1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

"40's & 50's" Midlife crisis/GTFO my lawn thread.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Matic, Jun 18, 2011.

1. May 4, 2019 at 8:21 PM
    .劉煒

.劉煒 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Inferno DCSBTRDORMT
    Not my first rodeo at a ICS 215a/208 by any means. Problem with separating roles is the IC/UC will then need to integrate it back in, and it irks me when OSC doesn't listen to SOFR/PSC/etc...

At a type 4 incident where you're not rolling that sort of thing out the plan is just to back up to ERG protection distance and maintain safety anyway...

RearViewMirror likes this.
  2. May 4, 2019 at 9:48 PM
    RearViewMirror

RearViewMirror Saw things so much clearer once you... were in my

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB 4X4 TRD Off Road *Sold*
    I never minded the runs. I didn't want anything bad to happen but it's "going" to happen so I always felt confident when I was there that the job would be completed effectively. Getting two separate degrees (fully paid for by two different agencies) helped with that confidence. Having the knowledge of what / how different chemicals / radioactive materials behave in different conditions and what to do, or possibly not do if the conditions can't be improved upon, and all the tools at my disposal were nice to have. The only issue I had was with a couple of Battalion Chiefs that were IC on scene. They very well may be the IC, and I'd tell them how we were going to mitigate the problem at hand. Most of the Battalion Chiefs were very receptive that we were there because the vast majority of BC's weren't Techs. Those that were Techs... we spoke the same language so there was a common ground. But most didn't have degrees. But those few that were Techs at least had the knowledge of the route we were taking, allocation of resources, how to set up a hot zone, warm zone, decon, and a cold zone, etc... along with evacuation route for us and the general public if needed. But a couple of BC's didn't want to give up the power of command. That's when it became an alpha dog scenario. And I got into a lot of heated discussions about the direction they wanted to take and the direction the "we were" going to take. I respected the rank because it was earned. But when you have someone on scene that has more knowledge, tools, and experience that is a recourse I personally would want on scene and let them do their job without hindrance but, I always kept them in the loop. Every run, once our course of action was decided on, I would inform the IC of all the steps and what needed to be done to mitigate the problem. Sometimes they wanted something different and that's when it becomes uncomfortable because we won't be doing it that way. Luckily, those instances were rare.
    The one thing I hated was being on scene and the sheer amount of agencies that would contact me by phone after notifying ADEM. Anything that was going to take a prolonged period to take care of, it got old quick. I felt like I spent half of my time on the phone. If anything got into a water source??? Holy fuck what a goddamn nightmare.

The worst part for me were the reports. All of the different agencies that reports would have to be filed with took a huge amount of time and everything had to be completely accurate (which was one of my job responsibilities). But it was the part of HazMat that I disliked the most.

Last edited: May 4, 2019
  3. May 4, 2019 at 10:02 PM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    So... I just got back from a 2 hr drive to the Southern part of the state for my wife's niece's wedding. They were married in a fucking barn. What in the actual fuck??? I hate this fucking state. I'm a city boy. I make no bones about it. I want all the conveniences at my disposal immediately. In my wildest dreams I would have never thought of getting married in a fucking barn.

*EDIT* All that being said... As her father was walking her down the aisle (or whatever the fuck you want to call it being in a fucking barn), I realized that I'm going to break down and cry like a baby when I have to walk my daughter down the aisle and give her away. The father / daughter dance will break my heart and I'll be inconsolable.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

She is my life.

Last edited: May 4, 2019
  4. May 5, 2019 at 8:07 AM
    .劉煒

.劉煒 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Inferno DCSBTRDORMT
    Yeah that's the worst part. The org politics stuff. Ugggh. Forms and paperwork are fine.

Delegate it to the LNO.

5. May 5, 2019 at 8:58 AM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    I'm retired... I'm not delegating shit ;) Unless it's to my daughter to vacuum the house. I've turned into Mr. Mom.

