1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

"40's & 50's" Midlife crisis/GTFO my lawn thread.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Matic, Jun 18, 2011.

1. Mar 15, 2019 at 1:20 PM
    4x4Runner

4x4Runner Now with more Oi Vey! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Drunken Sailor
    West Coast, Best Coast
    Vehicle:
    2017 4Runner Smashed Ass Edition
    OME, 285 KO2’s, Fridge, Compressor, Rack, Lights, Switches
    It was pretty clear that it was racial stereotyping. May not be straight spelled out in the code of conduct but it was felt as derogatory towards an ethnic group.

98tacoma27 likes this.
  2. Mar 15, 2019 at 1:30 PM
    rmepilot

rmepilot Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Huntsville, AL
    Vehicle:
    '15 DCLB S/C 4x4 Limited Pyrite Mica
    That's why I'm on the east side of the mountain and have a finished basement. :thumbsup:

wilcam47 likes this.
  3. Mar 15, 2019 at 1:37 PM
    VE7OSR

VE7OSR 'interfering with Natural Selection since 1990'

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob II
    Okanagan, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 DCLB TRD Sport
    Armour: All-Pro Skid plates - IFS, transmission, and transfer case. Pelfreybilt rear standard plate bumper, Metal Tech Sliders w/ kickout and dimple die filler plates. Front Suspension: OME 885 + NitroCharger 9000 shocks + 1/2" spacers for a 3" lift. Superbumps replacing stock bumpstops. Camburg ball joint UCA SS braid brake lines Future: ADS Extended length, extended length UCA BJ to increase droop capability Rear Suspension: All-Pro Expedition rear leafs, Walker Evans 27" rear shocks, extended rear brake lines (Wheelers Offroad), U -bolt flip kit, rear Timbren bumpstops. Future: Hammer Hangers, Shock relocate, ADS 12" or 14" shock. Interior: Weatherteck floor liners - front, Wet Okoles- front, ScanGauge, LED interior & map lights. Power moonroof. Exterior: Raider Cobra canopy, retrofit headlight by Insight, LED bulbs all around, modified flasher unit for LEDs. Rear diff breather mod. Front diff vibe problem, driver's side needle bearing replaced with ECGS bushing. yet to install: HID Blazer Fog Retrofit, LED Flood & Spot, + switches, fuse panel. swaybar relocate blocks (build my own)
    You found a mountain?! :thumbsup: I spent some time in Muscle Shoals for a work project. Loved the tree frogs, fire bugs, and humidity at night. Got to see a Tornado funnel form during one storm, and it managed to RIP the roof off a high school, but didn't quite touch ground. Short lived, but still cool to see from a distance.

wilcam47 likes this.
  4. Mar 15, 2019 at 1:52 PM
    TenBeers

TenBeers Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Pro Cavalry Blue
    CBI bed rack and sliders, CVT Mt. Bachelor, Uniden 520XL, WeatherTechs, TRD CAI, 1Up USA hitch rack, speaker upgrade, Total Chaos bed stiffeners
    Not bad certs, but I have found that most people with those certs aren't really that good at doing the actual job. Flexibility within the framework is required, and the people I have run into with all the certs have a hard time thinking outside the framework.

I need an Enterprise Architect (that can be flexible within a framework), preferably with cloud-native experience or exposure. In NW Arkansas. Any help is appreciated!

5. Mar 15, 2019 at 1:55 PM
    TenBeers

TenBeers Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Pro Cavalry Blue
    CBI bed rack and sliders, CVT Mt. Bachelor, Uniden 520XL, WeatherTechs, TRD CAI, 1Up USA hitch rack, speaker upgrade, Total Chaos bed stiffeners
    Man, Tool is coming to St Louis and KC, only band (that still tours) that I want to see. Someone posted tickets in STL for $10K each. Wow. Nope.

6. Mar 15, 2019 at 2:46 PM
    4x4Runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Drunken Sailor
    West Coast, Best Coast
    Vehicle:
    That’s cause they don’t have practical knowledge from years of working in the field and supporting the change through implementation.

