1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

"40's & 50's" Midlife crisis/GTFO my lawn thread.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Matic, Jun 18, 2011.

1. Mar 6, 2018 at 8:27 PM
    HomerTaco

HomerTaco TOYWERX Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Bucks County Pa.
    Vehicle:
    four sticks, dual cases, zero fucks...
    Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill with 12-15 front-end swap/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad mini / Safari Snorkel / Auto-pilot mode / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust re-route / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift / Inchworm 4.7 crawlbox / twin stick FJ t-case / Davez off-road triple-stick kit/
    I kinda get that. It’s a bit different for me though: other than college and my first 3 years of marriage I’ve spent my entire life living here in this house. My parents downsized into a rancher 2 miles away 10 years ago and we moved in. My in laws are now within walking distance in the back of our neighborhood. I’ve known the couple next door since I was 11 yrs old & they are like adoptive grandparents to my kids. It’s certainly more upkeep than a newer house but you can’t really put a price tag on the memories. :oops:
    My wife & I had our first “date” here at the house and our first kiss was in the kitchen.
    I guess I’m a bit of a sap. :anonymous:

2. Mar 6, 2018 at 8:47 PM
    RearViewMirror

RearViewMirror Saw things so much clearer once you... were in my

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB 4X4 TRD Off Road *Sold*
    Nah man I get it.

When we moved into our house back in 2005 it was brand new. We were the fourth house to be built in this neighborhood so we got to see 41 other houses being built. You would think that would be kind of a nightmare but I kind of liked it for some reason? We bought this house because I wanted my daughter to live in a nice neighborhood and be able to ride a bike up and down the sidewalks and have friends to play with. We have been very lucky with our neighbors as all of them are great and we all look out for each other. It took us a long time to get into this house because of the sale of our old house. We had two house payments for about six months or so and that sucked.

The first few years or so were great living here. And then I went down the path that I chose with alcohol / drugs for several years. After I came out the other side I look at this house differently than I did before. I think of all the shitty things that I did during that time period and it was all while I was living here. So, in a way, it's become a house of horrors to me. I can't fully enjoy it like I used too. So I'm ready to move on and start fresh without something reminding me of what I did in the past. Don't get me wrong... I still love the house but not like I did when we first moved here. I'm ready to leave and if it weren't for my daughter we would be in Colorado right now. But it wouldn't be fair to her to uproot her life so I'll have to wait until she graduates. So now I look at all the things I used to like doing around the house as a chore rather than something I used to enjoy if that makes any sense?

medic2230 and HomerTaco like this.
  3. Mar 6, 2018 at 8:50 PM
    sandjunkie

sandjunkie Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    OC
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC 4X4 TRD Sport
    RCD Lift, Custon Alcan Leafs, Ballistic Jesters, Duratracs 285/70/17,Fold-a-Cover Elite G4 Tonneau, Black Grill Emblem, Sock Monkey Yeti Decals, Tundra 4x4 emblem sprayed black, Debadged, LED interior, Xenon Depot 6000K HID Headlights, Xenon Depot 3000k Fogs with Lamin-X Coating, Borla Exhaust - Chopped, Weathertecs, Custom Katzkin Leather TRD Interior.
    Makes perfect sense.

4. Mar 6, 2018 at 8:51 PM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    But I do have a lot of good memories here also

5. Mar 6, 2018 at 8:58 PM
    sandjunkie

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    OC
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC 4X4 TRD Sport
    RCD Lift, Custon Alcan Leafs, Ballistic Jesters, Duratracs 285/70/17,Fold-a-Cover Elite G4 Tonneau, Black Grill Emblem, Sock Monkey Yeti Decals, Tundra 4x4 emblem sprayed black, Debadged, LED interior, Xenon Depot 6000K HID Headlights, Xenon Depot 3000k Fogs with Lamin-X Coating, Borla Exhaust - Chopped, Weathertecs, Custom Katzkin Leather TRD Interior.
    Son found out he got into the Engineering program at Virginia Tech tonight. So far he has heard back from 13 Universities and been admitted to 12 and Denied at Notre Dame. 7 more to go.

HomerTaco and DoorDing like this.
  6. Mar 6, 2018 at 9:01 PM
    sandjunkie

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    OC
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC 4X4 TRD Sport

Cute kid

7. Mar 6, 2018 at 9:08 PM
    HomerTaco

HomerTaco TOYWERX Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Bucks County Pa.
    Vehicle:
    Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill with 12-15 front-end swap/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad mini / Safari Snorkel / Auto-pilot mode / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust re-route / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift / Inchworm 4.7 crawlbox / twin stick FJ t-case / Davez off-road triple-stick kit/
    Totally makes sense! :thumbsup:

8. Mar 6, 2018 at 9:15 PM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    I think that's the next step for me "personally". I just need to move away from here. As far as the state goes I've always hated it here. I was actually born in North Carolina but I grew up in Hawaii and California so when my parents got divorced that forced me back here where my mother is from. Once I graduated College I could have gone anywhere but I landed a very lucrative job at 21 making a lot of money. Then by just a weird chain of events I ended up on the FD so that pretty much stuck me here.

