1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

"40's & 50's" Midlife crisis/GTFO my lawn thread.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Matic, Jun 18, 2011.

1. Jun 27, 2019 at 1:53 PM
    RearViewMirror

RearViewMirror Saw things so much clearer once you... were in my

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB 4X4 TRD Off Road *Sold*
    I'm going with she's at least 20

2. Jun 27, 2019 at 3:19 PM
    wdb

wdb intolerance intolerant

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    the perimeter
    Vehicle:
    plain jane
    Hella 4000 eurobeams, Amp Bed Step, IamMrYo mirror riser, Wet Okoles, HomerTaco satoshi, retrofit intermittent wipers & backup camera
    20'll get your head cut off.

RearViewMirror likes this.
  3. Jun 27, 2019 at 3:24 PM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    I'm not willing to take the chance with any of them lol. Just pointing out the one that was cute. Add to that, I'm married and I doubt my wife would be fond of that ;)

CXYyuppie likes this.
  4. Jun 27, 2019 at 3:58 PM
    TenBeers

TenBeers Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Pro Cavalry Blue
    CBI bed rack and sliders, CVT Mt. Shasta, Uniden 520XL, WeatherTechs, TRD CAI, 1Up USA hitch rack, speaker upgrade, Total Chaos bed stiffeners, Warn Hidden Winch Bumper and winch
    I wouldn't want to have to explain to my 21 yo daughter. But I might try.

EDIT: There's a formula: (Your Age / 2) + 7. That's the youngest you should go. Actually works out pretty well even at all ages. Like if you are 8, you shouldn't date anyone under 11.

5. Jun 27, 2019 at 4:04 PM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    So in a couple of years we are moving to Colorado and I'm trying to figure out what vehicle I want to purchase. My original thought was a 4Runner TRD Pro but I'm starting to rethink that option. I don't need another Tacoma as I don't need the bed. I thought long and hard about the 4Runner but then the Jeep JL Rubicon came along and I'm seriously considering one of those in a four door variant since they are pretty much the same price out the door. So far, all of the reviews that I have watched on them have been very positive with the improvements that they have made to the platform. I really like the dedicated aux connections so you can hook up a winch, lights, air compressor, etc... My preference is a soft top rather than a hard top just for the ease of use when the weather is nice and within a min you can fold back the roof for some sun. The ability to take off the doors is a plus also. If I bought a 4Runner I'd have to add thousands of dollars to get it the way that I want. But that said... I'd probably do the same thing with the jeep so that is kind of a wash.

I'd be lying if this didn't help my decision because she is fucking gorgeous.
    Skip to 7:43

Not only this video but all of their videos and the sheer amount of trails they take their jeep on.

I highly recommend subscribing to their channel.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
    VE7OSR likes this.
  6. Jun 27, 2019 at 5:20 PM
    HomerTaco

HomerTaco ---> Insert witty comment here <--- Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Bucks County Pa.
    Vehicle:
    four sticks, dual cases, zero fucks...
    ...................................................................................................................................................... Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill with 12-15 front-end swap/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad mini / Safari Snorkel / Auto-pilot mode / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust re-route / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift / Inchworm 4.7 crawlbox / twin stick FJ t-case / Davez off-road triple-stick kit/
    I don’t have any problem with jeeps. Ive wheeled with many jeep guys and had a lot of fun. My preference is Toyota simply due the reliability. I know there are jeeps with 194K on the odometer like my truck but I would not be as comfortable with driving one of them 5000 miles for a cross country adventure. I’d do it in my truck tomorrow without a second thought. :D

VE7OSR, Scott B. and CaptAmerica like this.
  7. Jun 27, 2019 at 6:19 PM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    The video I posted, they drive their Jeep all over the country. Granted they have heavily modified it but the still drive it and take it on some hairy trails. You should watch some of their videos of some of the places they take their Jeep. We will be down to a one car family in a little over a year. So I'm seriously considering getting a Rubicon 4 door. I'll of course mod it up but that' just my style. I don't need that much room in the back and whatever I do need I can just lower the top and seats to get what I want home. If not... I'll buy a trailer. I just know if I buy a 4Runner I'll have to do a shit ton of work on it to get it where I want it. The Jeep comes standard with a lot of the things that I would put on the 4Runner. I dunno... I've still got time to think about it.

