1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Discussion in 'Vendor Reviews' started by commtrd, Jun 11, 2009.

1. Jun 15, 2009 at 12:48 PM
    Jimirich

Jimirich Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 Dbl cab shorty O.R. pkg
    DTRL, Debadged, Donkey tethered in the bed that rips 142 db farts so I can piss off the neighbors and rattle the windows on my house when I'm parked in front.
    Not to be a dick, or to be a dick: pick it.
    This, to me epitomizes the typical ********* customer.
    Note the attention to detail on the application of Damplifier and Ensolite.
    The coverings over the gaping holes in the inner skin door will nicely contain the backwaves of the speakers.
    The 6x9 vs a component system is a great upgrade.
    This install should be miles aprt in sound quality from the original.
    I know I'm gonna take heat.
    I'm sure there are some of you who have gone the nine yards on your install using *********.
    I'm sure there are satisfied customers, but why take the gamble when there is so much negative feedback about the company? When I was giving my system legitimate considerations for uprade I researched quite a bit and ********* quickly fell out of the picture.

2. Jun 15, 2009 at 3:01 PM
    commtrd

commtrd [OP] commtrd

Member:
    Corpus Christi TX
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab 4wd V6
    Well maybe a set of 6X9's is not up to the standards of serious audiophiles but a good pair driven by a decent amp with a good HU will sure sound better than the stock crap they put in these trucks. I want to install a Kenwood DNX5140 for the on-board navigation (built-in) as well as correct the stock sound which is marginal at best. I was going to use some Pioneer TS-A6993R 6X9's with a Crunch amp so it may be not as good as what some use in their trucks but it will sound MUCH BETTER than what's there now. Toyota is really dropping the ball with the stock sound in these trucks IMHO. Believe it or not there's a lot of guys who really don't want to spend 3 grand for a sound system. Some people want their truck lifted six inches and most don't. It's all good.

3. Jun 15, 2009 at 3:20 PM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad DC 4x4 with stuff
    All the normal TW BS
    Holy Moses please don't buy a crunch amp! I'm not asking you to reach for the stars and put on a concert, but please please at least buy something that's worth your money. I would recommend something from Wal-Mart before losing double that on crunch. Heck, I would even say Sony xplod.

Much as I may personally dislike them, at least step to a Rockford. I may not like how they sound so much, but I can't knock how long they will last - they will at least reliably outlive the warranty for a good many years. Consider Craigslist if need be.

4. Jun 15, 2009 at 3:23 PM
    beastlytaco

beastlytaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Vehicle:
    08 Access Cab SR5
    well, whats a decent amp thats not over 250$?

5. Jun 15, 2009 at 8:24 PM
    GoBlueFan

GoBlueFan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Bossier City, LA
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 PreRunner
    Step bars, billet grill with custom TOYOTA, MB Quart RSI 216 components, Hifonics ZXi 4410, RAAMmat deadened doors/back wall/roof covered with ensolite , 24" Magnaflow muffler, hand polished stock exhaust tip, tinted, OEM TRD Bilstiens all around with 1/4" spacers up front to level it out. Sport wheels added.
  6. Jun 15, 2009 at 9:02 PM
    commtrd

commtrd [OP] commtrd

Member:
    Corpus Christi TX
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab 4wd V6
    Well OK maybe not a crunch amp. I had read some good reviews on them but have no knowledge about what is the "recommended" amp or for that matter speakers or even HU's. What we need is a thread where guys who have much more knowledge and experience with audio components can air their views and opinions about what constitutes a good system for different price levels. Also navigation-oriented HU's etc. I have never used an amp in any of my trucks but I wanted one in this truck since I plan on keeping it a long time. So if a guy wanted to keep a budget of say a $1000 what would be the recommended speakers and amp / HU that can be installed for that (me doing the install)? I think the Kenwood DNX-5140 looks good since it has the nav built in. I looked at some decks at a couple stores and did not care for the interface on the Pioneers.

So how 'bout it...why don't yall give some advice as far as components that would make up a good value system for a reasonable price? Keep in mind this is not going crazy with extreme hi-dollar / competition applications? A lot of us much-less knowledgeable would really appreciate it.

7. Jun 15, 2009 at 9:07 PM
    commtrd

commtrd [OP] commtrd

Member:
    Corpus Christi TX
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab 4wd V6
    BTW the sound I loved most in my previous trucks was the sound of twin turbos spooling up on the cummins while rowing through the six-speed...did not need any sound other than that! No TD in this truck so need some sounds better than that stock radio.