I just so badly want to be away from anything that brings up memories of what I did. I take full responsibility for my actions but I hate to be reminded of them at every other turn. I realize that is all in my head but it's also something that I can't fully shake either. The only time I feel truly comfortable and at ease is when I'm in Colorado. I've wanted to move there since I was a kid and that has never once changed. So there is an emotional connection to this physical place that I can't stand. So the only comfort I take right now is my family and raising my daughter. That is my number one job.

jubei and HomerTaco like this.
  9. Mar 6, 2018 at 9:23 PM
    HomerTaco

HomerTaco TOYWERX Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Bucks County Pa.
    Vehicle:
    All in due time. It’s cool that you’re sticking there for her though. That’s why I’ll probably stay at the same level with my company - I don’t want to move/relocate for work and with HD that’s the way to move up the ladder.
    Can’t put a price tag on some things tho.

DoorDing likes this.
  10. Mar 6, 2018 at 9:30 PM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    Your right.... My memory is my worst enemy. And though I did manage to pull myself out of that pit I will forever feel guilty for missing the better part of three years of my daughter's life growing up. I still remember I was sitting in a bar when my daughter made her first soccer goal and my wife had to send me a picture of it. I wasn't there. What kind of father does that? Those are the types of memories that haunt me at night. So yes... forgiving yourself is part of the process but there are some things that are just unforgivable in my opinion. But on the flipside of that coin it also lets me know that I will never go down that path again.

It's really strange the things that give me relief from some of those memories. Just getting in the car and driving for a few hours along the backroads with no direction in mind helps for some reason? I've no idea why? Maybe it's because I'm thinking of the physical act of going somewhere different that doesn't remind me of the things that I did. I dunno? Anyway... enough of that.

jubei and DoorDing like this.
  11. Mar 6, 2018 at 9:32 PM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    Honestly that is one of the reasons being retired from the FD is so nice. Now I don't miss a third of her life growing up. No more missed games, dance competitions, choir concerts, etc...

12. Mar 6, 2018 at 10:12 PM
    medic2230

medic2230 @Koditten Pirate Radio member #002

Member:
    First Name:
    Murph
    Bama! Roll Tide
    Vehicle:
    2011 Taco 4x4 DCLB
    20% Tint, OME 3"complete lift with Dakar's, Light Racing UCA's, 285/75/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers, 10 HP TW sticker, Ultraguage, B.A.M.F. Rock Sliders, MedicFab Bed Rack, Relentless front bumper, Air Flow Snorkel, Ham comms, Tech Deck

We have one of those in the station after a tornado hit it. It’s over on the 911 side though. So hopefully they’ll have time to unlock the door for us to get in it if we have another one.

9CDF439D-2B54-40B9-9CDC-C6D658DC9251.jpg

13. Mar 6, 2018 at 10:32 PM
    medic2230

medic2230 @Koditten Pirate Radio member #002

Member:
    First Name:
    Murph
    Bama! Roll Tide
    Vehicle:
    2011 Taco 4x4 DCLB
    20% Tint, OME 3"complete lift with Dakar's, Light Racing UCA's, 285/75/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers, 10 HP TW sticker, Ultraguage, B.A.M.F. Rock Sliders, MedicFab Bed Rack, Relentless front bumper, Air Flow Snorkel, Ham comms, Tech Deck

That’s kinda where I’m at right now. I kinda dread coming to work anymore. I love the job I just hate the fucking people that call all the time for bs. Plus missing stuff with my son. Being penalized for taking vacation. I’d rather be home at night not laying awake in bed wondering if the phone is about to ring and tones go off.

RearViewMirror, Sammie and DoorDing like this.
  14. Mar 7, 2018 at 4:37 AM
    HomerTaco

HomerTaco TOYWERX Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Bucks County Pa.
    Vehicle:
  15. Mar 7, 2018 at 5:35 AM
    Pchop

Pchop Beavis Killer

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob I
    South FL
    Vehicle:
    '09 Tacoma TRD
    Just out of curiosity, how much is a safe room?

16. Mar 7, 2018 at 5:51 AM
    TenBeers

TenBeers Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Pro Cavalry Blue
    CBI bed rack and sliders, CVT Mt. Bachelor, Uniden 520XL, WeatherTechs, TRD CAI, 1Up USA hitch rack, speaker upgrade, Total Chaos bed stiffeners
    DoorDing likes this.
  17. Mar 7, 2018 at 5:56 AM
    Pchop

Pchop Beavis Killer

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob I
    South FL
    Vehicle:
    '09 Tacoma TRD
    Alright, @DoorDing, did some research on the welders.

