1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

4 cyl V.S. 6 cyl

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by concrete jedi, Jan 26, 2010.

1. Feb 4, 2010 at 4:04 PM
    sweater914

sweater914 Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Dakota
    Vehicle:
    '09 I4 5spd Access Cab Timberland Mica SR5
    Went from a full size F150 with the 4.6L V8 auto 4x4 to the 4 banger 5spd 2wd. I'm happy, the truck does everything I need it to do. Light towing roughly 2000lbs in the summer months, getting between 20-22 mpg. Having the 5spd makes all the difference. The V8 was lazy never more than 2500rpm except when flooring the gas pedal. The Taco 4 banger is much the same way, not much more than 2500-3000rpm in town at a leisurely pace, 5 gear is really a highway gear, you have to running about 45mph before using 5th (non-PreRunner). My wife and I gave up a little space downsizing but I'm loving the gas mileage, and my wife has been creative with her packaging going to camp. We utilize the whole bed and store more in the pop-up camper.

There's only a couple a reasons for going with the V6 vs I4. This a need vs want arguement. If you tow every couple of weeks year round the V6 is probably the better bet. The mileage is definitely in the I4's favor so long as you're comparing 2wd models, comparing 4x4 models the margins are smaller. The I4 must be a 5spd manual, rowing your own gears fully utilizing the engine vs the 4sp auto slush box. If you have to have an auto get the V6, most 4 bangers are gutless with auto transmissions. If you WANT to drag from stop light to stop light the V6 is a must, you will be let down by the 4 banger. If you actually USE a 4x4 more than twice a year in extreme situations the extra power of the V6 will be useful (light rain, 6in of snow, groomed gravel roads don't count as extreme).

The Tacoma comes in many variations, pick the one that best fits your NEEDS anything more a waste. Now I completely understand the WANT, a V6 4x4 access cab 5spd, alas I think of the pain at the gas pump, the extra maintenance of driving the extra 2 wheels and higher insurance costs. I have other hobbies to fund.

2. Feb 4, 2010 at 4:49 PM
    supralight

supralight Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Earth
    Vehicle:
    2013 4Runner limited
    For the poster above, in quebec we get lots of snow, and the i4 4x4 does the job quite well even in the biggest of snowstorms we can get. Beside towing, more performances and an auto trans, I don't see why would anyone buy the V6. The wire mod also adds lots of off-road and snow capability, thanks to Isthatahemi again.

3. Feb 4, 2010 at 5:56 PM
    sweater914

sweater914 Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Dakota
    Vehicle:
    '09 I4 5spd Access Cab Timberland Mica SR5
    The I4 4x4 works as advertised, and does an excellent job, my dad owned an '86 4Runner I4 4x4 and a I4 4x4 Land Cruiser in Europe. Extreme would be "mud-running", un-improved road more than 50% of the time, and towing in excess of 3000lbs regularly. If fact there's a I4, 4x4, access can in the dealer's lot right now, I lusted if only for a few minutes.

4. Feb 8, 2010 at 8:17 AM
    sourdough

sourdough Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    reg. cab prerunner
    I do a lot of hiway speed driving. I would not buy another Tacoma with the 2.7 motor. It won't hold O.D. on even the smallest of grades. Cycling in/out of O.D. is very annoying. It has good power if you keep it above 3G RPM but then it gets the V6 MPG range

5. Feb 8, 2010 at 4:59 PM
    Raven65

Raven65 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Camden, SC
    Vehicle:
    '09 Magnetic Gray Reg Cab 5-Lug
    Curt hitch, D-rings, bed mat
    I think that's due to the lousy programming of the electronically controlled transmission... not any lack of power. Our 2.4L Camry with the 5-speed automatic does the same thing - and it IS annoying as hell. I've found that it's much worse when the cruise control is set. The engine has more than enough power to pull the grade, but the transmission slams down a gear (or two!) for no good reason. Then back up... and back down... back & forth. I've even complained about it to the service dept. and they say "Yeah, we get that a lot." - but so far there's no software update for it.

My Taco is a 2.7L 5-lugger with a 5-speed manual transmission (with the 3.31 rear-end no less) and I have NO PROBLEM at all pulling some pretty serious hills in 5th gear at 60 MPH and up. PLENTY of power. The only time I have to downshift on a hill is when towing my 17' (roughly 2000-lb) boat. If you have a 4x4 with the 4.10 rear end, it'll pull even easier!

Bottom line... it's NOT the engine.

