1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

"40's & 50's" Midlife crisis/GTFO my lawn thread.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Matic, Jun 18, 2011.

1. Aug 13, 2019 at 12:01 PM
    shane100700

shane100700 Retired, now a stay at home husband!

Member:
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2019 DCSB, OR
    Rocket Boosters
    With all the helicopter parents and ahole kids, there’s a reason I didn’t seriously entertain teaching as a second career.

Kinda sad to because I really enjoyed my college kids when I taught ROTC. Parents don’t try to get involved with “education,” when it’s the military teaching. Although I’m surprised they don’t try.

MQQSE and .劉煒 like this.
  2. Aug 13, 2019 at 12:21 PM
    G.T.

G.T. Official TW Burrito Inspector

Member:
    First Name:
    G.T.
    CONUS
    Vehicle:
    2011 Pyrite Mica 4WD DCLB TRDSport w/ FlipPac
    Some stick on chrome from pep boys
    Middle school kids are the worst people on the planet. Their teachers are gluttons for abuse.

To date we don’t have Xbox or similar, we do have bees, a fishing pond, garden, and books to occupy his time after chores, scouts, archery, piano, and juijitsu.

I’m constantly humbled and proud to have teachers inform us that he is the politest child in class. He’s still a kid and he’s going to tear the limits like all of them will do. He’s just found that the limits do exist and that there are repercussions for our actions.

3. Aug 13, 2019 at 1:15 PM
    RearViewMirror

RearViewMirror Saw things so much clearer once you... were in my

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB 4X4 TRD Off Road *Sold*
    I agree.

I'll never complain about the teachers that my daughter has had so far. Almost every one of them have been great. The only complaint I have is we don't pay them enough. I've had the good fortune of being able to work with a lot of them by helping out when needed. Especially the science teachers. That is one reason we moved to this area. It has the best schools in the state. Today is my daughter's first day back to school and they just built a brand new school at the cost of $51,127,800 just for two grades. It is fucking unreal.

But kids will always do stupid shit. I sure as hell did. I don't think it's much different now than it was when I was growing up (with the exception of school shootings), we just hear about it more due to the immediacy of the way news is distributed these days. I will agree that middle school kids are the worst. They do and say things that we would have never gotten away with when I was growing up. Hell... I filed a police report on one of them last year when my daughter was going through all that shit just to make sure he had it on his record until he was 18. I'm hoping it effects his ability to get into college. Though judging by this kid, I doubt very seriously he goes to college.

I can't complain about my daughter. She's given us very little trouble (so far). She's only been in real trouble once and that was at the first of the summer when she pulled her little stunt. But other than that I certainly can't complain. She comes to me with everything. Hell... she was spending the night with some friends the other night and called me at around 12:30am needing some advice. I'm just glad that she can come to me with anything. She got off the phone and said "thank you Dad, I love you so much". That's about all I can ask from her.

4. Aug 13, 2019 at 2:01 PM
    sandjunkie

sandjunkie Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    OC
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC 4X4 TRD Sport
    RCD Lift, Custon Alcan Leafs, Ballistic Jesters, Duratracs 285/70/17,Fold-a-Cover Elite G4 Tonneau, Black Grill Emblem, Sock Monkey Yeti Decals, Tundra 4x4 emblem sprayed black, Debadged, LED interior, Xenon Depot 6000K HID Headlights, Xenon Depot 3000k Fogs with Lamin-X Coating, Borla Exhaust - Chopped, Weathertecs, Custom Katzkin Leather TRD Interior.
    Couple personal updates.
    My older son finished up his internship at Deloitte. He has accepted an offer for employment in Los Angeles FSI (Financial Services Industry) Audit beginning in October 2020. So, October 2020 I get a nice raise!!
    Also, my younger son passed his Physics 1 summer class and is now taking Physics 2 in the second summer session at UCSB. He also got a job as a valet. We are celebrating the little steps of adulting.

Today is my 25th Wedding anniversary. My wife has been in Phoenix tending to her brother who had an accident. He slipped on a boat launch ramp and hit his head. He ended up with a brain bleed and air lifted to the ICU. He developed Pneumonia and ARDS and was on deaths doorstep. He spent two weeks in a Roto-prone bed. He is now responding to treatment and back in a normal bed. My wife will be there until the end of the week.

1994 at its finest
    [​IMG]

5. Aug 13, 2019 at 2:10 PM
    CaptAmerica

CaptAmerica Asphalt Avenger! TTC#13

Member:
    First Name:
    Cap
    Austin TX
    Vehicle:
    Gen 2.9 DCLB TRD Sport w/tech
    Stickers and not enough wax
    Congrats! Today is also our anniversary, but 26 years. Met on Friday the 13th, married on Friday the 13th.