I looked at the ESAB Rebel EMP 215IC:
    This thing is a beast for a portable welder/home owner special. The ONLY reservations I would have with this is it's a DC only machine. If you have DC at your house or readily available where you will be using it then I wouldn't sweat it, plus you can still weld aluminum with it if you get the spool gun which I believe you intend to do. The amount of different set ups that come with it when you buy it is insane. It's a smart welder, which is new to me, but apparently not the industry actually learns your style, degree of proficiency and skill. I would have to actually test one to see if it actually is a true statement, but they claim it can make a beginner better faster. At $1600 I think it is a great deal, I would probably buy this one.

You also said something about the EMP 235IC, the only thing this will get you is more power which you will only need if your planning on doing some much heavier welding. Since I dont know what your intentions are to be welding thats a call you will have to make. I honestly can't think of anything that a non-professional will be welding that would warrant the bump in cycle. The 215 would be fine welding up to 1/2" steel at least and I dont see you working with anything that large :notsure:

All in all this thing looks awesome. I would spend the money on it.

One last thing, do yourself a favor and spend the extra $40 bucks or what ever it is and get an auto tint welding helmet. I fucking love mine, I spent all my time "working" with a regular shield. You have to constantly flip it up then down once you start. Truly a PITA, with an auto, you can see like you're looking through sunglasses and bam, you strike an arc and it goes black and you can still see with the arc. They are awesome. Dont argue this point, I know what I am talking about.

Hope this helps. Oh, get the spool gun to go with it. Nothing better than being able to run a continuous bead with out swapping sticks. You can get spools for aluminum, steel, flux core, etc. and have a true multi purpose spool selection which is also nice.

DoorDing and G.T. like this.
  18. Mar 7, 2018 at 6:01 AM
    Pchop

Pchop Beavis Killer

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob I
    South FL
    Vehicle:
    '09 Tacoma TRD
    Wait...what? Your house has a PT slab? Why? That makes absolutely no sense. Its a slab sitting on the ground, there is NO need to PT a house slab. Thats the craziest thing I have ever heard. I mean maybe on a mansion I might be able to understand that but I have seen your house and while a badass home it is, it's no mansion that would require a PT slab.
    Is it an earthquake thing?

19. Mar 7, 2018 at 6:04 AM
    TenBeers

TenBeers Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Pro Cavalry Blue
    CBI bed rack and sliders, CVT Mt. Bachelor, Uniden 520XL, WeatherTechs, TRD CAI, 1Up USA hitch rack, speaker upgrade, Total Chaos bed stiffeners

One of the reasons we left Texas was to help get my wife out of her "cancer bubble" and give the kids a change as well. I don't think I ever told her that, but there was that and lots of crap going on with our friends as well. Mostly her friends, and just not the kind of thing I wanted to be around -- infidelity, teen pregnancies, and women going through mid-life crises and just being freaks. It was time to move on, get a fresh start somewhere else. The kids were fine with it, and it definitely helped. But, St. Louis just never became "home" for us. Where we lived in Wildwood was a really nice place with good schools, but coming from Austin, not culturally a good fit. We would have done better in South County I think, but a bit too urban for me.

Anyway, we like it up here in our little corner of Arkansas, oldest daughter likes U of A much better than Mizzou, and youngest says she want this house when we decide to move. So I guess we are good for a while, but in 10 years I'll be looking to get out of the rat race and we'll see where we land.

DoorDing likes this.
  20. Mar 7, 2018 at 6:04 AM
    VE7OSR

VE7OSR 'interfering with Natural Selection since 1990'

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob II
    Okanagan, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 DCLB TRD Sport
    Armour: All-Pro Skid plates - IFS, transmission, and transfer case. Pelfreybilt rear standard plate bumper, Metal Tech Sliders w/ kickout and dimple die filler plates. Front Suspension: OME 885 + NitroCharger 9000 shocks + 1/2" spacers for a 3" lift. Superbumps replacing stock bumpstops. Camburg ball joint UCA SS braid brake lines Future: ADS Extended length, extended length UCA BJ to increase droop capability Rear Suspension: All-Pro Expedition rear leafs, Walker Evans 27" rear shocks, extended rear brake lines (Wheelers Offroad), U -bolt flip kit, rear Timbren bumpstops. Future: Hammer Hangers, Shock relocate, ADS 12" or 14" shock. Interior: Weatherteck floor liners - front, Wet Okoles- front, ScanGauge, LED interior & map lights. Power moonroof. Exterior: Raider Cobra canopy, retrofit headlight by Insight, LED bulbs all around, modified flasher unit for LEDs. Rear diff breather mod. Front diff vibe problem, driver's side needle bearing replaced with ECGS bushing. yet to install: HID Blazer Fog Retrofit, LED Flood & Spot, + switches, fuse panel. swaybar relocate blocks (build my own)
    Do they run drills for that, including the part about unlocking the door for you?

DoorDing likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top