1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

"40's & 50's" Midlife crisis/GTFO my lawn thread.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Matic, Jun 18, 2011.

1. Jul 18, 2018 at 11:06 AM
    medic2230

medic2230 @Koditten Pirate Radio member #002

Member:
    First Name:
    Murph
    Bama! Roll Tide
    Vehicle:
    2011 Taco 4x4 DCLB 2019 TRD PRO 4runner
    20% Tint, OME 3"complete lift with Dakar's, Light Racing UCA's, 285/75/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers, 10 HP TW sticker, Ultraguage, B.A.M.F. Rock Sliders, MedicFab Bed Rack, Relentless front bumper, Air Flow Snorkel, Ham comms, Tech Deck
    Been there for a wedding. Beautiful park! I could have spent weeks out there with my camera.

2. Jul 18, 2018 at 11:10 AM
    krap22

krap22 Well-Known Member

Member:
    i just looked at it on google maps, I never realize how close we were to lake mead and really not too far from the grand canyon.

medic2230 likes this.
  3. Jul 18, 2018 at 11:24 AM
    TenBeers

TenBeers Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Pro Cavalry Blue
    CBI bed rack and sliders, CVT Mt. Bachelor, Uniden 520XL, WeatherTechs, TRD CAI, 1Up USA hitch rack, speaker upgrade, Total Chaos bed stiffeners
    LOL, I was looking at the map, too, found Canyons of the Ancients as a potential less-traveled spot.

4. Jul 18, 2018 at 11:52 AM
    medic2230

medic2230 @Koditten Pirate Radio member #002

Member:
    First Name:
    Murph
    Bama! Roll Tide
    Vehicle:
    2011 Taco 4x4 DCLB 2019 TRD PRO 4runner
    20% Tint, OME 3"complete lift with Dakar's, Light Racing UCA's, 285/75/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers, 10 HP TW sticker, Ultraguage, B.A.M.F. Rock Sliders, MedicFab Bed Rack, Relentless front bumper, Air Flow Snorkel, Ham comms, Tech Deck
    Yeah I wished we had driven out there. Would have loved to explore while I was out there. But Vegas was awesome too.

5. Jul 19, 2018 at 7:28 AM
    krap22

krap22 Well-Known Member

Member:
    :tumbleweed:

went for a 30 mile bike ride last night. Averaged 13 mph on my fat bike. Legs are definitely feeling it today. Strava is a good way to track my rides and also shows me different segments of the ride. I had a lot of segments that we were doing 15-16 mph. That's hauling ass on a fat bike with a sasquatch on it.

6. Jul 19, 2018 at 8:02 AM
    TenBeers

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    CBI bed rack and sliders, CVT Mt. Bachelor, Uniden 520XL, WeatherTechs, TRD CAI, 1Up USA hitch rack, speaker upgrade, Total Chaos bed stiffeners
    I think my longest MTB ride is about 27 miles, but I typically ride where there is a lot of elevation change. 8 mph is a good average for me, LOL. My last ride was 11 miles with 1300 feet of climbing (which also means 1300 feet of descending!). Depending on the trail, I'll either ride my Stache hardtail or Remedy FS. My Farley is seeing no love lately. This area has a lot of good trails.

I use a Garmin Edge 800 with topo maps and MyTrails overlays from gpsfiledepot so I can figure out where the heck I'm at. It syncs with both the Garmin site and Strava. PM me your user name and I will send you a connect if you want.

HomerTaco likes this.
  7. Jul 19, 2018 at 8:12 AM
    RearViewMirror

RearViewMirror Saw things so much clearer once you... were in my

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB 4X4 TRD Off Road *Sold*
    Morning fellas :wave:

Next June we are taking our daughter to the Grand Canyon, Las Vegas, Zion, Bryce, and then coming back through Monument Valley back into Durango before the long trip back home. We were planning on going this June but we just spent an ungodly amount of money when we were in DC back in March. The day trip to Baltimore, for instance, was a $1000 day but we did get to see some cool shit. We're going to rent a minivan (yeah I know :rolleyes: ) so my daughter can have some room to stretch out. She asked me right before June "can't we just make a quick trip out to the Grand Canyon and Vegas" Lol... I don't think she can grasp the distance that trip is from here. My wife and I made this exact trip we are going to take next year back in 2004 and it is a full two day drive just to get to the rim of the Grand Canyon and that's hauling ass.

robssol, medic2230 and VE7OSR like this.
  8. Jul 19, 2018 at 8:57 AM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    My friend I know exactly what you're talking about. There is literally nothing to look at through OK, the Texas panhandle, through the first half of New Mexico. It isn't so bad driving out because of the anticipation of getting to where you want to go but the drive home is hell. I just left the place I want to live and now I have to drive back? And... there isn't shit to look at? It's not nearly as bad driving to Colorado because we are able to get off the interstate in Amarillo and turn North to Dumas and then West into the Northern part of New Mexico which, to me, is very scenic. But the drive to the Grand Canyon is nothing but interstate and long stretches of boredom. Once we get there it will be nice the rest of the trip until we drive back.

