1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

4 wheel'n to spot for shoot'n

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by hexnutter, Jul 29, 2021.

1. Jul 29, 2021 at 6:27 PM
    hexnutter

hexnutter [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    doug
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    Fishing was one of the reasons I got my tacoma, camping the biggest. But now I realize I can drive somewhere remote and target practice. I'm just wondering what would happen. I also dont want to scare anyone.

Gunshot-6A likes this.
  2. Jul 29, 2021 at 6:33 PM
    Jojee117

Jojee117 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    MT
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Sport Prerunner 4WD swapped
    Depends where you live, but typically you can find spots on blm and forest service land. I beleive the rule of thumb is to shoot atleast 150 yards away from ANYTHING. Developed camp sites, trails, private property, etc. And also, apply common sense such as having a berm, dont shoot trees and brush,dont shoot across roads, pick up targets and shells, etc. The biggest problem I've ran into is trying to find a place with a berm 150 yards from any other trails. Typically blm and fs land is so packed with trails it hard to find spots that dont back up to another trail.

Gunshot-6A likes this.
  3. Jul 29, 2021 at 6:49 PM
    Gutentight

Gutentight Well-Known Member

Member:
    IL
    Vehicle:
    2021 Cement Off-Road 4x4 DCSB 3.5L AT
    Well that is a rather vague idea.
    Where ya wheeling? Unless you have access to private property (in which case do whatever is agreeable with the landowner), then it’s probably some state or national forest. Likely an off-highway vehicle use trail. Look up the rules for the places you are. Always don’t make a mess.

The hard part really is that there are so many people out everywhere, remote is not always as far from people as you might think. Know what is well beyond your target. Also hard to find a good backstop after ticking all the other boxes above. You must know where those bullets stop.

Gunshot-6A and Jojee117 like this.
  4. Jul 30, 2021 at 7:18 AM
    hexnutter

Member:
    First Name:
    doug
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    Oh Im in Vermont theres no one really where Id be going near people. BLM is a good idea, Im pretty sure most of where Id be going is state land, abandon mines, power lines, sand pits etc. I would just take a piece of plywood and target and drill it to a tree at the base of a little hill. I see shells every where I go. Its a 45 so yea I can go through some stuff. I definitely would take out what I brought in. I dont like ranges and shooting with others (that I dont know). I'v gotta get some time in shoot'n my reactionary response sucks.

5. Jul 30, 2021 at 10:09 AM
    Jojee117

Jojee117 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    MT
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Sport Prerunner 4WD swapped
    The last time I went into a fs building to talk to them about shooting they were adamant about not shooting trees for fear of fire. I used to shoot on a friend's private property and one of his few rules was not shooting trees for the same reason. Are you really going to start a fire? Probably not, but it might get you in trouble if anyone finds out. What I ended up doing was making a saw horse with a board towards the top that that hinged down with a cutout for those circle sticker targets. I'll see if I have a picture

6. Jul 31, 2021 at 8:04 AM
    hexnutter

Member:
    First Name:
    doug
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    Oh no Im in Vermont not California. Its hard to start a fire here right now its so wet. My only concern about shooting into trees is for the sake of loggers cutting them down eventually. I'm not sure what could happen if a chain saw hit one. Another thing I'v learned in life is if you ask the answer is always no. Everyone would say just go to a range, which is an hour away. Gun control requires frequent shoot'n.

7. Jul 31, 2021 at 8:10 AM
    ROAD DOG

ROAD DOG Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 I4 WHITE SR PRERUNNER
    FEW

be certain U Know whose land U Are on !!

might want to check with local constabulary

people ae out about camping

hiking

could be near ...........concerned might complain

8. Jul 31, 2021 at 10:01 AM
    hexnutter

Member:
    First Name:
    doug
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    As a general rule of thumb I dont like anyone to know I have guns so asking you gotta be careful. These are 4x4 roads and no one around for miles. It would be the same places people hunt.

9. Jul 31, 2021 at 10:08 AM
    ROAD DOG

ROAD DOG Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 I4 WHITE SR PRERUNNER
    FEW

i would not be out & about in the hinterlands w/o a gun

isolated as 1 might be in touch with a ranger or land owner is not usually a bad thing

maybe if his name is jeffrey or freddie

some of what many shoot can go a looooooonnnnnggg ways

open hunt land is not a crash course for safety

10. Aug 2, 2021 at 8:34 PM
    2pei

2pei Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Oregon High Desert
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma
    mild lift, suspension & assorted badassery
    We shoot often in remote areas of the local Oregon High Desert BLM, fun stuff and only 30 or so miles away. We keep it clean and enjoy the solitude. I went out last evening with one of the dogs just to blast a few rounds, watch some lightning and enjoy some burbon &IMG_2917.jpg acceptable cigar

11. Aug 3, 2021 at 6:40 AM
    hexnutter

Member:
    First Name:
    doug
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    Thats a really good point about keeping a gun on hand, and yup not out hunting season, idiots.

I never got to the eastern side of Oregon, that looks so rad, sounds fun.

Last trip out west I was in Arizona and it was kinda like that. I know having the 45 was nice on the border of Mexico, it was sketchy as hell down there.

Some states have laws that your gun cannot be in "hands reach", which in a reg cab is impossible. I had a safe bolted to my floor on my old car. But in the Tacoma theres nothing like that in the bed and with a cap on it, its totally not secure.

12. Aug 3, 2021 at 2:37 PM
    2pei

2pei Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Oregon High Desert
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma
    mild lift, suspension & assorted badassery
    a $20 lockbox cable attaches to the seat rail, will keep 99% of the thieves away from your firearm and provide legal transport in everystate

Products Discussed in

To Top