1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

4wd Light flashes but does not engage

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by sloppyjoe, Feb 9, 2011.

1. Feb 23, 2014 at 10:21 PM
    Waiehuboy2

Waiehuboy2 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ajay
    Maui
    Vehicle:
    08tacoma
    My 2008 toyota tacoma a/t 4x4 light keeps blinking and doesnt want to engage into 4x4 what does this mean?

2. Feb 23, 2014 at 10:40 PM
    whahahajr

whahahajr Lone Star Club

Member:
    First Name:
    jimbob
    New Braunfels, Tx
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma TRD
    Camburg Uniball UCA, ARB Front Bumper, TAG rear bumper, OME rear shocks, All Pro 3" leaf springs
    Have you checked the switch out to make sure it's functioning?

3. Mar 22, 2014 at 8:35 PM
    Whitespaceship

Whitespaceship Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    San Antonio (Helotes)
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4
    Leveling Kit, 32' Wrangler Authority, 10' Kicker Sub, 450w JL audio amp, blacked out emblems, aftermarket Sony stereo, just got it 2 weeks ago looking to do more!
    I have a 2008 Tacoma trd sport with manual trans and I have same problem the light came on days after using 4x4 and would go away now the light flashes everytime I drive the truck. any solutions?! I've tried everything that one can do in the drivers seat even pulled the fuse out :(

4. Aug 10, 2016 at 12:14 PM
    Edie011

Edie011 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central ohio
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma trd xtracab

My problem is that neither one engages? Any ideas?

5. Feb 13, 2017 at 3:26 PM
    Exmerchant39

Exmerchant39 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    2007 Silver Tacoma TRD SRE
    NONE
    can anyone help me here? at least point me in the right direction. i get all the crazy lights but now she won't even engage to 4wheel. on occasion she wants to engage the front on her own while i'm driving but i get a grinding sound. i then flip the switch to 4hi and back and the gear grind goes away. 4lo in green still flashes. i've read in this forum about a vacuum line. could i have a problem there? i'm sure the issue is a pretty easy fix (w/o too much $$$$). any suggestions?

6. Feb 13, 2017 at 11:40 PM
    santas212

santas212 I'm on a boat!

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Georgetown, CT
    Vehicle:
    '09 DCLB, TRD Sport, Barcelona Red
    Mostly miscellaneous electronic mods.... -2 spare Electrical fuse blocks hard wired to the battery with a key on relay. -Hard Wired Radar detector over rearview mirror. -2 Dual Whelen Avenger blue LED emergency lights, one on each side of the rearview mirror. -EP911 Blue LED Light Bar & Traffic Advisor, Rear Windows. -4 corner amber strobes in stock lights. -Hardwired RF Scanner with external speaker under center console. -Huskyliner front splash guards -Fireband 2 way radio in center console. -Herculiner painted on hitch and skid plate. -Switch to power one 12v socket when truck is off. -AntiDark LED strip under hood with switch. -Timbren Rubber Springs - Rear -MBRP Offroad Cat-Back with Resonator -Duratrac's -Provisor -Color matched hood bug shield
    My problem with my 09 turned out to be the transfer case actuator. It was spotty for a year but it would usually go after a few tries. Eventually it wouldn't engage ever. Took it to the dealer. They replaced the transfer case actuator at $1100 for the part and $1200 for the labor... it sucked and took like 9 days for the work. At least they gave me a '16 with 200 miles on it for the time being.

After I got it back it took some frequent use in and out of 4wd for it to really give me confidence in the system again. There were a few times it got hung up. Trying to remember to engage it regularly now as a sort of preventative maintenance.

7. Sep 12, 2017 at 2:12 AM
    MicComa

MicComa Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    ADK MTNS, NY
    My buddy has a 2008 Tacoma, 4cyl, 5 spd and yesterday when he turned the dash switch to 4x4 the light just flashed but no 4x4. Standing outside the truck in the passenger side I could hear the actuator on the transfer case making noise for several seconds then stopping but light just flashing.
    Crawled under truck and found a very small hose broke of the front differential. Seems it broke where the nipple comes out of the differential housing.
    After what I have read here I believe that is just a vent and isn't what it is causing it not to engage, am I correct in thinking that ? Thank you for any help you can give me.
    Is the front actuator really 1100.00 dollars like I have read on hear ?? DAMN !!!!! That hurts.

8. Sep 12, 2017 at 2:40 AM
    santas212

santas212 I'm on a boat!

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Georgetown, CT
    Vehicle:
    '09 DCLB, TRD Sport, Barcelona Red
    Mostly miscellaneous electronic mods.... -2 spare Electrical fuse blocks hard wired to the battery with a key on relay. -Hard Wired Radar detector over rearview mirror. -2 Dual Whelen Avenger blue LED emergency lights, one on each side of the rearview mirror. -EP911 Blue LED Light Bar & Traffic Advisor, Rear Windows. -4 corner amber strobes in stock lights. -Hardwired RF Scanner with external speaker under center console. -Huskyliner front splash guards -Fireband 2 way radio in center console. -Herculiner painted on hitch and skid plate. -Switch to power one 12v socket when truck is off. -AntiDark LED strip under hood with switch. -Timbren Rubber Springs - Rear -MBRP Offroad Cat-Back with Resonator -Duratrac's -Provisor -Color matched hood bug shield

I heard the front diff actuator was less $399 maybe? Not sure where I saw that. My issue was transfer case actuator. That one was $1100...

9. Sep 12, 2017 at 4:15 AM
    MicComa

MicComa Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    ADK MTNS, NY
    Well we are going to jack up the front and try to figure out what's not working. Can hear the actuator on the transfer case making noise but not sure it is working. The hose on the front actuator is just a vent and not a vacuum source, correct ? Thank you.

10. Mar 9, 2019 at 7:44 AM
    marks123

marks123 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma v6
    I was having the same problem. Lights always flashing, no engagement of 4wd hi or lo. I know this wont work for everyone having this problem and I probably just got lucky, but I pulled the 4wd fuse to check it (it looked fine) and when I put it back in everything worked again. Might as well try this before going too deep into repairs!

11. Mar 9, 2019 at 8:02 AM
    Benny123

Benny123 Kid from the late 70s

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    South Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    2005 Speedway Blue Tacoma AC V6 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Replacing everything worn, broken, and rusted.

Products Discussed in

To Top