1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

4x2 vs 4x4

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by Lucky Dragon, Nov 30, 2015.

1. Nov 30, 2015 at 4:53 AM
    Lucky Dragon

Lucky Dragon [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hi,

I'm all new to pick up trucks and considering buying a 4x2 Limited over a 4x4 TRD Sport w/ Premium Tech. Many truck owners in south florida tell me to skip the 4x4 and add a locking differential to a 4x2. Most of the trucks I've encountered at the local boat ramps are also 4x2; I don't own a boat but I've read a lot about people getting stuck on slippery ramps or in high tide. I might go over some muddy terrain from heavy rain, my 4x2 CR-V almost got stuck, but after kicking up the mud everywhere I got out LOL. Many tell me in that situation a 4x4 would not have helped, again citing the need for a locking diff. I might also want to try driving over beach sand, soft type.. though in south florida not sure I'm allowed to. I appreciate any thoughts.. I don't care about resale value, I'm more concerned with getting the right setup for the best price.

My main reason for buying a pickup is to carry kayaks without using a trailer.

In regards to locking diffs, it seems only the Off Road model has it. Even if I got a 4x4 Limited I'd still need to add one? Has anyone here done that to their 2016 Tacoma, I'm interested in reading about your experience, costs, and make/model diff you went with.

2. Nov 30, 2015 at 5:03 AM
    genequit

genequit Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gene
    Goodyear Arizona
    Vehicle:
    white
    Yup. If you want locking diffs, Offroad is your model. As far as 4X4, I look at it like car insurance. It cost money but sure comes in handy when I've needed it.

smugly, EODTRD and smitty99 like this.
  3. Nov 30, 2015 at 5:14 AM
    Dagosa

Dagosa Well-Known Member

Member:
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2015 Taco TRD OR
    Debaged
    If you have survived without 4x4, you can continue. The LSD mode should be sufficient for your 2wd needs. If you don't regulary need to go off road, 4x4 is a waste of money and mileage. You can deal with boat Ramps with the traction device it comes with and added weight in the rear and good rain tires. You should be concerned with these three items in all trucks, all of the time regardless of drive train.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2015
    SilverBullet19 likes this.
  4. Nov 30, 2015 at 5:22 AM
    jimsmithrn

jimsmithrn Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Vehicle:
    2016 Quicksand Tacoma TRD Off Road
    2WD vs. 4WD: The eternal (or infernal) question. As a guy who has spent a lot of time off road, I promise that 4WD is great to have along for the ride if you're going off pavement. Really. Sure, a lot of times, I am off road and never even engage 4WD. As genequit says above, it's like insurance; you'd better have it when you need it! Let me give you a couple of quick examples:

1) I was in my Jeep in the Pinelands in NJ about 20 years ago. Lots of great gravel roads for driving fast and getting a little air. I turned off of the gravel road onto a less-developed sand road and was still in 2WD. I was puttering around just fine until I wasn't. I got stuck. I engaged 4WD and voila, I was out.

2) I was driving my Jeep in 2WD down I-71 in a snowstorm in 2WD. I hit some really slippery roads and the back end kept pulling out of line. I engaged 4WD and voila, straight lines.

3) I had my brand new Tacoma Off-Road in my back pasture during a rainstorm - think horses and lots of mud. It was in 2WD and it didn't want to go up a really slippery hill. I engaged 4WD and guess what? yup, voila, it went straight up the hill without complaint. Of course, I also took that opportunity to go back and forth, up and down that hill with crawl control and the terrain select and the locking diff using different combinations of each. Wow. That thing pulled uphill like a mule with cleats.

4) I was crossing a river in 4WD and got completely stuck. Like, "oh-crap-how-am-I-gonna-get-out-of-this-one" stuck. Needed a winch. I think I could have had 8WD and have been in trouble there! 4WD was useless.

By the way, the only type of vehicle that I was never able to get stuck was a Bradley Fighting Vehicle. I threw track more than I'd care to admit, but I never got one stuck and I buried those darned things on a pretty regular basis!

So, generally speaking, if you're going to be off road, you should really think about 4WD. Maybe you're just buying a truck for 100% on road use in South Florida though. In that case, you probably won't ever engage 4WD!

