1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

"40's & 50's" Midlife crisis/GTFO my lawn thread.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Matic, Jun 18, 2011.

1. Jan 19, 2018 at 10:45 AM
    Cuffs

Cuffs Well-Known Member

Member:
    Zion NP, formerly of Yosemite NP
    Vehicle:
    2016 Inferno TRD OR 4x4 DCSB
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
  2. Jan 19, 2018 at 10:49 AM
    RearViewMirror

RearViewMirror Saw things so much clearer once you... were in my

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB 4X4 TRD Off Road *Sold*
    Oh... I got my results back yesterday about my thyroid and it seems the Dr. can't do anything about it. When I went back my Thyroid levels were perfect. But the issues is it seems that my thyroid is going to fluctuate between low and high and there is no pill for that. If it goes back to high then I'll lose weight like I did a year or so ago. So if he puts me on pills for that they will only work for a time being. Same if it goes low. So he is at a loss right now as he hasn't seen anything like this before. Luckily I don't have cancer. Just a fucked up Thyroid.

HomerTaco, 98tacoma27 and medic2230 like this.
  3. Jan 19, 2018 at 10:55 AM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    I've been Atheist since the age of 14. I've read the bible from cover to cover many times. Hell... I can still recite every book of the bible verbatim along with hundreds of verses and the chapter an verse. I won't go into how the bible advocates slavery, the discrimination of women, etc... but that wasn't what made me an Atheist. It's a 2000 year old book that is full of stories that in true reality 1: could never happen and 2: make no sense. I could go on and on but this is not the place. My wife is more agnostic.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
    Cuffs likes this.
  4. Jan 19, 2018 at 11:02 AM
    G.T.

G.T. Official TW Burrito Inspector

Member:
    First Name:
    G.T.
    CONUS
    Vehicle:
    2011 Pyrite Mica 4WD DCLB TRDSport w/ FlipPac
    Some stick on chrome from pep boys
    Study Norse mythology and then reflect on other more recent religions.

5. Jan 19, 2018 at 11:09 AM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    @Cuffs

If you ever get a chance... Either read the God Delusion by Richard Dawkins or if you don't have time then this video is well worth a watch. I believe (along with him) that religion is a brain virus. I think part of this is because I was fortunate to live in the age of reason. I've noticed that people that were brought up in a church tend to stay with that church (especially in rural areas). Add that to the older generations that didn't have the ability to search for the truth that is right at our fingertips now. The information explosion led to information that was previously inaccessible accessable to the masses. What you choose to do with that information is your choice. As science moves further forward I "personally" believe that there will be no use for a higher being in years to come.

Cuffs likes this.
  6. Jan 19, 2018 at 11:15 AM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    Most of my life has been dedicated to studying the roots of belief. Why we believe what we believe and how that came to be. I've studied "almost" every religion out there. I've still have a long way to go but it is of great interest to me.

VE7OSR likes this.
  7. Jan 19, 2018 at 12:08 PM
    TenBeers

TenBeers Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Pro Cavalry Blue
    CBI bed rack and sliders, CVT Mt. Bachelor, Uniden 520XL, WeatherTechs, TRD CAI, 1Up USA hitch rack, speaker upgrade, Total Chaos bed stiffeners
    I liked the first Zeitgeist movie, gets a little crazy, but interesting and covers the connections of more than one ancient myth to current day religions.

http://www.zeitgeistmovie.com/

I dislike structured religions, although I understand they are good for some people and have no issue with people that need them. I think the Buddhist way of thinking most closely aligns to mine. So I don't know what I am. I think just the idea of being conscious of what is around you is wondrous in itself, not to mention all the complexities that make this up from our various senses and minds. I don't think something this complex could happen just by chance. I do believe that what religions teach is good, and I try to live by the Golden Rule myself just because it is the right way to live, not due to some vague promise of heaven or threat of hell.

String Theory and the multiverse makes all of this even more interesting, and somewhat aligns to the Hindu religion. Many possible futures and pasts exist, including ones without us. I read a book called Anathem (fiction) that was really cool and kind of explained the concept. It's hard to wrap your head around. Anyway, if you are into geeky stuff, Neal Stephenson has some really good books.

Britt, I guess I am glad to hear results are normal this time around? Hopefully they will check you regularly. Wondering if it was just a fluke.

8. Jan 19, 2018 at 12:52 PM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    I go in every three months for the rest of my life. The did find nodules on my thyroid but nothing to be concerned about yet. Thanks :)

9. Jan 19, 2018 at 6:43 PM
    wdb

wdb intolerance intolerant

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    the perimeter
    Vehicle:
    plain jane
    Hella 4000 eurobeams, Amp Bed Step, IamMrYo mirror riser, Wet Okoles, HomerTaco satoshi, retrofit intermittent wipers & backup camera
    Did someone mention pirates?

10. Jan 19, 2018 at 6:49 PM
    StainlessSteelRatt

StainlessSteelRatt Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRDOR DCSB 4X4
    Icon, SPC, Dakar, Mobtown
    It sounds like some of you guys would enjoy Joseph Campbell's "The Power of Myth"

Campbell wrote a lot of cool stuff on comparative mythology and comparative religion, I thought it was a pretty fascinating read.

