1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

"40's & 50's" Midlife crisis/GTFO my lawn thread.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Matic, Jun 18, 2011.

1. Jan 4, 2020 at 8:13 AM
    cubie

cubie Asian Redneck

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonny
    Sweet home Alabama
    Vehicle:
    '06 and '18 TRD OR 4x4 Access Cab
    I've fast-roped out of a Chinook before and rappelled off a 190 ft cliff when rock climbing, but never climbed a radio tower. I've always wanted to though.

Good morning folks! Going to pick up a front fender in B'ham today and grab some Pho for lunch.

wilcam47 and shane100700 like this.
  2. Jan 4, 2020 at 8:28 AM
    scocar

scocar Prebunking

Member:
    I realize they are the last desperate hope for not dying. Just watched a video of aussie fire fighters inside a rig being engulfed in a firestorm and frantically pulling out their blankets inside the cab.

How heavy are they? I'd never knowingly go hiking anytime/anywhere even remotely near an active event. Or these days not even during a red flag warning.

But, twice I've been leery of sudden events in very different scenarios. Once on the John Muir trail about 3 days from any trailhead, and once in the Santa Cruz mountains on a family park camping trip in a fairly developed area, but with limited roadway escape routes and high fuel steep terrain.

3. Jan 4, 2020 at 9:13 AM
    RearViewMirror

RearViewMirror Saw things so much clearer once you... were in my

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB 4X4 TRD Off Road *Sold*
    The tallest structure that I've rappelled off of was the Simmons Bank Building at 546' IIRC. We had to rappel down to a window washer crew that had a malfunction and the cage was tilted at about a 45 degree angle so they weren't going anywhere. It was a long slow process to get them down but at the very least, they weren't scared of heights so that was one less problem we had to deal with. Surprisingly they took it all in stride. Being up that high just doesn't make a difference unless you are dealing with weather and wind conditions. Luckily it was a good day.

Honestly the most nervous I've ever been at height is on the end of a 110' aluminum riveted straight stick. The last fly section was just wide enough to allow someone to climb to the end. When I say someone I mean me at 6' tall and 180 lbs. The truck was already old at the time and it had no controls at the tip for movement of the ladder. So you have to rely on the person on the turntable to really know what they are doing and have a damn good understanding of that particular piece of equipment. Any movement made at the turntable is exaggerated all the way through the ladder and you feel like you are on the tip of a fishing pole. That was a very uncomfortable place to be for me since I had no control over anything. I was just along for the ride.

Every straight stick comes with controls at the tip now that allow for movement of the ladder at a reduced speed. They are also "ramped" controls. That means if you accidentally let off the control stick too fast the ladder won't just stop right then and there. It will slowly come to a stop so you won't be whipped around on the end of the stick. The person on the turntable still has full control over the ladder and there is a deadman switch that they must keep their foot on to allow for the controls at the tip to work. But the person at the turntable is ultimately responsible for the placement of the ladder since they have a complete view of everything around the ladder as opposed to the person at the tip who can only see down. But as long as there are no obstructions, the control can be given over to the person at the tip to allow for fine adjustments of the ladder. One other thing... The person on the turntable CAN NOT leave the turntable when the ladder is in the air. It doesn't matter if a Chief commands them to do something else. That is an order that will not be obeyed. But I've never known a Battalion Chief that has ever done something like that (surprisingly).

Those fire shelters are a last ditch effort to save your life. Under extreme conditions you will not survive. But they are better than not having anything. In less extreme conditions they can save your life but it just depends on fate. Basically if you find yourself in a situation where you have to pull one of those out... it's not going to be a good day no matter what.

cubie, wilcam47 and shane100700 like this.
  4. Jan 4, 2020 at 10:48 AM
    Pchop

Pchop Beavis Killer

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob I
    Stuart, FL
    Vehicle:
    '09 Tacoma TRD
    Not exactly sure. IFRC they are about 5 lbs or so. Bulky as shit so they wouldnt be that great for a multi day trip. I could see carrying them in your car but I would surmize the best bet is to try and keep going and get out of it. @VE7OSR or @RearViewMirror would be best to comment on all that.

Here is a link to where you can buy them. If you look at the pictures you will see what I mean by turning you into a "baked potato". Like I said, we pulled ours but we never actually went through a fire in one. I've heard stories from guys that did. Imagine the loudest, smokiest, hottest HELL imaginable......then triple it.....is how they put it to me. Like I said, LAST ditch effort.

https://www.forestry-suppliers.com/...ire+Protection+Shelter,+Regular&itemnum=35918

scocar, cubie, G.T. and 1 other person like this.
  5. Jan 4, 2020 at 10:52 AM
    Pchop

Pchop Beavis Killer

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob I
    Stuart, FL
    Vehicle:
    '09 Tacoma TRD
    You beat me to it. Just said the same thing.

cubie and shane100700 like this.
  6. Jan 4, 2020 at 10:52 AM
    shane100700

shane100700 Bed, Bath & Beyond Crawler

Member:
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2019 DCSB, OR
    Rocket Boosters
    I’d carry a good means for day and night signaling followed by a hand radio capable of talking over/monitoring emergency channels before something like that. Also maybe reading up on how forest fires are effected by weather patterns so you can at least make a guess where to go.

cubie and CXYyuppie like this.
  7. Jan 4, 2020 at 11:01 AM
    Pchop

Pchop Beavis Killer

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob I
    Stuart, FL
    Vehicle:
    '09 Tacoma TRD
    Good call.

