1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

"40's & 50's" Midlife crisis/GTFO my lawn thread.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Matic, Jun 18, 2011.

1. Mar 4, 2020 at 5:41 PM
    scocar

scocar Going Full Vanilla!

Member:
    First Name:
    Dick
    Erehwon
    Vehicle:
    The Silver Steed of Righteousness
    Animal husbandry, Bullshit detection, Very runny cheese
    Are you a MacGregor? I was aiming for clan relevance.

RearViewMirror likes this.
  2. Mar 4, 2020 at 5:50 PM
    RearViewMirror

RearViewMirror Saw things so much clearer once you... were in my

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB 4X4 TRD Off Road *Sold*
    I had a random thought today. When I was growing up I always looked forward to hearing Paul Harvey "The Rest of the Story". I really miss those times when he came on the radio. I have a lot of fond memories of listening to him whether it be riding with my Grandparents in their car or my parents car.

Came across this while trying to find a few "Rest of the Story" clips and had never heard it before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-wNmLXXD8g

CaptAmerica, MQQSE, P2W and 1 other person like this.
  3. Mar 4, 2020 at 5:53 PM
    scocar

scocar Going Full Vanilla!

Member:
    First Name:
    Dick
    Erehwon
    Vehicle:
    The Silver Steed of Righteousness
    Animal husbandry, Bullshit detection, Very runny cheese
  4. Mar 4, 2020 at 5:54 PM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    MQQSE and scocar like this.
  5. Mar 4, 2020 at 6:45 PM
    HomerTaco

HomerTaco ---> Insert witty comment here <--- Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Bucks County Pa.
    Vehicle:
    four sticks, dual cases, zero fucks...
    ...................................................................................................................................................... Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill with 12-15 front-end swap/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad mini / Safari Snorkel / Auto-pilot mode / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust re-route / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift / Inchworm 4.7 crawlbox / twin stick FJ t-case / Davez off-road triple-stick kit/
    Got in the zone for a little bit this evening and finished a grill:

9EF25344-29FA-4E2E-B93D-305D86F2A9A0.jpg

Felt good to get in “the zone” even if only for a little bit. :oops:

6. Mar 4, 2020 at 7:09 PM
    ABA180

ABA180 It burns when I pee....

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    East Bridgewater MA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab Slider
    Pioneer CD, Megaloud/JBL amps, Rockford/Polk speakers.
    Go for it. I dare you.

Yup, the old double standards at work as well.

Roddy Piper is smiling somewhere

MQQSE, HomerTaco and RearViewMirror like this.
  7. Mar 4, 2020 at 8:34 PM
    VE7OSR

VE7OSR Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob II
    Okanagan, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 DCLB TRD Sport
    Armour: All-Pro Skid plates - IFS, transmission, and transfer case. Pelfreybilt rear standard plate bumper, Metal Tech Sliders w/ kickout and dimple die filler plates. Front Suspension: OME 885 + NitroCharger 9000 shocks + 1/2" spacers for a 3" lift. Superbumps replacing stock bumpstops. Camburg ball joint UCA SS braid brake lines Future: ADS Extended length, extended length UCA BJ to increase droop capability Rear Suspension: All-Pro Expedition rear leafs, Walker Evans 27" rear shocks, extended rear brake lines (Wheelers Offroad), U -bolt flip kit, rear Timbren bumpstops. Future: Hammer Hangers, Shock relocate, ADS 12" or 14" shock. Interior: Weatherteck floor liners - front, Wet Okoles- front, ScanGauge, LED interior & map lights. Power moonroof. Exterior: Raider Cobra canopy, retrofit headlight by Insight, LED bulbs all around, modified flasher unit for LEDs. Rear diff breather mod. Front diff vibe problem, driver's side needle bearing replaced with ECGS bushing. yet to install: HID Blazer Fog Retrofit, LED Flood & Spot, + switches, fuse panel. swaybar relocate blocks (build my own)
    saw this on social media today; pretty poignant for having a Critical Incident Stress Management program comprised of your peers.

Her Brotherhood
    · February 29 ·

A Firefighter with PTSD fell into a hole and couldn’t get out. When a civilian walked by, the Firefighter called out for help, but the civilian yelled back, "Suck it up, dig deep, and drive on," then threw down a shovel. The Firefighter followed directions and dug that hole deeper.

