1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

4 cylinder power

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by Big Bear dude, Mar 17, 2013.

1. Mar 19, 2013 at 8:39 PM
    BuzzardsGottaEat

BuzzardsGottaEat "Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."

Member:
    First Name:
    Chaz
    Nebraska/South Dakota
    Vehicle:
    93 Pickup 4x4 [22R-E] 5MT
    OME suspension, LCE Performance parts, Konigs, etc. [see build]
    Precisely, test drive both. I was set on a single cab second gen, until I drove a couple. I wasn't personally pleased. Then I found an old 93 Pickup, and while it had less horsepower its also lighter and much peppier and fun to drive. It's all on you and your taste, no one else's.

2. Mar 20, 2013 at 12:05 AM
    MountainEarth

MountainEarth Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR Access
    Leer 100XR Shell, BedRug mat - comfy sleeping, GT Covers microfiber seat covers, BFG All Terrains 265/70r16, Dashmat, Antennax 13" shorty antenna, Weathertech liners, Ultra Gauge, Avid Light Bar, PIAA 520 ATPs, one old dog
    I say hell no especially if you want an access cab. Granted I live way up there - 8650 feet - but I test drove one and it was gutless. Had to drop it into 3rd to keep 50mph going up the canyon at 7000 feet on a 6-8% grade. Notice that some of the people telling you it'll be fine have 97 and 99 Tacos. But the 2nd gen is a bigger truck. Regular cab might be fine as it's (I believe) 500 lbs lighter than the access cab. Like others said, take both for a test drive on some hills if you can.

3. Mar 31, 2013 at 9:55 PM
    Cars0n`

Cars0n` Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Carson
    Edmonton AB
    Vehicle:
    07 2wd access cab base.
    Kenwood DDX-512 Deck, Boston Acoustics G5 Sub in Ported Bassworx Box, Kenwood eXcelon KAC-X10D Amp, Sirius Satellite Radio, Magellan GPS, DDM 55w bi-xenon headlights, 2 HID Hella 500ff's mounted behind grill, 4 pc ebay Billet grill, Fog Lights (my truck didnt have them stock), Pioneer Speakers 6x9's(front) 6.5's(rear) AFE Cold Air Intake, Hose Clamp Mod, Tailgate Strengthen Mod, Removed Gay Mud Flaps, De-Badged, BHLM, 245/45/20 on velocity wheels. VW865a, Extra D Rings In Box, OEM Cruise Added Optima Red Top Battery
    with the relatively small upsize in tires, my 4cyl auto is garbage. 235/75 rather then 215/70 from factory

hate how when in cruise control even on flat highways it cant accelerate without shifting. anyyyyy incline and its hunting for gears, not the most impressive mileage for a 4 cyl either. its possible to keep the rpm somewhat stable if your not using cruise but your always right in the point just before it shifts, leaning into it like that cant be good for economy. i cant deal with the slow lane so im a little heavy into the pedal anyways, but even still it shouldnt preform like it does. for the love of christ do not get the auto 4 speed trans.

ps im at ~2400 ft

To Top