1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

"40's & 50's" Midlife crisis/GTFO my lawn thread.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Matic, Jun 18, 2011.

1. Aug 17, 2017 at 1:42 PM
    RearViewMirror

RearViewMirror Saw things so much clearer once you... were in my

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB 4X4 TRD Off Road *Sold*
    How long do you plan on keeping it?

2. Aug 17, 2017 at 1:44 PM
    krap22

krap22 Well-Known Member

Member:

Long time. Probably somewhere around 7 to 10 years. Original warranty was 3 year 36k miles. Now it's 7 years, 100k miles.

3. Aug 17, 2017 at 2:02 PM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    The reason I ask is there are a lot of dealerships out there that get you back in F&I and sell you up on extended warranties and a bunch of other options.

The issue I have with extended warranties is this: Admittedly this may not be your case but make sure you read the fine print on the extended warranty and make sure it doesn't run concurrently with your regular 3 yr bumper to bumper warranty. I've seen time and again where people buy a 5 year warranty only to find out they purchased a 2 yr warranty because the 5 yr warranty ran concurrently with the 3 yr warranty and not the 5yrs AFTER the original factory warranty expired. I've been back in F&I more times than I care to admit and unfortunately that is a common tactic they use to lift more money out of someone's pocket since that is where the profit is made on the back end.

If you're buying a used car (even a certified used car) then an extended warranty is definitely in order. I've never purchased a extended warranty because I tend to replace my vehicles every 3 yrs (or less) so it doesn't effect me. But I bought the Camry without an extended warranty for exactly the reason I pointed out above. It ran concurrently with the factory warranty. Just a heads up.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
  4. Aug 17, 2017 at 2:06 PM
    krap22

krap22 Well-Known Member

Member:
    This wasn't a concurrent warranty. It was more of an actual extension on the factory warranty, not a separate warranty. Still a way to look like they have a lower price. Since i'm going to keep it for so long, and with all of the electronics, i wanted to be protected.

5. Aug 17, 2017 at 2:14 PM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    Good deal. I've seen so many people get screwed by the tactic mentioned above. But if yours just extends the factory warranty on top of the 3 yr warranty and you plan on keeping the vehicle that long then that sounds like the right decision.

6. Aug 17, 2017 at 3:07 PM
    Blkvoodoo

Blkvoodoo a Hooka smoking caterpillar has given me the call

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Near Clayton NC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 DCSB, '97 4Runner SR5 5spd
    in the event that you're not able to realize the time of the warranty, ( car is totaled ) you may be able to cash out the unused time. it depends on the warranty and the way its written.
    We bought a "certified" '07 Camry SE in Nov of '07, 16k on odo, went i did get the extended warranty as i knew some of the earlier Camry's had transmission issues. Car was totaled almost 4 years to the day, with 72k, we got back $700ish from the warranty ( i was surprised, but they actually checked and admitted it when asked )

something to keep in mind

7. Aug 17, 2017 at 8:25 PM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    Oh... one thing that I forgot to mention and this has nothing to do with buying a car. There are two companies out there that completely stand by their products. I bought my wife a Fitbit Blaze the day it was release and that was over two years ago. She tried to charge it a few weeks ago and for some reason it got so hot that it burned the battery out of it. She called Fitbit and explained the situation to them and they sent her a prepaid box (no questions asked) and sent her a brand new one within a week. That is a company that completely stands behind their product. Very few of those types of companies left.

Now, I know I've been singing the praises of the Navdy unit I've got installed in my car. Navdy listens to their customers and at least every week they push out a new update to improve what is already an amazing product. A company that listens to their customers and actually make the changes that customers request is another company that should be noticed for their customer first attitude.

Hardscrabble likes this.
  8. Aug 17, 2017 at 8:51 PM
    CaptAmerica

CaptAmerica Asphalt Avenger! TTC#13

Member:
    First Name:
    Cap
    Austin TX
    Vehicle:
    Gen 2.9 DCLB TRD Sport w/tech
    Stickers and lots of wax
    Love my blaze. Bought a bunch of frames and have multiple bands for it.

