1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

4low-trac

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by Isthatahemi, Sep 12, 2009.

1. tacomafide

tacomafide Cheese it in there!

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    '10 DCLB TRD Sport+Leather Pkg.
    de-badged, de-stickered, no jewlery, level kit (removed after second front dif), tint, skid plate (now dented), front tow hook off of Land Cruzer, reciever d hook (cleavis), yellow wire mod, abs kill sw. mod, window visors, stubby antena, anytime reverse lights mod, anytime reverse camera mod, blizzacks on stealies, bed lights mod, weathertec mats allround,
    Hope it goes well.
    I have done both and find them nice to have.

2. Benson X

Benson X ...and we're back!

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Olympia, WA
    Vehicle:
    '11 MGM DC/LB
    Debadged, Black Toyota Emblem, TRD Emblem, Tint, Leer 100XL w/ Thule Tracker II rails, aFe Stage II Si Pro Dry-S CAI, aFe Mach Power 3" cat-back exhaust, Doug Thorley Y-Pipe, Bedmat, Weathertech liners, Weathertech window vents, Redline Hood Struts, 12v Anytime Mod, Maglight Mod, FOB/Seatbelt Mod, Rear Diff. Breather Mod, OEM Heated Mirrors Mod, OME 886 Coils w/ 90k Nitro Shocks up front, OME N182 Shocks with Dakars and a D29XL AAL in back, Light Racing UCAs, 1/2" Toytec Front Spacers, swaybar delete Mod, (4) 1" BORA Wheel Spacers, 285/70R17 Goodyear MT/R (originals), hidden Cobra 19DX IV w/ 4' Firestik on a Relentless Mount, custom Sliders, ARB Bumper, Warn VR-8000s w/ Syn. line, custom Tool/Hi-Lift mounts, custom Engine Bay and Winch-area LEDs, csJumper interior LEDs, custom TRD Skull Decal, 10" SeeLite LED light-bar custom mounted in the grille, custom Front & Mid skidplate, Garmin 60CSX GPS w/ RAM mounts....RAN OUT OF
    *UPDATE*

So I successfully did the ABS kill mod, and the Yellow-Wire mod.

Thanks to Milowilli for pointing me in the right direction for the ABS kill on a Non-Off-Road VSC enabled Tacoma. Cut the Light Green (same spot as the Blue w/ Yellow Trace) wire, and connect it to a SPST On-Off switch. No grounding necessary EASY!!!

I took some pics, and will incorporate a more detailed description in the thread I started while I was researching how to do both mods (ABS Kill / YWM).

I have to say, it's nice being able to kill the ABS when it's icy out, and I'm sure it will be useful when off-road. We've had freezing fog in the PNW for the last couple days, with temps below freezing. I tested it out on the way to work this morning and I feel a lot safer being able to stop on my own without a computer controlling my brakes.

3. monsterkx2fiddy

monsterkx2fiddy Well-Known Member

Member:
    tennessee
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5
    Hey can you also write up how to put it on a switch? (im questioning myself for some reason)

4. Benson X

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Olympia, WA
    Vehicle:
    '11 MGM DC/LB
    Debadged, Black Toyota Emblem, TRD Emblem, Tint, Leer 100XL w/ Thule Tracker II rails, aFe Stage II Si Pro Dry-S CAI, aFe Mach Power 3" cat-back exhaust, Doug Thorley Y-Pipe, Bedmat, Weathertech liners, Weathertech window vents, Redline Hood Struts, 12v Anytime Mod, Maglight Mod, FOB/Seatbelt Mod, Rear Diff. Breather Mod, OEM Heated Mirrors Mod, OME 886 Coils w/ 90k Nitro Shocks up front, OME N182 Shocks with Dakars and a D29XL AAL in back, Light Racing UCAs, 1/2" Toytec Front Spacers, swaybar delete Mod, (4) 1" BORA Wheel Spacers, 285/70R17 Goodyear MT/R (originals), hidden Cobra 19DX IV w/ 4' Firestik on a Relentless Mount, custom Sliders, ARB Bumper, Warn VR-8000s w/ Syn. line, custom Tool/Hi-Lift mounts, custom Engine Bay and Winch-area LEDs, csJumper interior LEDs, custom TRD Skull Decal, 10" SeeLite LED light-bar custom mounted in the grille, custom Front & Mid skidplate, Garmin 60CSX GPS w/ RAM mounts....RAN OUT OF
  5. monkeyface

monkeyface Douchebag, or just douche if we're friends

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2012 4WD AC SR5, 4.0, MT, sold 27k
    Many thanks to all of you guys that pioneered this mod.

Did it today. Soldered a rocker switch in and left it hanging behind the glove box just in case I have to take it in for warranty service sometime. I figured why not? I don't want any problems with the dealer.

6. madcatter

madcatter Well-Known Member

Member:
    western pa
    Vehicle:
    2010 tacoma
    jl audio stealthbox jl audio slash g2-500/1v2 good year dura-tracs jl audio g-class 50wattX2amp mb quart 5 1/4" rear matted mb quart 6.5 comp.set lotsa dynamat 4ga amp kit 16 gauge wire kit control knob on dash pioneer avic-x910bt in dash navigation dvd playback sirus tuner/bus interface built in blue tooth toyota environmental package leaf tsb weather tech floor liners yellow wire mod gray wire mod compartment bed lights added tie down d rings
    well today i changed the rear/front diff oil as well as the transfer case oil.while letting the stuff drain(which was pretty clean for 75k)i disconnected the battery and cut the wire.when i started the truck it stalled and i thought piss,started it up again and no problems,i hadda go test it.i went to the steepest hill i have climbed to date,about half way up i started to spin,the diffs started doing their thing and i crept forward then stuck again.held my position with the brake and gave it some gas,letting out the brake,started spinning from wheel to wheel but made it another 2 foot then stupped again.did the brake release with some more throttle and away i went up and over the top,probably coulda went at that pace for another 25 yards lol.love the mod folks,i will video the hill when the sun is upo som,etime

7. slowmod01

slowmod01 Active Member

Member:
    did this mod on my 13 sport today, but when i put it in 4low the light stays solid and no beeping. is this normal on the 12-13's? No switch, just snipped the wire. 2nd one from top with black tracer

8. Benson X

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Olympia, WA
    Vehicle:
    '11 MGM DC/LB
    That should be the right wire. It worked on my '11 Sport.

