1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

"40's & 50's" Midlife crisis/GTFO my lawn thread.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Matic, Jun 18, 2011.

1. Mar 1, 2019 at 11:10 AM
    VE7OSR

VE7OSR 'interfering with Natural Selection since 1990'

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob II
    Okanagan, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 DCLB TRD Sport
    Armour: All-Pro Skid plates - IFS, transmission, and transfer case. Pelfreybilt rear standard plate bumper, Metal Tech Sliders w/ kickout and dimple die filler plates. Front Suspension: OME 885 + NitroCharger 9000 shocks + 1/2" spacers for a 3" lift. Superbumps replacing stock bumpstops. Camburg ball joint UCA SS braid brake lines Future: ADS Extended length, extended length UCA BJ to increase droop capability Rear Suspension: All-Pro Expedition rear leafs, Walker Evans 27" rear shocks, extended rear brake lines (Wheelers Offroad), U -bolt flip kit, rear Timbren bumpstops. Future: Hammer Hangers, Shock relocate, ADS 12" or 14" shock. Interior: Weatherteck floor liners - front, Wet Okoles- front, ScanGauge, LED interior & map lights. Power moonroof. Exterior: Raider Cobra canopy, retrofit headlight by Insight, LED bulbs all around, modified flasher unit for LEDs. Rear diff breather mod. Front diff vibe problem, driver's side needle bearing replaced with ECGS bushing. yet to install: HID Blazer Fog Retrofit, LED Flood & Spot, + switches, fuse panel. swaybar relocate blocks (build my own)
    Based on the article, having conflict at times with the Union is part of the job. I would dare speculate many of the rank & file members probably supported her initiative towards the command staff health & well being on the job, and the Union's position is pushing back because of their power, maintaining their role, but coming across as a bit spoiled and entitled.

2. Mar 1, 2019 at 11:28 AM
    Pchop

Pchop Beavis Killer

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob I
    South FL
    Vehicle:
    '09 Tacoma TRD
    AND they vote for the same policies that drove the cost of living and taxes up in the states they leave and ruin the state they are going to.

.劉煒 likes this.
  3. Mar 1, 2019 at 11:31 AM
    Pchop

Pchop Beavis Killer

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob I
    South FL
    Vehicle:
    '09 Tacoma TRD
    sandjunkie and VE7OSR like this.
  4. Mar 1, 2019 at 11:34 AM
    CableTec

CableTec Legend in my own mind

Member:
    J-ville and P-ville, FL
    Vehicle:
    2007 V6 PreRunner SR5 TRD
    See sig.....
    Subbed; and so y'all can laugh your asses off at me - I have a 12 year old who is turning out JUST like me, which can be good AND bad. He's a little smartass! Wife goes easier on him than I would. I now understand why my dad drank so much beer. It was how he coped with working hard all damn day, every day and then having to come home and listen to my shit. Get off my lawn! Oh and hummingbirds can fly up to 50 mph.

5. Mar 1, 2019 at 12:27 PM
    4x4Runner

4x4Runner Now with more Oi Vey! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Drunken Sailor
    West Coast, Best Coast
    Vehicle:
    2017 4Runner Smashed Ass Edition
    OME, 285 KO2’s, Fridge, Compressor, Rack, Lights, Switches, Dorkel
  6. Mar 1, 2019 at 12:28 PM
    RearViewMirror

RearViewMirror Saw things so much clearer once you... were in my

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB 4X4 TRD Off Road *Sold*
    We (as a Union) didn't have much problem out of her. We supported a lot of the things she brought to the table. She was VERY interested in keeping the members of the job fit and "I" completely supported that. She and the Union enacted a Peer Fitness initiative and about 30 of us got our personal trainers license so we could assess the FD as a whole and help implement a support system for those that needed help. The FD is like any other job. There are some that can do the job and some that just hold back and skate by. We had one guy that couldn't do one pushup while we were assessing him. ONE FUCKING PUSHUP??!!! You learn real quick who can actually do the job and who can't. So yes... I fully supported that initiative.

