1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

4WD Not Engaging

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by WhiskyJack, Feb 27, 2012.

1. Feb 27, 2012 at 5:21 PM
    WhiskyJack

WhiskyJack [OP] Member

Member:
    Went off roading a while back, was going pretty hard then got stuck because my 4wd was no longer engaged. The light flashes. Think it's the vacuum tube?

I've been meaning to get this fixed all winter, but the remarkable lack of snow has allowed me to procrastinate until now.

Easy enough to check and fix? Or should I just let a shop deal with it?

2. Feb 27, 2012 at 7:12 PM
    luk8272

luk8272 Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Kaplan, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver4dr. 4x4, V6 Shortbed
    5% Tint, Bug flector, vent Visors, Removed secondary air filter, Rear Spring TSB w/ Wheeler's Add A Leaf HD Pack, Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Toytec 3" lift up front with Total Chaos UCA's, Debadged, Billet Grille,TRD Offroad rims/17x9 Pro comp 6001 rims, Duratracs 265/75/16 or 285/70/17, Fog light anytime mod, Tailgate hose clamp mod, Pro-dry AFE filter. Extended Differential Breather, ABS on/off, 6000k LEDs from CSJumper, heads/fogs, ScanguageII, Devil horns, Devil horns on third brake light, Mounted 60" Highlift, Mounted Tool Box, Wet Okole Front/Rear Seat Covers, TW sticker, Midland Handheld CB,Painted engine cover, Revenge Fab Sliders, ARE Topper, Weather tech Floorliners.
    Not trying to be a smart ass but was it actually engaged?
    The light should stay lit solid when engaged. I'm not trying to insult you but you'd be surprised how many times people just don't have it locked in 4wd.
    have you tried working it in a straight line slowly forwards and backwards while trying to engage it?

Better yet give us some info on your truck, Auto/manual and year.

3. Feb 27, 2012 at 7:12 PM
    H Bomb

H Bomb Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    SAS'd 92 Pickup/08 SR5 Tacoma
    I replaced the actuator on my front diff last year. It was easy to do. Just drain the diff, unbolt the actuator, replace with new one, then fill it back up. As far as diagnosing the problem... I dont know how to do that haha

4. Feb 27, 2012 at 7:47 PM
    WhiskyJack

WhiskyJack [OP] Member

Member:
    Its a 2006 4cyl manual reg cab

Luk, it was in the summer, so it's been a while, but I'm quite sure. I won't completely discount the possibility that it was off, but I don't know why I would have disengaged it while I was still playing in the dirt. Either way, drove across a rut and curiously got stuck, noticed there was no more 4wd.

I've tried engaging it stopped and driving at different speeds. The 4wd light flashes at all settings of the 4wd controller.

5. Feb 27, 2012 at 10:15 PM
    badger

badger Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5
    4wd will not engage until the ECU senses that the ADD is engaged. Could be the ADD or anything in between like a shorted wire.

6. Feb 28, 2012 at 12:51 AM
    WhiskyJack

WhiskyJack [OP] Member

Member:
    What does ADD stand for?

7. Feb 28, 2012 at 5:41 AM
    brutalguyracing

brutalguyracing BIG DADDY

Member:
    F.U> GUYZ
    broken mods
    this....i had a guy ask me last week at a wheelin event...whats the mod to turn off the beeping and flashing when im in 4 wheel low:eek:
    ohh so your not add

8. Feb 28, 2012 at 9:03 AM
    WhiskyJack

WhiskyJack [OP] Member

Member:
    Any suggestions on troubleshooting this? Might a code reader identify the problem specifically?

9. Feb 28, 2012 at 4:59 PM
    WhiskyJack

WhiskyJack [OP] Member

Member:
    Ok, thanks guys. Gonna recruit some experienced help on this one, sounds like more of a project than I had hoped.

In your best estimation, what do you expect to pay to get this fixed at a shop?

To Top