1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

"40's & 50's" Midlife crisis/GTFO my lawn thread.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Matic, Jun 18, 2011.

1. May 31, 2017 at 12:29 PM
    Runtacorun

Runtacorun Just Browsing

Member:
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD OR
    ARE Overland topper RC side steps
    ^^^
    Not really a cordless option if that is a big concern. I avoid black and decker, that stuff is crap. I would go with the dirt devil. It is cheap enough that if it breaks in a year it is not a big loss.

2. May 31, 2017 at 12:38 PM
    Pchop

Pchop Beavis Killer

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob I
    South FL
    Vehicle:
    '09 Tacoma TRD
    Yeah, that is probably the route I am going to go. Heard the same about B&D.

3. May 31, 2017 at 12:42 PM
    RearViewMirror

RearViewMirror Saw things so much clearer once you... were in my

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB 4X4 TRD Off Road *Sold*
    Dude I've honestly got a Black and Decker Small shop vac I use at home. I don't have a need for a full sized shop vac at the house and it works perfectly for the car. Dyson is awesome. We've got one for the house and it is everything that they say it is. But Dyson's are expensive. You do get what you pay for though. I "personally" would steer away from handheld vacs (other than a Dyson). I would get a small shop vac since they will have more suction.

4. May 31, 2017 at 12:46 PM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    Oh... and the Black and Decker shop vac I've got is at least 3 years old. That said... I only use it for vacuuming out the cars.

5. May 31, 2017 at 12:54 PM
    Pchop

Pchop Beavis Killer

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob I
    South FL
    Vehicle:
    '09 Tacoma TRD
    How long have you had the dyson for the house?

Edit: Why am I not surprised YOU have a Dyson? Dumb me :facepalm:

6. May 31, 2017 at 1:05 PM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    We bought the Dyson last year. I got tired of the Hoover bagless vacuum we had as (as Dyson says) lost suction as soon as it started filling up just a little. Dyson's claim is true that it never loses suction no matter how much is in the container. It's quiet and does a great job around the house. I bought it on sale off of Amazon for $550 but so far it has been worth every penny.

As far as vacuums for the car goes. Don't buy anything expensive or cordless. Just get a cheap shop vac at Wal Mart, Home Depot, or Lowes. Like I said... I've got a cheap Black and Decker and it works fine for cleaning out the car and takes up no room in the garage.

7. May 31, 2017 at 1:25 PM
    Pchop

Pchop Beavis Killer

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob I
    South FL
    Vehicle:
    '09 Tacoma TRD
    Yeah, this is for the house for now. I just need something to grab to clean up sand and what not that I may track in, spilled rice or something like that. Just don't want to lug out the central vac hose is all.

8. May 31, 2017 at 1:30 PM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    Just get a cheap vacuum for something like that if that's all you're going to be picking up. You don't need anything expensive to pick up sand. Hell... buy one of those cordless one's that you can hang on the wall and go to town with it.

I've honestly thought about buying one of those Roombas (sp?) for general cleanup when the house doesn't need a full cleaning. Just set it to do it's thing ever other day or so. It will go out and clean then go back to it's charging station by itself. All you have to do is empty the tray. And from what I hear, they do a pretty good job now that the technology has been around for quite a while.

9. May 31, 2017 at 1:31 PM
    Pchop

Pchop Beavis Killer

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob I
    South FL
    Vehicle:
    '09 Tacoma TRD
    I did, just bought this one. Like ten minutes ago.
    https://www.amazon.com/Dirt-Devil-C...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=5E9NEJJRXDZATM8FZBBE

10. May 31, 2017 at 1:32 PM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
  11. May 31, 2017 at 1:33 PM
    Pchop

Pchop Beavis Killer

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob I
    South FL
    Vehicle:
    '09 Tacoma TRD
    :thumbsup: thats what I thought. Simple, cheap. Almost disposable cheap.

12. May 31, 2017 at 1:36 PM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    Exactly. For shit like that I don't mind buying cheap shit. If it breaks so what? I'll just run down and grab another one. But no more than you're going to use it, it should last for a few years I'd say.

medic2230 likes this.
  13. May 31, 2017 at 2:10 PM
    krap22

krap22 Well-Known Member

Member:
    That didn't take long. Noah is officially homeless.

14. May 31, 2017 at 2:28 PM
    MQQSE

MQQSE GOB

Member:
    First Name:
    Chief Pal Guy (aka Rob III)
    Up there ... a bit to the left
    Hmmm ... :( :frusty: :sorry: :annoyed:

15. May 31, 2017 at 2:31 PM
    krap22

krap22 Well-Known Member

Member:
    He might be sitting on my door step when I get home.

It's interesting, he posted to facebook on Monday about friends are forever. Wonder what happened to forever......

