1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

"40's & 50's" Midlife crisis/GTFO my lawn thread.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Matic, Jun 18, 2011.

1. May 21, 2019 at 9:10 AM
    4WDTrout

4WDTrout Perpetually dreaming of tall trees & rivers

Member:
    First Name:
    Theo
    Vehicle:
    08 4WD SR5 DCSB
    Total Tacoma nOOb.
    What machine did you clean your carpets with? I’m thinking that we need to do something similar to the carpets at our place o_O

wilcam47 likes this.
  2. May 21, 2019 at 9:13 AM
    4WDTrout

4WDTrout Perpetually dreaming of tall trees & rivers

Member:
    First Name:
    Theo
    Vehicle:
    08 4WD SR5 DCSB
    Total Tacoma nOOb.
    I’m very happy to see that your young man is on the mend and in good spirits!

HomerTaco likes this.
  3. May 21, 2019 at 9:15 AM
    wilcam47

wilcam47 Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2000 Toyota Tacoma
    4 inch lift
    we have a bissel power steamer similar to this, works good.

[​IMG]

4. May 21, 2019 at 9:30 AM
    CaptAmerica

CaptAmerica Asphalt Avenger! TTC#13

Member:
    First Name:
    Cap
    Austin TX
    Vehicle:
    Gen 2.9 DCLB TRD Sport w/tech
    Stickers and not enough wax
    I have the version of that from 25 years ago. Very impressed how long they last, because mine is still going strong.

wilcam47 likes this.
  5. May 21, 2019 at 9:41 AM
    TenBeers

TenBeers Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Pro Cavalry Blue
    CBI bed rack and sliders, CVT Mt. Bachelor, Uniden 520XL, WeatherTechs, TRD CAI, 1Up USA hitch rack, speaker upgrade, Total Chaos bed stiffeners
    Love it, saw that on Pinkbike.

6. May 21, 2019 at 11:31 AM
    RearViewMirror

RearViewMirror Saw things so much clearer once you... were in my

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB 4X4 TRD Off Road *Sold*
    wilcam47 likes this.
  7. May 21, 2019 at 11:38 AM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    Now that was good. I love all his videos (obviously). Good find :thumbsup:

8. May 21, 2019 at 1:32 PM
    krap22

krap22 Well-Known Member

Member:
    We put hardwood throughout our house when we built. Did it all myself (with my dad's help). Spent $3/sqft including finish. It would have been $15 to pay someone to do it the way i wanted. I don't regret it at all. No more dirty carpet.

Good to see him in good spirits. Hope his recover goes fast.

HomerTaco likes this.
  9. May 21, 2019 at 2:29 PM
    TenBeers

TenBeers Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Pro Cavalry Blue
    CBI bed rack and sliders, CVT Mt. Bachelor, Uniden 520XL, WeatherTechs, TRD CAI, 1Up USA hitch rack, speaker upgrade, Total Chaos bed stiffeners
    I did ours at our previous house after ripping out the carpet, but it was that floating click-lock bamboo from Home Depot. Had to go to 3 different Home Depots to get all I needed. Went with the premium underlay, so it was pretty quiet to walk on (the floor was above the man cave in the basement, so that was important). That strand-woven bamboo is super tough, like 6 times harder than oak.

Fast forward a bit, and we take on a couple of Shiba Inu puppy rescues with severe neurological issues (we are suckers for the underdogs). I set up a pen with those rubber floor tiles, but I should have put plastic under it. Urine soaked through the cracks and ruined the flooring -- in the corner were I started, in the room that connected to the family room, about a 30 foot length. I had to find enough replacement boards online (lucked out and actually found them, otherwise it would be a complete redo), and then take up the floor from all the way on the other end and lay it all back down again just to replace the ruined boards, about 15 of them or so. Surprisingly, having done it before, it only took me a couple of days. Good knee pads were a must.