I would consider taking a train but there is only one Amtrack train that runs from here and it doesn't sound much more appealing.

DoorDing and robssol like this.
  9. Jul 19, 2018 at 9:28 AM
    VE7OSR

VE7OSR 'interfering with Natural Selection since 1990'

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob II
    Okanagan, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 DCLB TRD Sport
    Armour: All-Pro Skid plates - IFS, transmission, and transfer case. Pelfreybilt rear standard plate bumper, Metal Tech Sliders w/ kickout and dimple die filler plates. Front Suspension: OME 885 + NitroCharger 9000 shocks + 1/2" spacers for a 3" lift. Superbumps replacing stock bumpstops. Camburg ball joint UCA SS braid brake lines Future: ADS Extended length, extended length UCA BJ to increase droop capability Rear Suspension: All-Pro Expedition rear leafs, Walker Evans 27" rear shocks, extended rear brake lines (Wheelers Offroad), U -bolt flip kit, rear Timbren bumpstops. Future: Hammer Hangers, Shock relocate, ADS 12" or 14" shock. Interior: Weatherteck floor liners - front, Wet Okoles- front, ScanGauge, LED interior & map lights. Power moonroof. Exterior: Raider Cobra canopy, retrofit headlight by Insight, LED bulbs all around, modified flasher unit for LEDs. Rear diff breather mod. Front diff vibe problem, driver's side needle bearing replaced with ECGS bushing. yet to install: HID Blazer Fog Retrofit, LED Flood & Spot, + switches, fuse panel. swaybar relocate blocks (build my own)
    At least with the Train it travels while you are sleeping, so should end up as less time. Expensive though, or at least in Canada train travel is.

DoorDing likes this.
  10. Jul 19, 2018 at 10:05 AM
    HomerTaco

HomerTaco TOYWERX Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Bucks County Pa.
    Vehicle:
    four sticks, dual cases, zero fucks...
    100% not stock... Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill with 12-15 front-end swap/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad mini / Safari Snorkel / Auto-pilot mode / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust re-route / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift / Inchworm 4.7 crawlbox / twin stick FJ t-case / Davez off-road triple-stick kit/
    They don’t call them “Fly over states” for nothing... :(

RearViewMirror likes this.
  11. Jul 19, 2018 at 11:25 AM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    Funny you should mention that. My wife and I watched a show on Smithsonian the other night about the Trans Canadian train that travels between Toronto and Vancouver and back. Really interesting show. I would love to take that trip someday. As far as rail goes down here... not something I really want to do. If you ever saw our train station in the city you'd understand.

Totally agree. We decided one year to drive up through Tulsa into Kansas and cross over into Colorado. We drove it at night because there isn't anything to see anyway. As the sun was coming up we could see Pikes Peak from around 100 miles out. Was a really cool sight.

12. Jul 19, 2018 at 11:30 AM
    ThomasMore66

ThomasMore66 We can't stop here, this is bat country!

Member:
    Dallas/Fort Worth & Durango
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged 2013 TRD Offroad 4wd
    TRD Supercharger, TRD exhaust, Leather seats, running boards removed (why it came with them I cannot imagine), Salex organizers, BAMF behind-the-grill light bar, Rigid SR-20 and SR-Q - Spots mounted behind stock grill, color-matched grill, WeatherTech FloorLiner DigitalFit floor mats, Tech Deck, Avid bolt-on slider/step converted to weld on by TW member Achirdo, Diaz Fabrication Model T, Icon Stage 4 with OME Dakar rear leaf springs, OME Driveshaft spacer, Toytec 1" Front Diff Drop, FN BFD 18"x9" GMG Wheels, BFG KO2 285-65-18 tires, Ultragauge mounted above mirror, Tuffy Box lockable storage, MattGecko rear window security bar, Relentless Fab tailgate protector, CSJumper 700 lumen flood pattern back-up LED's, modified BeeRadd under-hood lighting with two KC Cyclones; KB Voodoo cargo management system and standard rails, AllPro hi-lift jack mount, 48" hi-lift, RCI Metalworks aluminum front skid, Flyzeye 3VP-RS in glovebox and console, AFE CAI, Coupe fuse box cover, battery hold-down bracket and CAI air-box cover, Wurton pod led's installed as bed lights on Lowbrow Customs motorcycle fork brake line aluminum brackets, Pop-n-Lock PL5400, Extang Solidfold 2.0, Rechelon Retro's, Moromoto LED fogs, URD Y-pipe, Walbro 255lph fuel pump, Speedhut AFR and Boost gauges, Cravenspeed gauge holder, CMC by Tandem Automotive, 70mm throttle body, CSF radiator, Doug Thorley shorties, Vibrant 7101 cats, SOS Offroad front and rear bumpers, Smoothflow 2.5” SC pulley, Steeda SC belt tensioner, roostfactor belt wrap kit, switch Pro 9100 in custom Tandem Automotive holder, WAT trans valvebody, FIC 650cc injectors, HP Tuner.
    However, that part of the country has a purpose.

