1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

"40's & 50's" Midlife crisis/GTFO my lawn thread.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Matic, Jun 18, 2011.

1. Mar 6, 2018 at 10:38 AM
    HomerTaco

HomerTaco TOYWERX Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Bucks County Pa.
    Vehicle:
    four sticks, dual cases, zero fucks...
    100% not stock... Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill with 12-15 front-end swap/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad mini / Safari Snorkel / Auto-pilot mode / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust re-route / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift / Inchworm 4.7 crawlbox / twin stick FJ t-case / Davez off-road triple-stick kit/
    Thank you for that, went well with my lunch.
    Never saw him in concert- only waters. :(

Hardscrabble likes this.
  2. Mar 6, 2018 at 10:40 AM
    RearViewMirror

RearViewMirror Saw things so much clearer once you... were in my

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB 4X4 TRD Off Road *Sold*
    Sadly I doubt I'll ever get to see him live. Since he's 76 I doubt many more major tours are in his future.

3. Mar 6, 2018 at 11:17 AM
    Hardscrabble

Hardscrabble Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    McDonough, GA
    Vehicle:
    '11 TM DCSB & '13 BRM regular cab
    Leather seats, WeatherTech's, Access LiteRider tonneau cover, extra D-rings in bed & tailgate. Pelley lightbar with Hella 700FF's. Temp./compass O/H console.
    :thumbsup:

The classic rock radio channel has been playing a lot of Floyd and Gilmour music due to his birthday. Out of this world talent from Mr. Gilmour.

HomerTaco likes this.
  4. Mar 6, 2018 at 11:35 AM
    TenBeers

TenBeers Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Pro Cavalry Blue
    CBI bed rack and sliders, CVT Mt. Bachelor, Uniden 520XL, WeatherTechs, TRD CAI, 1Up USA hitch rack, speaker upgrade, Total Chaos bed stiffeners
    Wow, lots of random activity in here today.

I knew several folks in Central Texas with stained concrete floors, some with the lines in it making it look kind of like stone. I wasn't really a fan of the lines, the stain crosses them and it is obvious it is not stone. But I did like the smooth ones. Any further north than Dallas and I would probably want some kind of radiating heat in the floor for winter comfort, but it feels great coming in from the Texas heat in the summer.

The people that bought our house in MO wanted a new roof, but it was replaced the year before we moved in due to wind damage and was only 8 years old. We lived on a ridge between the I-44 corridor and the MO River, and the terrain would cause storms to split and mostly go around us. Never anything bigger than tiny pea-size hail while we were there. The buyer's inspector said it "appeared" to have hail damage and just provided a quote for a new roof (including ridge cap venting, claiming there was not enough venting). We had a guy go take a look and he said there was just a dent in one of the vent covers that probably happened previously, roof had a good 10 years left on it. Nobody did hail damage replacements while we were there, some just replaced because they were over 15 years old. I said hell no, they already got me on the radon remediation scam that I couldn't get out of.

Britt, I don't have as much experience as you, but my old housemate had a painting business that he shared with me at times (mostly rental properties with quick turnaround and non-picky landlords). He showed me how to cut in without taping and how to paint baseboards with carpet. He had the stilts, so he did all the high stuff. When we painted my daughter's room here, she was starting to tape stuff and I told her to knock it off and get out of the way. She did a lot of the rolling while I went around cutting in. She was too stingy with the paint, though, it took a third coat. But she stuck with it and was proud when she was done. We used Behr from Home Depot. I like their deck stain, have used it a few times, but was not impressed with the coverage of the interior stuff.

Not many basements here in AR it seems, and then really only if they build on the side of a hill. But that's not even really a basement since half of it has outside walls. We have a room under the stairs that we keep cleared of junk just in case. It would be cozy but it's the safest place. My wife was seeing all these huge "safes" when she was looking at pictures of houses, thinking they were gun crazy here. They are, but the safes she was seeing were family safes, not gun safes, lol.

Saw Gilmore 2 nights in a row when Pink Floyd came through Dallas. Great show, but that was a long time ago.