Sadly, neither of the pups made it. Both of them improved for a bit but eventually went severely downhill. They had a condition where they were constantly dizzy, which made for a frightening existence and an aggressive response to stress. It was a bit rough on my girls -- I was against taking them on because I knew the most likely outcome, and we talked about it before jumping in, but knowing didn't make it any easier when the time came (yes, I cried). Good life lesson for them, though.

10. May 21, 2019 at 2:52 PM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    My ex wife and I got a rescue pup not long after we first got married. Cute little black lab mix. He was a great little puppy and loved to play. He grew really attached to me and followed me everywhere. Then one night my ex called me at the station and said something was wrong with him. He was backed into a corner and wouldn't come out. Everytime she tried to get close to him he started growling and he started peeing. So when I got home the next morning I walked in expecting him meet me at the door when I got home but he didn't. He was backed up in the laundry room shaking. I got down and tried to pet him but he just kind of lowered his head. He never growled but something was obviously wrong. I took him to the vet and he had distemper. Vet said that they could try to keep him comfortable but most dogs don't recover from distemper. Even if they do they most likely won't be right. He said the best thing for him was to put him down since he was suffering. So... that's what we did. I'm not one to get attached to animals very easily. But he took to me so fast and we were best friends for the few weeks we had him. So it was pretty rough. It's amazing how fast you can get attached to a pet.

When we got Sam I didn't want a cat because I was afraid he would tear up the house but he is the most dog like cat I've ever met. I was dead set against getting a dog when my wife went out and got Bear (I ended up naming him btw). But I won't lie and say that when something happens to either one of them I'll cry. Pets become a part of your family.

VE7OSR and jubei like this.
  11. May 21, 2019 at 2:57 PM
    wilcam47

wilcam47 Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2000 Toyota Tacoma
    4 inch lift
    RearViewMirror likes this.
  12. May 21, 2019 at 4:03 PM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    I'm not a country music fan by any stretch of the imagination but this is actually a pretty good rendition of this song. I really like the steel guitar.

Wadar and Hardscrabble like this.
  13. May 21, 2019 at 6:36 PM
    Blkvoodoo

Blkvoodoo a Hooka smoking caterpillar has given me the call

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Near Clayton NC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 DCSB, '97 4Runner SR5 5spd
    ive mentioned my wife and her condition previously, she’s doing well, but you can tell the chemo is kicking her pretty hard, we’re 3 treatments in and it’s starting to effect her everyday well being.

Bad enough she’s of the age of “the Change”, this is just kicking her ass to add to the misery of getting old. Joint and muscle pain are effecting her sleep quality now as well as her day to day (she’s still working).

Have any of you had occasion to use CBD oils or other ?
    Experiences ? Do’s, don’ts ?

I haven’t smoked in 30years, wasn’t fond of it then, just an occasional toke as it was being passed around. my knowledge of the stuff is minimal. i’ve not ruled out finding it if it gets to that point, pretty sure i’m in regular company of a few who enjoy....

i’d rather try the more legal options first....

what ya got ?

feel free to message me privately if you don’t want to discuss in open forum, i understand

Last edited: May 21, 2019
    wilcam47 likes this.
  14. May 21, 2019 at 7:04 PM
    HomerTaco

HomerTaco TOYWERX Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Bucks County Pa.
    Vehicle:
    four sticks, dual cases, zero fucks...
    Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill with 12-15 front-end swap/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad mini / Safari Snorkel / Auto-pilot mode / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust re-route / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift / Inchworm 4.7 crawlbox / twin stick FJ t-case / Davez off-road triple-stick kit/
    I don’t touch it but it helped my wife out a lot last summer when she had a pinched nerve in her back from falling off her bike. I got her a vape pen for it and 2 different cartridges of different types of it.

Certainly helped.