9. Aug 20, 2017 at 6:03 AM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    Yea my wife loves hers also. She works out all the time and runs 6 miles almost everyday she isn't at the gym. She had a regular fitbit but when they came out with the Blaze she wanted that one because it does so much more. Not really sure what happened to it but we plugged it into her Mac and just one day it decided to overheat and burn the battery out of it after two years. She thought about getting an Apple watch which is one of the only things Apple makes that I have no desire for. But she called Fitbit and, no kidding, they asked her what happened to the watch and said "no problem, we'll send you a prepaid box and have a new out out to you in about a week". Now that to me is a stand up company to do something like that after two years with basically no questions asked.

CaptAmerica and wilcam47 like this.
  10. Aug 20, 2017 at 7:01 AM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    I need to ask you guys about kids. I ran into something that I haven't run into before with my daughter. All of you know about my daughter and how our relationship is with each other. The other day I picked her up from her dance team practice at school. She worries about EVERYTHING and started crying in the car that there are some kids on the dance team that either don't know the whole dance routine or don't care. Now I admire the fact that she's got it down (surprisingly since I've always said she can't dance). I told her "the only thing you can control is you and not them" "If they decide to half ass it then that is on them not you".

The issue is not the dance team. She is so tender hearted that she cries at the drop of a hat. If she even detects the slightest hint that my wife or I say anything in a tone of voice that she thinks we are getting on to her she'll start crying. In full disclosure I did get a little frustrated with her because she said she was stupid. Now, if there is one thing that I dislike is when she criticizes herself anytime something doesn't work out the way it should. But if there is one thing I hate is when she says she's stupid. She is not stupid at all. In fact it's quite the opposite. Now this is where I think I screwed up because I told her she has got to get out of this phase. She cannot cry or throw a fit anytime something doesn't go her way. I told her as she gets older and she keeps this up that eventually the kids at school will start making fun of her and if she still keeps this up once she works her way into the job force it will even be worse. I said it in a tone that obviously didn't sit well with her. I never raised my voice but I certainly could have phrased it better than I did. But I did make it worse even though I think it's a valid point.

Now this is the point that really pissed me off though I didn't say anything at the time (mostly because I didn't know the whole story). Apparently she went into her room and spiked her phone and completely ruined her phone which bent the back of the phone and cracked her screen so bad that it made the screen come off the the phone which made the phone unusable and unrepairable. I didn't learn this until the next day. I thought she set on it. We had bought her a case that should protect her phone but one of her friends gave her a case for her birthday that didn't protect her phone from shit. I told her that she shouldn't use that case because it won't protect anything. It wasn't until the next morning my wife told me exactly what had happened. After I learned that I was, to say the least, was pretty pissed that she ruined a $850 dollar phone. I don't buy our phones like most people do. I pay for them outright. My original thought was fuckit. She'll just have to put up with a Gophone. But in the end I went out and bought her another phone because she is a great kid and made a mistake. I gave it to her yesterday with the best otterbox that you can get. I told her I now know what happened the other night and this is the last time I'm doing this. She is not to take the phone out of the case under any circumstance and that she will never do what she did the night before. If she does she will get a Gophone or she will pay for a new iPhone herself. Now, I'm out another $850.

She is a great kid and she knows her mistake. I know she will never do that again. And to her credit she didn't cry. I realize this is a petty story but how do I keep her from crying and getting upset at the drop of a hat? I would like to say that it's a phase but she has done this since she was little with no sign of it letting up.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
  11. Aug 20, 2017 at 7:22 AM
    wilcam47

wilcam47 Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2000 Toyota Tacoma
    4 inch lift
    How old is she? Some may be hormones...some just needing to grow up a bit or there may be other causes. Im not a Doctor but if its something you think is not related to hormones or growing up maybe it wouldnt hurt to get her checked up. I am not saying your daughter is Bi-polar but Many people go un-diagnosed for this either through denial or lack of medical treatment. And if she takes tests and is not great. Im not a real advocate of throwing pharmaceuticals at people and seeing what helps but sometimes people do need medicine. Its better to know than to go un-diagnosed IMO.

