1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

"40's & 50's" Midlife crisis/GTFO my lawn thread.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Matic, Jun 18, 2011.

1. Apr 30, 2017 at 7:03 AM
    sandjunkie

sandjunkie Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    OC
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC 4X4 TRD Sport
    RCD Lift, Custon Alcan Leafs, Ballistic Jesters, Duratracs 285/70/17,Fold-a-Cover Elite G4 Tonneau, Black Grill Emblem, Sock Monkey Yeti Decals, Tundra 4x4 emblem sprayed black, Debadged, LED interior, Xenon Depot 6000K HID Headlights, Xenon Depot 3000k Fogs with Lamin-X Coating, Borla Exhaust - Chopped, Weathertecs, Custom Katzkin Leather TRD Interior.
    Daily Driver. - this thing is all protected and cleans up easy. Suntek Ultimate on the entire front plus 2 coats of Wolfgang paint sealant plus 2 coats of Collinite 845. The wheels have been protected with Gyeon Rim 2.

I am driving the crap out of this thing.

2. Apr 30, 2017 at 7:05 AM
    sandjunkie

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    OC
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC 4X4 TRD Sport
    RCD Lift, Custon Alcan Leafs, Ballistic Jesters, Duratracs 285/70/17,Fold-a-Cover Elite G4 Tonneau, Black Grill Emblem, Sock Monkey Yeti Decals, Tundra 4x4 emblem sprayed black, Debadged, LED interior, Xenon Depot 6000K HID Headlights, Xenon Depot 3000k Fogs with Lamin-X Coating, Borla Exhaust - Chopped, Weathertecs, Custom Katzkin Leather TRD Interior.
    They are hub centric spacers that are only 15mm wide. There is really very little additional strain. I should have them in a few weeks.

RearViewMirror likes this.
  3. Apr 30, 2017 at 7:05 AM
    RearViewMirror

RearViewMirror Saw things so much clearer once you... were in my

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB 4X4 TRD Off Road *Sold*
    Dementia is a bitch no doubt. None of my business but does she just have dementia or early (maybe even late onset alzheimer's)? Alzheimer's is a disease that there is no cure for and basically what it does is eliminate the latest memories and moves backwards in time. So someone that is say 80 yrs old can not remember faces or recall what they ate for dinner but can remember what happened in the past. So as the disease progresses someone that is 80 reverts back to a time that the disease hasn't effected "yet". So in a sense they feel the same as if they are 50 and have those memories vividly. As it progresses even more it reverts back in time. So the disease effectively takes the person back in time while reducing brain size and function.

Dementia is a side effect but is part of the normal aging process and not necessarily Alzheimer's.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
    Old School likes this.
  4. Apr 30, 2017 at 7:06 AM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    Cool. Should really change the look of the stance of the car.

sandjunkie likes this.
  5. Apr 30, 2017 at 7:51 AM
    wdb

wdb intolerance intolerant

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    the perimeter
    Vehicle:
    plain jane
    Hella 4000 eurobeams, Amp Bed Step, IamMrYo mirror riser, Wet Okoles, HomerTaco satoshi, retrofit intermittent wipers & backup camera
    Because he's been losing his hearing for 97 years and has adapted and adjusted to it over that time period. And now you give him thingies that: a) feel funny stuck in his head, and; 2) bring sounds back up to a level he hasn't experienced in 20+ years. That's why.

It takes time to acclimate to hearing aids. The longer you've gone without them even though you needed them, the longer it takes to acclimate. Add 97 years of age, stir gently.

Rant over. I've worn hearing aids since before I was theoretically qualified to post in this thread, had it existed back then which it did not. (An early life filled with ear infections and bad medical advice will do that to a person.) I'm getting a new pair very soon; bluetooth baby! High def sound! Phone calls, music, TV audio streaming straight into my head. They are going to be pretty darned slick. Can't wait.

Watari06V6 likes this.
  6. Apr 30, 2017 at 8:31 AM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    Oh he's worn hearing aids since his 70's. But as technology has progressed (as you mentioned) he has a set that we paid damn near close to 10k for and he can hear crystal clear. He just refuses to use them. They don't fit his ear much different than the hearing aids he's always used so I dunno? The thing that bugs me the most and I do understand to some extent. He is ready to die. I hate to hear him say that as he is the strongest man I have ever known. He helped raise me when my father left us. He would buy Christmas presents and put my biological father's name on them so it wouldn't hurt me. I can not imagine the strength it took to do something like that. So when he says he's ready to die it hurts. But the rational side of me understands. He has outlived everyone with the exception of my mother, father, and me. He has lived his "useful" life (his words). He wants to go and looking at it from the outside in I understand. I don't want to live until I'm 97. And with the life I've lead that is not a very likely outcome.

