1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

"40's & 50's" Midlife crisis/GTFO my lawn thread.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Matic, Jun 18, 2011.

1. Jan 1, 2018 at 7:44 AM
    wdb

wdb intolerance intolerant

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    the perimeter
    Vehicle:
    plain jane
    Hella 4000 eurobeams, Amp Bed Step, IamMrYo mirror riser, Wet Okoles, HomerTaco satoshi, retrofit intermittent wipers & backup camera
    Twen-ty-se-ven-teen

Twen-ty-eigh-teen

Lost a syllable - that's a good thing! Happy New Year.

Bastek, Hardscrabble and Cuffs like this.
  2. Jan 1, 2018 at 8:01 AM
    TenBeers

TenBeers Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Pro Cavalry Blue
    CBI bed rack and sliders, CVT Mt. Bachelor, Uniden 520XL, WeatherTechs, TRD CAI, 1Up USA hitch rack, speaker upgrade, Total Chaos bed stiffeners
    Happy New Year! Wishing health and happiness to all.

You northern guys need to take back your weather. 1 degree this morning. Me no likey.

3. Jan 1, 2018 at 8:08 AM
    wdb

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    the perimeter
    Vehicle:
    plain jane
    Hella 4000 eurobeams, Amp Bed Step, IamMrYo mirror riser, Wet Okoles, HomerTaco satoshi, retrofit intermittent wipers & backup camera
    We had negative numbers last night coming back from the NYE get-together.

It's funny how things work out sometimes. We wound up with a surplus of firewood this year because a big old oak died. I'm tossing logs in the stove without the slightest worry that I'll run out.

wilcam47 and Cuffs like this.
  4. Jan 1, 2018 at 11:37 AM
    VE7OSR

VE7OSR 'interfering with Natural Selection since 1990'

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob II
    Okanagan, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 DCLB TRD Sport
    Armour: All-Pro Skid plates - IFS, transmission, and transfer case. Pelfreybilt rear standard plate bumper, Metal Tech Sliders w/ kickout and dimple die filler plates. Front Suspension: OME 885 + NitroCharger 9000 shocks + 1/2" spacers for a 3" lift. Superbumps replacing stock bumpstops. Camburg ball joint UCA SS braid brake lines Future: ADS Extended length, extended length UCA BJ to increase droop capability Rear Suspension: All-Pro Expedition rear leafs, Walker Evans 27" rear shocks, extended rear brake lines (Wheelers Offroad), U -bolt flip kit, rear Timbren bumpstops. Future: Hammer Hangers, Shock relocate, ADS 12" or 14" shock. Interior: Weatherteck floor liners - front, Wet Okoles- front, ScanGauge, LED interior & map lights. Power moonroof. Exterior: Raider Cobra canopy, retrofit headlight by Insight, LED bulbs all around, modified flasher unit for LEDs. Rear diff breather mod. Front diff vibe problem, driver's side needle bearing replaced with ECGS bushing. yet to install: HID Blazer Fog Retrofit, LED Flood & Spot, + switches, fuse panel. swaybar relocate blocks (build my own)
    I get to play one of the safety dudes watching over folks jump into a lake on a 10F day at least I'll be on a drysuit.

wdb and Cuffs like this.
  5. Jan 1, 2018 at 12:06 PM
    wdb

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    the perimeter
    Vehicle:
    plain jane
    I think you posted pictures of that once here.

6. Jan 7, 2018 at 4:09 AM
    RearViewMirror

RearViewMirror Saw things so much clearer once you... were in my

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB 4X4 TRD Off Road *Sold*
  7. Jan 7, 2018 at 5:57 AM
    TenBeers

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    CBI bed rack and sliders, CVT Mt. Bachelor, Uniden 520XL, WeatherTechs, TRD CAI, 1Up USA hitch rack, speaker upgrade, Total Chaos bed stiffeners
    chirp . . . . chirp . . . . . chirp

8. Jan 7, 2018 at 6:04 AM
    StainlessSteelRatt

StainlessSteelRatt Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRDOR DCSB 4X4
    Icon, SPC, Dakar, Mobtown
  9. Jan 7, 2018 at 6:58 AM
    TenBeers

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    I'll bite. Good morning, folks. Still getting the Pro where I want it. OEM mud guards and roof rack installed. 3rd gen mud guards are not as big and flimsy as 2nd gen and cost about the same as Husky and other brands. I like the Pro floor mats (they say Pro, bro), but will probably go Weathertech at some point.