And just one more thought from me, having powered front wheels can really help get you out of a jam. If you're stuck in 2WD with lockers, you only have forward and reverse. If you are stuck with 4WD, you can turn the front wheels and you've added some left and right movement to the equation.

nv529 and genequit like this.
  5. Nov 30, 2015 at 5:26 AM
    Dagosa

Dagosa Well-Known Member

Member:
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2015 Taco TRD OR
    Debaged
    Sounds too like an AWD CRV or Subaru would be a bigger help. At least you can have econmy too.

6. Nov 30, 2015 at 5:38 AM
    Marshall R

Marshall R Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Marshall
    Vehicle:
    07 White TRD double cab
    none
    In the long run buying a 4X4 is about the same cost as 4X2. You pay more up front, but it is worth more when you trade it in years later. A 4X4 actually holds a much greater percentage of its initial cost so from that perspective they are cheaper in the long run. You'll get less than 1 mpg worse fuel mileage. I've never found any difference in insurance costs.

Even with a locking diff you'll have both rear wheels in slick stuff on a boat ramp while your front wheels (the ones on dry pavement) can get traction. Even without a locking diff, the front wheels do a lot more to get you through stuff. If only the rear wheels have power they have to push the front wheels through sand or mud. If the front wheels have power they stay on top of the mud or sand. It's almost impossible to steer a 4X2 vehicle once in mud or sand.

There is no way I'd consider a 4X2 truck. Just because you live in south Florida doesn't mean you'll never visit other places. I live in N. Georgia, but my Tacoma has been everywhere between Miami and Montana. We were able to get onto beaches near Amelia Island Florida last spring where 4X2 vehicles were stuck. I had to pull 2 out of the sand and it was comforting crossing the Rockies in a snowstorm 3 years ago in late October.

nv529 and mykaelp like this.
  7. Nov 30, 2015 at 5:43 AM
    Dagosa

Dagosa Well-Known Member

Member:
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2015 Taco TRD OR
    Debaged
    With all due respect, there is a significant difference in econmy between the two in real life. Only on EPA ratings is their just one mpg diffence. For one thing, a 4 cyl is a viable option in two wheel where in 4 wheel, it is not. Like I said, it sounds like. A Subbie would be better

8. Nov 30, 2015 at 5:57 AM
    Emmohl

Emmohl Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 SR5
    South FL=2wd unless you go out of your way to put your self in a spot where you need 4wd. I went from 4wd to 2wd in May and it's never been an issue. My Father in law has a Subaru hatch with awd and it's a blast to drive.

Dagosa likes this.
  9. Nov 30, 2015 at 5:59 AM
    SamChieftan

SamChieftan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Dallas, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD OR AUTO 4x4 Super White
    Interior LEDs, Truck Mat, Door sills
    I have the TRD OR 4X4 AUTO, and I live in Texas. Not much need for 4x4 on the interstate, but I drive up to Canada once or twice a year. There can be a TON of snow, ice, rain etc. so definitely need the 4x4 and the locking diff for some gravel roads in northern Alberta.

One thing to consider is fuel mileage. I have 5500 miles on mine and about 95% of that is on the highway: I am averaging about 16 mpg. Many other 2wd sport are getting upwards of 23 mpg. I would NEVER again buy a "truck" without 4x4 or a vehicle without AWD except for maybe my trans am.

I am sure in your situation a 2wd would be fine mostly on the roads and no ice or snow, but if you get bitten by the off road bug like some of us .... you will love having a 4x4.

Take each type out for a test drive, and check youtube or this forum for some 4 wheeling videos and advice.

Good Luck and you will definitely love your Taco when you get one.

