-65 mph and got the wheels aligned and still got the vib. started happening after alignment. any idea on what it could be?

sorry for the mass post with so many random questions ahah

2. Jan 18, 2010 at 10:52 PM
    TRDsport2010

TRDsport2010 Grease Monkey

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Houston, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2010 Silver TRD Sport
    you should only get about 2.7 qts out of it. Then just add 2.7 qts to refill.Im not sure about a whole 12 qts total but the rest of your transmission oil is in the converter for the most part.

3. Jan 18, 2010 at 10:53 PM
    08pretaco

Member:
    az
    Vehicle:
    @ADSracingshocks - F 3 point ohh / R 2.5 - w/clickers @camburgracing - uniball UCA @rigidindustries - 40" amber/white split, Dually XL, D2 @coopertires - 35/12.5/17 STT MAXX @bayareametalfab - low pro bed rack @toyotausa - 17" rock warrior @sdhqoffroad - rock sliders, a-pillar @hondogarage / @apple / @gaiagps / @dualgps- navigation @wheelersoffroadinc - superbumps
    cool thanks! i was just kinda curious where the other fluid wold be if it didnt come out.

4. Jan 18, 2010 at 10:55 PM
    TRDsport2010

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Houston, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2010 Silver TRD Sport
    No problem. Yeah that converter will hold quite a bit of oil in it.

5. Jan 18, 2010 at 10:56 PM
    08pretaco

Member:
    az
    Vehicle:
    got any advice on the other stuff? lol

6. Jan 18, 2010 at 11:04 PM
    TRDsport2010

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Houston, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2010 Silver TRD Sport
    Oh yeah sorry I didnt see all that lol.

You don't need to worry about your drain plug, They will last forever. If installed right and not over tightened it will last longer than the truck will. you will be ok by reusing the gasket if it is not twisted up too bad. normally you can use them a few times.

The vibration : Check your tires for chopping in the front. Normally an alignment wont cause the vibration directly, Having it out of alignment can chop your tires over time which will cause the vibration. The best thing to do is rotate your tires from front to rear ( if the rear tires are smoother worn) That is always the easiest test.

OH and they are probably talking about "flushing" your transmission takes 13 qts. Flushing any transmission is a huge no no. If you have someone flush the transmission you can normally kiss your transmission goodbye cause it only sturs up all the dirt in your tranny and will clog everything up. Ive seen it way to many times.

7. Jan 18, 2010 at 11:06 PM
    08pretaco

Member:
    az
    Vehicle:
    ya i got the wheels re balanced and rotated and still got the steering wheel vib

and my bad about the plugs, i was referring to the spark plugs, kinda in the process of a 30k maintenance

8. Jan 18, 2010 at 11:08 PM
    TRDsport2010

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Houston, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2010 Silver TRD Sport
    OH sorry im half asleep over here. Yes toyota is smart and uses great factory plugs. They are good for 100k.

Hmm with the steering vib. Im not sure. Unless they didnt balance them right. Maybe try to take it back and have them recheck them. or maybe they rotated the worse tires to the front.

Dont forget about a fuel filter every 30k if you haven't already done it

9. Jan 18, 2010 at 11:22 PM
    08pretaco

Member:
    az
    Vehicle:
    Damn no I didn't even think about the fuel filter, did know it had to be done :( is it easy to access?

It might be that I just need to retorque the suspension. Recently upgraded it retightned it once already but have gone wheeling a few times so ill check into that also.

So a 30k I am doing oil new filter, tranny oil, clean my afe, already did rear diff fluid, cabin filter, retorque driveshaft bolts, and then a new fuel filter? Not excited about the last one haha

Thanks for the help, gotta do a search on fuel filter replacing now...maybe tomorrow during classes kinda tired

10. Jan 18, 2010 at 11:25 PM
    TRDsport2010

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Houston, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2010 Silver TRD Sport
    Yeah the fuel is good to do every 30k but its not hard at all. Its located on the drivers side frame rail about mid way. best to do it after the truck has sat for a few hours without starting so the pressure is not built up.

Your welcome

11. Jan 19, 2010 at 7:49 AM
    afd23a

afd23a Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Dynamo of Dixie
    Vehicle:
    05 Access Cab 5 Lugger
    Factory Fog Lights, Removed Secondary Air Filter, Metra Ipod Adapter, Int Wiper Stalk, Wet Okole's, URD Short Shifter, Scanguage II w/Blendmount, Fat Bob's 2.75" spacer lift, ARE topper, SP Performance Pads & Slotted Rotors, 4.10 gears
    I think the fuel filter is located in the fuel tank with the fuel pump. At least I haven't seen it mounted on my frame, but maybe I missed it. You can get a fuel pump kit from URD that includes an externally mounted fuel filter because of this.

Assuming you have a manual tranny, you don't really do a flush with those since there's no torque converter or oil cooler. It's just a drain and fill, kind of like the rear diff. Make sure you loosen the fill plug FIRST and then the drain plug. Clean off the drain plug and refill until fluid is just below the fill hole. It should take between 2 and 3 quarts to refill the tranny.

Here's a good write up by DanGer for the 30k maintenance.

12. Jan 19, 2010 at 2:27 PM
    91r100gs

91r100gs Understand the Voice Within

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Kansas City area
    Vehicle:
    '08 Impluse Red SR5 I-4
    Factory bed mat, TacomaWorld.com sticker, EGR In-Channel Vent Visors, AFE ProDryS drop in air filter
    I don't think a manual transmission has a converter. I'll bet the whole tranny holds only a little bit more than comes out. But, I may be mistaken.

13. Jan 19, 2010 at 2:39 PM
    NAAC3TACO

NAAC3TACO Middle aged member

Member:
    Just east of crazy, NV
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 DCLB 4x4
    Color matched door handles, Weathertech floor liners, bed mat, Durafit seat covers, tailgate clamp, 2016 TRD Sport 17" wheels with Yokohama Geolander AT tires , Toyota exhaust tip, Toyota/Yakima bike rail mount, Toyota wheel locks, Toyota hitch cover, Redline hood struts, unifilter on air pump.
    You are not mistaken. Only automatics have torque converters.

Products Discussed in

To Top