8. Jun 15, 2009 at 9:37 PM
    commtrd

commtrd [OP] commtrd

Member:
    Corpus Christi TX
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab 4wd V6
    Those Clarus speakers look awesome. I never would have known about them without this thread.

9. Jun 15, 2009 at 10:04 PM
    GoBlueFan

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Bossier City, LA
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 PreRunner
    Step bars, billet grill with custom TOYOTA, MB Quart RSI 216 components, Hifonics ZXi 4410, RAAMmat deadened doors/back wall/roof covered with ensolite , 24" Magnaflow muffler, hand polished stock exhaust tip, tinted, OEM TRD Bilstiens all around with 1/4" spacers up front to level it out. Sport wheels added.

This is a VERY difficult tasking. Why? Too many variables. A stereo is a very personal thing. What sounds good to you, might sound like crap to someone else. It's almost like asking which oil is the best.:eek:

Price point is the first thing...then your listening habits/likes/dislikes/experience. Forget the entry level stuff, and the high end stuff, what you have in the middle is all good stuff and it comes down to features and what you need.

There are a million and one ways to make a great system, not a single one is the correct way.

10. Jun 15, 2009 at 10:30 PM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    All the normal TW BS
    Sorry if this post comes out all weird, I just watched an Eddie Izzard standup. After watching that long of a show with a British accent speaking that fast, I can't put my thoughts together right.
    Anyway,

So far, so good. You are doing comparisons, you are stating valid points that are tangible, ... excellent start on things, and definitely the best way to indoctrinate yourself.

Hard thing is is that you may not have the brands we state available to you, and audio is still a very brick and mortar type business due to fraud, shady deals, and general misconception, so many brands are very uppity and want to sell through only licensed installers. Really it's not as bad as I make it sound, but that's the back story of why everything might not be as easily accessible as other purchases you may do over the internet.

I can't give a blanket "this will be best", because people hear things differently. As I mentioned earlier, I don't like Rockford Fosgate. I think they sound muddy and I want more out of my gear. However, I know that they will last for at least 10 years of continued use, and some people think they are just fine. They are a generally inexpensive product.
    Another point is that brands can change focus. Sony used to be amazing with their mobile ES (or whatever it was called) product, and now they are nearly the worst you can buy. I swore on Eclipse until they became part of Fujitsu-ten and got weird - I don't know if they are a yay or nay now. Same with Soundstream, Phoenix Gold, yadda yadda.
    I like to say go compare and ask if this or that sounds good, but that doesn't necessarily help you either.

I guess I will say this: Start with either Alpine or Pioneer as your listening 'base', then find what sounds better or worse in comparison. Those two are your most generic, and for me feel like the baseline models (better than most, but also not getting into the fancy stuff). If you find a more exotic brand that sounds as good or better for comparable or better prices, ask here about our thoughts. For me, I found value with Memphis and, back in the day, Soundstream. I used to run Planet Audio, but I have noticed they accentuate their highs too much and don't tout them so heavily.

Most of all, don't trust people who say, "this hits hard, this is the best, this has a kevlar reinforced cone", etc. (I actually had one sales rep come to me and say, "This is the bomb", which made me ask for a different salesperson to bug me). There is no real best, and there is way too much subliminal opinion to what the products do. The best advice anyone can give is what they pick out when they hear that product, and most all, how reliable and easy to use the product may be.

So there you have it, my spasmodic ramblings. I hope it gets you started somehow.

11. Jun 15, 2009 at 10:34 PM
    Jimirich

Member:
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    DTRL, Debadged, Donkey tethered in the bed that rips 142 db farts so I can piss off the neighbors and rattle the windows on my house when I'm parked in front.
    Acknowledged.

12. Jun 15, 2009 at 10:51 PM
    Jimirich

Member:
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    I got a Kenwood x492 for about $149.00 and it does music very well.
    No Nav, no video, no touchscreen. Its a solid HU that would allow you to put more into your speakers, or soundproofing for that matter.
    One of the reasons the stock stereo sounds so shitty in our trucks is because the truck cabin is a shitty environment for producing nice sound.
    When you start to reduce some of the noise a stereo competes with, the quality of the sound becomes better without having to blast the volume.
    Spend 150 on a decent, H.U. without the bells and whistles and with the $150-200 you save on a touchscreen unit you can buy enough soundproofing to make a true difference in the sound stage of your cabin.
    I absolutely hated the JBL system that was in my truck but I hated it a lot less after I installed Damplifier, Luxury Liner, and Ensolite.