As far as delegating on the job? Didn't matter. They wanted to talk to me since I was in charge of the incident even though we had an IC. But as I mentioned... the IC, on scenes like that, was basically delegated to second in charge. Not sure how it works where you are but that's how it works on the FD as far as HazMat incidents are concerned. Besides, my crew were busy being sector commanders, setting up equipment, suiting everyone up, making sure decon was set up correctly, etc... so I was the one that would get all the phone calls.

Besides... there is no such thing as an "actual" quick HazMat incident. A structure fire? Yes. Rescue and putting the fire out before it spreads any further. Pretty straight forward. An actual HazMat incident? You never rush into any decision made. If you do... someone is going to get injured or worse.

Last edited: May 5, 2019
    .劉煒 and VE7OSR like this.
  6. May 5, 2019 at 3:25 PM
    .劉煒

.劉煒 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Inferno DCSBTRDORMT
    Yup! It's pretty good that way.

Yeah, our Haz stuff is really slow like that too. Again, full ICS setup at that point.

7. May 6, 2019 at 11:16 AM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    Pretty cool video if you like astronomy as much as I do.

VE7OSR and HomerTaco like this.
  8. May 6, 2019 at 11:29 AM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    Now this is really cool. I hope you have a very good quality set of headphones because you will need them. It doesn't work with regular speakers to get the full experience. But it will give you an indication of what it "exactly" sounds like when the rocket takes off and the boosters come back with the sonic booms.

For what it's worth, I'm using Sennheiser headphones

VE7OSR, 4WDTrout, HomerTaco and 3 others like this.
  9. May 6, 2019 at 7:16 PM
    medic2230

medic2230 @Koditten Pirate Radio member #002

Member:
    First Name:
    Murph
    Bama! Roll Tide
    Vehicle:
    2011 Taco 4x4 DCLB 2019 TRD PRO 4runner
    20% Tint, OME 3"complete lift with Dakar's, Light Racing UCA's, 285/75/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers, 10 HP TW sticker, Ultraguage, B.A.M.F. Rock Sliders, MedicFab Bed Rack, Relentless front bumper, Air Flow Snorkel, Ham comms, Tech Deck
    That was awesome. The Munich one was cool as hell too. Also that pyramid.

RearViewMirror likes this.
  10. May 6, 2019 at 7:29 PM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    I just found that by accident. It makes you feel like you are actually there. It's amazing with a good set of headphones.

VE7OSR and medic2230 like this.
  11. May 7, 2019 at 8:35 AM
    G.T.

G.T. Official TW Burrito Inspector

Member:
    First Name:
    G.T.
    CONUS
    Vehicle:
    2011 Pyrite Mica 4WD DCLB TRDSport w/ FlipPac
    Some stick on chrome from pep boys
    Fiberglass fire blankets. I’ve heard about them and am curious about their benefit and would they be recommended.

My initial plan would be to carry one in each 4wd vehicle as a precaution against a vehicle fire turning into a forest fire. I already carry ABC and halatron extinguishers.

12. May 8, 2019 at 7:23 AM
    Pchop

Pchop Beavis Killer

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob I
    Stuart, FL
    Vehicle:
    '09 Tacoma TRD
    I swear to god, if I never see another goddamn article on the fucking "royal couples" and their litters it will be to soon!!!

Jesus, between them, all the stupid celebrity bullshit that is all over the place and the stupid political fake news crap its infuriating. What ever just happened to real news?

:annoyed:

medic2230, Fishpond and 98tacoma27 like this.
  13. May 8, 2019 at 7:26 AM
    wilcam47

wilcam47 Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Idaho
    a while back my wife says "kate is having a baby" My first question who was kate? Then she says the royal lady...To which I said why does anyone give a $hit about her having a baby? lol

14. May 8, 2019 at 7:32 AM
    VE7OSR

VE7OSR 'interfering with Natural Selection since 1990'

