1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

4Runner vs Tacoma

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas' started by fotofuey, Jul 19, 2007.

1. fotofuey

fotofuey [OP] New Member

Member:
    I'd like to get some feedback from this forum. I am trying to decide between a 4runner and a Tacoma. The debate between having a truck or an suv, I can work out on my own. My question is more about the difference in off road capabilities.

As an off road vehicle does the TRD Tacoma out perform the 4Runner or visa versa? Are their off road capabilities comparable? Love to hear from someone who's had both.

2. nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    SUV's tend to perform a little better off-road since they have more weight in the back and can get more traction in the rear. I have not looked into the 4runner so i have no idea what kind of suspension options they offer. If they offer an option with bilsteins, then i would say the 4runner would out perform the tacoma, especially if you lifted it a litte, since 4runners sit a litte closer to the ground. Personally i think a truck is all around more useful than an SUV, but thats just a personal preference. so you really need to find out about the suspension options and possibly frame construction, not sure how the 4runner frame compares to the taco. Once you find that out it will be easier to decide

3. SLOTaco

SLOTaco Ultimate Member

Member:
    Central Coast, California
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Sport
    '06 TRD Sport 4x4 AC, K&N drop in air filter, Magnaflow cat back, Bilstein 5100's with Toytec adjustable front coil over 3" lift, rear TSB, AllPro UCA's.
    The only problem with the suv is that it wieghs more, so you'll have more trouble on sand or getting over some terrain. Obviouslsly I like the trucks better but I truly believe that you could get more offroad performance out of the truck than the suv.

4. Lee's06Taco

Lee's06Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Visalia, CA
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport 4X4
    X2 on that.

5. Viet2100

Viet2100 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Viet
    Delray Beach, FL
    Vehicle:
    2007 Infiniti G35S
    SUV = flip

6. Mudbug

Mudbug Well-Known Member

Member:
    Amsoil 0w-20 engine oil and Amsoil Full synthetic 75w-90 in the Transmission, transfer case, front and rear Differentials. AFE Cold Air Intake
    SUV= soccer mom car. haha
    I say truck just for the above fact.
    Aside from that. I have to agree that I think the truck would do better off road because it won't sink in the mud as much.

7. caglezxj

caglezxj Well-Known Member

Member:
    I have both. A 06 4 Runner Sport 4x4, and a 07 TRD Sport 4x4 access cab. The suv cost more, and I had rather take my truck out instead. For light camping and just riding back roads the 4 Runner is nice. I am a big time 4x4 fan. I build rock crawlers www.twistedoffroadcustoms.com . However If I was picking one for more offroad and maybe lifting and biger tires I would go with the truck. I work for Toyota Motor Manufacturing in North Alabama. I said I would never have a truck other than a chevy. However I like the tacoma. Sense we build the same V6 and the V8 for the Tundra. I know it is a good engine.

8. nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    well i guess i stand corrected, go with the truck, they look better anyway :)

To Top