1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

4wd wont disengage

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by pollyclan5, Aug 31, 2011.

1. Aug 31, 2011 at 8:45 PM
    pollyclan5

pollyclan5 [OP] New Member

Member:
    michigan
    Vehicle:
    o7 tacoma trd
    hey folks. heres how it started...in the last month i have notice on two seperate days that my 4wd light started flashing while driving on a nice paved road at 60 or so mph. Both times I slow down 5 - 10 mph turned the switch to 4hi and the light goes solid as it should, then i switched it back to 2wd and it went off and stayed off. I took it to toyota dealer who said he read no codes but if light stays on bring it back. They were so kind that they even washed my taco and only charged me 68$. A bargain for a car wash wouldnt you say!!! Now fast forward 5 days, planning a long trip wiyh my girls so I go to get the oil changed and a 4wd service thinking that might help!? Leave the service and 15 miles later pull into a gas station. When I pulled in I could tell my truck seemed like it was in 4hi? I have tried several things to no avail! The light is not on in 2wd and it seems to shift into 4hi(with light coming on 4hi) and 4lo(with light coming on 4lo) but when turned back to 2wd (light goes out) it seems like it doesnt disengage completly!? There is some clicking going on especially when in driving in reverse and turning. Any HELP would be appreciated, dont wanna pay for another car wash!!!! Had to cancel the trip with my now broken hearted little girls so that is a bummer! Hope someone has an idea! Thanks

2. Aug 31, 2011 at 8:53 PM
    S.B.

S.B. Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    SD, CA Now in Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    08 Taco 4x4 TRD OffRoad Rugged Trail
    SAW 2.0s, Wheeler's 3-leaf AAL, On Board Air, 255/85/16 Cooper Discover S/T, CBI Sliders, Built right UCAs, 6" Harbor Freight Lights (converted to HIDs), KC Slim Lights.
    Might be the actuator on the T-case going bad.

3. Aug 31, 2011 at 9:02 PM
    pollyclan5

Member:
    michigan
    Vehicle:
    o7 tacoma trd
    Yeah Ive been finding that it may be the actuator. Im trying to get the best idea before spending a but load on diagnosing the problem. Thanks Ill let you know how it turns out.

4. Aug 31, 2011 at 9:12 PM
    Night

Night Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD OR AC MagGrey
    Banks Monster Exhaust, aFe ProGuard 7, 3M Film, UnderCoating, alpine 920 headunit, alpine 6.5 components, 20% tint all around, JL Stealthbox, PDX-V9 Amp, Avid Lightbar, Avid Sliders, Full Metal JackRabbit Tonneau, TRD S/C
    Yea this is the most likely cause because its not software side because you hear clicking most likely from the T-Case

5. Aug 31, 2011 at 9:16 PM
    pollyclan5

Member:
    michigan
    Vehicle:
    o7 tacoma trd
    Yeah makes sense. Expensive fix? Havent had my taco long and this is the first repair.

6. Aug 31, 2011 at 9:19 PM
    S.B.

S.B. Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    SD, CA Now in Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    08 Taco 4x4 TRD OffRoad Rugged Trail
    SAW 2.0s, Wheeler's 3-leaf AAL, On Board Air, 255/85/16 Cooper Discover S/T, CBI Sliders, Built right UCAs, 6" Harbor Freight Lights (converted to HIDs), KC Slim Lights.
    irrc They are a few hundred to buy.

To Top