When I built my tent rack, I put an LED 3rd brake light on it for safety, not sure what states might require one but wanted one anyway (JC Whitney to the rescue). On my old truck, I tapped into the rear harness directly, but I didn't want to do that on this truck (plus I was having trouble making sense of the wiring diagram and wasn't sure I would find the correct wire). So, I was looking at a way to use one of the trailer plugs (it has both 7-pin and 4-pin). Sounds easy, right? Well, not really -- you only want the 3rd light to be on when you hit the brake, not when your turn signals are on, and not on when the headlights are on. Standard US trailer plug wiring does not lend itself to a direct wiring method that will achieve this, although it looks like if I was in Australia it would be an option.

I did a little bit of Googling and some of my computer science training came back to me. I needed an AND gate! Duh. Went by AutoZone and picked up a couple of relays and some wiring bits. Using the AUX power pin, ground, and the two signal/stop lines, I wired up the relays in sequence so the 3rd light only gets power when BOTH brake/signal lights are on. Basically the first relay doesn't get tripped unless LT is on, and it provides power to the next relay. The second relay only gets tripped when RT is on, but won't trip unless LT has already provided power. Power is coming from AUX, so the LT and RT circuits are only providing the signal to the relays, no extra load, although that wouldn't be a problem with the LEDs anyway. Pretty cool, huh?

But wait . . . after doing all this, I realized something. It's all fine and dandy if you are just hitting the brakes. But if you have the brake on AND a turn signal on, the 3rd light is going to flash along with the turn signal! Dang it. When it warms up I will figure out the right wires to tap into. Probably not a big deal to have it blinking along with the turn signal, but I am too OCD.

The LED bed lighting apparently comes with a lot of extra wire length. Holy crap, there was a huge bundle of extra wire zip tied up under there.

Hope everyone is doing well and staying warm.

sandjunkie and wdb like this.
  10. Jan 7, 2018 at 7:01 AM
    coma toy

coma toy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bought a 2 seater convertible sports car in my 40's. Now that I'm in my 50's, I buy a Tacoma!

And I don't even need a truck!!!! :bananadance:

Cuffs and wilcam47 like this.
  11. Jan 7, 2018 at 7:10 AM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
  12. Jan 7, 2018 at 7:13 AM
    TenBeers

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    Nice! I bought tuition and books.

coma toy likes this.
  13. Jan 7, 2018 at 2:47 PM
    wdb

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    the perimeter
    Vehicle:
    plain jane
    I bought a shower door. The installer is getting paid soon -- ribs and roasted red potatoes are underway. :D :D :D

wilcam47 likes this.
  14. Jan 7, 2018 at 2:51 PM
    wdb

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    the perimeter
    Vehicle:
    plain jane
    Dude wtf. If you don't need a truck then go get another toy! What is wrong with you?!?

Oh and please share your opinion on hummingbirds. (Are we still doing that?)

coma toy likes this.
  15. Jan 7, 2018 at 7:49 PM
    medic2230

medic2230 @Koditten Pirate Radio member #002

Member:
    First Name:
    Murph
    Bama! Roll Tide
    Vehicle:
    2011 Taco 4x4 DCLB
    20% Tint, OME 3"complete lift with Dakar's, Light Racing UCA's, 285/75/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers, 10 HP TW sticker, Ultraguage, B.A.M.F. Rock Sliders, MedicFab Bed Rack, Relentless front bumper, Air Flow Snorkel, Ham comms, Tech Deck
    :wave:

I bought a few more patches to go on my headliner. :anonymous:

16. Jan 8, 2018 at 6:14 AM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    Well shit....

After singing the praises of the Navdy unit in my car for the last year it has now come to a crashing end. There is nothing wrong with the unit itself but rather the company. It seems Navdy is either near bankruptcy or is liquidating all its assets. They have started the Proof of Claim process and it doesn't look bright for the future of this great item.

This item has been one of the best items I've bought in the last year and truly made driving fun. Literally having all the information right in your line of sight without having to take your eyes off the road was amazing. It is truly one of the best thought out units that you can buy. But.... after I bought the iPhone X and updated it to IOS 11.2.1 (BTW it doesn't matter which iPhone you have it's the OS update) it will no longer connect via bluetooth (which is how the unit connected to certain functions of the vehicle). Same issue is starting to arise with Android users also as updates to their OS comes out. So I'm left with only one option right now which is to roll back my phone to the previous update which I'm not willing to do.