Dagosa likes this.
  10. Nov 30, 2015 at 6:25 AM
    viking15

viking15 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Here is my experience with 4x2 and 4x4. I owned two 4x2 pickups and I rarely go off road I live where we get some snow every two or three years. When this occurs the 4x2 are useless. Although you live in Florida you will more than likely at some point use your truck to drive to another state. The point is you don't know what sort of terrain you will encounter in that state. Case in point when I had my 4x2 my brother invited me to a deer hunting trip in North Carolina. When I got to my brothers house and told him I wanted to take my truck on the deer hunt the first thing he said is your truck a 4x4. I told him it was a 4x2. He looked at me and said you are not going to make it in those North Carolina woods with a 4x2. Also 4x4 keep their value when you want to sell or trade the truck. Trust me I got my first 4x4 Trd sport in 2006 and never looked back. I will never buy another 4x2 truck again

Guat likes this.
  11. Nov 30, 2015 at 7:26 AM
    Gatordog

Gatordog Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    18 TRD SPORT DCLB4x4
    He said two magic words. Kayaks and South Florida. Doubt he's going to need 4x4. And just like me, why in the hell would I drive up North during winter with or without 4x4? Um that's why I moved out of that crap :)

12. Nov 30, 2015 at 7:31 AM
    Dr. Ama

Dr. Ama Well-Known Member

Member:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    2016 White Limited
    I'd say 4x4. They make the limited that way...

13. Nov 30, 2015 at 7:35 AM
    jimsmithrn

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Vehicle:
    That's actually three magic words! "Kayaks" and "South Florida.":)

Dagosa, nv529 and Gatordog[QUOTED] like this.
  14. Nov 30, 2015 at 7:42 AM
    viking15

viking15 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    You never know what tomorrow brings. IT is better to have it and not need it than to not have it and need it.

TacomaMike37 likes this.
  15. Nov 30, 2015 at 7:57 AM
    SilverBullet19

SilverBullet19 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Sacramento County
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCLB Prerunner TRD Sport
    Sounds like 2wd is fine. I bought mine knowing I would be taking it to the mountains for snowboarding often. Its something I've never needed 4x4 for so I didn't bother. Sounds like your kayak situation is similar.

Tons of people preach that you might as well get the 4x4 and that the cost isn't really different...but it is. Worse gas mileage and in most areas insurance does cost more. A lot of people told me the 4x4 gets the same gas mileage. My wife's dad had my same truck in 4x4 and gets 2-3 MPG worse than me on average (granted in part it is due to driving style etc). Insurance was about $15 more per month for 4x4, it adds up if you plan to keep the truck a while.

16. Nov 30, 2015 at 10:04 AM
    BAMA-256

BAMA-256 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rex
    Huntsville Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR 4x4 5 speed manual Past-2016 TRD Offroad 4x4
    Exact reason I bought 4x4! We rarely get snow but when we do, it's not a fun experience trying to get to work with 4x2

17. Nov 30, 2015 at 10:41 AM
    LowcountryScout

LowcountryScout Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDOR 4x4 DCSB SW
    Everyone has their own reasons for wanting 4x4. Mine is I hunt. 95% of the time 2WD is fine for me, but like others have stated...you don't need it until you need it. All it takes is one watery pot hole to = stuck. That happened to me yesterday. Turn a knob and i'm back on my way. You clearly have a dilemma going on in your head and your the only on that can answer if you need it. I'd be willing to say if you haven't gotten stuck yet you don't need it. But if you plan on being a little more adventurous I would get the 4WD. It sure came in handy during the flooding my area had lately. Bogged up the dirt roads pretty bad if it didn't wash them out. Correct me if I'm wrong but the only thing the limited has over a TRD is leather seats and bigger rims. The TRD on the other hand has a locking rear differential. Leather can be added later.
    :boom:

18. Nov 30, 2015 at 10:43 AM
    jimsmithrn

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Vehicle:
    And crawl control. Haters gonna hate on crawl control, but it's pretty freakin' good at what it does.

Novo and LowcountryScout[QUOTED] like this.
  19. Nov 30, 2015 at 10:53 AM
    LowcountryScout

LowcountryScout Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDOR 4x4 DCSB SW
    You're 100% right. To me you just get more functionality and cool knobs/buttons with the TRD that cannot be added later to the Limited.

20. Nov 30, 2015 at 11:14 AM
    Garyji

Garyji Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Western North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2016 BR SR5 DCSB V6 4WD. TRD Pro 17's, BFG KO2's
    It's been said before, To me, if I need it just once in my lifetime, it's worth it to have it.
    I'll never be without it.

G.

Products Discussed in

To Top