1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

4cyl vs 6cyl

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by jbandt, Sep 17, 2012.

1. Sep 17, 2012 at 5:50 PM
    jbandt

jbandt [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Hi guys I need some opinions on fuel efficency. I like the mpgs from the 4 cyl, but don't like the acceleration. I know the 6cyl will have the power but don't like the mpg's.

The question is which would have better CITY mpg? 4 cyl prerunner access cab regeared to 4.56 to improve acceleration or 6cyl prerunner access cab. Assume no lift and the stock tires.

I know regearing loses highway mpg's, but I only do about 5% highway driving so that really isn't a concern. There would be no towing, minimal payload and virtually no offroad.

To me it just seems like it would be cheaper overall to regear a 4 than to own the 6 if I just want a commuter with a little more pep in it's step around town.

Don't beat me up too bad, I'me sure this has been discussed in previous threads.

2. Sep 17, 2012 at 6:20 PM
    ivel

ivel Well-Known Member

Member:
    Columbia, SC
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma SR5

Don't know for sure but I think a 4 cylinder with a 4.56 rear gear would have sucky mpg.

3. Sep 17, 2012 at 6:22 PM
    whippersnapper02

whippersnapper02 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Christian
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Vehicle:
    10 MGM TRD OR 4wd Auto DCSB
    Banks Monster Exhaust, Pop n Lock tailgate lock, Hook-Ups tie down brackets, USA Spec Ipod adaptor, WO seat covers, color matched grill with Grillcraft insert, Tuffy locking bed box
    Turbo 4 banger car.

4. Sep 17, 2012 at 6:25 PM
    4banger09

4banger09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Nb, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma Access cab 4cyl
    Leveled
    I get 10.6 l/100km which is 22 mpg I believe with city and highway probably 50/50. I'm also 4cyl access cab with a leveling kit and bigger tires. I don't find the 4cyl is that bad on power if you get th standard.

5. Sep 17, 2012 at 10:23 PM
    cfagan14

cfagan14 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    2012 4-banger Access Cab 4X4
    Sterling Equipment Winch Mount, WARN VR-8000-S,ARE Z Cap,Yakima Rack,Ironman 4x4 Lift, WeatherTech mats and mudflaps, Wet Okole seat covers, back-up camera mod, wiper mod, diff breather mod,fog lights.
    I live in the city right now, Atlanta to be exact.I find I do pretty good with the 4-cyl on highway but when it comes to driving around town my mpg just sucks,might as well drive the v6.I blame this mainly on the amount of stop and go traffic as the 4-cyl has work to move 4000 lbs of truck.

6. Sep 17, 2012 at 10:43 PM
    YotaKid62

YotaKid62 Dirty mall crawler

Member:
    First Name:
    Forrest
    North Dakota
    Vehicle:
    00 Tacoma TRD Sr5 5 speed
    Grey Wire Locker Mod, 3" coil spacers & custom leaf packs, 2" BL, Skyjacker rear nitro shocks, Monroe front gas shocks; 15" eclipse sub & 1400 watt visonik amp with Kenwood stereo, Billet Petals, Black Aries series Grille guard, ebay baja lights (unsure of brand)
    I honestly dont think a 4 and 6 cylender would be that much different in city driving. They would both suck for mpg's, but i would be asking the question more as to which transmission to get...obviously an auto for city would be more efficient. But overall i would think they wouldnt be that much different, especially if you plan to get a 2nd gen? I've never driven a taco other than my own (v6) '00, but i would assume the newer 4 bangers have more balls than the older ones and the newer v6's get a little better mpg than the older ones like mine. As awesome as they are, i guess i just wouldnt recommend a tacoma at all for your situation. It would be more practical to get some sort of little car. Good luck with whatever you decide though!

7. Sep 18, 2012 at 5:40 AM
    scaplus

scaplus Well-Known Member

Member:
    If you do plan on going around the city, I'd rather get the V6, better acceleration and probably better gas milage in city. I have a 06 4-Banger and I always have to floor that thing to get it going from a stop light. I get anywhere from 18-19 city and 23-27 highway.

8. Sep 18, 2012 at 8:04 AM
    shemp

shemp Well-Known Member

Member:
    Though I am on the fence about the engine, you are dead wrong on the transmission. Automatic transmission will be significantly less efficient in the city because you'll be running around full time with an unlocked torque converter.

On the highway, the auto/manual is a wash because the automatic locks up its torque converter.

Yeah, city driving comes down to how much energy it takes to accelerate a 4000 pound object. The particular engine shouldn't make much too much of a difference (as a percentage difference). The big difference between fuel consumption related to engine selection comes on the highway.

9. Sep 18, 2012 at 8:39 AM
    YotaKid62

YotaKid62 Dirty mall crawler

Member:
    First Name:
    Forrest
    North Dakota
    Vehicle:
    00 Tacoma TRD Sr5 5 speed
    Grey Wire Locker Mod, 3" coil spacers & custom leaf packs, 2" BL, Skyjacker rear nitro shocks, Monroe front gas shocks; 15" eclipse sub & 1400 watt visonik amp with Kenwood stereo, Billet Petals, Black Aries series Grille guard, ebay baja lights (unsure of brand)
    I guess i never thought about that, just the fact that you would always be gassing a manual transmission to get moving, plus the fact that a clutch is a pain in the ass in stop 'n go traffic. And its pretty hard on them if you aren't a pro driver. If i did any more city driving than i do i would definitely prefer the auto, even with the lower efficiency. Ill admit i really don't know much about transmissions, other than how to use them.

