1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

40 years ago today

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by oldtacomaguy, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Jul 20, 2009 at 6:15 AM
    oldtacomaguy

oldtacomaguy [OP] four forty four

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    SE Conn.
    Vehicle:
    08 SR-5 4WD Impulse Red Pearl
    Alpine deck and amp, Polk speakers front and rear, Kenwood subwoofer, windows tinted to 20%, Sockmonkey decals, TSB, Eibach springs and Bilstein 5100's
    I know most people here weren't around when we landed on the moon, but I remember it clearly. I was 13 and my family went on vacation at Monadnock State Park in New Hampshire. Spent the week waterskiing and hiking, checking out the girls, sneaking a drink of Southern Comfort with some people I met there. When we got home, we spent a lot of time watching the launch on TV. I really can't believe 40 years has gone by. For those who weren't around it's hard to describe what a big deal it was. OK I'm done. Anyone else?

2. Jul 20, 2009 at 6:23 AM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    SBurl Vermont
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD OR DC MGM
    Stock for now
    I do remember the landing and watching many of the Apollo launches on our B/W TV. ha ha.
    As for where I was, its my childhood is blur :laugh: Probably riding my bike or hanging out with my grandfather.
    I was amazed when I went to Kennedy Space Center much later as an adult and saw the little tin cans they went up in, those tident (?) rockets :eek:
    Certainly a rare breed the astronauts are.

3. Jul 20, 2009 at 6:25 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    Watched on TV with the whole school. Was 8 in elementary.

4. Jul 20, 2009 at 6:26 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is gooder 'en chicken Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+250k AND COUNTING), 88 SR5 PU (SOLD), 98 TRD OR (CRUSHED)
    5100's all on fours
    I saw the special they were having on the History channel this weekend. Truely amazing. I wasn't around for the moon landing but I do remember the Challenger explosion like it happened yesterday.

5. Jul 20, 2009 at 6:29 AM
    JeffRock

JeffRock Well-Known Member

Member:
    Capital region, NY
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma accesscab 4x4 SR5 2.7L
    Toyota all weather floor mats. Mag light that clunks around in the jack compartment. Dog hair. Dog drool on the windows.
    Yeah, challenger... I was in fourth grade. I had to stay after school and do make up work. The teacher pulled a tv in and we watched the news coverage over and over for what seemed like hours.

6. Jul 20, 2009 at 6:29 AM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    SBurl Vermont
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD OR DC MGM
    Stock for now
    Yes me too.
    We were watching it at work and when I saw that puff of smoke.
    That was so awful.
    RIP

7. Jul 20, 2009 at 6:31 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is gooder 'en chicken Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+250k AND COUNTING), 88 SR5 PU (SOLD), 98 TRD OR (CRUSHED)
    5100's all on fours
    We were watching it in class. My teacher was so happy because another female teacher was on board. She quickly turned off the TV when it happened and began to cry.

RIP

8. Jul 20, 2009 at 6:38 AM
    Dark Knight

Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NC/SC
    Vehicle:
    4Runner Trail
    google recognises alot of silly things in their homepage header logo but no moon landing b-day recognition. Thats rediculous

9. Jul 20, 2009 at 6:43 AM
    05 X-Runner

05 X-Runner Murdered X

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Napa, Nor-Cal. Whine Country U.S.A
    Vehicle:
    BSP 05 X-Runner, 07 TRD Sport Super White
    HVM C/F X-Runner badge 1 of 6 made,P/C'ed black rims,Blacked out Billet Grill,BLHM,HID's,Tinted tail covers, Fog light mod,BFLM,C2C Black eyelids,,C2C 1.75" Front drop 2" rear,C2C Hoodstruts,URD Shortshifter,URD T-CAI.Custom Coupe shiftball, NST Manifold Spacer.. 07 TRD Sport Super White,De-badged,White headlight Mod,Fog light mod,White tail light mod,C2C white eyelids, C2C hood struts
    I remember.... i was 12, damn i justed dated myself :laugh:

10. Jul 20, 2009 at 12:41 PM
    aaronatl

aaronatl ©1975

Member:
    First Name:
    Cap'n Crunch
    In A Big Country
    Vehicle:
    it hauls tostitos

I think we had the same teacher

11. Jul 20, 2009 at 1:02 PM
    Kenobe

Kenobe Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD Sport
    I was 3, so I was probably out back eating ants in the sandbox or something.

Challenger, was sitting in AF Basic Training on dorm guard duty.