[​IMG]

HomerTaco likes this.
  13. Jul 19, 2018 at 11:32 AM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    Be that as it may. I choose to not live there for a purpose. Just as I am choosing to not live in the South as soon as I can leave this hell hole. I'm happy there are people willing to live and work the farms, cattle ranches, etc... and I respect that. But it's not for me.

14. Jul 19, 2018 at 11:33 AM
    TenBeers

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    Last time I looked at train fares it was not much cheaper than flying unless you go super economy -- and yes, the train stations here are a bit sketchy. Our in-laws took the train from Austin to St Louis to visit us once, never did it again.

I think I'd still rather drive, but I would probably plan a roundabout way and take my time, travel the less-traveled roads. Interstate driving sucks.

robssol and VE7OSR like this.
  15. Jul 19, 2018 at 11:35 AM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    I agree. I would much rather not take the interstate but considering how long we will be gone it is the fastest way to get to where we are going. Once we get there then it will be back roads for the rest of the trip until the return trip home. We plan on being gone two weeks.

DoorDing likes this.
  16. Jul 19, 2018 at 3:23 PM
    robssol

robssol If it ain't broke, leave it the eff alone!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    S. Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma, TRD Sport, SR5, 4X4, ACLB
    Frame 2.0, Fog lights anytime, Seatbelt reminder delete, Secondary air filter delete, LED bed lights, Running boards, 2017 Rims, Devil Horns by Andres, Ultra gauge, Cup holder/consol/glove compartment lights, Interior LED conversion, Blue Sea aux. fuse panel, fuse panel mounting plate by Yotamac, ProEFX heated towing mirrors, LED engine bay lights, Redline Quicklift Elite hood struts, Wet Okole Heated Seat Covers, Pop and Lock tailgate theft deterrent mod 2.0, Plasti-dip rear bumper. Decal free visors, Washable cabin air filter, Overhead consol auto dimming override switch, BulletProof Fabricating Skid plate, 2lo module.
    You gotta stop in Shamrock TX and see if their water tower has tipped over yet.:D
    I drove through there years ago and their tower was listing heavily. A friend went through there years later still leaning. No hurry to do anything with.

17. Jul 19, 2018 at 3:39 PM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    I'm not sure how long that tower has been there but I know the first time I saw it was in 98 on a road trip with my buddy. The big cross isn't far away from that either. It used to just be a big cross but now it has, what looks like a church or something on the same grounds. I've never stopped. Every time we go to Colorado the tower is still leaning so I'm not sure how they built it or have it secured underground but I don't think it's going anywhere. I do enjoy a lot of the old Route 66 stuff that is still around. There are still a lot of places not far off I 40 that you can still see a lot of the old Route 66 stuff. Gallup NM is a good spot to get off to see quite a bit.

robssol likes this.
  18. Jul 19, 2018 at 3:53 PM
    robssol

robssol If it ain't broke, leave it the eff alone!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    S. Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma, TRD Sport, SR5, 4X4, ACLB
    Frame 2.0, Fog lights anytime, Seatbelt reminder delete, Secondary air filter delete, LED bed lights, Running boards, 2017 Rims, Devil Horns by Andres, Ultra gauge, Cup holder/consol/glove compartment lights, Interior LED conversion, Blue Sea aux. fuse panel, fuse panel mounting plate by Yotamac, ProEFX heated towing mirrors, LED engine bay lights, Redline Quicklift Elite hood struts, Wet Okole Heated Seat Covers, Pop and Lock tailgate theft deterrent mod 2.0, Plasti-dip rear bumper. Decal free visors, Washable cabin air filter, Overhead consol auto dimming override switch, BulletProof Fabricating Skid plate, 2lo module.
    Up in IL Rt66 is a little boring but they do have this...
    C48F1981-5D3B-4744-A696-E47376E4A477.jpg

19. Jul 19, 2018 at 5:17 PM
    TenBeers

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    I lived right on the old Route 66 in Missouri. I can understand the appeal of driving it cross country.

I bought a used tire for my sister's Mustang in Gallup for 5 bucks after driving 20 miles on a steel belt. She was pregnant (not my kid) and I think they felt sorry for us.

20. Jul 19, 2018 at 9:34 PM
    ABA180

ABA180 It burns when I pee....

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    East Bridgewater MA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab Slider
    Pioneer CD, Megaloud/JBL amps, Rockford/Polk speakers.
    NO NO NO!!! You're doing it wrong!

Make HIM clean the AR!

Products Discussed in

To Top