1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

"40's & 50's" Midlife crisis/GTFO my lawn thread.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Matic, Jun 18, 2011.

1. Jun 22, 2019 at 7:01 PM
    HomerTaco

HomerTaco ---> Insert witty comment here <--- Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Bucks County Pa.
    Vehicle:
    four sticks, dual cases, zero fucks...
    ...................................................................................................................................................... Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill with 12-15 front-end swap/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad mini / Safari Snorkel / Auto-pilot mode / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust re-route / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift / Inchworm 4.7 crawlbox / twin stick FJ t-case / Davez off-road triple-stick kit/
    On a different note: Took the family to see the 4th Toy Story movie this evening... holy shit! Pixar really knows how to pour acid all over your emotions! Really great conclusion to the series. I thought it would be really difficult to top the conclusion of the 3rd one but they knocked it out of the park.

10/10 would recommend. :thumbsup:

2. Jun 22, 2019 at 7:47 PM
    RearViewMirror

RearViewMirror Saw things so much clearer once you... were in my

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB 4X4 TRD Off Road *Sold*
    Ah man... Let him have his fun. I know I sure enjoyed my time in college. It looks as if he is also. As long as he is making the grades (like you said), it is the best time of his life. I honestly don't know how I didn't get arrested in while in college since I started at 17 and joined a fraternity. Lets just say it was the best four years of my life.

I wish I could say that my daughter won't do some of the same things that I did when I was in college but being pragmatic about it... I'm sure she will. I hate to think about it but as long as she makes the grades and doesn't get pregnant (or become a stripper) I'll be okay with it. All of us that went to college remember it as some of the best times of our lives.

I honestly don't remember the last Toy Story. I know they all were great and provided entertainment for kids and adults. I remember how much I loved the first Shrek. There was enough in that movie that appealed to kids and adults. I know for certain that there were times when Lord Farquaad was pronounced Lord Fuckwad. I love movies like that.

sandjunkie and HomerTaco like this.
  3. Jun 22, 2019 at 8:03 PM
    HomerTaco

HomerTaco ---> Insert witty comment here <--- Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Bucks County Pa.
    Vehicle:
    four sticks, dual cases, zero fucks...
    ...................................................................................................................................................... Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill with 12-15 front-end swap/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad mini / Safari Snorkel / Auto-pilot mode / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust re-route / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift / Inchworm 4.7 crawlbox / twin stick FJ t-case / Davez off-road triple-stick kit/
    <——— Was a whore in college. :oops:

4. Jun 22, 2019 at 8:04 PM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    <------- Same lol

sandjunkie and HomerTaco like this.
  5. Jun 22, 2019 at 10:48 PM
    sandjunkie

sandjunkie Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    OC
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC 4X4 TRD Sport
    RCD Lift, Custon Alcan Leafs, Ballistic Jesters, Duratracs 285/70/17,Fold-a-Cover Elite G4 Tonneau, Black Grill Emblem, Sock Monkey Yeti Decals, Tundra 4x4 emblem sprayed black, Debadged, LED interior, Xenon Depot 6000K HID Headlights, Xenon Depot 3000k Fogs with Lamin-X Coating, Borla Exhaust - Chopped, Weathertecs, Custom Katzkin Leather TRD Interior.
    Amen Brotha. It’s what I saved up for. I wanted my boys to have these experiences. The stories they tell me are hilarious and bring me back to my college years.

RearViewMirror and VE7OSR like this.
  6. Jun 23, 2019 at 2:23 AM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    My little buddy.

And to think I was very displeased when my wife brought him home because I didn't want a dog. It seemed he sensed that and tried his best to change that. Well... it worked. He will not leave my side. Wherever I am he is. I can't even watch TV without him being right next to me. It's amazing how fast you become attached to a pet. I love him dearly and he is truly a part of the family. He is such a sweet dog and has never met a stranger. And god is he smart. He's a horrible watchdog though. He's good at letting us know if something is outside but if someone broke in he would just lick them to death. But he is the greatest dog I've ever had.

[​IMG]

7. Jun 23, 2019 at 2:36 AM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    On a side note... I have a small fracture in my T-7 vertebrae in my spine. It most likely started when I had my wreck when the person behind me hit me going 65 while I was sitting still. Then putting on my SCBA for all of those years. Helping my parents lay 459 sandbags and moving all of their furniture out of the house was probably what set it off. When we were in Colorado it really started to hurt. I noticed it the most while watching the game. I couldn't lean back in the seat because it felt as if someone was sticking a knife in my back.