16. May 31, 2017 at 2:36 PM
    HomerTaco

HomerTaco TOYWERX Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Bucks County Pa.
    Vehicle:
    four sticks, dual cases, zero fucks...
    Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill with 12-15 front-end swap/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad mini / Safari Snorkel / Auto-pilot mode / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust re-route / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift / Inchworm 4.7 crawlbox / twin stick FJ t-case / Davez off-road triple-stick kit/
    We've got the Dyson Ball upright and also one of the small handheld Dyson's
    Expensive but they do kick ass.

:( sorry to see you going through all this still.

17. May 31, 2017 at 3:44 PM
    G.T.

G.T. Official TW Burrito Inspector

Member:
    First Name:
    G.T.
    CONUS
    Vehicle:
    2011 Pyrite Mica 4WD DCLB TRDSport w/ FlipPac
    Some stick on chrome from pep boys
    I think that to teenagers forever is anything over two hours.

18. May 31, 2017 at 4:02 PM
    TenBeers

TenBeers Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Pro Cavalry Blue
    CBI bed rack and sliders, CVT Mt. Bachelor, Uniden 520XL, WeatherTechs, TRD CAI, 1Up USA hitch rack, speaker upgrade, Total Chaos bed stiffeners
    We have a Dyson ball, an old Hoover heavy mofo, and one like this (ours is an older model).
    https://www.amazon.com/Hoover-UH200...hoover+vacuum+cleaner&refinements=p_89:Hoover

I swear this cheap thing works as good as any vacuum I have used. I use it on hard floors and carpet, bang the crap out of it and it keeps going. I won't use the other ones anymore.

19. May 31, 2017 at 4:42 PM
    .jake

.jake Ex-Lion Tamer

Member:
    Queen Creek, AZ
    Vehicle:
    0x07E1 4x4 DCLB TRD Sport
    2" Lift on 16x8 -12 SCS Ray 10's w/ 265/75 Wildpeaks
    So I wanted to check in here, a sort of calling the doctor for an appointment type moment. The one where you don't make the call. And then there's that moment you know you need to call, but with enough High Life you're now part doctor yourself so you convince yourself that juuust maybe, tomorrow, that problem will be gone. So you wait another day but it's not improving. And you find yourself getting agitated more and more at the smaller things. Every passing day the relief of sleep fixes nothing. Not a damn thing works. Except Excedrin smoothies. I'm pretty sure if I make them thick enough they'll plug the ulcer they created.

I now know the the pinnacle of my life was in 2014. Things were well. With any luck I'd reached my half-life. I was 40. I bought my 2nd Taco. We just built a new house. My amazing daughter is crazy smart. My beautiful starter wife hadn't quit me. Then one day I'm standing for about 30 minutes talking to a client and I get this piercing pain below the belt. Fuck. Me. That. Hurts. I can only describe it like this. If you close your eyes and tilt your head back, imagine a pelvis-homing hummingbird backed up into a falcon dive, then shot from the sky and in a flurry, lowering that beak and impaling me. I shook it off like a champ because I'm invincible, right? Uh huh. I'm 40. Shit no longer heals. And damn this hurts.

At 42 I realized I hadn't yet fulfilled my midlife crisis. So I compounded things by selling the (perfectly fine) Taco and buying a new Mustang GT. For eight months I lived in full chub. I hadn't thought about what a difficult time I'd have getting in and out of that damn car with a hummingbird now frequently perforating my region. I should have kept the truck. For the first time ever I could hear my wife's thoughts. Shit. Now I have two problems. So I bit the bullet and got out of the GT and into another new Taco. Ok, I'm whole again, back into truck life. I'm pretty sure that means the crisis is over. Check me on that guys.

So fast forward to Monday. A nice holiday spent blurry-eyed, swimming and BBQ-ing. So freaking American it hurt. Ooooh shit, no, that's me that hurts. That asshole hummingbird is back. And his beak seems to be bigger than I remember. He'd visited a bunch of times between the initial attack and Monday, but damn... I thought to myself... this is the big one. I'm done for. I think I should lie down. Now. I'm calling the doctor tomorrow. Or maybe Wednesday.

So I've given it a day. Things aren't improving. This hernia ain't gonna heal itself. So I think tomorrow I'm gonna make that call. Ya, for sure tomorrow. Or maybe Friday.

I'm convinced that weaponizing hummingbirds is a terrible idea. They can be plenty effective as they are. I know the others are much less ill-tempered and good-natured. I see them from my office window. I see them by the pool. I see them doing their things in harmony with nature. There's just always a bad apple.

Last edited: May 31, 2017
    Toby, Spintly, .劉煒 and 1 other person like this.
  20. May 31, 2017 at 5:28 PM
    Hardscrabble

Hardscrabble Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    McDonough, GA
    Vehicle:
    '11 TM DCSB & '13 BRM regular cab
    Leather seats, WeatherTech's, Access LiteRider tonneau cover, extra D-rings in bed & tailgate. Pelley lightbar with Hella 700FF's. Temp./compass O/H console.

Not bad, pretty good actually. Now for fuck's sake, call a Doctor.

def67, medic2230, Toby and 2 others like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top