HomerTaco likes this.
  8. Jun 27, 2019 at 7:08 PM
    HomerTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Bucks County Pa.
    Vehicle:
    ...................................................................................................................................................... Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill with 12-15 front-end swap/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad mini / Safari Snorkel / Auto-pilot mode / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust re-route / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift / Inchworm 4.7 crawlbox / twin stick FJ t-case / Davez off-road triple-stick kit/
    Go for it. :cool:

9. Jun 28, 2019 at 7:33 AM
    VE7OSR

VE7OSR Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob II
    Okanagan, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 DCLB TRD Sport
    Armour: All-Pro Skid plates - IFS, transmission, and transfer case. Pelfreybilt rear standard plate bumper, Metal Tech Sliders w/ kickout and dimple die filler plates. Front Suspension: OME 885 + NitroCharger 9000 shocks + 1/2" spacers for a 3" lift. Superbumps replacing stock bumpstops. Camburg ball joint UCA SS braid brake lines Future: ADS Extended length, extended length UCA BJ to increase droop capability Rear Suspension: All-Pro Expedition rear leafs, Walker Evans 27" rear shocks, extended rear brake lines (Wheelers Offroad), U -bolt flip kit, rear Timbren bumpstops. Future: Hammer Hangers, Shock relocate, ADS 12" or 14" shock. Interior: Weatherteck floor liners - front, Wet Okoles- front, ScanGauge, LED interior & map lights. Power moonroof. Exterior: Raider Cobra canopy, retrofit headlight by Insight, LED bulbs all around, modified flasher unit for LEDs. Rear diff breather mod. Front diff vibe problem, driver's side needle bearing replaced with ECGS bushing. yet to install: HID Blazer Fog Retrofit, LED Flood & Spot, + switches, fuse panel. swaybar relocate blocks (build my own)
    She does well as a presenter and getting interaction with people.

10. Jun 28, 2019 at 8:19 AM
    VE7OSR

VE7OSR Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob II
    Okanagan, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 DCLB TRD Sport
    Armour: All-Pro Skid plates - IFS, transmission, and transfer case. Pelfreybilt rear standard plate bumper, Metal Tech Sliders w/ kickout and dimple die filler plates. Front Suspension: OME 885 + NitroCharger 9000 shocks + 1/2" spacers for a 3" lift. Superbumps replacing stock bumpstops. Camburg ball joint UCA SS braid brake lines Future: ADS Extended length, extended length UCA BJ to increase droop capability Rear Suspension: All-Pro Expedition rear leafs, Walker Evans 27" rear shocks, extended rear brake lines (Wheelers Offroad), U -bolt flip kit, rear Timbren bumpstops. Future: Hammer Hangers, Shock relocate, ADS 12" or 14" shock. Interior: Weatherteck floor liners - front, Wet Okoles- front, ScanGauge, LED interior & map lights. Power moonroof. Exterior: Raider Cobra canopy, retrofit headlight by Insight, LED bulbs all around, modified flasher unit for LEDs. Rear diff breather mod. Front diff vibe problem, driver's side needle bearing replaced with ECGS bushing. yet to install: HID Blazer Fog Retrofit, LED Flood & Spot, + switches, fuse panel. swaybar relocate blocks (build my own)
    Let us know how that works out for you. Looks like he is trying to collect virgins in advance of his demise.

Hardscrabble likes this.
  11. Jun 28, 2019 at 8:22 AM
    CaptAmerica

CaptAmerica Asphalt Avenger! TTC#13

Member:
    First Name:
    Cap
    Austin TX
    Vehicle:
    Gen 2.9 DCLB TRD Sport w/tech
    Stickers and not enough wax
    I doubt there are any in that picture.

G.T. and 98tacoma27 like this.
  12. Jun 28, 2019 at 12:49 PM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    I'm fucked. Went and had an MRI and I have a fracture in my T 7 vertebrae. It's not a big fracture and it hasn't leaked any fluid but it is pinching a nerve and they are worried about when it starts to heal that it might make a spur that will push against the nerve even further. So it appears my option at this point is to go in and have surgery and they basically fill the fracture with concrete (for lack of a better word) to fuse the vertebrae. So I have two options. Let it try to heal on its own or have surgery on my back. The Dr. is not really fond of operating so high up in the thoracic part of the back as opposed to the lower part. If the surgery goes well then there shouldn't be an issue. If not... I'll be in pain for the rest of my life.

wilcam47 likes this.
  13. Jun 28, 2019 at 12:52 PM
    CaptAmerica

CaptAmerica Asphalt Avenger! TTC#13

Member:
    First Name:
    Cap
    Austin TX
    Vehicle:
    Gen 2.9 DCLB TRD Sport w/tech
    Stickers and not enough wax
    And if you don't you'll be in the place my brother is at wishing he'd had the surgery a few years ago.