Did the car detailing on Saturday while it was nice out. The 4Runner was dirty than I thought, it hadn't been washed for a few months but looked awesome when I was done (Blizzard Pearl hides that dirt).

HomerTaco and Hardscrabble like this.
  5. Mar 6, 2018 at 11:57 AM
    krap22

krap22 Well-Known Member

Member:
    you're going to get the crap that's rolling through here yesterday and today. we got lucky and it's been mostly rain and snow that is melting on contact.

HomerTaco likes this.
  6. Mar 6, 2018 at 2:11 PM
    wdb

wdb intolerance intolerant

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    the perimeter
    Vehicle:
    plain jane
    Hella 4000 eurobeams, Amp Bed Step, IamMrYo mirror riser, Wet Okoles, HomerTaco satoshi, retrofit intermittent wipers & backup camera
    My neighbor just sold his house and moved elsewhere. He had a new roof put on to satisfy the buyers. I don't get it. Why would I, as a buyer, let the seller pick who and what got put on the roof of a house I'm about to move into? I'll make those calls, thankyouverymuch.

7. Mar 6, 2018 at 2:27 PM
    TenBeers

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    CBI bed rack and sliders, CVT Mt. Bachelor, Uniden 520XL, WeatherTechs, TRD CAI, 1Up USA hitch rack, speaker upgrade, Total Chaos bed stiffeners
    Totally agree.

TBH, the buyers on mine had quite a few minor things plus the roof that they wanted done, probably about $15K worth of stuff. They even asked for hinges on the basement access panels that you rarely have to take off (they are held on with magnets, not hard to get off). I would have done the cheapest ass roof possible and no ridge cap venting if they forced me to do it. Told them we'd give them $5K credit back at closing to fix whatever they choose. We had new carpet and paint done after we got out, relatively new bamboo flooring on the main level. They were already getting a great deal and knew it, came back immediately with an acceptance.

When we bought our house here, it was missing a ceiling fan on the covered back porch. I figured they would do the cheapest one possible (which is what I would do), so I let it slide and put up my own. I made them replace the cover on the dryer vent, that was about it. It appraised for more than we were paying for it, wasn't going to be a dick.

TomTwo and DoorDing like this.
  8. Mar 6, 2018 at 2:43 PM
    krap22

krap22 Well-Known Member

Member:
    our old house didn't have any plumbing predone for a bathroom in the basement. the buyers wanted that done before we moved out. I agreed to have it done but i wasn't going to pay out of pocket to have it done. I said i'd give X dollars off the price. They didn't want that so the realtor stepped in and paid half of it. (she was both selling and buying realtor). Just stupid fucking requests.

wdb likes this.
  9. Mar 6, 2018 at 3:06 PM
    TenBeers

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    Check the banner photo ^. Turd Gen shenanigans.

DoorDing likes this.
  10. Mar 6, 2018 at 3:55 PM
    StainlessSteelRatt

StainlessSteelRatt Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRDOR DCSB 4X4
    Icon, SPC, Dakar, Mobtown
    I got to see what was left of Floyd for Delicate Sound of Thunder in Seattle in ‘89 - what an incredible show!

HomerTaco and Hardscrabble like this.
  11. Mar 6, 2018 at 4:22 PM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    The buyer won't have a choice as to what roof I'll put on the house before we put it on the market. It will be the exact same roof we have now. So when we put it up for sale it will have a new roof with nothing the buyer can complain about.

I think you got to see Pink Floyd with the members that I would want to see. Don't get me wrong... I love Roger Waters but David Gilmour (to me) was the soul of the band. And yes... A Delicate Sound of Thunder was a great album. David Gilmour is the example of how a guitar solo should be done.

12. Mar 6, 2018 at 4:38 PM
    TenBeers

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    Dude, you are not kidding about that wind.

Got my karma points for the day. I saw a husky roaming in the neighborhood when I was coming home, so I grabbed a leash from the house and went and caught her (she came right to me and got a belly rub, so it wasn't really hard). The owner lived around the corner and up the street and had just gotten home. He was walking down the street with a jar of dog treats. Not sure she would have gone too far, but huskies are notorious escape artists and she was further from home than when I first saw her. Wind had blown the gate open.

