1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

"40's & 50's" Midlife crisis/GTFO my lawn thread.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Matic, Jun 18, 2011.

1. Mar 6, 2018 at 7:42 AM
    wilcam47

wilcam47 Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Idaho
    New roof is almost expected when buying an older home. Least it would be for me ;)

RearViewMirror likes this.
  2. Mar 6, 2018 at 7:43 AM
    StZu

StZu Where the White Women At?

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Dallas Texas
    Vehicle:
    18 Super White TRD Offroad
    Level 8 Wheels, 1" spacer front, plastidip rear bumper, AC drain hose relocation
    Here in Texas, we get a new roof every 2 years. It is a state law that they cant raise your rates due to hail damage.

RearViewMirror and wilcam47 like this.
  3. Mar 6, 2018 at 7:47 AM
    wilcam47

Member:
    North Idaho
    Prob not a bad thing there;)

4. Mar 6, 2018 at 7:50 AM
    RearViewMirror

RearViewMirror Saw things so much clearer once you... were in my

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB 4X4 TRD Off Road *Sold*
    Exactly. I know if I were buying a 17 year old home that has the original roof "I'd" want a new roof in the sale. I expect nothing less from someone buying our house. And 17 years it's about time for a new roof even though our roof still looks new right now. As long as it doesn't leak in the next four years I'm good.

Wish we had that here. It's just a matter of time before we get a storm that does something. In 2008 we had a tornado hit directly across the street from our house and take the roofs off the houses starting 2 houses down from us. We got no damage at all but it was pretty scary looking out the window and seeing a tornado spinning across the street. We put in a safe room right after that since our house is nothing but a big balloon due to its open floor plan. We had nowhere to hide when the tornado came through and now we do.

wilcam47 likes this.
  5. Mar 6, 2018 at 7:59 AM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    I think we are going to do something like that in the kitchen sometime this year. We need to update the kitchen but the way I look at it is if I'm updating the kitchen then I might as well enjoy it instead of doing it the last year we are here. Same with the bathrooms. The thing that I'm dreading the most is painting. It's not like I won't have the time but I just despise painting. I painted for 12 years on my off days on the FD. Me and three friends of mine had a painting business and unfortunately it's one of the things that I'm actually good at. I just despise painting. Add to that the lowest ceiling in our house is 10' and the highest is 17'... I'm not looking forward to it.

HomerTaco and wilcam47 like this.
  6. Mar 6, 2018 at 8:01 AM
    wilcam47

Member:
    North Idaho
    You are going to need some good scaffolding, I dont mind painting walls, its the finish/trim painting I hate....

RearViewMirror likes this.
  7. Mar 6, 2018 at 8:09 AM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    Luckily I shouldn't need to paint the ceilings. But cutting in sucks. Once you get past the cut in it's easy. But it took me one complete day to cut in our bathroom a few years ago due to all the angles, doors, shower, tub, toilet, baseboards, mirror, etc... After the cut in it took maybe an hour to actually paint the room. My wife asked me one time how come I don't use tape to cut in? Because I don't need too. I've done it so long that it's just an extra step that I don't need to take. I can make it look exactly the same as if someone used tape.

The Crown Molding and baseboards will get oil paint, which if done right, looks great. You just have to be patient with oil paint and not drag the brush over what you have painted while it's still wet. If you just leave it alone it will settle into a perfect smooth surface with no brush strokes. I don't mind painting with oil paint but you have to buy quality paint (rather it be oil or latex). If you buy the cheap shit that's exactly what you'll get.

wilcam47 and Hardscrabble like this.
  8. Mar 6, 2018 at 8:28 AM
    Pchop

Pchop Beavis Killer

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob I
    Stuart, FL
    Vehicle:
    '09 Tacoma TRD
    Thats a great law.

9. Mar 6, 2018 at 8:30 AM
    Pchop

Pchop Beavis Killer

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob I
    Stuart, FL
    Vehicle:
    '09 Tacoma TRD
    I'm with you on the painting shit. Fucking hate it. Will not do it at any cost. Nope.

