1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

"40's & 50's" Midlife crisis/GTFO my lawn thread.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Matic, Jun 18, 2011.

1. Jul 11, 2020 at 7:48 AM
    RearViewMirror

RearViewMirror Saw things so much clearer once you... were in my

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB 4X4 TRD Off Road *Sold*
    We can't have window units.

CXYyuppie and G.T. like this.
  2. Jul 11, 2020 at 7:58 AM
    G.T.

G.T. Official TW Burrito Inspector

Member:
    First Name:
    G.T.
    CONUS
    Vehicle:
    2011 Pyrite Mica 4WD DCLB TRDSport w/ FlipPac
    Some stick on chrome from pep boys
    The pros and cons of location. We sacrifice a few things such as, fast internet, city water, natural gas, and convenience but enjoy the peace of being away from town. Wish we had kids closer so my son could have neighborhood mates but he stays so active before lockdown that he usually sees them almost everyday.

I know it sounds confusing as I quite literally live 17 miles from downtown St. Louis and yet we are rural, the Illinois side has allot of holes in it as it were due to the farming communities that are in the area. Heaps of seed farm land and farms around that separate these towns and are really nice. I’ve got 12 acres of which is wooded jammed between corn/soy fields so not many neighbors, plenty of seed and harvest dust, and heaps of peace. Heaps of turkey and whitetail on the land too if it ever came to that.

Meds have me rambling so I’ll beg off.

VE7OSR, HomerTaco and RearViewMirror like this.
  3. Jul 11, 2020 at 8:17 AM
    TenBeers

TenBeers Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Pro Cavalry Blue
    CBI bed rack and sliders, CVT Mt. Shasta, Uniden 520XL, WeatherTechs, TRD CAI, 1Up USA hitch rack, speaker upgrade, Total Chaos bed stiffeners, Warn Hidden Winch Bumper and winch
    We were looking for something a bit further out when we moved here, something with a shop, but everything decent was too close to a dang chicken farm or didn't have a real house. Or was too close to what might be a meth lab/family junkyard. Luckily found something at the very back of a neighborhood at a dead end, so pretty peaceful. It's like the dang Wild Kingdom back here, though. Lately there's been a woodchuck visiting that is a little too brave for his britches, and my dog chased a bobcat out of the yard the other night. There hadn't been a good rain in a while and the creek is likely dry, so they seem to be using my pool as a watering hole.

G.T. and wilcam47 like this.
  4. Jul 11, 2020 at 8:37 AM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    Oh I agree. Neighborhood life isn’t for everyone. Neither is having an HOA. I get it. But it works for us. Our property value has skyrocketed since we moved here so it will pay off in the end. Plus it’s just a nice neighborhood with great neighbors. I don’t want land again. It was great when we had it. But I don’t even like working in my own yard now. In fact... I don’t. I have someone else do that for me. I just want to do what I want to do whenever I want to do it.

Fargo Taco, G.T. and wilcam47 like this.
  5. Jul 11, 2020 at 8:55 AM
    Blkvoodoo

Blkvoodoo a Hooka smoking caterpillar has given me the call

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Near Clayton NC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 DCSB, '97 4Runner SR5 5spd
    RANT ON

Electronics, WTF ?!?!?

I get things wear out as they age,
    I replaced our Apple AirPort Extreme this week as it was failing, it’s about 8yrs old
    I had no signal at random times on other end of The house. It’s a small house...
    Ordered an ASUS AC1700 wifi router, Installed and WAS working well until this morning. 5mhz keeps dropping out, even 10ft from router. But now I’m not sure if it’s the cable modem causing issues....

Receivers, specifically home theater receivers, not High end, but not bottom barrel Walmart crap. Current is a Yamaha, 2 former we’re both Onkyo, current Yamaha is about 2 years old, Loosing HDMI channel, random drop out, sound and video, had issues the other night watching a movie on Netflix Switched APPLE TV to a different HDMI jack, and seems to be working for now (streaming Spotify thru ATV).
    is this a thing with home theater jacks just failing at random times ? Same issue with the Onkyo receivers before them. On those you could hear switching (Click) when you selected a different port or to tuner.
    I get tired of troubleshooting things all the time, I do it all week, I don’t wanna do it in the weekends too

anyone got cheese for my whine ?

CXYyuppie, HomerTaco and wilcam47 like this.
  6. Jul 11, 2020 at 2:42 PM
    CaptAmerica

CaptAmerica Asphalt Avenger! TTC#13

Member:
    First Name:
    Cap
    In a van down by the river
    Vehicle:
    Gen 2.9 DCLB TRD Sport w/tech
    Stickers and not enough wax
    I saw a recent interview with him talking about growing up and some things his father said to him. There was a line about “price” that stuck out, and remembering what he considered success. It takes a lot of courage to walk away from $50M; Dave no longer considered it worth the price on his values and knew it was over.

