1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

4 Bangin, Fuel Sippin, Full Tank Challenge!

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by 2TRunner, Aug 29, 2011.

1. iroh

iroh Well-Known Member

Member:
    michigander
    Vehicle:
    07 AC SR5 2.7 5MT 4x4
    tonneau
    My first tank over $60! On this truck anyways. Dumb $4.29 gas. 353.2 mi, 14.13 gal, 25.0 mpg. Needle was just about to touch 1/4 tank.

I can take that but I'm not gonna be seeing much in the 26-27 range until I quit this

[​IMG]

2. Rackster

Rackster Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    '04 E/cab 4x4 2.7 Auto SR5
    It's interesting that your numbers/gauge positions are very similar to what I'm seeing. Validation.

3. sandstock

sandstock Member

Member:
    Morehead, Ky
    Vehicle:
    2012 4x4 5-speed 4cyl Tacoma
    Finally hit my first 25MPG tank at just shy of 440 miles...:)

[​IMG]

4. Mr. Pick

Mr. Pick Well-Known Member

Member:
    Middle TN
    Vehicle:
    '12 AC, SR5, 2.7L, Auto
    341.5 mi, 12.418 gal = 27.5 mpg. More sight seeing on back roads, with a little interstate thrown in this time...ran a/c about a third of the time...I love this truck! :)

PS, Like many others here, I'm using the "let the pump shut off and then ease another full gallon in it" method of filling up.

5. Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    I don't know how you guys are doing that.

I go first click, then "ease" two more clicks and I never get more than a couple of 10ths... no way in hell I'd get another gallon in, unless your pumps are super-high-speed like the truck stop Diesel pumps and it's splashing up the neck on you.

6. 91r100gs

91r100gs Understand the Voice Within

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Kansas City area
    Vehicle:
    '08 Impluse Red SR5 I-4
    Factory bed mat, TacomaWorld.com sticker, EGR In-Channel Vent Visors, AFE ProDryS drop in air filter
    Rich,

When I fill up the pump is on the medium setting until the last few gallon are about to go in, then I set the handle on the slowest speed. After the first click, I let it sit for a count of five each time until it wont take any more than a few cents worth. I can usually get about 3/4 of a gallon more in, after 4 more clicks.

7. Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    I wouldn't go more than 2 more clicks.
    You aren't gaining a significant amount (literally 10 miles), and the risk to your evap system is high.

I even get nervous going 2 clicks.
    I've been with people who have flooded the evap on motorcycles.
    They cough and run horribly until it clears out... but on your Tacoma, it's more of a closed system and won't clear out on it's own. You'll get a CEL and need a new canister.

8. worthywads

worthywads Well-Known Member

Member:
    Peoples Republic of Boulder
    Vehicle:
    05 5-lug access I4 Stick, 70 Challenger Vert
    I ruined a canister on my 1988 Ram-50 in the early 90s and gave up the bad habit of topping up to the neck. Not worth it.

9. Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Ya... last time I filled to where I could see it in the neck was on my Duramax.

No evap system, so no problem...

But with a 55 gallon Titan Supertank, it really was kinda silly.

10. 91r100gs

91r100gs Understand the Voice Within

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Kansas City area
    Vehicle:
    '08 Impluse Red SR5 I-4
    Factory bed mat, TacomaWorld.com sticker, EGR In-Channel Vent Visors, AFE ProDryS drop in air filter
    Relax guys, I never fill till I see fuel in the neck. The station I go to 95% of the time is on level ground and has a really sensitive shut off sensors. Just don't like going to the gas station, so I fill'er up.

11. Mr. Pick

Mr. Pick Well-Known Member

Member:
    Middle TN
    Vehicle:
    '12 AC, SR5, 2.7L, Auto
    Same here.

12. MikeCB600F

MikeCB600F Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Plainfield, IL.
    Vehicle:
    2012 Reg Cab 2.7L 4x4
    Extang Trifecta Tonneau cover
    Did this on my way home from Bloomington IL. today. I filled up in Bloomington because the price was on average 45 cents a gallon cheeper. Drove I-55 all the way home staying around 65 mph and 2000 rpms. At one point the ultra guage indicated 29MPG before I exit the interstate and was caught at several lights.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 9, 2013
  13. worthywads

Member:
    Vehicle:
  14. Rackster

Rackster Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    '04 E/cab 4x4 2.7 Auto SR5
    Nice stretch Mike!! Those darned traffic lights can tarnish a fine run but it beats getting broadsided.