Another stranger went by and the Firefighter called out for help again. The stranger said, "use the tools and online training that has been given to you", then threw down a bucket. The Firefighter used the tools and he dug the hole deeper still and filled the bucket.

A psychiatrist walked by. The Firefighter called, “Help! I can’t get out!”, so the psychiatrist tossed down some drugs and said, "Take this. It will relieve the pain and you will forget about the hole.” The Firefighter said, "thanks", and followed his advice, but when the pills ran out he was still in the hole.

A well-known psychologist rode by and heard the Firefighters cries for help. He stopped and asked, “How did you get there? Were you born there? Did your parents put you there? Tell me about yourself, it will alleviate your sense of loneliness.” So the Firefighter talked with him for an hour, then the psychologist had to leave, but he said he’d be back next week. The Firefighter thanked him, but was still in the hole.

Another Firefighter, happened to be passing by. The one with PTSD cried out, “Hey, help me. I’m stuck in this hole!” and right away the other Firefighter jumped down into the hole. The Firefighter with PTSD started to panic and said, “What are you doing? Now we’re both stuck down here!” But the other Firefighter just smiled and replied, “It’s okay. I’ve been here before..... I know how to get out.”

#IGY6 #PeerSupport #BeTheOne #NotMe #SuicidePrevention

If you made it to the end of this post and feel like you're in a hole with no way out, reach out to me. Or call the number below:

Nation suicide hotline 1-800-273-8255

rmepilot, CaptAmerica, MQQSE and 3 others like this.
  8. Mar 4, 2020 at 8:45 PM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    Very similar story I've heard before with a few differences.

This always struck a cord with me. Leo was a recovering alcoholic in the show.

Everyone needs help now and then whether they realize it or not. It's knowing you are cared for that makes all the difference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BKnKzdI6jM

Last edited: Mar 4, 2020
    MQQSE, shane100700 and VE7OSR like this.
  9. Mar 4, 2020 at 9:12 PM
    shane100700

shane100700 Bed, Bath & Beyond Crawler

Member:
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2019 DCSB, OR
    Rocket Boosters
    https://youtu.be/4yV0T59Twqo

One of my former commanders. Great dude, never knew he had issues to. The Soldier he talks about weighed on a lot of us. Haven’t been able to bring myself to read it yet but, he wrote a book too;

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0998171492?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_image

It seems a lot of us only seek help once we’re on that brink of pulling a trigger, jumping off a ledge or whatever our method of choice happens to be.

MQQSE, RearViewMirror and wilcam47 like this.
  10. Mar 4, 2020 at 9:16 PM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    I would add that Critical Incident Stress Debriefing is of vital importance. That said... It should not be conducted by the agency that you work for. CISD was handled poorly on our Dept. They implemented a peer support group but those that chose to be on that support group I can promise you, NO ONE would go to those people. The group that volunteered were not 1: Qualified to do the job and 2: Had never served on a company that made 3000 + runs a year. Most of them were at very slow stations and although they may have experienced some things in their career, they had not experienced the things that those of us on the busiest companies in the city experienced on a daily basis. To use an analogy, it would be like someone that has set behind a desk their entire Military career and never served in a combat role trying to counsel someone that had experienced first hand front line combat. To add to that, nothing on the FD stays secret. So no one would feel comfortable speaking with members of our own Dept. for obvious reasons.

The way CISD is usually conducted is from other agencies that have nothing to do with our Dept. Be it Memphis, Fayetteville, Dallas, etc... and vice versa. That way you know you are talking in complete confidentiality with someone that has been in a spot similar to the one you may find yourself in. CISD should ALWAYS be preformed in a one on one basis. Group settings never work out well for fear of speaking up. Much like the Military, the FD, PD, etc... is a very alpha personality driven occupation. No one wants to be seen as weak in front of their peers. Especially if you are in a leadership position. Just the nature of the job. Hopefully that will change in the future and we can get those that need help the help they need before I have to hear about another one of my brothers or sisters in the Fire Service going down a path much like I took. Or worse... taking their own life.
    One of my best friends took his own life right before Christmas 2011. He called me the night before and told me he loved me like a brother. I knew he was going through trouble with getting off of pain pills but he had sought out care. So I assumed he was getting better. He didn't wake up the next morning because he decided there was no other way out. That hunts me to this day.