Hope your BIL recovers. That’s a tough one.

6. Aug 13, 2019 at 2:11 PM
    sandjunkie

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    OC
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC 4X4 TRD Sport
    RCD Lift, Custon Alcan Leafs, Ballistic Jesters, Duratracs 285/70/17,Fold-a-Cover Elite G4 Tonneau, Black Grill Emblem, Sock Monkey Yeti Decals, Tundra 4x4 emblem sprayed black, Debadged, LED interior, Xenon Depot 6000K HID Headlights, Xenon Depot 3000k Fogs with Lamin-X Coating, Borla Exhaust - Chopped, Weathertecs, Custom Katzkin Leather TRD Interior.

Awesome, Happy Anniversary!!

Thanks, He is the 18 year old kid in this pic on the far left.

CaptAmerica likes this.
  7. Aug 13, 2019 at 2:17 PM
    HomerTaco

HomerTaco TOYWERX Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Bucks County Pa.
    Vehicle:
    four sticks, dual cases, zero fucks...
    Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill with 12-15 front-end swap/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad mini / Safari Snorkel / Auto-pilot mode / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust re-route / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift / Inchworm 4.7 crawlbox / twin stick FJ t-case / Davez off-road triple-stick kit/
    Yes. I get that from time to time and it's the goods. :D

RearViewMirror, sandjunkie and MQQSE like this.
  8. Aug 13, 2019 at 2:37 PM
    MQQSE

MQQSE GOB, Not Ur Normal 3rd Gen'r

Member:
    First Name:
    Chief Pal Guy (aka Rob III)
    Up there ... a bit to the left
    Vehicle:
    '19 CAV BLU 4x4 DC TRD OR V6 MT Tacoma "Stitch"
    Just some pins so far.
    This is the exact phrase I drilled into both our boys.

I probably spent too much time pushing airplanes around the globe, and regret that I didn't vector them more towards an education and career path, versus letting them find their own career path as they both have. But I'm proud to say they are both independent and productive members of society.
    I believe you are correct the basic element has always been there. My son manages people twice his age in some cases, and tells me stories of how he doesn't understand how a 40 or 50 something year old doesn't have any integrity or sense of job accomplishment the right way the first time every time.

Thoughts and prayers for your BIL. :pray:

VE7OSR likes this.
  9. Aug 13, 2019 at 2:44 PM
    sandjunkie

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    OC
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC 4X4 TRD Sport
    Congrats on your sons. That is about as much as we can hope for as parents along with them being happy good people.

Thanks. The prayers are much appreciated. He still has a long road ahead.

10. Aug 13, 2019 at 2:48 PM
    shane100700

shane100700 Retired, now a stay at home husband!

Member:
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2019 DCSB, OR
    Rocket Boosters
    Sorry can’t resist... did you get a liter of cola for the guy with the mustache?! He looks like someone that might like cola.

... car ramrod

Happy 25th btw! Better make sure to bring some flowers home or more when she gets back!

Hopefully the brother-in-law keeps on his line of recovery. That kind of stuff can be hard to deal with.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019 at 3:22 PM
    CXYyuppie and sandjunkie like this.
  11. Aug 13, 2019 at 2:55 PM
    MQQSE

MQQSE GOB, Not Ur Normal 3rd Gen'r

Member:
    First Name:
    Chief Pal Guy (aka Rob III)
    Up there ... a bit to the left
    Vehicle:
    '19 CAV BLU 4x4 DC TRD OR V6 MT Tacoma "Stitch"
    Just some pins so far.
    Thank you. You have much to be proud of with your sons, kudos to you as well.
    BIL's condition sounds like baby steps one day at a time. Glad he's making steady progress. And thankful your wife and you had the time and resources to be there for him. That is a sacrifice many aren't willing to make in this self-centered leaning society we find ourselves. Great example that helps restore my faith there are still good people in this world. Thank you.

Wish the media would run more stories in that vein, but I reckon that doesn't market as well. Better stop before I go off and get myself banned from my last safe refuge of social media. ;)

sandjunkie and RearViewMirror like this.
  12. Aug 13, 2019 at 3:34 PM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    Brother, there really are WAY more good people in the world than there are bad. I firmly believe that. Even after seeing the worst of humanity for an entire career. We just hear about the bad shit constantly. The good shit is only run as a fluff piece at the end of a news broadcast. Whatever bleeds leads. That is precisely why I won't watch the news. It doesn't matter anyway, I can't change it on a large scale. I could / can only change it on a personal basis which was fine.

