1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

4 Cylinder versus V6

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by surfponto, Oct 16, 2006.

1. Jan 12, 2012 at 6:39 PM
    shackley

shackley Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Albuquerque, New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Pro MT Super White
    RCI rock sliders, Goodyear Ultraterrains 265/70/R16, BAK X2 tonneau
    I had a 4 cyl. 4X4 Tacoma SR5 2009, and in 51,000 miles and I never got over 21 mpg. 27 sounds a little high to me. Maybe you're blowing on the windshield. I got between 19 and 21 typically, but I drive 80 on the freeway. It's one of the reasons I got a 2012 V-6 TRD. I like the TRD equipment, and I'm getting 18-19 with only 1300 miles on it. Are you sure about that 27 mpg?

2. Jan 12, 2012 at 10:58 PM
    ldywlf

ldywlf Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tamara
    Jackson, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4ci 5 speed
    Thank you!! It hasn't been easy, but we must make sacrifices in order to continue the freedom we all enjoy in this great country right? :0)

Congrats on your grandchildren as well. I'll bet you've become quite adept and spoiling them rotten and sending them home. Hehe ;) I know that we're certainly looking forward to it! Can't wait for our granddaughter to make her entrance. She's due on the April 4th. Lets just hope she don't "fool" all of us and come on the 1st. :eek: We're hoping she does wait for her daddy to get back home! :D

Yep. I think that's what I'm going to do. I'm not so sure I could talk my husband into a Rav 4, but I might get him into a nice Sedan. ;)

3. Jan 12, 2012 at 11:04 PM
    ldywlf

ldywlf Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tamara
    Jackson, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4ci 5 speed
    Not sure if your question is aimed at me or not, but I average around 26. But that's not doing 80 on the freeway. I also have a manual transmission, so not sure if that makes a difference in the mpg or not? Of course tire pressure has much to do with it as well. Lots of those little things add up. I live up in the foothills, so not too much freeway driving.

4. Jan 13, 2012 at 12:53 AM
    MQQSE

MQQSE Bannable Galloot

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob III
    Palmer, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    "Stitch" Still Stock Concept Truck
    Shtuff
    Curious what weight oil you're running? I average 23MPG in Summer and 20-21MPG in Winter (on Winter Tires "Blizzaks"). I'm running 5W-20 synthetic. The attached thread has convinced me to switch to 0W-20 at my next oil change.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/4-cylinder/195967-anyone-else-running-0w-20-their-2-7-a.html

Pleasure communicating with you. Let us know when your granddaughter arrives. Really hope your son makes it back in time. Managed to be there for both of ours. One was during a remote tour...got back 4 days before he arrived; then two weeks later back out to finish the last 5 months of a 1 year tour in Turkey.
    :oldglory:

5. Jan 14, 2012 at 11:18 AM
    ldywlf

ldywlf Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tamara
    Jackson, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4ci 5 speed
    lol I'll have to ask my husband those questions and get back to you...he's "in charge" of all the vehicle maintenance. ;0)

We hope so too! It's going to be a close one. Lets just hope our lil Ariya (sounds like "Uh rye' uh") (that's the baby's name) cooperates with the military hehe :D Sounds like you have a wonderful family and thank you again for your service. May I ask what it is you do now that you're out?

6. Jan 14, 2012 at 2:40 PM
    MQQSE

MQQSE Bannable Galloot

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob III
    Palmer, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    "Stitch" Still Stock Concept Truck
    Shtuff
    1st four years active duty I was aircraft avionics maintenance. Then I retrained into Command and Control (like Emergency/Crisis Management) and did that for the remaining 22 years. Spent total of 13 years assigned to Air Mobility Command En Route Squadrons (RAF Mildenhall UK & Elmendorf AFB, AK). In the en routes I was basically a Mission/Aircrew Manager. All that En Route working and managing Air Transportation type issues, gave me enough knowledge and experience (plus a good network ;)) to qualify for a civil service position as a Load Planner. I like to tell people I spent 13 years fightin' with 'em (Air Transportation guys) telling them what to do ... couldn't beat 'em so I decided to join them. Damn, long answer to a short question :eek:, I tend to ramble on, I'll stop now. Or as my son tells me "Dad you never stop, you just take breaks. :D"

I'm a Load Planner now ... officially titled Lead Cargo Scheduler.

7. Nov 19, 2013 at 2:42 PM
    SCRRT21

SCRRT21 New Member

Member:
    So you can pull a boat or trailer with say a mower on it with the 4 cylinder...in May/June I'm buying a '14 buy unsure to go with a I4 or V6

Products Discussed in

To Top