1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

4wd does not work at N O T

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by roverskunk, Dec 13, 2011.

1. Dec 13, 2011 at 8:03 PM
    roverskunk

roverskunk [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    95 Tacoma 3.4l 5spd 33s
    Bilstein 5100/OME 882, rear long aal, all-pro u-bolt flip and weld on shock mnts, pro comp shocks, 33" General Grabber, Addicted offroad front bumper, xrc8 winch, amazon special synthetic rope, lockright rear locker, OME spring hangers, magnaflow ss cat,
    So, as long as my engine is cold, my 4wd works just fine. When the engine is up to temp it will not engage. The truck is a 95, its vacuum, I have not done any of the testing recommended by the haynes manual. Just hoping someone else has had the same issue and can tell me what might be the problem.
    A Question: Will an electronic unit from a newer Tacoma swap in to my differential? Is this a good or bad idea?

2. Dec 15, 2011 at 3:40 PM
    Phearson

Phearson Taco or Die

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Gresham OR
    Vehicle:
    1996 SR5 Tacoma. 33x10.5 Kevlar 3in lift
    Does the light not come on or can you not hear the 4x4 ingage.

With my 96 sometimes the light wont pop on so i thought it wasnt working. come to findout it does just the light is shorted or something.

IMG_2439.jpg

3. Dec 15, 2011 at 8:59 PM
    shampoop

shampoop Well-Known Member

Member:
    southwest WA
    Vehicle:
    08 tacoma extracab v6 auto trd offroad 4x4
    The transfer case is actuated electronically, but I believe the automatic front hubs work on vacuum. If they do, there's probably a check valve and/or vacuum reservoir somewhere in the system. One of those things being faulty would make sense in your situation. When you're at WOT, you're not making vacuum.

Products Discussed in

To Top