10. Sep 18, 2012 at 5:47 PM
    litegide24

litegide24 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Here is what I see. The 6 cylinder owners really like their trucks. On the other hand the 4 cylinder owners really like thier trucks. I know that doesn't help much but the good part about that is that you can't go wrong ;)

I've owned 5 Toyota trucks, keep buying the 4 cylinder because they are versatile, dependable, strong and economical. So I can only speak for the 4 cylinder experiences.

Not sure about regearing, it's worth a try... Although I'd make sure it's reversible so you can go back to stock if the rpm's (and mpg) is not what you expected. I know you said you're concerned about fuel mileage, would think Toyota has tried countless scenarios before deciding on the 3.58 gear for the New 4 cylinders to maximize fuel efficiency. I rarely need the passing gear and it seems fine off the stop lights.

What year truck are you looking for? Not sure if you've driven different year vehicles but they probably don't have the same gear as the new prerunners...

11. Sep 18, 2012 at 6:23 PM
    worthywads

worthywads Well-Known Member

Member:
    Peoples Republic of Boulder
    Vehicle:
    05 5-lug access I4 Stick, 70 Challenger Vert
    5-Lug, if you are only driving around city why get the pre-runner?

12. Sep 18, 2012 at 6:27 PM
    kyleTRDtaco12

kyleTRDtaco12 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2012 Toyota Tacoma Base DCSB 4x4 V6 6MT (202)
    TRD Cat-Back Exhaust TRD High-Flow Drop-In Air Filter TRD Sport Package Springs & Shocks (Front Linear Coil Springs, Rear TSB Leafs) Front & Rear Toyota/Bilstein 40mm Shocks) OEM Black-Chrome Housed Headlights (SR package) OEM Rear PreRunner MudFlaps OEM 'TRD Sport' Bedside Graphics TRD QuickShifter w/ TRD Shift Knob TRD High-Performance Front Brake Pads OEM Front Aluminum Skid-Plate Rear Diff. Breather Mod A/C Drain Extension Mod OEM Fog Lights OEM Stow-Away Roof Rack OEM Black Tube Steps OEM Intermittent Wiper Switch OEM Bed D-Rings OEM Door Sill Protectors Blacked-Out Badges Pop & Lock Tailgate Handle TonnoPro Tri-Fold Tonneau Cover AVS BugFlector II Front Bug Guard AVS In-Channel Window Vent Visors AVS Tail-Light Covers TRD High Performance Oil Filter TRD Oil Cap TRD High Pressure Radiator Cap AMI Stubby Radio Antenna Ultra-Gauge EM v1.2 w/ Windshield Mount BullaCulla 7-Pin Relocation Bracket Misc. Stickers/Badges
    buy a 4 cylinder cuz the 6 cylinder is a gas hog lol... and buy a 5 speed 4 cylinder SR5 and make it look like this, i just found this pic in another thread and i think it looks sick!! props to the owner of this one! :)

[​IMG]

13. Sep 18, 2012 at 6:34 PM
    4banger09

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Nb, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Leveled
    [​IMG]

4cyl pride!!!

14. Sep 18, 2012 at 6:37 PM
    litegide24

Member:
    I should have said, 6 cylinder owners like their trucks, 6 lug 4 cylinder owners like their trucks, 5 lug 4 cylinder owners like their trucks... So you can't go wrong.

But to better answer your question I wanted the double cab, I saw some images of the 5 lug double cab and I wasn't comfortable with that look.

15. Sep 18, 2012 at 6:40 PM
    worthywads

Member:
    Vehicle:
    OP only wants access cab.

16. Sep 18, 2012 at 7:02 PM
    litegide24

Member:
    . True, but OP also wants a Prerunner...

17. Sep 18, 2012 at 7:06 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns Lord of War

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off Road Full-Auto
    All-Pro Front Bumper, All-Pro UCAs, Icon ET Coilovers, Icon VS Rear Shocks, TSB Leafs, Timbren Bumpstops, CBI Sliders, ViAir Compressor, Klearz LED 3rd Brake Light, Pop-N-Lock Tailgate Handle, Husky Front Flaps, Deeza HD Sway Bar Links
  18. Sep 18, 2012 at 7:14 PM
    4banger09

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Nb, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Leveled

Manual, I wouldn't feel comfortable getting an auto 6 lug 4cyl access cab 4x4 (what I have I know he wants prerunner).

19. Sep 18, 2012 at 7:19 PM
    worthywads

Member:
    Vehicle:
    True, and I asked why?

20. Sep 18, 2012 at 7:30 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns Lord of War

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off Road Full-Auto
    All-Pro Front Bumper, All-Pro UCAs, Icon ET Coilovers, Icon VS Rear Shocks, TSB Leafs, Timbren Bumpstops, CBI Sliders, ViAir Compressor, Klearz LED 3rd Brake Light, Pop-N-Lock Tailgate Handle, Husky Front Flaps, Deeza HD Sway Bar Links
    There's interesting info in the press kit. For example, apparently 5-luggers have a larger turning circle than 6-luggers of the same wheelbase, due to less steering rack stroke.

To Top