His Netflix specials show he’s even more insightful and intelligent beyond the gags of the show. I think he’s this generation”s best. I love his Mark Twain acceptance speech.

https://youtu.be/aeYA72NLaDE

b_r_o, HomerTaco and Blkvoodoo like this.
  7. Jul 11, 2020 at 2:43 PM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    I've got a high end Yamaha receiver in the living room hooked up to Klipsch Speakers and a sub. I've not had any issues with the receiver at all and it detects whatever source we select. I bought a high end Yamaha Blue Ray DVD player at the same time and within a year it won't eject. Doesn't matter what I try to do... it won't eject. So it's a paperweight sitting on top of the receiver. Not really a big deal since DVD's are pretty much a thing of the past now. But it still pisses me off that it only lasted about a year and we didn't use it that often.

I've got an Apple Time Capsule Router that also doubles as a 4TB backup HD. I have zero complaints about it as it will cover our entire house and our house is single level and right at 3500 sq ft. so that is pretty good for a router. In fact... I have the router turned off on my fiber optic modem just because the Apple Time Capsule is better at coverage. What sucks is Apple doesn't make routers anymore and I'm happy with this one. We have 22 devices hooked up to it at all times and it works flawlessly and it backs up all three of my Macs. But in the next year or so I'll have to look at other options.

I've been lucky and haven't had to chase HDMI sources "yet". We only have one 4K TV in the house and I'm trying to not buy another one since we will not be here that much longer. Plus... my Apple TV's are the older models that only support 1080P with the exception of the one that is hooked up to the 4k TV.

When we move, then I'll buy all the latest tech. Until then, I'm content with what we have since it all works.

8. Jul 11, 2020 at 2:56 PM
    Blkvoodoo

Blkvoodoo a Hooka smoking caterpillar has given me the call

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Near Clayton NC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 DCSB, '97 4Runner SR5 5spd
    I hope you have already, but I hope you have a back up FOR the Time Machine, I had a 500gig and it was great, right up until the hard drive crashed. Similar thing happened to my Dads 2tb Time Capsule.
    I lost about 200gb of pix and other stuff. Dad was able to catch his in process and saved most of his stuff. (His actually started making noise)
    My AirPort Extreme was awesome, had signal to the rear of my yard (350ft and thru the house) when it was working at its best. 9 - 12 devices at any given time. Just noticed the signal strength diminished over the last several months. To the point it wouldn’t reach the back bedroom in an 1100sqft house on 5ghz, 2.4ghz. would work but it was weak at times, then quit as well. When I finally disconnected it, it was pretty warm, so I imagine the pixies had had their last dance.

9. Jul 11, 2020 at 3:58 PM
    CXYyuppie

CXYyuppie Sarcasm Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    SE.LA
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport DCSB - Cement
    Stuff with some other black things
    We can’t have window units either, but I’ll be damned if we have to go an extended period without electricity due to storms, people will put them on the back of their house. You will hear every generator in the neighborhood crank up. Out of sight, out of mind.

glad u were able to get it repaired.

G.T. likes this.
  10. Jul 11, 2020 at 5:23 PM
    medic2230

medic2230 @Koditten Pirate Radio member #002

Member:
    First Name:
    Murph
    Bama! Roll Tide
    Vehicle:
    2011 Taco 4x4 DCLB 2019 TRD PRO 4runner
    20% Tint, OME 3"complete lift with Dakar's, Light Racing UCA's, 285/75/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers, 10 HP TW sticker, Ultraguage, B.A.M.F. Rock Sliders, MedicFab Bed Rack, Relentless front bumper, Air Flow Snorkel, Ham comms, Tech Deck
    I don’t buy a/c units with the ten year warranties. Family business has always been a/c. Of course all they do is commercial stuff so that doesn’t help me any other than telling me who to call for work. We will replace the entire unit around every 7 years or so when it decides to start screwing up or being a pain in the ass. Not a bad deal since that high price you pay for them is all in the warranty. Last 3 have all been around $3k installed. Not worth it to me for me to be at work and the family sitting at home in the heat. Call whoever and get it in the next day and install. I have 2 window units in the shed to throw in when needed if it goes out.