7. Mar 15, 2019 at 3:03 PM
    VE7OSR

VE7OSR 'interfering with Natural Selection since 1990'

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob II
    Okanagan, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 DCLB TRD Sport
    Armour: All-Pro Skid plates - IFS, transmission, and transfer case. Pelfreybilt rear standard plate bumper, Metal Tech Sliders w/ kickout and dimple die filler plates. Front Suspension: OME 885 + NitroCharger 9000 shocks + 1/2" spacers for a 3" lift. Superbumps replacing stock bumpstops. Camburg ball joint UCA SS braid brake lines Future: ADS Extended length, extended length UCA BJ to increase droop capability Rear Suspension: All-Pro Expedition rear leafs, Walker Evans 27" rear shocks, extended rear brake lines (Wheelers Offroad), U -bolt flip kit, rear Timbren bumpstops. Future: Hammer Hangers, Shock relocate, ADS 12" or 14" shock. Interior: Weatherteck floor liners - front, Wet Okoles- front, ScanGauge, LED interior & map lights. Power moonroof. Exterior: Raider Cobra canopy, retrofit headlight by Insight, LED bulbs all around, modified flasher unit for LEDs. Rear diff breather mod. Front diff vibe problem, driver's side needle bearing replaced with ECGS bushing. yet to install: HID Blazer Fog Retrofit, LED Flood & Spot, + switches, fuse panel. swaybar relocate blocks (build my own)
    I've run into that a fair bit from one perspective. Arrive at a remote location, review the site, compare to the Installation Design Package, and it does not match. Check the logbook to see if anyone did a site survey, and find out they spent 10 minutes on site. {sigh} That's why I carried a large selection of parts in the van, and spend hours completing redlines of Engineering drawings & specs. Suspect its a case of Site Survey is in a rush to leave as soon as they arrive, take a few pictures, document nothing, then forget what pics belonged to what site.

CaptAmerica likes this.
  8. Mar 15, 2019 at 5:32 PM
    rmepilot

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Huntsville, AL
    Vehicle:
    I live in the SW Foothills of the Appalachians. :thumbsup:

wilcam47 likes this.
  9. Mar 15, 2019 at 6:31 PM
    .劉煒

.劉煒 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Inferno DCSBTRDORMT
    With all due respect - that just sounds like a loss of sense of humor on behalf of the mods. (not having read the original context and all)

But I did just read this (and can echo with my own experiences) .. came up since someone made a migra joke on one of my chats and I responded with being the local (ish) federales..

wilcam47 likes this.
  10. Mar 15, 2019 at 6:33 PM
    .劉煒

.劉煒 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Inferno DCSBTRDORMT
    In other discussion items - found a fun job (remote airborne sensor tech) but decided not to go for it since it's not too kid/fam flexible (during non-flying hours). I mean, I love deployments, but you'd better promise home time is easy going.

11. Mar 15, 2019 at 6:43 PM
    4x4Runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Drunken Sailor
    West Coast, Best Coast
    Vehicle:
    Its not just us. The forum is read by a large population of people. If we don’t respond to something like that we accept it. Normally we’d just delete it but considering his numerous bans for posting inappropriate pics (some NSFW) and reply bans, coupled with the reported posts. He knew better and chose to see how far he could stretch it.

rmepilot likes this.
  12. Mar 15, 2019 at 6:43 PM
    CaptAmerica

CaptAmerica Asphalt Avenger! TTC#13

Member:
    First Name:
    Cap
    Austin TX
    Vehicle:
    Gen 2.9 DCLB TRD Sport w/tech
    Stickers and lots of wax
    When I was in high school we used to play a game called “killer” where 48 of us enter the pool, draw names, and start trying to “kill” each other as make-believe hit men. We’d had hits like:
    Bomb in the locker - floral block with a battery and wires stuffed into it
    Stabbed in the hallway - aluminum foil knife (knife has to be crushed to prove depth of stab)
    Shot - various squirt, dart, and rubber pellet guns (no metal projectiles)
    Poisoned - pickle juice was the noted poison, and it’s an art to sneak it into someone’s milk

I was eventually killed in an “acid attack” and I went out #3. Won $10. Winner got $50.

We all knew NOT to actually kill each other. We all had toy guns at school just in case. Paranoia ran supreme, Some teachers were know to aid and abet our “crimes” and in one case participate.

No one had a problem with it.

Now? You’ll get expelled and get a psychiatric evaluation for simply drawing a picture of a gun. I used to have a teacher that did custom scroll work on over-under shotguns IN SHOP CLASS. They were gorgeous shotguns too. I think he made as much on the scrolling as he did teaching.