I noticed my wife exhibited symptoms of Bi-polar for years and she would get angry and say she wasnt then recently her doc says we need to test you for bi-polar. Even the docs noticed she had symptoms. We are still waiting for her to take her tests...its a long process when dealing with VA

12. Aug 20, 2017 at 7:30 AM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    She's 12. I'm not saying that's not a possibility. My wife and I just that very morning had talked about putting her on something that will calm her down and make her not stress over the smallest things. But the thought of putting her on meds at this age just doesn't sit well with me. I don't know why but she just seems too young to do something like that to her. I don't want her to go through life having to rely on a med to get her through life.

When I was going through all my shit 6 years ago the Dr. put me on meds and I turned into a zombie and didn't care about anything. And I mean anything. I finally decided that I'd rather feel the pain rather than not feel anything at all. I'm certainly not saying that's not an option but it breaks my heart to even talk about something like that at this age. Now... this is just my personal opinion. I realize that some need the meds because they do help with certain disorders and that is wonderful. But the thought of putting my 12 year old daughter on meds at this age breaks my heart. But I may have to face that fact at sometime or another. I just don't know?

13. Aug 20, 2017 at 7:38 AM
    wilcam47

wilcam47 Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2000 Toyota Tacoma
    4 inch lift
    Well it just could be an age thing, but it doesnt hurt to get her at least tested/evaluated. Nothing wrong with doing that just you being a concerned parent...then you at least know whats going on and go from there. It may just be her needing to grow up a bit and her young age...but its worse if it goes untreated/undiagnosed and she actually needs medication.

14. Aug 20, 2017 at 7:41 AM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    Yeah, I completely understand what you're saying. Maybe she will grow out of this and hormones may be an issue. We all went through this at sometime or another (especially in school). But just the thought of taking her in for testing breaks my heart. But... you may be right and I might have to go that route at sometime.

15. Aug 20, 2017 at 7:56 AM
    VE7OSR

VE7OSR 'interfering with Natural Selection since 1990'

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob II
    Okanagan, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 DCLB TRD Sport
    Armour: All-Pro Skid plates - IFS, transmission, and transfer case. Pelfreybilt rear standard plate bumper, Metal Tech Sliders w/ kickout and dimple die filler plates. Front Suspension: OME 885 + NitroCharger 9000 shocks + 1/2" spacers for a 3" lift. Superbumps replacing stock bumpstops. Camburg ball joint UCA SS braid brake lines Future: ADS Extended length, extended length UCA BJ to increase droop capability Rear Suspension: All-Pro Expedition rear leafs, Walker Evans 27" rear shocks, extended rear brake lines (Wheelers Offroad), U -bolt flip kit, rear Timbren bumpstops. Future: Hammer Hangers, Shock relocate, ADS 12" or 14" shock. Interior: Weatherteck floor liners - front, Wet Okoles- front, ScanGauge, LED interior & map lights. Power moonroof. Exterior: Raider Cobra canopy, retrofit headlight by Insight, LED bulbs all around, modified flasher unit for LEDs. Rear diff breather mod. Front diff vibe problem, driver's side needle bearing replaced with ECGS bushing. yet to install: HID Blazer Fog Retrofit, LED Flood & Spot, + switches, fuse panel. swaybar relocate blocks (build my own)
    I'm not a parent. Only thing I can come up with:
    a) its okay to feel the emotions of frustration, sorrow, anger, etc.
    b) she gets to choose how to act on the emotions she feels, the emotions don't get to control her..... not easy to teach/learn.

jrjanusek, wilcam47 and jubei like this.
  16. Aug 20, 2017 at 8:02 AM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    I agree. School is hard sometimes. Sometimes downright foolish. I've tried for years to take her mind off of what sets her off and we have had long talks about it. But... the problem still remains. I agree that she gets to choose how to act on the emotions she feels. Getting to the part of the emotions don't control her but saying it and implementing seems to be harder than I expected. I suppose I need to work on my parenting skills even though I feel I'm doing something wrong.

wilcam47 likes this.
  17. Aug 20, 2017 at 8:18 AM
    VE7OSR

VE7OSR 'interfering with Natural Selection since 1990'