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob II
    Okanagan, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 DCLB TRD Sport
    Armour: All-Pro Skid plates - IFS, transmission, and transfer case. Pelfreybilt rear standard plate bumper, Metal Tech Sliders w/ kickout and dimple die filler plates. Front Suspension: OME 885 + NitroCharger 9000 shocks + 1/2" spacers for a 3" lift. Superbumps replacing stock bumpstops. Camburg ball joint UCA SS braid brake lines Future: ADS Extended length, extended length UCA BJ to increase droop capability Rear Suspension: All-Pro Expedition rear leafs, Walker Evans 27" rear shocks, extended rear brake lines (Wheelers Offroad), U -bolt flip kit, rear Timbren bumpstops. Future: Hammer Hangers, Shock relocate, ADS 12" or 14" shock. Interior: Weatherteck floor liners - front, Wet Okoles- front, ScanGauge, LED interior & map lights. Power moonroof. Exterior: Raider Cobra canopy, retrofit headlight by Insight, LED bulbs all around, modified flasher unit for LEDs. Rear diff breather mod. Front diff vibe problem, driver's side needle bearing replaced with ECGS bushing. yet to install: HID Blazer Fog Retrofit, LED Flood & Spot, + switches, fuse panel. swaybar relocate blocks (build my own)
    From the perspective of this thread, with your wife's mention of Kate, I thought "Oh no, she didn't with that looser, she's got to be smarter than that."

sandjunkie, 98tacoma27 and wilcam47 like this.
  15. May 8, 2019 at 7:33 AM
    .劉煒

.劉煒 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Inferno DCSBTRDORMT
    Not sure I care about some other country's system of the descendants of the recipients of watery tarts throwing swords at them...

wilcam47 likes this.
  16. May 8, 2019 at 7:33 AM
    wilcam47

wilcam47 Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Idaho
    yeah....that would be really sad...

VE7OSR likes this.
  17. May 8, 2019 at 7:34 AM
    VE7OSR

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob II
    Okanagan, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 DCLB TRD Sport
    Armour: All-Pro Skid plates - IFS, transmission, and transfer case. Pelfreybilt rear standard plate bumper, Metal Tech Sliders w/ kickout and dimple die filler plates. Front Suspension: OME 885 + NitroCharger 9000 shocks + 1/2" spacers for a 3" lift. Superbumps replacing stock bumpstops. Camburg ball joint UCA SS braid brake lines Future: ADS Extended length, extended length UCA BJ to increase droop capability Rear Suspension: All-Pro Expedition rear leafs, Walker Evans 27" rear shocks, extended rear brake lines (Wheelers Offroad), U -bolt flip kit, rear Timbren bumpstops. Future: Hammer Hangers, Shock relocate, ADS 12" or 14" shock. Interior: Weatherteck floor liners - front, Wet Okoles- front, ScanGauge, LED interior & map lights. Power moonroof. Exterior: Raider Cobra canopy, retrofit headlight by Insight, LED bulbs all around, modified flasher unit for LEDs. Rear diff breather mod. Front diff vibe problem, driver's side needle bearing replaced with ECGS bushing. yet to install: HID Blazer Fog Retrofit, LED Flood & Spot, + switches, fuse panel. swaybar relocate blocks (build my own)
    Makes any possible drama in your life seem insignificant. 'They' can keep it, doesn't have an impact on my life at all.

wilcam47 likes this.
  18. May 8, 2019 at 7:36 AM
    VE7OSR

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob II
    Okanagan, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 DCLB TRD Sport
    I think theres a TV show about that sort of thing called Game of Thrones that sedentary couch lives and others go crazy about.

19. May 8, 2019 at 7:36 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "Ben" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 88 SR5 PU (SOLD), 98 TRD OR (CRUSHED), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    It did along time ago.
    That Kate dumped him.

wilcam47 likes this.
  20. May 8, 2019 at 7:40 AM
    VE7OSR

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob II
    Okanagan, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 DCLB TRD Sport
    I would think a blanket would have limited usefulness on the vehicle fire itself. As for a fire expanding into the forest, your shovel, feet, and hands removing fuel, and building a fire break would be most effective I would think.i would be happy to learn how it would be beneficial, apart from.a first glance, thinking that the blankets purpose is to smother, and limit burning fuel's access to oxygen.

Last edited: May 8, 2019
    G.T. likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top