1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

42 USFS trails that were closed- please write a comment!

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by TACOMABOSS, Oct 29, 2012.

1. Mar 23, 2013 at 9:21 AM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    Can we refrain from derogatory terms?

How do you read the document including proposal 3 "preferred alternative" to show closure of Deer Valley? On page 23 of:
    http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5410080.pdf

09N83-1 and 09N83-2 and labelled "Deer Valley" are color coded Light Purple as "Designate for Public Motorized Use with Mitigation"

I guess your point is that it was coded Green "Designate for Public Use with LRMP Amendment" in "Proposed Alternative 1" and that Repairing the trails requires NEPA process and will likely be a lengthy and costly process if it ever even happens.

I guess I'm not quite as skeptical as all that - but it does seem worthwhile for folks here to support "Alternative 1 (Proposed Action)" vs. "Alternative 3 (Preferred Alternative)"

2. Mar 24, 2013 at 3:02 PM
    sidetracked

sidetracked Well-Known Member

Member:
    Folsom, CA
    Vehicle:
    1 of each
    I apologize, I did not mean to offend anyone. We obviously have a different opinion of how well the forest service is doing their job of maintaining these trails and/or working with volunteer groups to mitigate issues before they result in lawsuits and closures. I have edited my original post.

As far as the routes are concerned however, if the Forest Supervisor decides to choose the preferred alternative #3 to the proposed action, the routes listed in my post, and many others will remain closed in their entirety UNTIL repairs have been made. If you read the DSEIS as well as look at the maps, you will see that when a route is listed as "Designate for Public Motorized Use with Mitigation" it means that the mitigation has to occur PRIOR to the route being opened for public motorized use.

When i spoke with the forest service personal that made themselves available to discuss these matters, i was informed that they would need to follow the NEPA process and get the operations funded in order to carry out the repairs. Currently they are requesting grant money to scope these projects, but have very limited funding to carry out the work. This means the trails will be closed if alt 3 is chosen for an unknown amount of time.

My recommendation would be to read the DSEIS carefully (what fun!) and make the best comments you can on any trail that is in there that you care about. Then i would also recommend that you make comments on their grant requests to the OHV division so that they can get funding to scope and perform the NEPA process and hopefully carry out the repairs in a timely fashion.

I am all for well maintained trails and have volunteered my time and labor to help many times over the years. I pick up trash and pack in/pack out everything including human waste and try to educate others to do the same whenever possible.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
  3. Mar 24, 2013 at 10:24 PM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    Thanks for the more detailed info. I haven't attended any of the public hearings and obviously you have.

I followed up my note to the forest service to make it clear that I was supporting "proposal 1" in preference to "proposal 3."

4. Mar 25, 2013 at 8:40 AM
    sidetracked

sidetracked Well-Known Member

Member:
    Folsom, CA
    Vehicle:
    1 of each
    Awesome! Every comment helps.

I know it is really hard to make it to their open houses from the bay area. I used to live in Fremont and it is really not feasible to try to make it to Placerville or Jackson on a weekday at 6 PM. It's hard enough to get from one side of the bay to the other!

5. Mar 25, 2013 at 9:00 PM
    llibrm

llibrm OH NOOOOOO!

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Winthrop, WA
    Vehicle:
    06 DCSB, 06 LC120 (sold)
    Pelfreybilt Aluminum Bumper, KING 2.5 on all four corners, 4x4 illuminated switch, Cobra 75 w/ 3' Firestick, 2M/ 70cm Radio w/ Diamond NR770HB, Pelfreybilt bed bar, Lightforce Stiker 170s, BD 20" OnX6, BD S2 ditch lites, BD Fogs
    I chimed in. Living in AZ, gotta help a neighbor out

6. Mar 25, 2013 at 11:05 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    I'm a "Damned Hippy" but no tree hugger (well maybe that one time frying on acid, we hugged for about 8 hours)....:p

Trail closures are subjective, some are legit, some are not, a good idea is to hook up with a local offroad club thats active & get involved with some "Trash & Trail " day, meaning you do a run on any trashed out trail of your choice & clean upo as you go, its a "win-win" You get a cleaner still open area to trail & it shows that you DO care about the environment, believe me, your local rangers & others will see it & helps big time when these issues come up...;)

Products Discussed in

To Top