13. Aug 13, 2019 at 3:57 PM
    Pchop

Pchop Beavis Killer

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob I
    South FL
    Vehicle:
    '09 Tacoma TRD
    Do you have ANY IDEA what kind of building I can build for $51 mill!!!!??? That is a complete waist of tax dollars!!!

Mother fucker this shit pisses me off. Just like the 8k acre reservoir bullshit I built for the gov't........FUCK!!!!! I hate gov't waste. It trully disgusts me.
    I sat in fucking meetings telling these fucktards that 2% waterproofing concrete ad mix is a waste of tax dollars. It can only absorb 1%, the rest is just in there doing nothing until it bleeds out at the pour. Know what those cum rags told me? "It's in the spec so you need to do it"

I asked that same sack of shit who wrote it, he points across the table at this fucking scag who couldnt tell you the difference between a straight slot or philips screw driver. I said, I will credit the gov't the money back. "Nope, its in the spec"

I went so far as to have the god damn manufacturer write a letter and he HAND FUCKING DELIVERED IT during the next meeting and told them it would not change their fucking warranty...."Nope its in the spec" Fucking cunt.

Guess what happened, the first pour, the fucking Army Corp mother fucker wrote me up for having anti freeze (looks like anti freeze) coming out of the forms. Told that short sack of ant shit to go fuck himself "It's in the fucking spec".....it was the waterproofing ad mix that didnt absorb bleeding out!!!! $3 million fucking dollars!!!!

FUCKKK!!!!

At least I tried guys, seriously....You guys remember that job right? I had to quit before I went postal because they were such fucking retards. :annoyed:

shane100700 likes this.
  14. Aug 13, 2019 at 4:05 PM
    Pchop

Pchop Beavis Killer

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob I
    South FL
    Vehicle:
    '09 Tacoma TRD
    Sorry for your brothers troubles, while she's away....may as well run down to Mex.....hookers, drugs and tequila!!!!!! :humble::proposetoast::cheers::drunk:

:notsure:

Say its "personal" time :D

Trust me....I know relationships....it will work....:fistbump:

sandjunkie likes this.
  15. Aug 13, 2019 at 4:20 PM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    Yup...

You could have built this one

[​IMG]

Now... that said. The reason for this new school is for a couple of reasons. There is a school that is called Bethel in part of the county that only runs up to 7th grade. After that they merge into our school district which means a huge influx of students. The old junior high couldn't absorb anymore students. The second, and more important reason, is the enormous amount of people moving out of the city into the surrounding counties. The county that I live in is the most desirable (and therefore has the highest revenue) in the central part of the state. You can not imagine the huge amount of growth here in the last 15 yrs. Therefore the most money to put back into schools, teachers, etc... It's a state of the art school and I'll never complain when my daughter is able to go to a school like this. What you may consider Gov. waste I consider investing into our students. It's not only the building but everything inside of the building that gives the students the best possible chance to succeed. So if $54,000,000 is a lot of money for a school (and it is)... you should see the high school. I'm not going to put a dollar amount on quality public education. Give the students what they need to succeed and we will all hopefully reap the benefits. So I don't see it as a waste of tax dollars (and not all of it came from tax dollars). I see it as an investment in our future.

16. Aug 13, 2019 at 4:25 PM
    Pchop

Pchop Beavis Killer

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob I
    South FL
    Vehicle:
    '09 Tacoma TRD
    I have no problem with the price tag, shit, I have built some state of the art buildings...to the tune of $500 mill. Everything is state of the art, super well thought out and designed, etc.
    My problem is the gov't part. I guarantee you that same building if left to private sector people would be 1/2 - 2/3 the cost. I GUARANTEE it.

17. Aug 13, 2019 at 4:27 PM
    Pchop

Pchop Beavis Killer

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob I
    South FL
    Vehicle:
    '09 Tacoma TRD
    98tacoma27 likes this.
  18. Aug 13, 2019 at 4:28 PM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    I certainly won't dispute that claim. You would know much more about that end than I would. But we all know, that's not how public schools are built. And not all of it came from Gov. funding.

Private contracting, in some aspects, is probably easier to deal with than the Gov. I'd imagine. Especially if you have an investor that want's to build this type of building on a certain piece of land.

98tacoma27 likes this.
  19. Aug 13, 2019 at 4:29 PM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    98tacoma27, CXYyuppie and VE7OSR like this.
  20. Aug 13, 2019 at 4:45 PM
    G.T.

G.T. Official TW Burrito Inspector

Member:
    First Name:
    G.T.
    CONUS
    Vehicle:
    2011 Pyrite Mica 4WD DCLB TRDSport w/ FlipPac
    Some stick on chrome from pep boys
    C62ADA60-9A28-42E7-A6BD-1D1CAB6D8834.jpg

I’m still blown away by this.