People actually forget about signal mirrors now days but I always carried one. I was looking for a fire that the fire tower lady was calling us into. We were out in the back country of central oregon. NO appreciable landmarks because we were in big timber. Ended up finding a clearing with a direct line of site to her in her tower 3 or 4 ridges over and pulled that mirror out. Boom, done deal, she had us to the "fire" (smoldering tree stump) in about 30 minutes from then.
    From then on, the district made it standard equipment for all crews. My uncle gave it to me and told me to always carry it. He was right. That motherfucker was a bigshot on fires. 30+ years in the forest service.

Of course you need two way communication for them to work.

https://www.amazon.com/Best-Glide-A...hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4584482455316617&psc=1

scocar, cubie, shane100700 and 2 others like this.
  8. Jan 4, 2020 at 11:38 AM
    rmepilot

rmepilot Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Huntsville, AL
    Vehicle:
    '15 DCLB S/C 4x4 Limited Pyrite Mica
    Magnuson Supercharger ADS Racing Products Suspension Camburg UCA's URD Equal Length Headers JFR Custom Y-Pipe Fold-a-Cover Tonneau 4Runner 17" TRD Pro Wheels StopTech Slotted Rotors and TRD Pads
    I think I have one packed away somewhere. It was required ALSE for us.

G.T., cubie and shane100700 like this.
  9. Jan 4, 2020 at 12:49 PM
    HomerTaco

HomerTaco Fuck COVID-19 Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Bucks County Pa.
    Vehicle:
    four sticks, dual cases, zero fucks...
    ...................................................................................................................................................... Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill with 12-15 front-end swap/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad mini / Safari Snorkel / Auto-pilot mode / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust re-route / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift / Inchworm 4.7 crawlbox / twin stick FJ t-case / Davez off-road triple-stick kit/
    In June of 2000 I took my 1st cross-country road trip in my 87’ Toyota. One part of that trip was 3 days at Devils Tower. The first day was a “training” where I climbed about 1/3rd of the way up the north side with my guide. The second day was a complete ascent to the top via the Durance Route. We spent about an hour on the summit. It was amazing because you can see the grand Tetons on the other side of the Wyoming from up there. IIR it was 6 hours up and 2 hours back down. 867’ I believe.
    Always loved rock climbing and was fascinated by Devils Tower since I was a kid.

at 25 years old it was one of those “dream come true” moments I’ll never forget. :)

rmepilot, cubie, CXYyuppie and 3 others like this.
  10. Jan 4, 2020 at 12:54 PM
    shane100700

Member:
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2019 DCSB, OR
    Rocket Boosters
    You’re old... :anonymous:

rmepilot, cubie, Pchop and 1 other person like this.
  11. Jan 4, 2020 at 1:19 PM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    I've been to Devils Tower but never thought of climbing it. Would be cool though. We stopped there for a few hours and walked around and it's just an amazing geological formation to look at. I can see why many Native Americans would worship it. Another really cool place to visit if you haven't been before is Shiprock in Northern NM. That is a really cool sight that you can see for miles. Hell... You can stand in Mesa Verde NP and see Shiprock from there and it's probably 100 miles away.

cubie and shane100700 like this.
  12. Jan 4, 2020 at 1:21 PM
    shane100700

Member:
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2019 DCSB, OR
    Rocket Boosters
    It’s cool because it was carved by a giant bear... duh. We’re only a few hours from it.

wilcam47, cubie and RearViewMirror like this.
  13. Jan 4, 2020 at 1:25 PM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    Wait wha.....???? I thought ancient aliens created it?

14. Jan 4, 2020 at 1:37 PM
    shane100700

Member:
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2019 DCSB, OR
    Rocket Boosters
    Depends on which tribes lore you follow? :notsure:

RearViewMirror and cubie like this.
  15. Jan 4, 2020 at 2:01 PM
    HomerTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Bucks County Pa.
    Vehicle:
    ...................................................................................................................................................... Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill with 12-15 front-end swap/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad mini / Safari Snorkel / Auto-pilot mode / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust re-route / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift / Inchworm 4.7 crawlbox / twin stick FJ t-case / Davez off-road triple-stick kit/
    Been there too... drove past on my way to Moab the first time out there.

shane100700, RearViewMirror and cubie like this.
  16. Jan 4, 2020 at 3:19 PM
    cubie

cubie Asian Redneck

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonny
    Sweet home Alabama
    Vehicle:
    Lot of firefighter talk in here, I've learned a lot about wildfires in the last few pages! I wouldn't call my family preppers by any means, but we do stay prepared and have SHTF bags ready to go, in the event of an evacuation. Signal mirror is a great piece of gear to have, when you're in the vast back country.

17. Jan 4, 2020 at 3:30 PM
    cubie

cubie Asian Redneck

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonny
    Sweet home Alabama
    Vehicle:
    Finally got a nice winter coat of wax on the truck.

[​IMG]

18. Jan 4, 2020 at 3:48 PM
    HomerTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Bucks County Pa.
    Vehicle:
    Inferno or barcelona red? Looks great!!!

wilcam47 and cubie like this.
  19. Jan 4, 2020 at 3:54 PM
    cubie

cubie Asian Redneck

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonny
    Sweet home Alabama
    Vehicle:
    Thanks Homer! It's Inferno, it was getting dark and the light wasn't so good.

Here it is in better light.
    [​IMG]

20. Jan 4, 2020 at 3:58 PM
    shane100700

Member:
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2019 DCSB, OR
    Rocket Boosters
    Big difference between crazy prepping where you have years worth of shit and 10’s of thousands of rounds of ammo vs. few days/weeks of food/water and some basic to semi advanced protection for your family.

That I think is just prudent planning. We also have a couple go bags and a Rubbermaid of basics for bad weather survival. We started that when we lived in NJ just before Sandy hit.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2020

Products Discussed in

To Top