Basically the Navdy uses OBII to connect to the vehicle to monitor all diagnostics (which works perfectly). Everything else is handed to the app which controls part of the map (it uses its own built in gps and google maps overlay for real time traffic) and all of the phone, texts, contacts, music, etc. It uses two bluetooth connections but now refuses to connect to one of the two making the unit useless for making calls, texts, music, etc. The only function that works is the map function but you can no longer use or hear voice commands since that portion of the app is handled by the second bluetooth connection which will no longer connect. Everytime you start the car it gives an error message stating that "The Navdy App is not running" which in fact it is.

This is the response I received after numerous attempts at contacting the company. It should also be noted that Navdy originally had their own forum section set up on their site but have since removed it.

Hey there,

Thanks for writing in.

Currently, there are no updates planned for the Navdy software. This means that issues which may exist today will persist indefinitely.

So as each phone maker continues to update their OS the Navdy will become more and more less useful. So in the end... I hope none of you bought into the company. I certainly don't mind being the guinea pig and it was wonderful while it lasted. But unless something happens in the near future, It looks like the end for Navdy. What I find extremely disturbing is they are still selling their stock but not telling the customers about this information. So they will spend $400 for a product that will not work as expected.

17. Jan 8, 2018 at 7:48 AM
    HomerTaco

HomerTaco TOYWERX Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Bucks County Pa.
    Vehicle:
    four sticks, dual cases, zero fucks...
    Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill with 12-15 front-end swap/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad mini / Safari Snorkel / Auto-pilot mode / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust re-route / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift / Inchworm 4.7 crawlbox / twin stick FJ t-case / Davez off-road triple-stick kit/
    That sucks! this was on my short list too. :pout:

18. Jan 8, 2018 at 7:52 AM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    I'm just glad I could get the info out before anyone jumped on it. Up until August they were constantly updating it but then it just stopped. Now it appears they have no intention of doing any further updates so with each new OS update on whichever phone you use, it will become less useful or not even work at all.

HomerTaco likes this.
  19. Jan 8, 2018 at 7:59 AM
    HomerTaco

HomerTaco TOYWERX Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Bucks County Pa.
    Vehicle:
    four sticks, dual cases, zero fucks...
    Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill with 12-15 front-end swap/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad mini / Safari Snorkel / Auto-pilot mode / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust re-route / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift / Inchworm 4.7 crawlbox / twin stick FJ t-case / Davez off-road triple-stick kit/
    Well, I appreciate the heads up. :thumbsup:

20. Jan 8, 2018 at 8:44 AM
    VE7OSR

VE7OSR 'interfering with Natural Selection since 1990'

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob II
    Okanagan, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 DCLB TRD Sport
    Armour: All-Pro Skid plates - IFS, transmission, and transfer case. Pelfreybilt rear standard plate bumper, Metal Tech Sliders w/ kickout and dimple die filler plates. Front Suspension: OME 885 + NitroCharger 9000 shocks + 1/2" spacers for a 3" lift. Superbumps replacing stock bumpstops. Camburg ball joint UCA SS braid brake lines Future: ADS Extended length, extended length UCA BJ to increase droop capability Rear Suspension: All-Pro Expedition rear leafs, Walker Evans 27" rear shocks, extended rear brake lines (Wheelers Offroad), U -bolt flip kit, rear Timbren bumpstops. Future: Hammer Hangers, Shock relocate, ADS 12" or 14" shock. Interior: Weatherteck floor liners - front, Wet Okoles- front, ScanGauge, LED interior & map lights. Power moonroof. Exterior: Raider Cobra canopy, retrofit headlight by Insight, LED bulbs all around, modified flasher unit for LEDs. Rear diff breather mod. Front diff vibe problem, driver's side needle bearing replaced with ECGS bushing. yet to install: HID Blazer Fog Retrofit, LED Flood & Spot, + switches, fuse panel. swaybar relocate blocks (build my own)
    re: Navdy going broke - During receivership, there is a good chance their intellectual property will be bought up, as a way for the initial investors to recoup some of their money. Don’t throw the unit out just yet, it might get resurrected, but will probably take a year to two years before it does. #startupfinancinggames

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
    RearViewMirror and robssol like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top