VE7OSR and shane100700 like this.
  11. Mar 4, 2020 at 9:29 PM
    shane100700

Member:
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2019 DCSB, OR
    Rocket Boosters

That’s exactly how the military is. The spouses are told not to ask questions or say anything to upset us when we get home. We file through a series of medical checkpoints at 1wk, 1 month, and 6 months. Part of that is standing in a line to file into a cubicle (yes cubicle) to go over our PTSD questionnaire. The dude then stamps off if you need to see anyone or not.

Some of the questions;

Were you near or see any explosions?
    Were you near or see anyone injured?
    Did you see or experience anything that upset you?

Many more similar questions. I never once got sent to talk to anyone. Additionally, you seek help and there is a def a stigma. Your ability to lead, deployability, promotion potential are all questioned at that point.

In fact, in 2012, there was so many people on Ft Lewis that were assessed as having PTSD, their records were reevaluated, and several assessments were over turned. One of which was a guy from our Brigade, SSG Bales. Better known as the guy that killed 16 Afghan villagers. There were a few incidents that should’ve been red flags prior to that deployment (Brigades 4th one).

https://www.armytimes.com/news/your...-staff-sergeant-convicted-in-afghan-massacre/

MQQSE, RearViewMirror and wilcam47 like this.
  12. Mar 4, 2020 at 9:32 PM
    wilcam47

wilcam47 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Arizona now!!!
    Our clearances prevented us from seeking counceling...

13. Mar 4, 2020 at 9:48 PM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    Thank you very much for posting that. Extremely emotional for me to watch. Although his and my circumstances were a bit different obviously... his outcome paralleled my experience pretty close to the same way. I don't have a conscious recollection of what I had planned for that day at the restaurant. I just know that I had a bottle of Xanax and a bottle of Percocet in my pockets. Every time I went to the restroom I would take a Xanax or a Percocet for the extra effect. I still to this day do not know how I didn't overdose to a point that I couldn't come back from. If there is one silver lining in my story it would be this. My daughter was only six at the time so she didn't know the full extent of what I was going through. I can't imagine the negative impact it would have on her life if I was doing what I was doing when she is the age she is now. But I would imagine it would be much like he described.

So thank you for posting that video. It is very much appreciated.

VE7OSR, shane100700 and wilcam47 like this.
  14. Mar 4, 2020 at 10:02 PM
    VE7OSR

VE7OSR Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob II
    Okanagan, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 DCLB TRD Sport
    Armour: All-Pro Skid plates - IFS, transmission, and transfer case. Pelfreybilt rear standard plate bumper, Metal Tech Sliders w/ kickout and dimple die filler plates. Front Suspension: OME 885 + NitroCharger 9000 shocks + 1/2" spacers for a 3" lift. Superbumps replacing stock bumpstops. Camburg ball joint UCA SS braid brake lines Future: ADS Extended length, extended length UCA BJ to increase droop capability Rear Suspension: All-Pro Expedition rear leafs, Walker Evans 27" rear shocks, extended rear brake lines (Wheelers Offroad), U -bolt flip kit, rear Timbren bumpstops. Future: Hammer Hangers, Shock relocate, ADS 12" or 14" shock. Interior: Weatherteck floor liners - front, Wet Okoles- front, ScanGauge, LED interior & map lights. Power moonroof. Exterior: Raider Cobra canopy, retrofit headlight by Insight, LED bulbs all around, modified flasher unit for LEDs. Rear diff breather mod. Front diff vibe problem, driver's side needle bearing replaced with ECGS bushing. yet to install: HID Blazer Fog Retrofit, LED Flood & Spot, + switches, fuse panel. swaybar relocate blocks (build my own)
    We're lucky in the Search & Rescue program here, in that the SAR role is a part time volunteer role, with province wide common structure, versus community by community, so the folks come from all sorts of different lives, with different careers. The folks in the provincial CISM group pretty much all have a mental health background as their day job. When we do a debrief, they fly in peers from outside our area; our own local CISM person that we have in our group does not participate as such. Its a model that works for our structure, and understandably may not fit within the scope of other structured organizations. Our wilderness SAR is a province wide resource, and we often share resources, even flying folks in where needed. In fiscal 2018 we had 1338 Incidents, province wide. The rest of the country combined is about 650 incidents, with Nunavut territory the next highest at 165 incidents in a year. We're over 1500 calls so far this fiscal year (ends in April). Our local group does about 60 calls/year.