It isn't necessarily supposed to beep, but the 4LO lamp should blink when engaged.

You can check my write-up too if needed, but it's the same.
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/technical-chat/257444-4lo-trac-abs-kill-switch-why-why-not.html#post6254361

9. slowmod01

slowmod01 Active Member

Member:
    well it turns out i did thr second wire from the top, not counting the first one... not sure how i managed that, but nothing some solder and heatshrink tubing couldnt fix. got the right one this time and the 4lo light is flashing

10. Benson X

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Olympia, WA
    Vehicle:
    '11 MGM DC/LB
  11. KWMF

KWMF B.S. Goodwrench

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    WNC
    Vehicle:
    2013 RC 4WD AT
    20% Tint, Factory Cruise, Delayed Wiper Switch, Factory Fogs, Hitch, Toyota OEM bed box,
    ???

I know there are capacitors that keep energy, so codes are saved in memory for a while, what's the trick to depleting their energy to erase the codes stored???

Some mechanics at a dealer I worked at would touch the negative and positive cables together when the battery was out,

I was a little hesitant but it worked...

Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
  12. mistaare

mistaare Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    silver. sport.
    Just curious if anyone has done the YWM and towed, pulled or hauled anything in very poor traction?

Example - pulling someone out of a ditch in the snow or slick mud?

I have a hard time pulling my trailer with firewood up a short, steep, freshly graveled road. I can only (and barely) make it in 4L 2nd gear. I have to floor it, I can feel the wheel spin with the tach running between 3-4 grand and barely make it by the time I get to the top.

Thanks!
    :)

13. morseguy

morseguy Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    MA
    Vehicle:
    subscribed

14. mistaare

Member:
    Vehicle:
    silver. sport.
    What is the secret to just pulling the second wire out with out cutting it?

15. morseguy

morseguy Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    MA
    Vehicle:
    The purpose of pulling it out is so that you can return the harness to "factory original" condition again by re-inserting that pin.
    That way if you have to go to the dealer for warranty work, it won't look tampered with.

If you meant how to actually remove the pin from the connector, I means taking some kind of a small pointed object to depress the barb that keeps the pin in it's place in the connector. I've done this on other electronics, not yet on my Taco yet.

MY QUESTION IS, after the mod and in 4lo, can I turn off the traction control with "swerve switch", should I need to rock the vehicle back and forth?
    It was probably covered in earlier posts, but I'm too lazy to go back and look through all of them.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2013
  16. morseguy

morseguy Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    MA
    Vehicle:
    Okay, just answered my question.
    I've only had my 011 taco for two weeks now, so when I do the mod, I'll extract the pin from the connector and cover it. It's been a long time since I have had a car with a warranty and don't want any hassle from the dealer!

17. mistaare

Member:
    Vehicle:
    silver. sport.
    Morse - yes, that is what I meant, actually removing from the connector. I have a REALLY tiny screw driver and tried once. I will try again!

No one has any experience with the YWM and being loaded down in slick conditions?

Anyone have any experience with this in slick and/or deep snow?

18. morseguy

morseguy Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    MA
    Vehicle:
    Well I performed the YWM today.
    I disconnected the neg. term. on the battery.
    I did not want to cut any wires! I've only had my 2011 Access Cab, v6, 6 speed, reg 4wd, sr5 for 4 weeks now.

The hardest part was extracting that pin for the connector. I got it done after about 20 minutes.
    I then put heatshrink tubing over the end of that wire, folded it back, hid it inside the harness with the rest of the wires and wrapped elec. tape around it just like the factory used. A toyota tec. would have to be looking real hard to notice the mod. If I am ever questioned, I'll just say, "I bought the truck used from you guys, I don't know what your talking about."
    Anyway it worked out just fine. Upon restarting the motor it rand for 2 seconds and then died. I was already aware of this doing the foglight mod.
    I played with all of the 4wd and trac. modes and it all worked just as posted. I could not really test it because all off the snow from our two storms has melted. What I really like is the fact that I can still turn off the traction control with the trac switch in 4lo and go back to the factory default.

19. MightyMouse-SCT

MightyMouse-SCT Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gabriel
    O'SIDE CA
    Vehicle:
    MightyMouse-SCT - 2011 LT 4x4 Desert Runner
    Long Travel Total chaos kit, fox shocks, smp fab , dmz sua, glassworks, method wheels.
    I just reached in took off some of the black tape to get to the wire and cut it . Done. No problems

20. malbanese

malbanese Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Houston Tx
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma dclb spruce
    Hood struts, weathertech 5100's all around allpro skid dif vent mod undercover
    I did the same on a 2013. I didn't disconnect the battery, just the yellow wire connector. Plugged it back in and started fine, no stall no check eng light.
    Did some wheeling at Big Bend but didn't encounter anything aggressive enough to kick in 4lo.

To Top