1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

4x4 Access Cab 4-cylinder above 8,000 feet

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by MountainEarth, Apr 24, 2011.

1. Apr 24, 2011 at 2:19 AM
    MountainEarth

MountainEarth [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR Access
    Leer 100XR Shell, BedRug mat - comfy sleeping, GT Covers microfiber seat covers, BFG All Terrains 265/70r16, Dashmat, Antennax 13" shorty antenna, Weathertech liners, Ultra Gauge, Avid Light Bar, PIAA 520 ATPs, one old dog
    With gas prices rising, I'm beginning to rethink my need for a V6. The power is great, but I don't really tow. I drove an 86 4Runner with a 22RE for years, and it was great on gas .. but slow at altitude. I mean 3rd gear and floored at 40-45 mph slow.

So with that in mind, I'm looking for a real specific group of guys and gals ... ones with 1st hand experience driving manual tranny 4x4 4-cylinder 2nd gens at altitude. And by altitude, I mean over 8,000 feet.

That pretty much means I'm focused on your Rocky Mountain guys ... or people who have visited. In particular, I'm interested in the access cab. How does it do? Over Vail Pass or through the Eisenhower Tunnel for example? Still floored in 3rd? I don't mind a slower truck. Just not back to my 86 4Runner slow. That was laborious. And while we're at it, if you are in the Rockies, what's your mixed mpg with the 4-cylinder?

Again, I would love 1st hand experience only. The 4-cylinder is great in the lowlands. How's it way up high?

2. Apr 24, 2011 at 6:20 AM
    wyotaco06

wyotaco06 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Offroad 4x4 06
    On teton pass here in Jackson WY the top is around 9,000ft. A girl that lives on the other side in Idaho is a snowboard partner of mine and I have gone up the pass in her 05 access cab I4 4x4. It has to be floored pretty much the entire way up and can maybe go 45mph tacked out in 3rd. The grade is 10% on each side. The bottom of the pass on both sides is 6500ft

3. Apr 24, 2011 at 6:24 AM
    jspadaro

jspadaro Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    Former Tacoma Owner
    Blue Oval Mod
    I have enough trouble up near the AT in Tennessee which peaks around 5k according to GPS. Keep your V6 unless you wanted to supercharge the i4, dude!

It would be slooooow

4. Apr 24, 2011 at 6:25 AM
    jspadaro

jspadaro Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    Former Tacoma Owner
    Blue Oval Mod
    Plus, if you already own the v6, you have to factor in the loss on the v6 and the extra you'd have to pay for the 4-cylinder. It probably won't save enough gas to be worth that.

5. Apr 24, 2011 at 6:08 PM
    MountainEarth

MountainEarth [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR Access
    Leer 100XR Shell, BedRug mat - comfy sleeping, GT Covers microfiber seat covers, BFG All Terrains 265/70r16, Dashmat, Antennax 13" shorty antenna, Weathertech liners, Ultra Gauge, Avid Light Bar, PIAA 520 ATPs, one old dog
    Thanks guys... that's what I was thinking. I know Teton pass well, so that's a great comparison to my conditions (I live at 8650 feet and the pass I regularly drive starts at 6200 though grade is no more than 6%). The new I4s are much more powerful than they used to be, but the Taco is now so damn heavy. I'd love to test it out, but no dealer would let me take a two hour test drive up into the high country to give it a proper workout. Guess I'll stick with the 6. Rep to both of you.

6. Apr 26, 2011 at 9:10 AM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    Just went over a whole series of 7/8000 ft passes between Cali and Utah.

Not setting any speed records, but holding 65+ after dropping down to third at about 4500 rpm.

That being said, my cuumulative average mpgs over the last 8000 miles is only 15.3, so I hold with those who say it's not worth it to make a switch.

Products Discussed in

To Top