StainlessSteelRatt likes this.
  10. Mar 6, 2018 at 8:32 AM
    Pchop

Pchop Beavis Killer

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob I
    Stuart, FL
    Vehicle:
    '09 Tacoma TRD
    Agreed on the paint. Sherwin Williams or Benjamin Moore. Only two I will use and thats from professional experience.

11. Mar 6, 2018 at 8:45 AM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    Yup... I'm with you. But I'm also not paying $6-7k to repaint my house either. I still have our contractors account at Sherwin Williams and that's the only paint we've ever used. So I figure around $1k for paint since I've already have all the brushes, poles, etc... I'm just not looking forward to cutting in off an A frame ladder that I "borrowed" from the FD ;)

VE7OSR, sandjunkie and wilcam47 like this.
  12. Mar 6, 2018 at 8:48 AM
    Pchop

Pchop Beavis Killer

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob I
    Stuart, FL
    Vehicle:
    '09 Tacoma TRD
    Yeah, it cost me $1800 when I moved in to have my entire inside painted. I asked him how much at the time to paint the outside and he said $2k.

Ill pay the $2k when the time comes. My house isnt as "big boned" as yours is though.

13. Mar 6, 2018 at 8:54 AM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    Ours is all brick so I don't have to worry about that. I will probably repaint my front door and some touch up on our polls on our back porch.

I would much rather paint the outside of a house because it is so much easier spraying a house with much less cut in.

14. Mar 6, 2018 at 8:57 AM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    One thing about it. I've got all the tools in my garage. All I need is the paint. I think 25-30 gallons should be enough. I buy the paint in 5 gal containers and batch all the paint into an extra 5 gal container as I go along. Then I just roll out of the 5 gal container.

15. Mar 6, 2018 at 9:29 AM
    krap22

krap22 Well-Known Member

Member:
    No basement? I thought every one in Tornado Alley put in basements.

16. Mar 6, 2018 at 9:35 AM
    HomerTaco

HomerTaco TOYWERX Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Bucks County Pa.
    Vehicle:
    four sticks, dual cases, zero fucks...
    100% not stock... Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill with 12-15 front-end swap/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad mini / Safari Snorkel / Auto-pilot mode / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust re-route / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift / Inchworm 4.7 crawlbox / twin stick FJ t-case / Davez off-road triple-stick kit/
    My dad was a painting contractor for 45 years before he retired. I grew up doing and to this day I still actually enjoy it.
    When I started Home Depot it was mixing paint in the paint department

wdb, RearViewMirror and G.T. like this.
  17. Mar 6, 2018 at 9:59 AM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    Nope... You'd be surprised how few basements are around in this city or the major cities anywhere. We're on a slab so we just installed a safe room.

18. Mar 6, 2018 at 10:08 AM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    Well.... I was going to try to wash the cars today but the wind is gusting from 30-40 mph right now. I couldn't even keep the water on the car if I wanted. And at 55* spraying with a pressure washer is not my idea of fun. Looks like Fri is the first day that I'll get that will be nice.

19. Mar 6, 2018 at 10:28 AM
    Hardscrabble

Hardscrabble Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    McDonough, GA
    Vehicle:
    '11 TM DCSB & '13 BRM regular cab
    Leather seats, WeatherTech's, Access LiteRider tonneau cover, extra D-rings in bed & tailgate. Pelley lightbar with Hella 700FF's. Temp./compass O/H console.
  20. Mar 6, 2018 at 10:31 AM
    HomerTaco

HomerTaco TOYWERX Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Bucks County Pa.
    Vehicle:
    four sticks, dual cases, zero fucks...
    100% not stock... Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill with 12-15 front-end swap/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad mini / Safari Snorkel / Auto-pilot mode / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust re-route / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift / Inchworm 4.7 crawlbox / twin stick FJ t-case / Davez off-road triple-stick kit/
    We’re going to have a snow day tomorrow... calling for 8-14” :(

VE7OSR, sandjunkie and wdb like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top