Some people like Unions and some don't. I get it. I can only speak for the IAFF. Our Union is extremely proactive in helping the members along with moving the FD in a forward direction. They were instrumental in helping with the "two in two out" rule and making sure it was put into place along with many other things that benefited the FD. We are still fighting for Presumptive Legislation but that is a battle that, unfortantually, will take a lot of time. There are some states that have Presumptive Legislation but we're not one of them "yet". Even though I'm retired, I'm still a full member of the Union. I still pay my dues and even though I don't reap very many of the rewards that the Union provides, I know that the guys that are still on the job do. I want to make sure that they continue to do so. These are my brothers and sisters and I care very much about their careers. There were those that came before me and are doing the same thing. I want to continue that.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
    LostHusker and VE7OSR like this.
  7. Mar 1, 2019 at 12:44 PM
    CaptAmerica

CaptAmerica Asphalt Avenger! TTC#13

Member:
    First Name:
    Cap
    Austin TX
    Vehicle:
    Gen 2.9 DCLB TRD Sport w/tech
    Stickers and lots of wax
    Thanks much! That’s going out to everyone on Monday.
    The police and fire unions in this town are nuts. There are about a dozen cops who should have been fired but the union is protecting them...and several who haven’t been promoted because the union is putting forward their own stars instead of those officers who have the best statistical records. It’s not a matter of color or politics, either - it’s simply a matter of who is more active in the union.

The fire union is a little better, especially since the incident with the captain who set up a hidden camera in the locker room. The union threw him out and told the city to have at him.

RearViewMirror likes this.
  8. Mar 1, 2019 at 2:18 PM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    I can't speak for the Police union in the city other than the Police and Fire "generally" worked together and didn't stray very far apart when it came time for pay negotiations etc... When it comes time for negotiating a new contract with the city (generally a 2-3 year contract) the Police union and Fire were on the same page. The way it worked when it came time for negotiations is the Unions would come in with a proposal that was usually completely off the charts and of course the city would come in with the exact opposite. But that's the way negotiations work. You ask for more than you know you will get and meet in the middle where everyone feels like they are getting the best deal that they can. The best pay raise we ever got was 3% for the first year, 2.5% for the second year, and 2% for the third. I'll never ever complain about the money they paid us because they paid well. Last time I checked we were one of the highest paid FD's in the South but... we were also a very progressive FD. The thing is, now that I'm retired... I'm guaranteed a 3% raise (compounded) every July 1st for as long as I live. Add to that, I make more money off the job than I did on the job because of my Final Average Pay, I'll never complain. But that comes down to the huge sum of money I paid into our pension system.

The issue with the FD is we don't generate any money for the city as opposed to the Police. We cost the city at every level and the only thing we generated was cheap insurance since we are one of the few Class 1 FD's which is a very hard process to get.

As far as the Union helping promoting their own members... It's exactly the opposite here. Our Union has taken a stance to make the testing process fair and that the Fire Chief doesn't have a hand in promoting "his" personal friends over others that are clearly more qualified. We had an issue were certain members were getting answers to the tests because of the connections to the upper levels so the Union fought against that and made it to where it was as fair as possible instead of someone having an upper hand. That was VERY prevalent when I came on the job and is one of those things that will never completely go away. Someone with connections will always find a way. But the Union has fought very hard against that. Let's put it this way... I was / am extremely active in the Union and I never once got any help with the testing because the Union didn't have any access to the testing. Upper management did though and once members moved into upper management, they all chose to leave the Union.

The biggest issue that I ever had with the Union (and it wasn't the Union's fault) was there were a few members that chose not to be members of the Union. But... if they got into trouble the Union still had to represent them even though they have never paid a dime in dues. The Union negotiates for working conditions, pay, vacation, etc... and they reap the same rewards as those that are members but never pay a dime for those that represent them. One of the biggest arguments I ever got in on the job was with a non Union member that accused me of not supporting something they wanted. I accused them of being on the Union Welfare Plan. I probably should have handled it differently but my view hasn't changed and never will as long as there are members that get the same benefits that I did without paying a dime to the people that actually negotiate for those benefits.

VE7OSR likes this.
  9. Mar 1, 2019 at 2:42 PM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    One other thing the Union did as far as testing goes was eliminate the vast discrepancy in seniority in testing. When I came on the job you couldn't take your first promotion exam until you had five years on the job. You could take the test at four years but you couldn't actually get promoted until you hit your five year anniversary. The issue was that seniority accounted for a max of 15 points on the test. So if someone just sat on their ass for 20 years (1 point for every year up to 15 because the points didn't start accruing until you hit the 5 year mark) in a slow station and waited to take the test they automatically got 15 points that I couldn't get. So I was at a 15 point deficit on my first promotional exam. If they made a 100 (unlikely) and I made a 100, I basically made an 85 on the test compared to them. I came out number one on my first test but ended up number 4 on the list because of the 15 point deficit. I was never assigned to a slow company during my career but yet I was penalized because I didn't sit on my ass and wait until I could get the max amount of points. I still got promoted as soon as I hit the five year mark so it didn't really affect me personally but I know a lot of people that it did affect. Luckily the Union stepped in and did away with that system and went to a new system (called the Z factor) that if you tied someone on the test the person with more seniority would move one spot ahead of you. I'm of the opinion that seniority should account for something, but not a 15 point deficit. When I took the Captains test it was much more fair and I didn't have anyone tie me so my score was my score and no one was able to pass me which allowed me to get promoted at 10 years to the date that I came on the FD.

