1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

"40's & 50's" Midlife crisis/GTFO my lawn thread.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Matic, Jun 18, 2011.

1. Dec 6, 2017 at 5:13 AM
    RearViewMirror

RearViewMirror Saw things so much clearer once you... were in my

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB 4X4 TRD Off Road *Sold*
    I just found out my car has a built in wireless charging pad built into it the other day and didn't even know it. I was changing out my usb stick with new music and noticed a qi wireless charging button and then the pad next to it. I never paid attention to it before. I knew the car was loaded with every option available but didn't know it had that. It's concealed behind a flip up door right in front of the gear selector and I just assumed it was a place for the usb stick, charging port, and storage. I powered on the charger and put the phone on the pad (which fits perfectly I might add) and it started charging. Since I've got the Navdy Unit on the dash I never need to look at my phone since when a call or text comes in it shows up on the heads up display and I can answer a call or respond to texts just with a push of a button on the steering wheel. So that was a very cool surprise.

.劉煒, medic2230 and dziner like this.
  2. Dec 6, 2017 at 5:15 AM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
  3. Dec 6, 2017 at 5:23 AM
    Sammie

Sammie Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    De
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 BBP Tacoma Limited
    I have them and like them a lot. Was really surprised with the range they have.

medic2230 likes this.
  4. Dec 6, 2017 at 5:29 AM
    medic2230

medic2230 @Koditten Pirate Radio member #002

Member:
    First Name:
    Murph
    Bama! Roll Tide
    Vehicle:
    2011 Taco 4x4 DCLB
    20% Tint, OME 3"complete lift with Dakar's, Light Racing UCA's, 285/75/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers, 10 HP TW sticker, Ultraguage, B.A.M.F. Rock Sliders, MedicFab Bed Rack, Relentless front bumper, Air Flow Snorkel, Ham comms, Tech Deck
  5. Dec 6, 2017 at 5:30 AM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    Not being critical but I'd find myself looking silly with Apple earphones sticking out of my ear without a cord. I dunno... for some reason they just look funny to me. I know Apple earphones sound really good considering they are packaged with the iPhone but I never use them anymore. Apple did their homework with how the headphones fit in your ear (corded or not) and the sound is surprisingly good. I just can't get past the fact that it looks like someone cut the cord (essentially they did) but left the earphones in your ear. If they were black I might feel a little more comfortable with them. One of the reasons I like the Senso's is it makes them harder to lose and they wrap over the top of your ear which makes them damn near impossible for them to come out. Add to that, the sound is amazing for the price. Like I mentioned before. I've got a set of Bowers & Wilkins and I've never been so unimpressed with the sound of an expensive set of headphones. I hate them and never use them.

6. Dec 6, 2017 at 5:33 AM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    Highly recommend the ones I linked. They are the exact same size as the phone. When you set the phone on the charger, the charger lights up for about 5 secs to let you know it's charging and then turns off the light so it doesn't stay on while you are sleeping. That said, if you're looking to charge multiple things (like an Apple watch) then this isn't the item for you.

7. Dec 6, 2017 at 5:51 AM
    Sammie

Sammie Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    De
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 BBP Tacoma Limited

I completely understand what you’re saying. If I wear them at work, I can only have one in because I still have to hear what’s going on around me. I’ve had a co worker tell me it looks stupid. I simply don’t care.

8. Dec 6, 2017 at 5:55 AM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    I agree. Caring what others think about what you look like while wearing headphones "shouldn't" be an issue. I suppose I'm just vain and they just weren't for me :oops:

Sammie likes this.
  9. Dec 6, 2017 at 5:57 AM
    HomerTaco

HomerTaco TOYWERX Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Bucks County Pa.
    Vehicle:
    four sticks, dual cases, zero fucks...
    Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill with 12-15 front-end swap/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad mini / Safari Snorkel / Auto-pilot mode / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust re-route / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift / Inchworm 4.7 crawlbox / twin stick FJ t-case / Davez off-road triple-stick kit/
    I’m Disney’ed out.

wdb, G.T. and Sammie like this.
  10. Dec 6, 2017 at 5:58 AM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    Lol... I'm Disney'ed out for ya brother. Hope the pain ends soon.

11. Dec 6, 2017 at 6:05 AM
    HomerTaco

HomerTaco TOYWERX Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Bucks County Pa.
    Vehicle:
    four sticks, dual cases, zero fucks...
    Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill with 12-15 front-end swap/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad mini / Safari Snorkel / Auto-pilot mode / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust re-route / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift / Inchworm 4.7 crawlbox / twin stick FJ t-case / Davez off-road triple-stick kit/
    There were some great moments. Today is the last day.
    I’d be perfectly fine not doing this again.

jubei, RearViewMirror and G.T. like this.
  12. Dec 6, 2017 at 7:50 AM
    TenBeers

TenBeers Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Pro Cavalry Blue
    CBI bed rack and sliders, CVT Mt. Bachelor, Uniden 520XL, WeatherTechs, TRD CAI, 1Up USA hitch rack, speaker upgrade, Total Chaos bed stiffeners
    Well dagnammit, gotta replace my center support bearing this weekend. Was feeling a bit of a clunk occasionally when it was shifting, maybe started 6 months ago but not all the time. Wiggled it and it seemed a bit loose (not on the bearing itself, just the rubber carrier), but really hard to tell with the rubber thing how much it should actually flex, it's supposed to flex. This morning I got the full shudder under acceleration, I guess the cold weather did the rubber in. I kinda knew there was something going on, just thought maybe axle wrap. Will do u-joints at the same time since I effed up on the maintenance schedule (thought greasing was every 30k, but it's 15k -- they seem fine, but while I have things apart I might as well, they are only 15 bucks). Was supposed to head back to the old house in MO this weekend to pick up some crap my wife ordered and had sent to our old address (furniture, too expensive to have it re-shipped, and need to clear out some paint cans anyway). Maybe I'll just drive her new 4Runner . . . nah, she'll make me drive the old one. Maybe I'll make my daughter drive us to get some highway miles in . . .