6. Feb 9, 2010 at 6:50 PM
    Isthatahemi

Isthatahemi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD OFF ROAD
    BFG AT's, Weathertechs, Hoppy's brake controller.
    I respect the above statement, but find it surprising....
    Having owned both, if it is downshifting on the highway, the V6 would likely be at least unlocking the torque converter, getting much worse mileage. I found that my I4 4X4 had roughly the same top gear power as my V6 does. Once the 6 kicxks down though, it is in another league. But rest assured, the 4 gets better mileage regardless of the circumstance.
    These trucks are more prone to kicking down a gear with the cruise on as well.

7. Feb 10, 2010 at 3:28 AM
    supralight

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Earth
    Vehicle:
    2013 4Runner limited
    Isthatahemi, are you saying that, even at higher hwy speed, like 70-75 mph or more, the I4 still gets better economy? I really though it was not the case when looking at my scangauge at those speed, and reading the V6 testimonies here.

8. Feb 10, 2010 at 3:44 AM
    tacoma man

tacoma man Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rochester NY
    Vehicle:
    2018 Limited 4wd Magnetic Gray
    Well said. I can totally relate! Every once in a while I get a terrible itch to go for want instead of need. V6's are awesome styled trucks. Damn I need to be grateful for what I have! Thanks.

9. Feb 10, 2010 at 9:46 PM
    Raven65

Member:
    Camden, SC
    Vehicle:
    My 2.7L 5-speed manual 5-lugger gets 25-26 MPG at those speeds (and I've seen 28 a couple of times when running 55-60 on 2-lane highways). I seriously doubt the V6 is capable of that.

10. Feb 11, 2010 at 5:24 PM
    Isthatahemi

Isthatahemi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD OFF ROAD
    BFG AT's, Weathertechs, Hoppy's brake controller.
    I have not yet found a circumstance where my V6 gets within 2mpg of what my 4 cyl got. Ever, at any speed, load or condition. Some may get better mileage than me, but comparing apples to apples, the actual mileage achieved by me, is not even close. I am a somewhat aggressive driver, as such, I used to drive the 4 cyl fairly hard, whereas I drive the 6 a little easier, entirely because with the 6, the potential for truly horrible mileage is there. (when driven hard)
    I drive at 70 mph most of the time, as does my wife. At that speed, I consume about 2 litres per hundred kilometers more with the V6. (approx 3- 4 mpg) I will post more info after more towing, as I don't want to mislead anyone. But again, my experience thus far, is that the 4 cyl tows WAY more efficiently. This is all backed up by scangauge data.

11. Feb 11, 2010 at 8:57 PM
    96 tacomaPtown

96 tacomaPtown Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    96 ext cab 4x4 taco
    3 inch spacer lift,pro comp addaleaf, 1 inch diff drop kyb shock/struts, Lc engineering header, stock muffler, hollowed cat, 2 1/4 exhaust, o2simulator , 31 10.50 15 wranglers on stock. Hella 500 headlamps, bug gaurd, vent visors, bed caps, bed liner, Volant cai intake.
    I would have to say i like the power of the 6 for freeway but its a 4x4 wind it up and the 4 goes like a scalded dog.. just hollow the cat on the I4 put a flow and 2 and a quarter exhaust a LCENGineering long tube header, not the cheap stuff and you will have plenty more umph to get by and get decent mileage. I head a cheap one they crack no fun trying to find leak for 6 months hacking and wrapping. where im from cats dont matter ;)

12. Feb 13, 2010 at 11:44 AM
    supralight

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Earth
    Vehicle:
    2013 4Runner limited
    Well, that is pretty good to know. Reading through this forum, I was really wondering what was the point of getting the 4 cyl while the six seemed to get better mileage at high speed hwy driving. I guess that, since air temperature has a big effect on mileage, my position in the north disadvantage my fuel economy compared to mostly americans in here.

13. Feb 13, 2010 at 11:51 AM
    steve o 77

steve o 77 braaap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    In a corn field, OH
    Vehicle:
    1990 Chevy Siveraydo
    245k+ miles, rust, working AC, bald eagles
    I went from a 4cyl GMC sonoma to my 3.4. I only took one highway trip in the sonoma but it did very good even though I had to keep the speed around 65 or it would overheat:confused:. I used to get close to 30 mpg with that thing being a base model 2wd with doughnut tires lol. I honestly wouldn't mind my truck being a 4 cyl...

14. Feb 13, 2010 at 2:20 PM
    Raven65

Member:
    Camden, SC
    Vehicle:
    How did you come to that conclusion? The 4-cyl is going to get better fuel mileage than the 6-cyl in every situation - except maybe when towing a real heavy load. Like 4000 lbs or more.