7. Apr 30, 2017 at 8:38 AM
    TomTwo

TomTwo I CAN FIX THAT

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Almost Alabama
    Vehicle:
    Totaled 2012 TRD Sport, 2013 TRD Double Cab Sport
    My 90 year old Mother lives with Me and my Wife and it is full time for both of us to make sure She is taken care of, She does real good during the day but late in the evening "Sundowner syndrome" kicks in and she gets real confused real sad to watch. Dementia Sucks!!!

Watari06V6 and Old School like this.
  8. Apr 30, 2017 at 9:18 AM
    Old School

Old School You are ignoring covfefe by this member.

Member:
    I'd have to say that with her being post-polio, and having double scoliosis, she takes high level pain pills, depression/anxiety meds, and they have been found to contribute to her symptoms. I don't believe it's Altzheimers.
    She's also on Coumadin blood thinners, and has been repeatedly warned, "do not fall!" by her doctors.
    Most difficult job I ever had!
    Thankfully, I'm starting to get outside help now!

Mom has some very normal times, but she does go through episodes where she doesn't think clearly, and then argues and fights with me, always verbal, never physical.

9. Apr 30, 2017 at 9:40 AM
    Cypherian

Cypherian Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mid Atlantic Region
    Vehicle:
    2011 Dbl Cab TRD Sport
    Bought one similar to this for my father https://www.amazon.com/Krown-KRN-K-...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=H5BK92WT65D2X33RH21N

Might be an idea if he habitually does not put his hearing aids in I got one then ended up with two more he has one in the kitchen , living room and bedroom. He already had a bell ringer in the garage so he can hear that even if he doesn't have his hearing aids in . Just a thought.

Cypher

TomTwo and wdb like this.
  10. Apr 30, 2017 at 9:41 AM
    Cypherian

Cypherian Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mid Atlantic Region
    Vehicle:
    2011 Dbl Cab TRD Sport
    Having done this one big piece of advice TAKE TIME FOR YOUR SELF NOW AND THEN.. Have one or two back up folks you can call for some respite it will wear on you .

Cypher

TomTwo and Old School like this.
  11. Apr 30, 2017 at 9:50 AM
    Old School

Old School You are ignoring covfefe by this member.

Member:
    Exactly, I'm getting some help in now once a week, I see more help needed down the road...
    I take frequent bike rides, found a cool little fishing spot recently, not far into the back woods!
    Don't think I'll go swimming there though, notice the large Gator in the second picture!

20170425_141313.jpg

20170427_152943.jpg

jubei likes this.
  12. Apr 30, 2017 at 2:02 PM
    wdb

wdb intolerance intolerant

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    the perimeter
    Vehicle:
    plain jane
    Hella 4000 eurobeams, Amp Bed Step, IamMrYo mirror riser, Wet Okoles, HomerTaco satoshi, retrofit intermittent wipers & backup camera
    Oh, *that* old coot syndrome. ;)
    Considering how most of us spend our lives fearing death, coming to grips with it to that extent might be seen as a sign of strength. My wife did home care for a woman near us years ago, then after she passed she kind of 'adopted' the widower. He hung on for a while but then he was ready too. "I want to go be with Grace" he said. (His wife) We could only do so much to make him comfortable in a life he no longer wanted to be in. When he passed there was a kind of relief, a sense of release, not quite joy but a feeling that he was with Grace now and happier. I like to think it's true.

jubei likes this.
  13. Apr 30, 2017 at 2:23 PM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    I think that's where he's at right now. I really feel sad for him. He is in no pain, takes no meds, and is of sound mind. He's just ready to die. I firmly believe that if we do happen to live that long there becomes a time where quality of life is more important than quantity of life. He has outlived everyone he has ever known. His entire platoon during WWII slowly passed away. All of his (original) friends at his church have long since gone. So he sits in his apartment everyday just waiting. We try to keep him occupied but it is becoming increasingly apparent that he just want's to go and be with his wife (my grandmother who died in 96). Being an Atheist I don't personally believe that but I certainly wish that for him. I hope there is a place, if even for an instant, as the neurons in your brain slowly stop firing upon death that he can see her one more time.

jubei likes this.
  14. May 1, 2017 at 5:20 AM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    @sandjunkie

This would be "my" choice if I could buy one right now. For some reason I still think this is one of the most beautiful cars on the road today. The sound it makes is a symphony that is hard to reproduce.

It's a little funny also coolant issues aside.