13. Dec 6, 2017 at 9:17 AM
    CaptAmerica

CaptAmerica Asphalt Avenger! TTC#13

Member:
    First Name:
    Cap
    Austin TX
    Vehicle:
    Gen 2.9 DCLB TRD Sport w/tech
    Stickers and lots of wax
    Went to visit my parents this weekend as a birthday surprise to my mom. She was surprised - totally flipped when I rolled up. Mission accomplished.

Sister (47, single, one cat) confessed to being $19,000+ in debt and doesn't know how she can pay it. She's less than 7 years from her last bankruptcy. I told her she needs to pay her bills, and that "this is the last time I give you money" still applies from the last time I gave her money. She also can't account for about six grand; nothing she can sell, it was for tickets and shows and movies and crap. Ugh.

There are other things at play that I won't go in to, but at what point is enough enough? I won't bail you out anymore - you got into a jam, get your own ass out of it. You're an adult - be an adult.

wilcam47, .劉煒 and 98tacoma27 like this.
  14. Dec 6, 2017 at 9:51 AM
    krap22

krap22 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Funny I had a very similar talk with Noah last night. At least he is only 18. 47 and not able to figure it out? Bailing them out doesn't help.

I know a guy in his 60s like that. He was a bankruptcy trustee too. He could tell others how to spend their money, but couldn't figure out how to spend his money wisely.

wdb and 98tacoma27 like this.
  15. Dec 6, 2017 at 9:55 AM
    TenBeers

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    CBI bed rack and sliders, CVT Mt. Bachelor, Uniden 520XL, WeatherTechs, TRD CAI, 1Up USA hitch rack, speaker upgrade, Total Chaos bed stiffeners
    I'm not sure why they call it "tough love" -- but it's both tough to give and tough to receive. Takes a lot more out of the person giving it, benefits the person receiving it. Some people have a hard time understanding that if you can't pay cash for it you probably shouldn't buy it. Other than maybe house and cars, as long as the payment is considered in your budget and you can afford your budget. Lots of people are just really bad at budgeting, and instant gratification seems to be built into human nature.

As a teenager I was on the receiving end of it once and it really affected my life. I had multiple part-time jobs, one at the pipe and tobacco store at the mall in the evenings. The owners counted on me to be there and trusted me to run the store (at 17), but I was consistently a little late -- 10, maybe 15 minutes. I didn't think it was a big deal. The owners were like second parents to me, their daughter like a little sister. He fired me with a tear in his eye. I was shocked, but most of all finally came to realize that those 15 minutes were important to him and his wife and family -- I was making them late to appointments, late to church or whatever. And worst of all, I hurt someone I cared about by making them do something very difficult but necessary. That was when I stopped being a self-centered teenage jackass. Well, I am sure I had moments.

jubei likes this.
  16. Dec 6, 2017 at 2:24 PM
    TenBeers

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    Whew, all parts for my weekend driveshaft refresh will be here before the weekend. Including the dang dealer-part nut for the driveshaft flange, local dealer will have it on Friday. But I have no workshop, need a bench to attach my vise to . . . haven't needed it since Texas, where I had an awesome outdoor shade tree work area.

17. Dec 6, 2017 at 2:56 PM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    Well, at least it should be a relatively easy fix so you've got that going for ya.

Awesome on the surprise to your Mom! Well done :)

As far as the money situation goes I'm willing to help one time but that's it. I don't care if it's family or not. If I help out a friend I don't look at it as a loan. I look at it as a gift and if I get paid back then that's fine. But nothing will ruin a friendship faster than if someone thinks that they owe you (which they do but it's not worth losing a friendship over). People make mistakes in life and sometimes they need to learn the hard way. But with that said... they need to learn. If they think they are going to get a bail out each time they get into financial trouble then it just turns into a viscous cycle.

I honestly don't know what happened to me when I was growing up in high school and college. No one taught me how to manage money (except for the business degree that I received). But even before then my credit was one of the most important things to me. My parents never taught me about credit or how important it is to your daily life. My credit is something I guard with my life and always has been. When I go in to buy a new vehicle I always work on the price that I want to pay for the vehicle and never work from a monthly payment point of view. The monthly payment will take care of itself. And I WILL NOT let them pull my credit until a deal is reached. My credit is well over 800 and I let them know that going in. If they want to pull my credit I won't let them. I'll just tell them if it's not what I say it is then you can re-negotiate the deal.

That's another reason we only carry an American Express card. I HAVE to pay it off each month since you can not carry a balance on it. So we have no credit card debt.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  18. Dec 6, 2017 at 4:23 PM
    G.T.

G.T. Official TW Burrito Inspector

Member:
    First Name:
    G.T.
    CONUS
    Vehicle:
    2011 Pyrite Mica 4WD DCLB TRDSport w/ FlipPac
    Some stick on chrome from pep boys
    Appletv folks, Amazon Prime video app now available for install. Very stoked about this one.

RearViewMirror likes this.
  19. Dec 7, 2017 at 6:42 AM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    Good deal. Now I can watch the Grand Tour on the TV. Now if they would just put Cinemax app on there I'd be set. I have to Air Play it through my phone to the TV.

20. Dec 7, 2017 at 6:43 AM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    Morning all :wave:

Hope all are well.

medic2230 likes this.