You're going to do what is best for you, but after seeing what's become of Jim I'd be getting the surgery if it was me.

Good luck whatever happens.

HomerTaco likes this.
  14. Jun 28, 2019 at 12:54 PM
    HomerTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Bucks County Pa.
    Vehicle:
    Shit. Sorry to hear that. :(

wilcam47 and RearViewMirror like this.
  15. Jun 28, 2019 at 1:25 PM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    The issue is most back surgeons do not want to operate on the thoracic part of the back. Lower back surgery is more common place but the further you go up the back the worse it gets. He's doing everything he can before operating.

16. Jun 28, 2019 at 2:24 PM
    TenBeers

TenBeers Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Pro Cavalry Blue
    CBI bed rack and sliders, CVT Mt. Shasta, Uniden 520XL, WeatherTechs, TRD CAI, 1Up USA hitch rack, speaker upgrade, Total Chaos bed stiffeners, Warn Hidden Winch Bumper and winch
    Dude, that sucks, but kind of good that they are looking at options. Why hasn't it started healing already? I thought you said this was an old injury, I would have thought it would have started healing by now, if it was going to. Hoping for the best outcome for you.

I think that's one reason I wait so long to go to the doctor. Sometimes you just don't want to know. But better to find out and start working the problem.

17. Jun 28, 2019 at 3:41 PM
    4WDTrout

4WDTrout Perpetually dreaming of tall trees & rivers

Member:
    First Name:
    Theo
    Vehicle:
    08 4WD SR5 DCSB
    Total Tacoma nOOb.
    Very sorry to hear that. :(

I was always under the impression that surgery was the last resort. Then again, I know that can’t apply to every case so...

I wish you luck either route you decide to go. Hang in there

wilcam47 likes this.
  18. Jun 28, 2019 at 5:10 PM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    I honestly think that it started back in 99 when the guy ran into the back of my truck when I was sitting still and he hit me doing 65. It was sore then but nothing unbearable. I was off work for a month when that happened. Then I think that it didn't help putting on an SCBA thousands of times in my career at structure fires. When you put on your equipment you are automatically wearing almost 90lbs of gear before you even pick up a tool to begin work. Add to that, there is just no way on the FD that you can lift with your legs and not use your back. It just doesn't work like that in a fireground situation. So over the years of doing all that I'm sure it made it even worse though it never really gave me much problems. Then the countless numbers of wrecks I've had on my bikes over the years I'm sure didn't help either. But I think the straw that broke the camel's back was filling and placing all of those sandbags and then having to go down the next day and move their furniture.

I'm sure that vertebrae was weak for most of my life but being younger I just dealt with it. I'm almost 50 now and things change. So I really don't know what I'm going to do? Today has sucked because I've had allergies all day. I took 3 benadryl because I bet I sneezed over 100 times and you have no idea how bad that hurts until you have a fractured disk. I was about to cry. So I spent most of the day passed out in bed after taking the benadryl and now I feel like complete ass.

19. Jun 28, 2019 at 10:34 PM
    G.T.

G.T. Official TW Burrito Inspector

Member:
    First Name:
    G.T.
    CONUS
    Vehicle:
    2011 Pyrite Mica 4WD DCLB TRDSport w/ FlipPac
    Some stick on chrome from pep boys
    Went and saw the Yesterday movie. With all of the suspended disbelief you’d expect, it was quite good. Bit of comedy, romance, situational insanity, and some of the best Beatles music all wound up together. When it comes out on Blu-ray I’ll add it to our Plex collection.

HomerTaco likes this.
  20. Jun 29, 2019 at 4:13 AM
    wdb

wdb intolerance intolerant

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    the perimeter
    Vehicle:
    plain jane
    Hella 4000 eurobeams, Amp Bed Step, IamMrYo mirror riser, Wet Okoles, HomerTaco satoshi, retrofit intermittent wipers & backup camera
    My wife fractured her T11 vertebra a few years ago in a fall. She wore a clamshell brace for 6-8 weeks, and a back brace for a month or two after that. The fractures healed on their own, no cement. Recovery back to full strength took a LONG time, she's still not back all the way to be honest. Back injuries are a b*tch.

RearViewMirror likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top