1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

"40's & 50's" Midlife crisis/GTFO my lawn thread.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Matic, Jun 18, 2011.

1. Sep 14, 2019 at 12:55 PM
    RearViewMirror

RearViewMirror Saw things so much clearer once you... were in my

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB 4X4 TRD Off Road *Sold*
    A coaster that my daughter accidentally dropped. I've let it sit for 24 hrs and I can literally break it apart with little to no effort. I've tried almost every brand available and none work.

[​IMG]

wilcam47 likes this.
  2. Sep 14, 2019 at 1:03 PM
    wilcam47

wilcam47 Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2000 Toyota Tacoma
    4 inch lift
    Id say epoxy

CXYyuppie and medic2230 like this.
  3. Sep 14, 2019 at 1:12 PM
    VE7OSR

VE7OSR 'interfering with Natural Selection since 1990'

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob II
    Okanagan, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 DCLB TRD Sport
    Armour: All-Pro Skid plates - IFS, transmission, and transfer case. Pelfreybilt rear standard plate bumper, Metal Tech Sliders w/ kickout and dimple die filler plates. Front Suspension: OME 885 + NitroCharger 9000 shocks + 1/2" spacers for a 3" lift. Superbumps replacing stock bumpstops. Camburg ball joint UCA SS braid brake lines Future: ADS Extended length, extended length UCA BJ to increase droop capability Rear Suspension: All-Pro Expedition rear leafs, Walker Evans 27" rear shocks, extended rear brake lines (Wheelers Offroad), U -bolt flip kit, rear Timbren bumpstops. Future: Hammer Hangers, Shock relocate, ADS 12" or 14" shock. Interior: Weatherteck floor liners - front, Wet Okoles- front, ScanGauge, LED interior & map lights. Power moonroof. Exterior: Raider Cobra canopy, retrofit headlight by Insight, LED bulbs all around, modified flasher unit for LEDs. Rear diff breather mod. Front diff vibe problem, driver's side needle bearing replaced with ECGS bushing. yet to install: HID Blazer Fog Retrofit, LED Flood & Spot, + switches, fuse panel. swaybar relocate blocks (build my own)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iU8sYRG9-I
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McqCUfw7AYU

just search telecom cable lacing, or cable stitching.

here is the type of string that is used, - waxed, polyester string.
    https://www.amazon.com/WAXED-LACING-POLYESTER-TENSILE-STRENGTH/dp/B00IYOW2ZU

and look up cable dressing - you can get 'combs' to deal with untangling bundles, but your five fingers work just as easily.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
    wilcam47, medic2230 and CXYyuppie like this.
  4. Sep 14, 2019 at 1:41 PM
    CXYyuppie

CXYyuppie Sarcasm Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    SE Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport DCSB - Cement
    T4R PRO Wheels w/ Nittos, Katzkins leather, tint windows, 12” sub/amp combo
    Never heard that one before, but I'm not in that industry. Kind of like crackhead dental floss huh?

wilcam47 likes this.
  5. Sep 14, 2019 at 1:56 PM
    VE7OSR

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob II
    Okanagan, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 DCLB TRD Sport
    Armour: All-Pro Skid plates - IFS, transmission, and transfer case. Pelfreybilt rear standard plate bumper, Metal Tech Sliders w/ kickout and dimple die filler plates. Front Suspension: OME 885 + NitroCharger 9000 shocks + 1/2" spacers for a 3" lift. Superbumps replacing stock bumpstops. Camburg ball joint UCA SS braid brake lines Future: ADS Extended length, extended length UCA BJ to increase droop capability Rear Suspension: All-Pro Expedition rear leafs, Walker Evans 27" rear shocks, extended rear brake lines (Wheelers Offroad), U -bolt flip kit, rear Timbren bumpstops. Future: Hammer Hangers, Shock relocate, ADS 12" or 14" shock. Interior: Weatherteck floor liners - front, Wet Okoles- front, ScanGauge, LED interior & map lights. Power moonroof. Exterior: Raider Cobra canopy, retrofit headlight by Insight, LED bulbs all around, modified flasher unit for LEDs. Rear diff breather mod. Front diff vibe problem, driver's side needle bearing replaced with ECGS bushing. yet to install: HID Blazer Fog Retrofit, LED Flood & Spot, + switches, fuse panel. swaybar relocate blocks (build my own)
    Its kinda nasty if you work with it all day. The wax dries your skin out, and pulling the string tight digs into the inside folds of your fingers. There are stitching tools we use to sneak the thread through tight spaces.
    https://tecratools.com/pages/telecom/cable_tools.html

Fiber cables are easier, but much more delicate at times - no string or zap straps allowed - use Velcro, and trays to store slack. Scissors still involved though. A riser cable with bundles of fibers is protected by a fiberglass rod to limit the bend radius and Kevlar strands to protect against abrasion. Those Kevlar strands are nasty to work with as well, kinda like fiberglass wool.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
    wdb, medic2230 and CXYyuppie like this.
  6. Sep 14, 2019 at 2:01 PM
    CXYyuppie

CXYyuppie Sarcasm Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    SE Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    So, could this be used to tidy-up the wiring in the attic of a house before reinsulating? Planning on adding some blown fiberglass this winter. I would rather have everything in cable tray, but that's a bit expensive. I also don't want a fire hazard. Thanks in advance for the info.