12. Jul 20, 2009 at 1:40 PM
    rick

rick `

Member:
    i remember 1969. what a year. moon landing, Woodstock, the Amazing Mets, Joe Namath (guaranteeing) a Super Bowl victory over the Baltimore Colts, Chappaquiddick, Charles Manson. fuck I'm old

13. Jul 20, 2009 at 2:11 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 Rubicon Unlimited,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    40 years ago, My Mom placed me infront of the TV so I could see the moon landing......Being as I do not remember this ( I was 1 year old) Im gonna have to take here word. :)

14. Jul 20, 2009 at 2:31 PM
    Monkeysuncle

Monkeysuncle My Cat's breath Smells like Cat Food

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma SR5 4x4 5 speed Manual Hubs
    Diff Breather,CB thingy,GPS,Cop Shocks,Cop Breaks, old Man Emu 881's Dakar Leaf Springs and Nitro sport shocks. Deck Plate mod
  15. Jun 27, 2011 at 11:45 PM
    Grande

Grande Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Victorville, CA
    Vehicle:
    Thomas, The little truck that could
    Painted badges. Bedlined grille, wheels and lower valence. Billies 5100 @.85 up front. Dodger Jack Ball Mod. Custom trail damaged rear bumper (for the time being). Lil LED light bar on grill. Hard-wired Radar Det. Custom Projector fog lights, Anytime Fog Mod, HIDS, White LED accent lighting on a Single post double toggle swicht, so they light up wit my door/dome light, or always on, or never on. LED map and dome lights.
    Im reviving this thread.

so for those of u that witnessed this happen, do u believe its real? That we landed on the moon?

ive been doing some research on it, and there are ALOT of facts and evidence that most of all the apollo mission were staged.

im starting to think how our cournty would lie to its citizens just to feel like we beat russia......

so i wana kno what u guys think, ill post the video i watched, to see what u guys say after watching.

16. Jun 28, 2011 at 12:09 AM
    Grande

Grande Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Victorville, CA
    Vehicle:
    Painted badges. Bedlined grille, wheels and lower valence. Billies 5100 @.85 up front. Dodger Jack Ball Mod. Custom trail damaged rear bumper (for the time being). Lil LED light bar on grill. Hard-wired Radar Det. Custom Projector fog lights, Anytime Fog Mod, HIDS, White LED accent lighting on a Single post double toggle swicht, so they light up wit my door/dome light, or always on, or never on. LED map and dome lights.
  17. Jun 28, 2011 at 12:43 AM
    MountainEarth

MountainEarth Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR Access
    Leer 100XR Shell, BedRug mat - comfy sleeping, GT Covers microfiber seat covers, BFG All Terrains 265/70r16, Dashmat, Antennax 13" shorty antenna, Weathertech liners, Ultra Gauge, Avid Light Bar, PIAA 520 ATPs, one old dog
    ROFL .. of course it was on FOX. That says enough right there.

Here's a rule of thumb for you .... the larger the conspiracy, the more people involved, the exponentially GREATER chance someone blows the whistle. It is for that reason that I don't believe it was faked at all.

18. Jun 28, 2011 at 1:13 AM
    Grande

Grande Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Victorville, CA
    Vehicle:
    yea thats true....

but still, some of there points are still intresting to think about

but there are videos out there that are totally fake that try to say it was fake, but this ones seams legit as to resourses

or just that fact that we are the only country that has "gone" there

maybe another reason why americas kids are getting stupider every generation, america falls every year in ratings for how smart there kids are...maybe the goverment dont want us to be smart enough to figure this is all a joke and got slapped in the face for thinking that we did make it..

or maybe i just need to stop watching all these conspirsey videos, lol

19. Jun 28, 2011 at 1:24 AM
    Grande

Grande Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Victorville, CA
    Vehicle:
    yea ive seen some of those and the 911 commisson report........and all i can say, money is the root of all evil, i mean ALL evil, just think about it

20. Jun 28, 2011 at 1:33 AM
    MountainEarth

MountainEarth Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR Access
    Leer 100XR Shell, BedRug mat - comfy sleeping, GT Covers microfiber seat covers, BFG All Terrains 265/70r16, Dashmat, Antennax 13" shorty antenna, Weathertech liners, Ultra Gauge, Avid Light Bar, PIAA 520 ATPs, one old dog
    I don't think US kids are getting dumber at all.

My wife is a teacher and I also have a background in education, and one thing that sets the US apart from other nations is we don't track kids .. and by that I mean we don't separate out the kids with high aptitudes for math and science from those who don't. Rather, we pass idealistic laws like "No Child Left Behind" as if all kids can actually excel at math or science .. or school at all. Hey the world needs ditch diggers too ... and it's a damn fine job for the right person. It doesn't mean someone fell behind at all. We're all different.

But when we give a standardized math/science test, we give it to ALL our kids at that grade level. Most other nations to which we are compared only give it to kids with an aptitude for math & science who have been placed on a math & science track. Huge difference.

That is why we seem to be falling behind .. it is an incomplete comparison. If we give an international math test to ALL 4th graders, and China or India only gives it to their 4th graders who exhibit an aptitude for math, of course we will score lower overall. It certainly seems like we're falling behind, right? The devil is always in the details.

To Top