I had my Shiba out front with me on Sunday on a lead, came inside to grab something and when I went back out he was way out in the yard, lead just laying there on the driveway, collar still on the dog. I have no idea how he does that, he's done it a couple of times. I guess he just gets it twisted the right way. Small game instincts and plenty of woods by the house, he'd be off in a second if he saw something, but he's usually good about not going to far and coming back when I get really stern.

RearViewMirror likes this.
  13. Mar 6, 2018 at 6:40 PM
    4x4Runner

4x4Runner Now with more Oi Vey! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Drunken Sailor
    West Coast, Best Coast
    Vehicle:
    R1250GS
    nuttin fancy
    wdb and Lord Helmet like this.
  14. Mar 6, 2018 at 6:51 PM
    Lord Helmet

Lord Helmet Prepare To Attack

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2018 T4R ORP W/ KDSS '13 Taco, & Spaceball One
    The gift that keeps on giving :laugh:

DoorDing likes this.
  15. Mar 6, 2018 at 6:52 PM
    HomerTaco

HomerTaco TOYWERX Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Bucks County Pa.
    Vehicle:
    four sticks, dual cases, zero fucks...
    100% not stock... Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill with 12-15 front-end swap/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad mini / Safari Snorkel / Auto-pilot mode / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust re-route / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift / Inchworm 4.7 crawlbox / twin stick FJ t-case / Davez off-road triple-stick kit/
    What exactly is involved in a “safe room”? :confused:
    Another good distraction, thank you!

RearViewMirror likes this.
  16. Mar 6, 2018 at 7:24 PM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    Hahahaha.... that's awesome!

After the tornado came through it we quickly realized that we had no place in our house to hide. Our house has a open floor plan and is basically a giant balloon if a window broke. So we installed a safe room in the garage. It is 1/2" plate steel and is 5' x 5'. The door has 3 slide locks that are 1" thick pins. It is held in place by 16 expanding Hilti bolts drilled through our foundation. It's "supposed" to stand up to an F5 tornado though I hope I never have to find out. Since we bought it back in 2008 we have probably been in it around 15-20 times as we live right in the path of almost every tornado that comes up from the southwest. It's good insurance and also another selling point of the house.

[​IMG]

HomerTaco likes this.
  17. Mar 6, 2018 at 7:31 PM
    sandjunkie

sandjunkie Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    OC
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC 4X4 TRD Sport
    RCD Lift, Custon Alcan Leafs, Ballistic Jesters, Duratracs 285/70/17,Fold-a-Cover Elite G4 Tonneau, Black Grill Emblem, Sock Monkey Yeti Decals, Tundra 4x4 emblem sprayed black, Debadged, LED interior, Xenon Depot 6000K HID Headlights, Xenon Depot 3000k Fogs with Lamin-X Coating, Borla Exhaust - Chopped, Weathertecs, Custom Katzkin Leather TRD Interior.

Just paid $14k to have the inside of our new house painted. They also repainted the kitchen cabinets, inside garages, garage doors, and all the ceilings. 2 coats top Sherwin Williams.

18. Mar 6, 2018 at 7:33 PM
    FROM1978

FROM1978 IATSE Local 44

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Culver City, CA
    Vehicle:
    '18 Turd Sport DCSB
    I missed it. Please enlighten me...

19. Mar 6, 2018 at 7:35 PM
    krap22

krap22 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First post in the thread.......

FROM1978 and DoorDing like this.
  20. Mar 6, 2018 at 7:36 PM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    When we painted we were expensive to hire. We never went for the low bid but we just let the owner know you get what you pay for. I've got to paint my garage but that will be the last thing that I do since the garage seems to get the most wear and tear of any part of the house. Nice thing about the garage is I don't have to be nearly as particular about how I paint it since it will just be all white. And yes... All we ever use is Sherwin Williams Promar 200 since it is about the best latex paint you can buy. Depending on the color it will cover with one coat unless you're trying to cover a very dark wall with a lighter color paint.

Products Discussed in

To Top