11. Jan 19, 2018 at 7:05 PM
    TenBeers

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    CBI bed rack and sliders, CVT Mt. Bachelor, Uniden 520XL, WeatherTechs, TRD CAI, 1Up USA hitch rack, speaker upgrade, Total Chaos bed stiffeners
    Joseph Campbell rocks -- and was a Catholic as well, but you wouldn't guess that from his material. My wife took a course that was basically a bunch of videos of his lectures. I got to play along for free, but no college credit.

StainlessSteelRatt likes this.
  12. Jan 19, 2018 at 7:06 PM
    TenBeers

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    That was your 3000th post. AAAARGH

wdb, StainlessSteelRatt and Cuffs like this.
  13. Jan 19, 2018 at 7:32 PM
    HomerTaco

HomerTaco TOYWERX Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Bucks County Pa.
    Vehicle:
    four sticks, dual cases, zero fucks...
    Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill with 12-15 front-end swap/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad mini / Safari Snorkel / Auto-pilot mode / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust re-route / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift / Inchworm 4.7 crawlbox / twin stick FJ t-case / Davez off-road triple-stick kit/
    I’ve pretty much always been of this mindset: believe in whatever you want, as long as you’re not harming anyone else.

Personally, I believe in a “higher power” but I don’t believe I need to go to a special place on a certain day to explore or broaden that belief.

For the folks that do, more power to ya. :thumbsup:

14. Jan 19, 2018 at 7:57 PM
    TenBeers

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    I get to drive to Fayetteville tomorrow and fix a 1998 Subaru. Yay.

Cuffs likes this.
  15. Jan 19, 2018 at 9:11 PM
    TenBeers

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    Picked up an antenna today. Here in metropolitan Bentonville, AR, I can get 7 channels OTA with the antenna indoors. Only major network I don't get is ABC. Others come in crystal clear in HD. That's not a lot, but it's most of what I was shooting for. May try moving it to the roof eventually and adding an amplifier -- house is wired for DirecTV, so most of the wiring is done. But, in this area, it's doubtful I will get significantly more channels, so we'll see.

One of the local channels I get was showing Soap. Remember that show? So funny.

HomerTaco likes this.
  16. Jan 20, 2018 at 3:43 AM
    HomerTaco

HomerTaco TOYWERX Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Bucks County Pa.
    Vehicle:
    four sticks, dual cases, zero fucks...
    Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill with 12-15 front-end swap/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad mini / Safari Snorkel / Auto-pilot mode / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust re-route / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift / Inchworm 4.7 crawlbox / twin stick FJ t-case / Davez off-road triple-stick kit/
    I hate not being able to “sleep in” on a weekend morning. :annoyed:

Nowhere to be but here doing my thing at home & I can’t start this early or I’d wake up the family.

:sawzall::welder::smash:

wilcam47 likes this.
  17. Jan 20, 2018 at 6:44 AM
    wdb

wdb intolerance intolerant

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    the perimeter
    Vehicle:
    plain jane
    Hella 4000 eurobeams, Amp Bed Step, IamMrYo mirror riser, Wet Okoles, HomerTaco satoshi, retrofit intermittent wipers & backup camera
    And this'll be my 3001st! Take *that* me hardies! AAAARRRGGGHHHH

wilcam47 likes this.
  18. Jan 20, 2018 at 8:07 AM
    wilcam47

wilcam47 Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2000 Toyota Tacoma
    4 inch lift
    Up at my normal time...around 8am;) wife is still sleeping...

19. Jan 20, 2018 at 10:23 AM
    TenBeers

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    Well, I got up and drove to Fayetteville to attempt a parking lot vehicle repair. The '98 Subaru will need to go to the shop. It needs a new radiator, and nobody stocks them locally. It's my daughter's roommate's car or I would order one and do it myself.

20. Jan 20, 2018 at 10:59 AM
    VE7OSR

VE7OSR 'interfering with Natural Selection since 1990'

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob II
    Okanagan, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 DCLB TRD Sport
    Armour: All-Pro Skid plates - IFS, transmission, and transfer case. Pelfreybilt rear standard plate bumper, Metal Tech Sliders w/ kickout and dimple die filler plates. Front Suspension: OME 885 + NitroCharger 9000 shocks + 1/2" spacers for a 3" lift. Superbumps replacing stock bumpstops. Camburg ball joint UCA SS braid brake lines Future: ADS Extended length, extended length UCA BJ to increase droop capability Rear Suspension: All-Pro Expedition rear leafs, Walker Evans 27" rear shocks, extended rear brake lines (Wheelers Offroad), U -bolt flip kit, rear Timbren bumpstops. Future: Hammer Hangers, Shock relocate, ADS 12" or 14" shock. Interior: Weatherteck floor liners - front, Wet Okoles- front, ScanGauge, LED interior & map lights. Power moonroof. Exterior: Raider Cobra canopy, retrofit headlight by Insight, LED bulbs all around, modified flasher unit for LEDs. Rear diff breather mod. Front diff vibe problem, driver's side needle bearing replaced with ECGS bushing. yet to install: HID Blazer Fog Retrofit, LED Flood & Spot, + switches, fuse panel. swaybar relocate blocks (build my own)
    Hanging out at a cabin with friends for the weekend. Plenty of snow.IMG_20180120_104236.jpgIMG_20180120_104302_hdr.jpg

20180121_134942.jpg
    20180120_154432.jpg
    20180120_154951.jpg

robssol, Cuffs, sandjunkie and 7 others like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top