Went to the doctor when we got back and they ran a series of x-rays and found a small fracture in my spine. It hits a nerve and sometimes it feels as if I have bugs crawling up my lower legs. I have trouble getting comfortable sleeping. I fell asleep watching something on Netflix sitting up and woke up which is why I'm posting this at 4:36am. I've been taking Gabapentin for the nerve pain but it doesn't seem to help unless I eat it like candy. So that can't be good for me. The next step is an MRI and after that I don't know? I do know that I don't want back surgery if I can keep from it. I've never heard anyone that has had back surgery come out the other side better. I've had a bunch of friends that have had it and all of them seem worse after it's done. So I'm terrified of having that done.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
  8. Jun 23, 2019 at 7:33 AM
    sandjunkie

sandjunkie Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    OC
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC 4X4 TRD Sport
    RCD Lift, Custon Alcan Leafs, Ballistic Jesters, Duratracs 285/70/17,Fold-a-Cover Elite G4 Tonneau, Black Grill Emblem, Sock Monkey Yeti Decals, Tundra 4x4 emblem sprayed black, Debadged, LED interior, Xenon Depot 6000K HID Headlights, Xenon Depot 3000k Fogs with Lamin-X Coating, Borla Exhaust - Chopped, Weathertecs, Custom Katzkin Leather TRD Interior.

Good luck getting it fixed. Back problems are some of the worst. We have a program at our hospital that minimizes back surgery and treats back problems in a non-surgical manner as much as possible. Most can be resolved without surgery. I’d encourage you do look to see if there is a similar back/spine program near you.

RearViewMirror likes this.
  9. Jun 23, 2019 at 7:35 AM
    TenBeers

TenBeers Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Pro Cavalry Blue
    CBI bed rack and sliders, CVT Mt. Shasta, Uniden 520XL, WeatherTechs, TRD CAI, 1Up USA hitch rack, speaker upgrade, Total Chaos bed stiffeners, Warn Hidden Winch Bumper and winch
    Wow, that took a while to find. Agree, avoid surgery unless it is super mild, like just addressing the nerve. Consider a good chiropractor or acupuncture, or at least talk to one and see what they think. Tried to talk my mom out of it years ago, and she has had nothing but problems since. Hope they find something good to help you. My old shoulder injury from HS football has reared its head, but I have the exercises from PT to address.

On the college topic, I had to fund my own college, was finishing capstone holding my first daughter with one arm in front of the computer. But things got a bit wild before that for sure. Deloitte is some great experience! Covering my daughters for now, but neither are nearly that motivated yet.

10. Jun 23, 2019 at 7:44 AM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    I've got to go get an MRI in a couple of weeks. It's a small fracture but it's hitting one of the nerves that runs down my spine if I move a certain way. I sleep on my stomach so that is out of the question right now. The only way that it doesn't seem to hurt is if I'm sitting up and not moving. I'm sure it's been there for quite a while and once I helped my parents I think that pretty much did it. It was weird... Before the game we went to a restaurant in Denver to eat and it started hurting. Not bad but it was just uncomfortable. Once we got to the game they let us in about two hours early for batting practice. The outfield had bleachers and I couldn't lean back it hurt so bad. Once we got to our seats it wasn't quite as bad but I still couldn't lean back. It felt like one of my vertebrates was sticking out. Then the drive back sure wasn't fun. There was no way I could get comfortable. I called the Dr. from Colorado and made an appointment as soon as possible and I've got a small fracture in T-7. I'm hoping it will heal by itself since it's a fracture. But right now it sucks. I'm taking Prednisone, Gabapentin, and Soma (don't know why he gave me Soma but it makes me sleep). Of all the injuries I've had this one sucks because everything is connected to your back. Like I mentioned... If I move a certain way it hurts like hell and it feels like I've got bugs crawling up my lower legs.

11. Jun 23, 2019 at 7:54 AM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    I've avoided chiropractors like the plague. I've never been to one but I always considered them pseudoscience. Maybe I'm wrong? I just have a hard time believing in cracking your bones and acupuncture. I just never understood how sticking needles in your body could possibly help? I do know one thing. If I did go to a chiropractor and he touched that vertebrae I would lose my shit it would hurt so bad.