Anyhow a good start is to browse and/or buy stero equipment online at:
    Subwoofersetc.com
    onlinecarstero.com
    sonicelectronix.com
    Amazon.com
    Read reviews, check specs.
    Go to Customtacos.com and EnolaGaiea can help you with most questions about what "fits" and wiring questions.
    Sorry to post as a downer at first.
    You can educate yourself or just let some shop choose and do everything for you.
    In the long run you'll be better off if you try to research as much as possible.

13. Jun 15, 2009 at 11:42 PM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    All the normal TW BS
    And this is where paths diverge...

I find Kenwoods to be a bit cumbersome... kind of hard to find all the controls. However, I feel the controls are very distinct and solid from the models I interacted with. No accidental pushes or cheapness, controls are tight without a feel of looseness. Screen is nice and bright.

My most favorite deck was an Eclipse 5341R, bought 10 years ago. Doesn't look much, but incredibly organic experience, I knew what I was controlling without even looking at it. I've based all my other HU purchases off that experience.

e5341r.jpg

For whatever reason, my budget on a HU has always been $325. For what I want, it's always been this price, and there was nothing I wanted from the next price up. Even my current deck was supposed to cost more than that, but a sale brought it to... $325. I haven't looked in a month, but at that time I had found one for $200 comparable to what i'd want, so technology is definitely decreasing the price point.

Anyway, they things I look for is
    1. ease of control. Eyes on the road, and no hunting in a manual. I want to master it in 1 minute of my initial interaction.
    2. 3 preouts (front, rear, sub), though I'm learning more that the rear out isn't so important for proper staging.
    3. built in high and low input filters
    4. Simplicity. The less it does fluff wise, the more I feel they spent focusing on something that will make it perform or last better. I kind of broke the rule on my current deck, and I am learning that some of the real nice to haves require an additional $150 unit. :mad:

What they put in our trucks stock is no better or worse than other vehicles. The typical consumer has low standards and the effort for replacement is too great.

14. Jun 15, 2009 at 11:55 PM
    ilovetacos

ilovetacos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gavin
    Sacramento/Woodland
    Vehicle:
    2006 TRD Sport 4x4 DC
    Sold!
    I am guessing you have an Alpine 9887?

15. Jun 16, 2009 at 6:11 AM
    commtrd

commtrd [OP] commtrd

Member:
    Corpus Christi TX
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab 4wd V6
    I fully agree on the ease of use and control. I was looking at the new Pioneer decks and it took a long time standing there to try to figure out what to do to try and work the crappy little joystick control they use now. It would take too much eye time away from the road which is not good. Some great points made in these posts. Thanks.

16. Jun 16, 2009 at 6:14 AM
    commtrd

commtrd [OP] commtrd

Member:
    Corpus Christi TX
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab 4wd V6
    The only reason I was thinking about getting a HU with built-in navigation is when working out of state it kind of gets to be a hassle with the TomTom falling off the windshield and taking it down every time I stopped (thieves apparently like to steal these things) so the on-board nav would be nice I thought. Totally not committed to buying one though. Still doing tons of research on the web etc.

17. Jun 16, 2009 at 6:48 AM
    Hotdog

Hotdog My hair is all natural Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    2007 PreRunner SR5 Double Cab
    Wet Okole Underwear
    Thieves also like to steal built in head units. If/when I get a different stereo setup, I am going to work on a way to hide it while I'm parked.

18. Jun 16, 2009 at 9:37 PM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    All the normal TW BS
    I thought there was a deck where the gps was removable and you could still use it... can't find that now.
    I would definitely want the feature, though. I walk around with mine, and will take it in other people's vehicles or rental cars.

Nope, Alpine iDA-X100. Why the hell doesn't it have a low pass filter without the need to buy the expensive addon that gives a bunch of equalizer stuff that's way more than I want to bother with? Next deck is probably going to take me back to Pioneer if they can make searching through my ipod better and get rid of that stupid change to the multiposition wheel. Right before this I had a Premiere 690 something or other, and it was great except for the ridiculous "lets scroll forever to find a song" ipod control

19. Jun 17, 2009 at 5:37 AM
    GoBlueFan

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Bossier City, LA
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 PreRunner

Isn't that one of the Eclipse head units with a removable TomTom?

20. Jun 17, 2009 at 8:41 AM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    All the normal TW BS
    I thought it was a Kenwood with a removable Garmin, but I can't find anything on either.

I do know that the Yaris was planning to have a removable tomtom as a feature, but that really doesn't help us.

To Top