15. Feb 13, 2010 at 3:31 PM
    4cyl4x4

4cyl4x4 Active Member

Member:
    East
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4x4
    I had my 2.7l for 2+ years, never had a complain, I get 21 to 23 mpg (never saw 25 as some guys claim). I don't rock climb (maybe one day) but I do off road and beach drive when fishing. This snow dump is no problem, can't think of a time I ever wished for more hp. I think it boils down to the driver, are you a finesse or brute force type, both get the job done. With the 4Lo I've gone up steep hills that, when at the top, I regret. When on the highway and a hill slows me a bit, I down shift, thats what finesse guys do. Maybe a turbo will add more hp in the future but for now she is doing good. :)

16. Feb 13, 2010 at 8:53 PM
    RBaptist

RBaptist Well-Known Member

Member:
    Newnan, Ga
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Sport - Magnetic Grey
    I have a 2007 Access Cab Prerunner with the Shock Upgrade (so my truck sits like the 6cyl TRD). I get routinely 22-23MPG (have seen higher when driving slow. No problems whatsoever with the truck. The engine can handle a ski boat, so for most people..you should be good to go. Get the 5 speed though (like someone said in an earlier post). Being able to lock it in a gear to pull up a hill makes all the difference. I don't think I would like this truck/engine combo in an automatic if I was pulling something. If you live in the mountains...get a V6. You do have to buy your truck based on what you are going to use it for. I drive 90 miles roundtrip to/from work (so gas mileage was important) and I occasionally pull a boat or haul stuff (like bags of concrete, dirt, wood) in the bed. I don't go boggin' in the truck and I am not pulling a 5th wheel...and I don't live at 8,000 ft in the Rockies. For me, this truck is perfect!!

Get what you need. For most people the 2.7 will work fine and help keep some extra $$$ in your pocket.

17. Feb 14, 2010 at 8:27 PM
    Raven65

Member:
    Camden, SC
    Vehicle:
    I check my fuel mileage at every single fill-up and I've got close to 20K miles on the truck now. Like I've said before, I routinely get between 25 and 26 MPG when driving "normally" on my 100-mile round-trip daily commute - and I have seen 28 MPG several times when driving very carefully (very easy starts, shifting around 2K RPMs and keeping the speed down around 60). That's not just a claim... that's a fact. Keep in mind that my truck is THE most fuel-efficient version you can possibly buy: a regular cab 2wd 2.7L 5-speed manual. It's the lightest, lowest one they build.

I really think the tall 3.31 rear gear that the 2.7L 2WDs (5-luggers) have is the main reason they get better fuel mileage than the 2.7L 4x4's. The skinny tires and shorter ride height probably help too. The 4x4 has the 4.10 rear gear (wider tires and higher ride height), so it's turning higher RPMs at any given speed than the 5-lugger. That's why they're EPA rated at 17/22 city/hwy instead of my truck's 20/26.

18. Feb 15, 2010 at 6:46 AM
    06dak

06dak Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central Ohio
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5 4cyl
    Undercover hard tonneau, Husky front liners
    Except, of course, the 6-lug PreRunner - which still has the 4.10 rear end of the 4x4 but ends up with the 5-lug rating of 20/26.

I'd like to know how Toyota got away with that one. Oh, I know, I should sue for false advertising! :rolleyes:

19. Feb 16, 2010 at 2:07 PM
    96 tacomaPtown

96 tacomaPtown Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    96 ext cab 4x4 taco
    3 inch spacer lift,pro comp addaleaf, 1 inch diff drop kyb shock/struts, Lc engineering header, stock muffler, hollowed cat, 2 1/4 exhaust, o2simulator , 31 10.50 15 wranglers on stock. Hella 500 headlamps, bug gaurd, vent visors, bed caps, bed liner, Volant cai intake.
    If there is a 3rd gen taco it will be hard to make even more badass looking. will there be a V8 hmmm.

20. Feb 16, 2010 at 2:38 PM
    Vectorit

Vectorit Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    TRD SR5
    King coil overs, Total Chaos uppers, Snugtop
    I had a 4 cyl for many years as a 4x4, std cab, 5spd, with 32" tall tires. I really liked it, but to get the best bang out of the smaller engines is to be aware of the RPM and quick on the shifts.
    Now with my 02 v6, 4x4, 5spd I don't have to be a shift jockey as much. Plus I don't always have to be so aggressive in the gas pedal mashing, which of course conserves fuel in the long run.
    With my 4 cyl truck, I would always dread having to pull a trailer with it. Since you and it just had to work harder to keep it at speed, or to climb a long mountain grade.
    The 6 cyl truck pulling trailers for me now is a non issue. Throw it in 4th gear and leave it, shift to 3rd for a short burst to pull a hill then back into 4th with out running up to red line.

I like the 4 bangers a lot, but the 6's are just more relaxing for me to drive.

Products Discussed in

To Top