10. Mar 1, 2019 at 4:11 PM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    One of the funnier things I saw while I was on the FD was if you were a Union Member you have access to a special license plate for your car that reads IAFF in the middle and Professional Firefighter underneath since the only way you can be in the IAFF is to be a Career Professional Firefighter. I have one on both of my vehicles. Someone on the job, that wasn't a member of the Union, somehow was able to circumvent the system and got caught with that license plate on his personal vehicle and was stripped of that license plate once the state found out. Fuck him... So he had to go back to a generic license plate that just read Firefighter that anyone could get as long as they belonged to a fire service be it voluntary or professional that wasn't a member of the IAFF.

I used to get so fucking pissed at people selling original IAFF stickers on ebay (mind you it was most likely Professional Firefighters that were selling them :rolleyes: ). People would pay out the ass for one of those stickers because they couldn't get one because they weren't in the Union or they weren't Career Professional Firefighters that paid their dues. I can only imagine the number of Volunteer Firefighters running around with Union stickers on their vehicles. I take nothing away from Volunteer Firefighters at all. We need them and they serve a valuable service to their community. But at the same time... one must realize, unless you are a member of the IAFF, you should not have access to anything IAFF related.

11. Mar 1, 2019 at 4:24 PM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
  12. Mar 1, 2019 at 5:54 PM
    wilcam47

wilcam47 Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2000 Toyota Tacoma
    4 inch lift
    I had a supervisor that would talk almost exactly like this...
    [​IMG]

13. Mar 1, 2019 at 6:09 PM
    G.T.

G.T. Official TW Burrito Inspector

Member:
    First Name:
    G.T.
    CONUS
    Vehicle:
    2011 Pyrite Mica 4WD DCLB TRDSport w/ FlipPac
    Some stick on chrome from pep boys
  14. Mar 1, 2019 at 6:10 PM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    I can definitely see where the Military is not immune from this sort of thing.

15. Mar 1, 2019 at 6:16 PM
    G.T.

Member:
    First Name:
    G.T.
    CONUS
    Vehicle:
    Regrettably it’s usually guys that served honorably in a non combat role that want to tarnish their own record by claiming something “go fast” that they were never anywhere near.

wilcam47 and RearViewMirror like this.
  16. Mar 1, 2019 at 6:18 PM
    wilcam47

Member:
    North Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2000 Toyota Tacoma
    4 inch lift
    We had a guy try to put in for a purple heart because he twisted his ankle on a nuclear generation exercise...it promptly got squashed.

.劉煒, G.T. and rmepilot like this.
  17. Mar 1, 2019 at 6:24 PM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    We had very similar things on the FD. Someone would spend almost their entire career at a slow station where they may make only a couple hundred runs a year. Or worse... the Crash Station where they might make 25 runs per year. I was assigned to T-1 and T-7 for the vast majority of my career and we would average close to 3000 runs per year. T-7 is the busiest Truck Co. in the state and one of the busiest in the entire South. What really sucked is when they would say "well... I make the same amount of money as you do". "True... but don't brag about being a true FF because you're not" "You're just taking up space and you'll get no respect from me". The most runs I ever made during one shift was 37. Got to work and never saw the station again. I was relieved on the scene of a structure fire at 8:30 am the following day. But they were right.... he made the same amount of money I did for that entire shift by sitting on his ass.

18. Mar 1, 2019 at 6:27 PM
    wilcam47

Member:
    North Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2000 Toyota Tacoma
    4 inch lift
    I knew someone that got fired from the volunteer Emt...

G.T. likes this.
  19. Mar 1, 2019 at 6:28 PM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    Did he set his own fires? Believe it or not... that happens more than you think.

rmepilot and wilcam47 like this.
  20. Mar 1, 2019 at 6:30 PM
    G.T.

Member:
    First Name:
    G.T.
    CONUS
    Vehicle:
    Officers that intentionally put you in bad positions so they can call danger close fire missions and then put each other in for awards. The guy that never left Bragg but claims TBI from VBIED, it goes on and on regrettably.

The armed forces is a cross section of the population and that means that more than a few kooks wear the uniform.

HomerTaco, CaptAmerica and wilcam47 like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top