Long story short, what is innocent one day loses that innocence in the light of a change in current events. I’m sure that after Columbine, our game would be considered horrific. This isn’t far from that.

I’m not saying it’s right or wrong. It’s simply sad. I’ll go back to playing with my nondescript genderless wooden blocks now.

13. Mar 15, 2019 at 7:00 PM
    .劉煒

.劉煒 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Inferno DCSBTRDORMT
    Me, I'll fight the change. I don't think we do better as a humorless society. The line is, it is meant to personally offend an individual - if not, whatev's. Not the line that is enforced at work, or whatever (which is 'could it be possibly (to a third party)') but damnit, I'm doing my part not to raise any snowflakes.

RearViewMirror and Bastek like this.
  14. Mar 15, 2019 at 7:00 PM
    .劉煒

.劉煒 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Inferno DCSBTRDORMT
    Like I said, context.

15. Mar 15, 2019 at 7:18 PM
    rmepilot

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Huntsville, AL
    Vehicle:
    I agree, but picking your battles and knowing your audience, goes a long way. js

wilcam47 and CaptAmerica like this.
  16. Mar 15, 2019 at 7:33 PM
    CaptAmerica

CaptAmerica Asphalt Avenger! TTC#13

Member:
    First Name:
    Cap
    Austin TX
    Vehicle:
    Gen 2.9 DCLB TRD Sport w/tech
    Stickers and lots of wax
    Two of my wife’s favorite sayings.

wilcam47 and rmepilot like this.
  17. Mar 15, 2019 at 7:35 PM
    rmepilot

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Huntsville, AL
    Vehicle:
    :cheers:

You think I’m bad sometimes, you better run if you see my wife get on her soapbox... (Chinese/Japanese-mix milbrat, raised in Alabama) :angrygirl:

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019 at 7:45 PM
    wilcam47 likes this.
  18. Mar 16, 2019 at 5:09 PM
    ABA180

ABA180 It burns when I pee....

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    East Bridgewater MA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab Slider
    Pioneer CD, Megaloud/JBL amps, Rockford/Polk speakers.
    By the same, I own a few different bikes:

1986 General Fred Blood
    1997 GT Vertigo
    1996 Torker TFX
    2004 WeThePeople Daredevil
    2012 SE Quadangle
    2001 Haro Mirra 540

1970s Kent (ape hanger bars and banana seat)

2017 Micargi beach cruiser
    1990s Diamond Back Outlook mountain bike

1986 Schwinn Predator Freeform EX

The 6 I grouped are all in unrestored condition. Primary thing is they are freestyle bikes, though the Torker is one I could race. It's also a throwback to the original freestyle bikes, such as the Haro Freestyler.

The Schwinn I got as a project, looked like hell but was all original except grips and tires. I've torn it apart and begun restoring it. I had one as a kid and would still murder the prick who stole it in 1989.

Yeah I can only ride one at a time but it's fun..and some have different uses. The Haro I usually take when I go camping since I can do dirt roads or just tricks. I do ride the cruiser in my neighborhood only sometimes.

@Matic nailed it too, for me it's a throwback to my youth when I lived on bikes. I could take apart and rebuild a coaster brake hub when I was 4 just from tinkering to learn the stuff. Plus some cool stuff to have..the General even has the original grips and tires to it, and original paint despite a few scratches. Also has the screw-in fork pegs which mostly got lost.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019 at 5:16 PM
    Matic [OP] likes this.
  19. Mar 16, 2019 at 5:14 PM
    4x4Runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Drunken Sailor
    West Coast, Best Coast
    Vehicle:
    Knowing the audience is 99.9% of it. I bite my tongue a lot at work cause the disparity in humor and offensiveness. I don’t need an investigation on my hands this close to retirement.

.劉煒, rmepilot and ABA180 like this.
  20. Mar 16, 2019 at 5:17 PM
    ABA180

ABA180 It burns when I pee....

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    East Bridgewater MA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab Slider
    Pioneer CD, Megaloud/JBL amps, Rockford/Polk speakers.
    This. I have a couple of friends I'll make certain jokes with if nobody else is nearby at work but I know them well and they me. One is also a neighbor who I've catcalled when I see her jogging because she just laughs at me

Products Discussed in

To Top