As far as college goes. My daughters college is paid for as long as she goes to college in state. I'm trying to convince her to go to the University of Arkansas. I don't really want her to go to Henderson, UALR, UCA, ASU, etc... I just want her to go to the best school (assuming she wants to go to college) that she can. I'm not saying the others are bad but UA would carry the most prestige.

12. Jun 23, 2019 at 8:26 AM
    TenBeers

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    CBI bed rack and sliders, CVT Mt. Shasta, Uniden 520XL, WeatherTechs, TRD CAI, 1Up USA hitch rack, speaker upgrade, Total Chaos bed stiffeners, Warn Hidden Winch Bumper and winch
    I was a skeptic as well, and there's a lot less bone cracking than you might think. Getting things aligned can take a a few visits, but for me it does a world of good for just general well-being. I haven't been in a while, though, haven't found one here.

G.T. likes this.
  13. Jun 23, 2019 at 8:35 AM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    This has always been my view of chiropractors. Maybe they can help with some things but I don't think they can help with this.

14. Jun 23, 2019 at 10:48 AM
    TenBeers

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    Lol, some of them are wackos for sure, but there is real science behind it. They surely can't help you with a cracked vertebrae, but they can help you with everything around it to make sure things aren't pulling in odd directions. But I would get the MRI first for sure, then work with PT and chiro for core strength and balance to help with pain management. And move to Colorado for other kinds of pain management.

15. Jun 23, 2019 at 11:55 AM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    We have dispensaries here now. So although it doesn't take care of the pain... it sure makes you forget about it for a while ;)

*EDIT* Every PT I've ever been to has made the problem worse. I've never had good luck with them. The only thing that has made it better is time. If I hadn't gone to PT I would have probably healed in half the time.

16. Jun 23, 2019 at 1:14 PM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    If it's not Bear laying all over me it's Sam sitting in my lap while I'm on the computer. I don't know what it is about me that they like so much?

[​IMG]

HomerTaco and sandjunkie like this.
  17. Jun 23, 2019 at 1:31 PM
    TenBeers

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    I had a cute student armed with fresh knowledge and desire to do well. Worked out great for both of us. That's the thing about dealing with anyone in the healing arts. You have to find a good match. Move on if you don't like them or get a bad vibe. Orthopedists and surgeons are weird, or at least the good ones are.

My thought is that you are the head of the family unit and are the most likely to be able to protect them, just like you do with your wife and daughter. They have somewhat disproven the alpha dog theory and shown it's more about the family unit. There is a pecking order below that, though, and if I was a betting man I would put money on the cat being a bit higher in your family unit. Because cat.

All 5 of our dogs gravitate to me, especially under stressful situations. Yeah. Too many dogs. But the old girl needs a vet trip, and I am afraid it might be her last.

HomerTaco likes this.
  18. Jun 23, 2019 at 2:08 PM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    Bear likes Starbucks. Sorry for the shitty picture but he was having a blast. I had to calm him down because he hates storms and it is storming here like crazy.

[​IMG]

Hardscrabble and G.T. like this.
  19. Jun 23, 2019 at 3:25 PM
    TenBeers

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    Lots of big booms here today, estimating 4 inches of rain. In laws are here from TX and said they have never heard thunder like that. Sun is out now, though. Flood warnings still in effect. Turn around, don't drown. I heard lots of evacs and rescues going on in the Ozark NF.

wilcam47 likes this.
  20. Jun 23, 2019 at 7:40 PM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    Pretty much the same here. It's forecast to rain most of the night with heavy thunderstorms. Just had a huge downpour that lasted for about 30 mins and I wouldn't be surprised if it rained an inch here in that time period. I couldn't even see the house across the street.
    I will never ever complain about rain in the summertime. After having to replace my yard with new sod back in 2011 I will never turn down rain in the summer. I remember I laid the first piece of sod on June 1st and it never rained one drop here until the middle of Sept. That was also the year it broke all the records for heat. We had one stretch in Aug. that it reached 116 degrees for five days straight. Factor in the humidity and it felt like it was 332 degrees. The only good thing about that year is we had to recert in swiftwater so that made going to work a little more bearable.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
    VE7OSR, HomerTaco and wilcam47 like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top