I know that’s not super informative. :oops:

I look at it like this: if your in a pain management situation then it can’t hurt to try. :notsure:

Blkvoodoo likes this.
  15. May 21, 2019 at 7:09 PM
    Blkvoodoo

Blkvoodoo a Hooka smoking caterpillar has given me the call

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Near Clayton NC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 DCSB, '97 4Runner SR5 5spd
    i want to start with something that will help her chill, relax a bit, i think she needs that more than anything right now. We’ve still got 3 more treatments and then probably surgery afterward....it’s gonna get worse before it gets better

wilcam47 likes this.
  16. May 21, 2019 at 7:32 PM
    HomerTaco

HomerTaco TOYWERX Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Bucks County Pa.
    Vehicle:
    Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill with 12-15 front-end swap/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad mini / Safari Snorkel / Auto-pilot mode / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust re-route / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift / Inchworm 4.7 crawlbox / twin stick FJ t-case / Davez off-road triple-stick kit/
    Can’t hurt, may help, I’d say that’s a no brainer. There’s a Thc bath bomb that’s also quite effective as a topical method.
    They can be difficult to obtain depending on where you live in the US.

17. May 21, 2019 at 7:36 PM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    Straight CBD oil is pretty much ineffective I'm sorry to say. I've bought the highest quality pure CBD oil that you can buy and it does nothing for me whatsoever and the cost is outrageous for the quality shit. To actually get any benefit from CBD oil it HAS to have a small amount of THC in it. It would never make you high at all but the THC along with CBD is the only treatment that actually provides any benefit as far as pain relief, nausea, etc... goes. The downside of that of course is, unless you live in a state that has medical marijuana (or recreational for that matter) you cannot get CBD oil with any amount of THC in it at all. I've heard a few people that swear by just CBD oil but IMO it is a placebo effect. I have a medical marijuana card and it works wonders. I've bought everything from tinctures, edibles, and pure hash oil. This is a very broad generalization but Sativa (in general) will give you more energy and allow you to function as long as you don't over do it. Indica (in general) will just make you chill out and make you want to listen to Comfortably Numb 20 times in a row (ask me how I know lol).

I found out my Biological Father was always against any sort of drugs (although he drank all his life). When he was in the final stages of stage 4 lung cancer his wife bought him some tincture from a dispensary. He said he wasn't going to take it but his wife told him "yes you are!". So she put a couple of drops underneath his tongue and went off to the kitchen. When she came back out she saw him putting some more drops underneath his tongue lol. I suppose he changed his mind about the medical benefits of marijuana at that point.

HomerTaco likes this.
  18. May 21, 2019 at 7:54 PM
    HomerTaco

HomerTaco TOYWERX Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Bucks County Pa.
    Vehicle:
    I can’t touch it because reasons but I know it has definite benefits.

RearViewMirror likes this.
  19. May 21, 2019 at 9:22 PM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    I smoked it all the time in highschool and college. Obviously I couldn't touch it after I got on the FD. In fact, when the FD called, I'm glad they gave me a few weeks before my physical was scheduled to come on the FD. But if I'm honest, I was still a little worried because I smoked a lot back then. But when they made it legal here I got my medical card after I retired. Not one person in the history of the world has EVER overdosed on marijuana. I'll go for a few months at a time sometimes without using any. But when the insomnia kicks in because the thoughts of all I've seen and done start creeping back in, it's nice to have when that happens. That's when I might use it more often. If I know I'm not going to be going anywhere on a certain day then sure... I'll use a little Sativa and do some work around the house. If I want to chill out when I go to bed I'll put in my headphones and listen to Pink Floyd and just float away.