7. Sep 14, 2019 at 2:09 PM
    medic2230

medic2230 @Koditten Pirate Radio member #002

Member:
    First Name:
    Murph
    Bama! Roll Tide
    Vehicle:
    2011 Taco 4x4 DCLB 2019 TRD PRO 4runner
    20% Tint, OME 3"complete lift with Dakar's, Light Racing UCA's, 285/75/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers, 10 HP TW sticker, Ultraguage, B.A.M.F. Rock Sliders, MedicFab Bed Rack, Relentless front bumper, Air Flow Snorkel, Ham comms, Tech Deck

That’s really neat. I had no idea you guys did that. Going to keep it in mind for some occasion to impress someone with my neatness skills. Haha

8. Sep 14, 2019 at 2:25 PM
    VE7OSR

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob II
    Okanagan, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 DCLB TRD Sport
    How old is the house? Normally house wiring, in the attic specifically is stapled to the tops of the joists, and where there is a risk of stepping on them , 1x4 strapping is added beside them. I imagine the wiring was not run neatly in the attic crisscrossing wherever?

wilcam47 likes this.
  9. Sep 14, 2019 at 3:24 PM
    shane100700

shane100700 Retired, now a stay at home husband!

Member:
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2019 DCSB, OR
    Rocket Boosters
    Evil term for any wires or cable besides actual house electrical lines.

Or I should say for any low voltage line to be more specific.

10. Sep 14, 2019 at 3:43 PM
    CXYyuppie

CXYyuppie Sarcasm Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    SE Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    It’s 21 years old. But the A/C guys did some stuff when a new unit was installed. Not happy with it but I’ll just deal with it. Most of the wiring is stapled, but when the new unit was installed they had to skid it in place and they removed some staples to prevent damage. Nothing major. I would like it better.

rmepilot and shane100700 like this.
  11. Sep 14, 2019 at 8:15 PM
    VE7OSR

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob II
    Okanagan, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 DCLB TRD Sport
    True, residential, and wood construction commercial is the only.place that use that kind of wire and 'staples'. Industrial is either in conduit, flex, or teck cable and clamped in place.

shane100700 likes this.
  12. Sep 15, 2019 at 6:23 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "Ben" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 88 SR5 PU (SOLD), 98 TRD OR (CRUSHED), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    Super glue has lousy shear strength. If you can twist your fingers at the glue spot they will free easily.

I use it a lot in woodworking and it also puts a mighty fine finish on pens

rmepilot and wilcam47 like this.
  13. Sep 15, 2019 at 9:45 AM
    Pchop

Pchop Beavis Killer

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob I
    Stuart, FL
    Vehicle:
    '09 Tacoma TRD
    Nah. It’s heading away. That’s a wee baby.

VE7OSR likes this.
  14. Sep 15, 2019 at 9:48 AM
    Pchop

Pchop Beavis Killer

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob I
    Stuart, FL
    Vehicle:
    '09 Tacoma TRD
    Same string we use when rigging baits.

15. Sep 15, 2019 at 9:48 AM
    Pchop

Pchop Beavis Killer

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob I
    Stuart, FL
    Vehicle:
    '09 Tacoma TRD
    HomerTaco likes this.
  16. Sep 15, 2019 at 9:53 AM
    RearViewMirror

RearViewMirror Saw things so much clearer once you... were in my

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB 4X4 TRD Off Road *Sold*
    I saw that a few days ago. Pretty fucking impressive. Glad to see Lotus jumping into the game again.

HomerTaco, VE7OSR and shane100700 like this.
  17. Sep 16, 2019 at 5:00 AM
    Pchop

Pchop Beavis Killer

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob I
    Stuart, FL
    Vehicle:
    '09 Tacoma TRD
    rmepilot and 98tacoma27 like this.
  18. Sep 16, 2019 at 5:36 AM
    G.T.

G.T. Official TW Burrito Inspector

Member:
    First Name:
    G.T.
    CONUS
    Vehicle:
    2011 Pyrite Mica 4WD DCLB TRDSport w/ FlipPac
    Some stick on chrome from pep boys
    Glue something to the bottom to hold it all together while fitting the pieces as close as possible.

wilcam47 and VE7OSR like this.
  19. Sep 16, 2019 at 5:45 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "Ben" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 88 SR5 PU (SOLD), 98 TRD OR (CRUSHED), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    What have you tried to repair it with?

20. Sep 16, 2019 at 5:59 AM
    rmepilot

rmepilot Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Huntsville, AL
    Vehicle:
    '15 DCLB S/C 4x4 Limited Pyrite Mica
    wilcam47 likes this.