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob II
    Okanagan, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 DCLB TRD Sport
    Armour: All-Pro Skid plates - IFS, transmission, and transfer case. Pelfreybilt rear standard plate bumper, Metal Tech Sliders w/ kickout and dimple die filler plates. Front Suspension: OME 885 + NitroCharger 9000 shocks + 1/2" spacers for a 3" lift. Superbumps replacing stock bumpstops. Camburg ball joint UCA SS braid brake lines Future: ADS Extended length, extended length UCA BJ to increase droop capability Rear Suspension: All-Pro Expedition rear leafs, Walker Evans 27" rear shocks, extended rear brake lines (Wheelers Offroad), U -bolt flip kit, rear Timbren bumpstops. Future: Hammer Hangers, Shock relocate, ADS 12" or 14" shock. Interior: Weatherteck floor liners - front, Wet Okoles- front, ScanGauge, LED interior & map lights. Power moonroof. Exterior: Raider Cobra canopy, retrofit headlight by Insight, LED bulbs all around, modified flasher unit for LEDs. Rear diff breather mod. Front diff vibe problem, driver's side needle bearing replaced with ECGS bushing. yet to install: HID Blazer Fog Retrofit, LED Flood & Spot, + switches, fuse panel. swaybar relocate blocks (build my own)
    nothing seems off about your parenting at all. You've given her a fact, that people will interpret her emotional reactions as a 'weakness' of sorts, as wrong as it is. She shouldn't let that push her to change who she is - 'cause she can't it'll cause considerable mental stress. You love her for who she is, and sometimes needs reminders of what you see in her to build confidence 'cause kids are cruel, and often focus on tearing others around them down, to make themselves feel they are better.
    Hell, even adults do that to others around them.

wilcam47, RearViewMirror and jubei like this.
  18. Aug 20, 2017 at 10:14 AM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    Well... In the meantime I'm seriously thinking about buying this. She and I love astronomy and what better way to buy a 8-inch Schmidt-Cassegrain telescope that is computerized so it takes the entire guesswork out of what you want to see. Once it locks on it will track whatever you're looking at. If I decide to go through with it I'll need a T adapter for my camera. You can either lock onto the North Star or pick three stars with the finder scope which is just a red dot scope and it will lock on that way also. It has over 40,000 items you can look at so you'll have plenty to look at.

wilcam47 likes this.
  19. Aug 20, 2017 at 2:18 PM
    Hardscrabble

Hardscrabble Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    McDonough, GA
    Vehicle:
    '11 TM DCSB & '13 BRM regular cab
    Leather seats, WeatherTech's, Access LiteRider tonneau cover, extra D-rings in bed & tailgate. Pelley lightbar with Hella 700FF's. Temp./compass O/H console.
    @RearViewMirror -Hey Britt-in regards to your daughters behavior. I have a 16 year old daughter that is also very tender hearted, always has been. Behaved very similar to what you described with your daughter when she was younger. She would throw things when angered, cry when you used a harsh tone of voice towards her, and just let things bother her that she couldn't control.

Fortunately she is growing out of it. My wife and I have been working with her for years and she is getting much, much better. We have used encouragement and supportive methods. Breaking down situations and separating causes and effects. Always letting her know that she is loved. We did not do any meds, because neither of us wanted to go down that road.

FWIW, I believe that your daughter is just young and a lot is happening emotionally and physically at this time in her life. I sincerely believe that she will mature and grow past these issues with the support of you and your wife.

MQQSE, JaCado, jubei and 2 others like this.
  20. Aug 20, 2017 at 2:19 PM
    .jake

.jake I am expert

Member:
    619 & 480
    Vehicle:
    0x07E1 4x4 DCLB TRD Sport
    A new gasket and some nuts
    I have to tell you, I was the self-proclaimed leader of the anti-Apple fanboy movement. Apple TV, then another, then a few expresses, iPhone and well, all but a Mac at this point. I've really come around to their things, including the watch. Thought it was full on lame. Then my wife said she wanted one (ironically after her Fitbit died) so my daughter and I ventured into the Apple Store to buy it. Kind of a blind purchase, really, knowing so little about it. I had the 15 year old skinny jeans kid give me a demo.... we left with two. It really is that good. In typical Apple style it integrates so tightly with iOS. It's a piece of me that I rely on quite a bit.

Products Discussed in

To Top