G.T., CXYyuppie and wilcam47 like this.
  11. Jul 11, 2020 at 7:29 PM
    wdb

wdb intolerance intolerant

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    the perimeter
    Vehicle:
    plain jane
    Hella 4000 eurobeams, Amp Bed Step, IamMrYo mirror riser, Wet Okoles, HomerTaco satoshi, retrofit intermittent wipers & backup camera
    As a person who works where Apple Airports connect on the other side, I have one word to say about them — *spit*

12. Jul 11, 2020 at 8:09 PM
    CXYyuppie

CXYyuppie Sarcasm Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    SE.LA
    Vehicle:
    We get to look forward to this tomorrow
    CD9B0465-34CB-4F40-8B0B-F1BDB819528D.jpg

wilcam47 likes this.
  13. Jul 11, 2020 at 8:15 PM
    wilcam47

wilcam47 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Arizona now!!!
    You going to melt..lol

14. Jul 11, 2020 at 8:21 PM
    CXYyuppie

CXYyuppie Sarcasm Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    SE.LA
    Vehicle:
    I swear I drank 10 bottles of water and 4 Gatorades from lunch to 6pm. I can’t remember it ever being this hot in my area. The batteries in my impact driver and reciprocating saw had to cool down before they would charge. It gave me an excuse to recharge too. Not even any wind to cool things off.

15. Jul 11, 2020 at 8:24 PM
    wilcam47

wilcam47 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Arizona now!!!
    Prob humid too? Thats no fun..

CXYyuppie likes this.
  16. Jul 11, 2020 at 9:24 PM
    Fargo Taco

Fargo Taco I'm your Huckleberry

Member:
    Fargo
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Pro
    Lomax tonneau cover, N-Fab Podium steps
    It was finally not absolute shit today like it has been. Got the Pilot washed, clay barred and ceramic waxed. Had never done the last two before so figured I'd test the waters on the 15 year old vehicle. Came out pretty amazing. :D

17. Jul 11, 2020 at 9:42 PM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    This is the first major problem we have had with our unit. If it lasts another year or so I’ll be fine. We’re selling the house so I don’t care. It’s lasted 15 years and still going strong. Unless something bad happens we’ll be good. If I was staying here we would replace it.

wilcam47 and Fargo Taco like this.
  18. Jul 12, 2020 at 7:04 AM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    I've had good luck with this company so far other than they didn't call right back which is a 1st for them. The only issue I've had out of my unit so far has been either the capacitor for the blower in the attic or the capacitor for the unit on the outside. Simple 5 min fix. I keep it cold in the house (especially at night). Usually by 9pm it's 69 degrees in the house and I'll almost have to put on a sweatshirt it's blowing so cold. I abuse the shit out of my A/C lol. We were sitting here the other night and I noticed that it was cool but nothing like it normally is. I flipped over to the Nest page on the computer and it was hovering between 78 - 79 degrees. WTF??? It was 79 outside. Felt around the house at a few vents that I can reach and it was blowing cold, just not much. Went outside and as soon as I rounded the corner of the house I could hear that something wasn't right. Literally right when I got out there the fan locked up. Fuck!!!! Shut the breaker off and called them. Dude said they would call me right back and send someone out. In the past this has not been an issue. I've had them show up at midnight before. But they never called back. Finally came out yesterday morning and he fixed it within 15 mins. New fan motor and that was that.

I've got a good friend on the FD that has an A/C company and he has done work for me in the past (especially at my old house). The only issue is, he's always covered up so it might be a day or so before he gets someone out to me. Fuck that... I'll pay. So I pay for the contract with this company and they come out twice a year and do maintenance on the units. Then, if something goes wrong, they fix it. They are located about two miles from my house so they have always been quick to come out. Just not the other night.

HomerTaco likes this.
  19. Jul 12, 2020 at 7:37 AM
    HomerTaco

HomerTaco O.o •_• -_- O.O Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Bucks County Pa.
    Vehicle:
    four sticks, dual cases, zero fucks...
    ...................................................................................................................................................... Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill with 12-15 front-end swap/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad mini / Safari Snorkel / Auto-pilot mode / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust re-route / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift / Inchworm 4.7 crawlbox / twin stick FJ t-case / Davez off-road triple-stick kit/
    I'm considering doing this to my truck this coming week. I'm off until 7/20
    The wife is headed to Vegas this evening to visit her friend who's in the middle of a battle with breast cancer and she's taking my daughter with her. I didn't want my son to be solo while I was working (even if I'm only out 3 days during the week) so I just took the whole week off. :D

20. Jul 12, 2020 at 7:55 AM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    If you had given me three days alone in the house by myself I could have burnt it down when I was a kid lol. Good call

Fargo Taco and HomerTaco like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top