I'm with Rich - be careful not to mess up the evap system. It usually gets expensive chasing codes and if the canister goes on our trucks, expect a $300 bill. For a couple dollars' worth of fuel and 10 mile extended range, probably not worth the risk.

I've seen that various stations and angle at fueling can differ about a half gallon or so, but over a tank, the run rate isn't affected much. Normal variation so over the whole of your tracking your truck's FE, not noticeable.

Good luck on your FE challenges!

15. MikeCB600F

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Plainfield, IL.
    Vehicle:
    2012 Reg Cab 2.7L 4x4
    I wish I had a 5 speed. The ultra guage and odo were only off a tenth of a mile. Now I get to watch the MPG drop over the next 200 miles:(

16. worthywads

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Down to a 1/4 tank. Picked up a nice 60 mile round trip for work that averaged 37.4 mpg. 500.4 and it was just a hair over 1/4. Wow my cheapo phone camera really makes that dash look much dirtier than it is?

[​IMG]

17. worthywads

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Had to post this trip since I have never had a trip as good as this before to and from Denver. 30 mile one way down to Whisler Bearing to get some bearings for a gearbox on the bottling line. On the way down 37.0 mpg. On the way back 46.2 mpg. Average 41.7 mpg. Stacks of empty kegs about to be filled with Avery IPA in the background. Lot's of construction so 55 or less and just the right amount of congestion so that I had the engine off a lot more than a typical Denver drive.

[​IMG]

18. Stickit

Stickit Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lance
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma 2.4L Manual 2x
    75K miles, 2" fabtech lift, 225 75 R16 AT Tires, deck plate intake, future exhaust for mpg, anything to get me to 25mpg
    I am not too sure what kind of modifications you guys have all made, if any, but I NEVER get any gas mileage EVEN CLOSE to what you are getting. Truck is waxed, tires are at 40 p.s.i., did the "cold air intake" with the deck plate mod, synthetic oil, 2" lift, 4x2, 2.4 L, 5 speed, manual trans, 2003 Tacoma. I coast ALL the time pulling her out of gear, down hills, to red lights, stop signs, on the freeway down hill, etc., etc.. I average 65 on the freeway and 40 in the city on the road.

The BEST tank I have had, even taking into consideration the larger tires, divide mileage by 0.92, is 24.1 mpg. I average 18 in the winter and the numbers are tracking to 21 based on summer temperatures.

I do not wind out the engine, second toyota I have owned. In third gear by 25, typically shift at 2000 rpm.

WHAT THE HELL?

27 mpg, I am almost inclined to say BS, but I know others are seeing it. I still have not reached 300 miles for a tank of gas. My light comes on at roughly 11.5 gallons.

I am at the fu*#ing gas station every 240 miles, 11 - 12 gallons of gas please.

By the way, without the correction for the tires, if I only do my calculations with the odo, I get 16.9 - 19 mpg. I know that the odo is off based on the circumference of the tire and the speedo, by 0.92... so when I am driving 63 by speedo, it is actually 70. The tires are not big either, I can get the size if needed, but the correction accounts for tire size for sure.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2013
  19. Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Keep in mind that the 2nd Gen has a 21 gallon tank, so when you see 400 and 500 miles per tank, we are running around 4 gallons more than you are.

Also, those running in excess of 26/28 are generally "hypermileing" which involves more extreme methods, very useful on a manual transmission, such as shutting the engine off when rolling down hill. Don't try it with an automatic, you'll kill it.

20. MikeCB600F

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Plainfield, IL.
    Vehicle:
    2012 Reg Cab 2.7L 4x4
    Do you still have the factory gear ratio? Usually the speedo will indicate higher than actual speed.

The only mod I did was a tonneau cover, but I am not sure if it does help the aerodynamics to improve MPG. I did a 100 mile trip last weekend and had an indicated 28.8 MPG. Since then, my Ultra Guage is down to 25.7 MPG.

To Top