shane100700 and RearViewMirror like this.
  15. Mar 4, 2020 at 10:09 PM
    shane100700

Member:
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2019 DCSB, OR
    Rocket Boosters
    Same here... his story is very similar to a lot of us. Haven’t had an episode for a couple years now but there’s been a few times where I still don’t know what stopped me. Almost everyone I’ve deployed with for that first tour, the one where we literally tried to take the IED strikes, has had at least one incident. If I thought I could handle other peoples trauma, without triggering mine, I’d do the counseling thing. A good buddy of mine went that route. No idea how he’s able to cope with that, but I’m sure his personal experience adds a lot of insight and credibility with his clients.

16. Mar 4, 2020 at 10:14 PM
    shane100700

Member:
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2019 DCSB, OR
    Rocket Boosters
    That sounds very similar to some of the societies that have shown the greatest resistance to debilitating and long term PTSD. As an example some Asian and Native American societies take on the trauma as a community, speaking openly and sharing in the grief. In native cultures that still practice some of their old beliefs, the elders and warriors (vets) share stories with each other when a warrior returns from war. This sharing has proven to be effective in the healing process.

VE7OSR likes this.
  17. Mar 4, 2020 at 10:15 PM
    MQQSE

MQQSE Chief Pal Guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob III
    Palmer, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    Cav Blu '19 DCSB OR MT
    Things got heavy here, I'll read those thoroughly a little later.
    Liked for confirmation, not for allergy and epipen; hope she is able to avoid having to use it.

:cool: Hope it works. :fingerscrossed:

PCH in my list too.

Noted. :thumbsup:
    Hafta check this out later too.

:yes: That's so Britt.

Duh

18. Mar 4, 2020 at 10:18 PM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    Honestly I think that is what helps me the most. Don't get me wrong... I don't want to be the poster child of this issue. But I still go out and talk to each new recruit class about what happened to me because I think it is important for them to know just what lays ahead of them. I rarely open up to many people about what I suffer with though. And although I have quite openly opened up on this forum, it's not something that comes up in general conversation as there is, like you say, a stigma attached to it. But when I do talk to a group about it, it is therapeutic to me if that makes any sense? It's like lifting a weight off my shoulders and hopefully it will help a young person joining the FD to not follow the path that I (and a lot of others) have taken.

If I'm going to be completely honest about that thread that I have linked in my sig. It was more for me than it was anyone else. It was meant to hold me accountable for my actions every time I post something. I see it sitting at the bottom of my post each time I post in here. But... The thread has kind of taken on a life of its own and hopefully it has helped just one person not go down the path I chose.

rmepilot, VE7OSR and shane100700 like this.
  19. Mar 4, 2020 at 10:29 PM
    shane100700

Member:
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2019 DCSB, OR
    Rocket Boosters
    I think stuff like that really helps. My hope is that the next generation will be able to be more open and accepting, still do what we did but have healthier coping strategies. No doubt our generation is better off then the one before us and the one before them. There’s still a long ways to go though. I’m actually pretty open about it these days. I don’t want to be the poster child either but, know the mistakes I made by not accepting or speaking up before things got bad. I think speaking to those young FFs is commendable and I’m sure it means a lot to them.

20. Mar 4, 2020 at 10:34 PM
    VE7OSR

VE7OSR Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob II
    Okanagan, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 DCLB TRD Sport
    I've read General Romeo Dallaire's book Shake Hands with the Devil: The failure of Humanity in Rawanda.
    I'll forewarn you, its a pretty dark look at evil, but a book that is hard to put down at times, at other moments in it you can feel anger rising, and have to put the book down.

How he was even able to go back to that country years later, revisit and do humanitarian work there escapes me. His own battles with PTSD, and attempts at suicide made national news here.

https://www.amazon.ca/Waiting-First-Light-Ongoing-Battle/dp/0345814444/

Products Discussed in

To Top