I never told this story here but when I retired and we went to Colorado the week after. One of the first things that I did was visit a dispensary while we were walking around Durango. I walked in and there was this huge dude at the door and he scanned my drivers license and told me "enjoy". It was surreal. I'm standing in this shop and I've never seen so much marijuana in my life. I spent about an hour in there just talking to the guy behind the counter. He showed me a bunch of different types of strains and it smelled so good. I quickly realized that this isn't the sticks and twigs we used to smoke in high school and college. This professionally grown shit is unreal. So I bought some hash oil to put into a vape pen.
    Got back to the hotel we were staying at about 6:30pm and I told my wife I'm going to try this out and see what it does. It was a hybrid of Sativa and Indica. I had to buy a vape pen from the shop because it wouldn't fit on my mod. So I hit it and nothing. Hit it a few more times and after about the third hit it fired and I got that huge throat hit. And............ that's when I should have stopped. But I still didn't feel much. I figured the pen wasn't charged so I kept hitting it about every few mins. I probably hit it 20 times and each time I was getting a little bit of it but just didn't know it. I was sitting at the computer in the livingroom of the suite we were staying at and all the sudden the computer looked like it flew across the room. It was at this time that I knew that I fucked up.
    I got up and started digging though my backpack because I was focused on finding my toothbrush and toothpaste because I knew I was going to go comatose for a bit and the only thing on my mind was I didn't want to wake up with ass breath (strange what you think when your high). I looked at my wife sitting in the living room from the bedroom and mouthed to her "I fucked up". She just started laughing. So I laid down on the bed and told her she needed to take my daughter to go swimming because I didn't want her to see me like this. I really felt guilty because I had put myself in a position that I couldn't do anything and it reminded me of when I was drinking and my wife would have to take care of my daughter. I apologized to my wife and she just kind of laughed at me and said "it's okay". So my wife took her swimming and I laid on the bed and just chilled out. There was a smoke detector across the room from the bed and I just laid there looking at it thinking "why couldn't they have hung it straight?" "Why does the light have to be green and not blue?" Shit like that. I literally could not feel my body. So I laid there for about an hour and finally got up and tried to text my wife if she had both key cards for the room? It took me almost 15 mins to type that text. About the time I hit send she opened the door. I was like "god dammit lol". She asked if I wanted to go to the pool and I said said sure. I was fine by then. High as fuck but fine. We sat by the pool and just talked. I vividly remember her telling me "this is the first time I've seen you laugh and smile in so long".
    It was strange coming back down because I came down in plateaus. I had NEVER been that high in my life. And over the course of 3 hrs or so it would plateau down until I finally got to a point that I was like "okay... I've been this high before". But through that entire event, I remember everything that I said, did, everything that was happening around me, etc... When I was drinking I couldn't remember what I had said or did the night before. Needless to say, I've learned exactly what it takes to take the edge off without getting fucked up now. That was just and accident and a mistake on my part.

Whether you are on the side of legalization or not... it's coming. I "personally" think it will be unscheduled in around 10 years or so. I think it will take that long before they finally make it legal in all 50 states and it will be just like alcohol only much less harmful. I'm curious what's going to happen when it does become legal on a federal level? I know there are some states that are "right to work states" and there will be adjustments that have to be made. But it is legal for you to get as drunk as you want the night before as long as you don't show up to work impaired. New testing procedures are being developed for impairment with THC and that's the issue right now. THC stays in your system for up to a week if you just smoke one joint but obviously you're not impaired. If you smoke habitually it can stay in your system for up to (and over) a month. But you're not impaired if you smoke a joint when you get off of work each night. No different than drinking a six pack of beer. When you wake up in the morning you're not drunk. So it will be interesting to see what happens.

So... there's the story of what happened when I went to Colorado a couple years ago that I never told. It's legal there and it's now legal here. When we go back in a couple weeks I'll visit another dispensary and enjoy the mountain views from the poolside of our hotel.

jubei, medic2230, VE7OSR and 4 others like this.
  20. May 22, 2019 at 5:23 AM
    loosnut

loosnut Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    jerry
    feasterville pa
    Vehicle:
    06 dbl cab long bed
    ome 2.5lift leer cap
    I myself have never smoked.But hang with many people that do. One I particular who has a pacemaker and that is monitored every second of the day. He is straight with his doctor and tells him he smokes. The doctor said I can tell and it works great for you but I am not allowed to tell you that.He and his wife own their own business. She can tell if he has not smoked and tells him to go do it cause she can’t take him when he is straight. Too moody. Go take the edge of she tells him.

VE7OSR, Blackout14 and RearViewMirror like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top