Last edited: May 1, 2017
  15. May 1, 2017 at 5:38 AM
    Sig45

Sig45 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD OFF-ROAD DCSB 4X4
    AVS in-channel window visors Husky Mud Guards Husky Liners X-act Contour Floor Liners Toyo Open Country AT2 - 265/75/16 C Toyota 16" Black TRD Trail Team Edition Wheels OEM Bed mat OEM Running Boards Marathon custom fit seat covers Front window tint Rear Leaf Spring Pack - TSB
  16. May 1, 2017 at 7:22 AM
    adrenalnjunky

adrenalnjunky Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    West Monroe, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner SR5 DCSB
    billie 5100's front @ .85"
    So quick question - genetically, how common is Dementia/Alzheimers to be passed along family lines? Backstory: My grandmother (Dad's mom) developed Dementia type symptoms 10-12 years ago, and has had to be in a full-care nursing facility for the last 4-5. (I remember one of my last trips to her house was my wife and I taking the kiddo to go visit, and he wasn't crawling yet, and he's 5.5 now) She's 97 now. The disease has progressed, and I'm not totally sure of the official diagnosis at this point, but it started off with basic forgetfulness - forgetting to eat, meds not being taken (or over taken), stories being told over and over, and at times not quite remembering who everyone in the room was. As it progressed, she'd lapse back to thinking people were people from other points in her life, and not remembering anything about her current situation for long stretches (Good days vs bad days).

What concerns me most - my dad still seems completely in charge of his faculties, turns 68 this year. But I'll be damned if I haven't picked up on a tendency for him to tell the same story over and over at times. Not a damning symptom, this is a thing I've noticed for quite a while. His dad died when he was 18, so no history there to look into.

My best friend's dad developed Parkinson's a while back, but only recently really let anyone know (Including his adult children) - and only because the symptoms had gotten so advanced that it couldn't be explained away. Then I find out my buddy's uncle (his dad's brother) has it as well. I wasn't aware that it could run in a family like that.

17. May 1, 2017 at 7:31 AM
    sandjunkie

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    OC
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC 4X4 TRD Sport

I considered a F type R coupe before buying the AMG. I just couldn't get past the reliability issues with these cars. They are so beautiful and sound amazing. I drive by our local jag dealer and they are stacked up in the service drive. Our CEO has a F Type S and the thing left him stranded with about 2500 miles on the clock. The whole dash lit up like a christmas tree and went into limp mode. It was something stupid/easy to fix but after that I decided to go a different route.

18. May 1, 2017 at 8:00 AM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    To answer your first question. Genetically a person that suffers from Alzheimer's immediate blood family members are slightly more predisposed to developing the disease. That said... there are many variables that go along with that. Some may never develop the disease and some may. There are many reasons for this and way too long to go into detail here.

Alzheimer's and dementia generally go hand in hand. That said, you can have dementia without having alzheimer's. Dementia can be as simple as forgetting where you place something, trouble remembering names, and can just be considered part of the ageing process. Alzheimer's works differently as I'm sure you're well aware. It generally starts off with the newest memory the person suffering the disease. They can not remember no matter how hard they try things that happened a few days ago to a few minutes ago. The pathways in the brain are not there anymore. As the disease progresses the patient tends to revert to earlier times in their life. So someone that is 80 can not remember what happened yesterday but can remember vividly what happened when they were 60. So, essentially, they are 60 again in their mind. During this time their brain is getting smaller as the pathways that used to be there are no longer there. It eventually keeps going this route until it starts causing issues with internal organs and eventually leads to death. There is no cure for alzheimer's. There are drugs out there that will help slow the progress of the disease but that is a stopgap at the moment. The only way to truly diagnose alzheimer's is after death and a study of the patient's brain size.

One of the very first things I do when we make rescues on patients that are not coherent is get at eye level with them and introduce myself. If you are standing above their level they tend to feel threatened. My first question is "can you tell me what day it is?". Next question "can you tell me who the president is". Those two questions will tell me what I'm dealing with. If they say Reagan, Ford, Kennedy, etc... then that is a pretty good indication that this "could" be an alzheimer's patient.

As far a Parkinson's disease goes... Having one or more close relatives with the disease increases the likelihood that you will get it, but to a minimal degree. This lends support to the idea that there is a genetic link in developing Parkinson's. My Grandmother developed ALS (Lou Gehrig's Disease) and there is the same degree of close blood relatives developing the same disease though rare. So yes... there is a chance that either could be contracted but to put it in perspective. You are more likely to develop some form of cancer than either one of those diseases.

Hope this helps a little and puts it into some perspective.

jubei likes this.
  19. May 1, 2017 at 8:00 AM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    I agree... the Merc should be much more reliable. I just love the sound of the Jag.

sandjunkie likes this.
  20. May 1, 2017 at 11:58 AM
    Pchop

Pchop Beavis Killer

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob I
    South FL
    Vehicle:
    '09 Tacoma TRD
    Never saw the new guys answers regarding hummingbirds. WTH!!!

SC2SC likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top